PDA

View Full Version : Tanning at NPC Master's

MsGuns
05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
"you can only use the company "on the mark" it has their information in the rules and regs for the show and if you use anyone else you risk the chance of being disqualified."

stated by Lisa Boushard on another site....

Did yall know that?

2hot4u
05-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Make UP - Siouxcountry.com

hate to post from a different website but this is where i saw it.

MsGuns
05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Make UP - Siouxcountry.com (http://siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=7224)

hate to post from a different website but this is where i saw it.

Lisa, thx for posting cause I just looked at every page on Gary's site and didnt see anything about you HAD to use On the Mark.

esplendido
05-31-2009, 11:33 PM
WOW! That's a direct attack on Dave and Colette, who did dozens of competitors at last year's show.....and, I believe, is illegal in enforcement. The promoter cannot dictate what services a competitor uses to get ready for the show.
Of course, Manion and Udit are buddies, so I bet taking it to the NPC will get one nowhere.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-31-2009, 11:34 PM
It actually says no other spray tanning at the event hotel. If you do it somewhere else you're fine.

esplendido
05-31-2009, 11:36 PM
It actually says no other spray tanning at the event hotel. If you do it somewhere else you're fine.

Again, Gary cannot possibly enforce a disqualification for violating his mandate. Show me in the NPC rules where he can.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-31-2009, 11:40 PM
What's worse to me is no weights or dumbells in the pump up room. He says to bring bands to pump up, lol, bands are so damn weak. I had a better idea, lol. I am buying an old spring exerciser on ebay, and a bullworker... they aren't weights, hehe.

esplendido
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
And I must say, the Masters Nationals needs a change of venue and promoter. The only benefit to the hotel is the dining room and the river view. The pump and oil room sucks with carnival mirrors and no weights. The stage sucks in that you can barely get 6 competitors on it, and the conference hall it's held in sucks with level floor seating from front to back.
The show is run on the CHEAP! I've been in local shows with less than 40 competitors that had a better venue, better pump facilities, and MUCH better trophies.
The thing (and it's the only thing, in my estimation) that Gary does well is pushing the evening show along in a timely fashion, considering that there are over 400 competitors.
And that's my rub! His apparent greed. 400 competitors paying $100 per class, plus sponsors and exhibitors and spectators. He's renting a conference hall, not a theater. He's buying $12 trophies (I looked them up). I know he has to pay a sanction fee and insurance, but please! We're talking gross revenues in $60,000+ range!

And he has the balls to say he'll disqualify anyone using another spray company located at the host hotel??? He can only control the rented venue, which is the hall and ancillary rooms for pumping and oiling and exhibitors!

HeavyDutyGuy
05-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Again, Gary cannot possibly enforce a disqualification for violating his mandate. Show me in the NPC rules where he can.

Oh I agree with you. Was just stating what was actually on the website. I thought maybe it was something passed down by the hotel.

esplendido
05-31-2009, 11:53 PM
Oh I agree with you. Was just stating what was actually on the website. I thought maybe it was something passed down by the hotel.

He's trying to protect the "official" tanning company. Anddddddd....the hotel might've complained about other tanning taking place in rooms that got spray all over the place. But the Hotel is aware of the tanning issue and provides old sheets and bedding for the competitors to protect the rooms with.

But like I said, the show needs a makeover, starting with the promoter and the venue.

MsGuns
06-01-2009, 12:00 AM

Where do you see that? on the link or on his site?

He needs to put it on his site..
Not everybody is a member of that site Lisa linked to.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Its right on his site. I don't even know why you'd look elsewhere, lol.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 12:24 AM
You know, I was just looking at his site, and I don't see it now. Either the keto is causing brain damage or he removed it. Maybe someone called him on it.

MsGuns
06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Its right on his site. I don't even know why you'd look elsewhere, lol.

You know, I was just looking at his site, and I don't see it now. Either the keto is causing brain damage or he removed it. Maybe someone called him on it.

It wasnt on his site...
Lisa, linked a post from him on another site...

The Big Sexy
06-01-2009, 12:33 AM
They may have worked out a contract with one spray tanning company to be the exclusive tanning for the show. Unfortunately, that contract isn't agreed upon by the athletes in the show - unless, on your entry form, you somewhere agree to that and are given special rates.

That being said - in order to even be enforced, you'd have to catch someone.

sassy69
06-01-2009, 12:37 AM
How the hell would they know where you got tanned???

The Big Sexy
06-01-2009, 12:39 AM
How the hell would they know where you got tanned???

Exactly

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 12:41 AM
It wasnt on his site...
Lisa, linked a post from him on another site...

I don't see it now. but I did on Friday. I knew about this 2 days ago..lol.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 12:45 AM
They may have worked out a contract with one spray tanning company to be the exclusive tanning for the show. Unfortunately, that contract isn't agreed upon by the athletes in the show - unless, on your entry form, you somewhere agree to that and are given special rates.

That's probably the case. As long as I'm not pissing off the hotel, who cares? I'm also getting a microwwave for my room, and it says you can't cook in your rooms. According to the guy at the Sheraton you can. I'm not walking to the lobby every hour to heat up half a yam- jesus. Come carry me down.

The Big Sexy
06-01-2009, 12:48 AM
That's probably the case. As long as I'm not pissing off the hotel, who cares? I'm also getting a microwwave for my room, and it says you can't cook in your rooms. According to the guy at the Sheraton you can. I'm not walking to the lobby every hour to heat up half a yam- jesus. Come carry me down.

You have to use the exclusive vendor for cooking that the event promoter set up... hours are from 9am-5pm for cooking food through the vendor... if you want your own food heated, you must pay $5 per heat-job. :)

I'm joking... :)

MsGuns
06-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Not on the entry form either...I looked...
I was wondering where Lisa saw it since I didnt see it on the website or entry form...
It's on a post made by Gary himself on another msg board...
I guess he 4got to come here and make it known...lol

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 01:01 AM
You have to use the exclusive vendor for cooking that the event promoter set up... hours are from 9am-5pm for cooking food through the vendor... if you want your own food heated, you must pay $5 per heat-job. :)

I'm joking... :)

Grrrrrrrrrr. Strangulations will proceed according this schedule, first masters men, then bikini, then womens bodybuilding..

The Big Sexy
06-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Not on the entry form either...I looked...
I was wondering where Lisa saw it since I didnt see it on the website or entry form...
It's on a post made by Gary himself on another msg board...
I guess he 4got to come here and make it known...lol

Yeah - that sounds like either some sort of a rumor (the tanning deal) or a deal was struck between the promoter and tanner that they would be the official spray-tan for the show - and in such, they put out a nasty rumor you will get disqualified if you use any other tanner at the host hotel.

An unenforceable threat - but, I'm sure there might be more than a handful who wouldn't take a chance... no?

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I don't see it now. but I did on Friday. I knew about this 2 days ago..lol.

I don't know how to say this any clearer, it was on some part of his site or some of his materials before, I don't even know what website she goes to, lol. There is a new rule too, posing routines are limited to 60 seconds now. I'm glad I am using a 60 second song now, lol.

esplendido
06-01-2009, 01:09 AM
I don't know how to say this any clearer, it was on some part of his site or some of his materials before, I don't even know what website she goes to, lol. There is a new rule too, posing routines are limited to 60 seconds now. I'm glad I am using a 60 second song now, lol.

It was 60 seconds last year, too.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Since when? I had a 1min 38 second piece prepared, which was 8 seconds longer, I called him and asked him and he said it was fine. Guess he changed that later and didn't tell anyone til later either.

esplendido
06-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Gary does that.....makes exceptions, which is what drives me nuts about his shows. For instance, last year he combined the women BBing lightweight and middleweight classes in the 45-over because he thought he wouldn't have enough in middleweight. He ended up with 6 middleweight and 9 lightweight. My wife was a lightweight and got 7th, when all 6 of the middleweight women placed above her. She could've won the lightweight had Gary not made the change at the last minute....which is bullshit anyway. If only one person comes to a class, they're the winner! Why should they have to compete against others bigger or smaller by a whole class???

MsGuns
06-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Gary does that.....makes exceptions, which is what drives me nuts about his shows. For instance, last year he combined the women BBing lightweight and middleweight classes in the 45-over because he thought he wouldn't have enough in middleweight. He ended up with 6 middleweight and 9 lightweight. My wife was a lightweight and got 7th, when all 6 of the middleweight women placed above her. She could've won the lightweight had Gary not made the change at the last minute....which is bullshit anyway. If only one person comes to a class, they're the winner! Why should they have to compete against others bigger or smaller by a whole class???

really WOW!!!!!
Everybody always says he has good shows thats why a lot of people do them...

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 01:56 AM
I would have gone to the NPC on that one. That's not even following their rules.

esplendido
06-01-2009, 02:15 AM

really WOW!!!!!
Everybody always says he has good shows thats why a lot of people do them...

They do his shows because he has numerous pro cards to give out, plain and simple. If he didn't have the pro cards, his shows would be a lot smaller. He does the North American, in which he just got to expand the pro cards to 50-over Masters, too.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Rick, you're not a fan I take it. And you seem a pretty positive guy. I thought it was just me.

SpeedoGuido
06-01-2009, 02:31 AM
What's worse to me is no weights or dumbells in the pump up room. He says to bring bands to pump up, lol, bands are so damn weak. I had a better idea, lol. I am buying an old spring exerciser on ebay, and a bullworker... they aren't weights, hehe.

And I must say, the Masters Nationals needs a change of venue and promoter.
snip
And he has the balls to say he'll disqualify anyone using another spray company located at the host hotel???

Gary sounds like a real piece of work.
Can you at least bring your own dumbells?
And this is the Masters Nationals???
You gotta' be kidding me...... why do people put up with this?

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 02:39 AM
No dumbells allowed in the pump up room... hence my idea.. (Ps I pumped up last year in the hotel fitness center, f..k that chit lol).

esplendido
06-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Rick, you're not a fan I take it. And you seem a pretty positive guy. I thought it was just me.

I really have nothing against Gary as a person. He's probably a cool cat. He just can't promote shows well, especially the top attended show in the universe (with over 400 competitors). But he's in tight with Manion and it's unlikely to change. That's the politics of BBing....

HeavyDutyGuy
06-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Oh I like most people in this sport, as people. But, this is important to me and I expect professionalism, or make way for someone who will. Nothing personal at all. I kill myself in the gym, do hours of cardio, diet on foods on I barely tolerate, and am tired a lot. I expect a lot back. I think that's only fair.

esplendido
06-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Oh I like most people in this sport, as people. But, this is important to me and I expect professionalism, or make way for someone who will. Nothing personal at all. I kill myself in the gym, do hours of cardio, diet on foods on I barely tolerate, and am tired a lot. I expect a lot back. I think that's only fair.

Agreed!

tammyp
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
these same rules apply at north americans.

sassy69
07-05-2009, 03:31 PM
This sort of thing is not uncommon across the NPC. I'm sure there's a history behind some of it - things getting destroyed at the venue, people walking off the w/ the DBs, having to supply the DBs in the first place, etc. And of course, creating value for those who get "exclusive" deals to be "The Official" tanner, whatever... I wonder what that little deal is worth to the promoter...? Well its a business.

At the end of the day, I carry everything for myself.

RE: bands -- dude if you want serious bands, go get them from EliteFTS (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=245)

chicken breast
07-05-2009, 05:15 PM
The stage sucks in that you can barely get 6 competitors on it, and the conference hall it's held in sucks with level floor seating from front to back.
The show is run on the CHEAP! I've been in local shows with less than 40 competitors that had a better venue, better pump facilities, and MUCH better trophies.

I agree about the stage and the conference hall sucking. The stage is a portable rental that's small, metal and flimsy. It's cramped in a line-up. In contrast, I competed two weeks later at the Dexter Jackson Classic. The venue was a beautiful new theater with lighting and a custom set design. No expense was spared. The difference between the two shows was startling.

hifrommike65
07-12-2009, 01:12 PM
---

HeavyDutyGuy
07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Bands are pretty weak for a strong bodybuilder. I have one but got it for my clients. There are better alternatives. I have a 3 spring exerciser and a Bullworker that I bought online I'm using this time. I'm not making the same mistake twice, Iworked too hard the past 6 months to have it messed up at the last minute.

SpeedoGuido
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
No one is twisting your arm to do the Masters Nationals. If you don't like the way it's set up, stay home.

ok.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Having been away for 12 years in a pumpkin patch I was unaware of spray on tans until I saw one in action on a near nakie girlie at the L.A. FitExpo last Feb.
I saw little if any difference from the Pro Tan base coats with a heavy Dream Tan on top I had applied to competitors in recent years. In fact, the best color I saw backstage and on this year in Pitt was on the eventual OA winner who did the 2 PT and 1 DT hand applied.

I will stick to the hand job (can I say that in here?) next year in Pitt.