PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Palumbo's Diet?

musclefocus
02-15-2009, 12:58 AM
:confused:

Can someone, anyone explain what is the "Palumbo's Diet"? Is it something like "The Anabolic Diet"? I want to get on it but need information about it :rolleyes:

Any info will be appreciated. :cool:

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 01:04 AM
:confused:

Can someone, anyone explain what is the "Palumbo's Diet"? Is it something like "The Anabolic Diet"? I want to get on it but need information about it :rolleyes:

Any info will be appreciated. :cool:

He has two diets

Are you interested in his contest prep diet, or bulking diet?

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Outline of Dave Palumbo's Diet For Cutting

The premise of the diet is high protein (about 1- 1 1/2 gram per pound), moderate fat (about 1/2 g per lb) and low low carbs (no direct sources of carbs). During this diet, the brain goes into ketosis (it uses ketone bodies for energy-- fats) and thus the energy requirements by the body can almost all be supplied by fats (which you'll be taking in plenty of). The only activity that uses carbs will be the weight workout which may use 40grams per workout. You will get these 40g indirectly through the foods you'll be eating. As a backup, the cheat meal you'll be having once per week will provide a storehouse of glycogen (glucose) in case of emergency. So, you see, very little gluconeogenesis in the liver will be occurring. If we keep cortisol low (by
restricting STIMULANTS) we'll ensure that muscle is spared!

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the
day so you dont cheat again.

Fiber helps burn fat! Everyone should take fiber 2x per day. Fiber actually helps increase the absorption of calcium.
When following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another 4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
"Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
"Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

For a 250lb+ man:
Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs

Remember, it takes 3-4 days to get into a strong ketosis where your brain is using ketone bodies (fats), instead of carbs, for energy. Be patient.

Many times I'll switch to an alternatiing diet where one day it will be protein/fat......then another protein/vegetables (very little fat). The great thing about the body and fat is that ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS can be stored in the muscle for several days, up to 2 weeks......therefore, once an adequate storehouse of Essential Fats are built up, the body can be "tortured" a little and it still won't give up muscle (that's assuming you're still taking in adequate protein. Protein can't be stored).

1oz almonds equals 6g carbs (2 of those grams are fiber) and 2oz equals 12g of carbs.

With the beef meal (any fatty protein meal), you should have the green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive or Mac oil INSTEAD of the nuts. Only eat the nuts with the LEAN PROTEIN MEAL (chicken, turkey, lean fish)

The best fat sources come from the essential fatty acids-- Omega-6 and Omega-3's. Most of us get plenty of Omega-6s from cooking oils, ect..........however the Omega-3's are harder to get. I recommend WHOLE OMEGA-3 EGGS, FaTTY FISHS like SALMON and SWORDFISH and TUNA and MACKEREL, ALMONDS and WALNUTS have some OMEGA-3's (as well as OMEGA-6s). ANother great fat source is MONOUNSATURATES such as EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL and MACADAMIA NUT OIL.....they aren't essential but they are great for the metabolism (great source of energy) and they are extremely good for your heart.

You're not getting any indirect sources of carbs (just from the 1 spoonful of PB.... you may want to have at least one 1/3cup nuts meal. Remember, Olive or Macadamia nut oil is predominantly a MONOUNSATURATED FAT (good for the heart, but not essential)........ the nuts, and fish oil have the essential fats in them. Also, with regard to FLAX SEED OIL, the OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids found in them (alpha-linolenic acid) has a very poor conversion to DHA and EPA (Essential Omega-3 intermediates) in the HUMAN........therefore, you're much better off taking in FISH OILS (that already contain DHA/EPA) than FLAX SEED OIL.

Once fat loss slows, I always increase cardio first, then I increase the amount of fat burners (clen, cytomel, lipolyze).........After those other methods are exhausted, only then, do I play with the diet.

Always eat BEFORE lifting........never BETWEEN lifting and cardio.
Artificial Sweetners:
The artificial sweetener itself (eg. aspartame, sucralose) wont cause a problem. It's what some companies complex it with. For example, EQUAL and SPLENDA combine their aspartame and sucrolose with 1g of maltodextrin........whereas, in diet drinks, they don't do that. So, diet drinks are okay, SPLENDA and EQUAL must be used in moderation (STEVIA BALANCE is fine though since they use inulin fiber instead of maltodextrin

Forget using:
-MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless. They can only serve as a source of energy!
-Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.

Cardio:
CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase, carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

never do less than 20 min per session

The BOTTOM LINE is that low intensity cardio (while you might need more of it) ensures that fat is utilized and muscle is spared (especially while on my high protein/moderate fat/low carb diety).

Do you feel the treadmill is better for cardio, or is the bike(stationary or recumbent) just as good? As long as the intensity is LOW, it doesn't matter which piece of equipment you use

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Mass Written by Dave Palumbo Monday, 25 September 2006 Whether it occurs while appearing at various bodybuilding contests around the country, or by daily email, or by personal cell phone inquisition, I am constantly accosted by the same question: How do I get HUGE? I have finally decided to put together the most definitive mass-gaining program available anywhere in the world. I can guarantee that if you follow the simple tenets that I will lay out before you in the next several paragraphs, you will find that your muscle-growing abilities will prosper.
FOOD INTAKE:
When attempting to gain mass, the most common pitfall confronted by most bodybuilders is that they simply do not consume enough protein. If you ask them if they eat enough, they all invariable reply,
"You wouldn't believe how much I eat!"
My response to that statement is,
"You've never seen me eat, have you?"
At that point, the inquisitor invariably starts getting nervous (as if they have finally come to grips with the fact that they're outgunned). My next inquiring question is,
"How much protein do you eat per day?"
to which most people answer,
"I'm not sure, but it's a lot!"
They aren't sure how much protein they eat, but they're sure that they eat a lot-now there's a real logician! Once I've reached this point in the "interview" process (as I like to call it), I realize what I am dealing with and I stop asking stupid questions that I definitely know the answers to. Instead, I help these individuals to construct a mass-gaining diet that will fit their particular needs (Remember: The main goal is to gain lean muscle mass while minimizing fat gains).
Another very important tenet of gaining mass is that, while frequent protein consumption is important, over-consumption of protein can also be detrimental to muscle gains. Because your body can only process so much protein at one sitting (this amount varies from individual to individual), consuming too much protein taxes the liver and kidneys (since these organs need to metabolize, detoxify, and excrete the extra protein) and this invariably stunts the body's ability to synthesize new muscle. Remember, we don't want to draw valuable energy needed for protein synthesis to help and aid the digestion and detoxification of excess protein.
Back in the early 90's, bodybuilders (myself included) were consuming 500-600g of protein per day in an effort to increase muscle gains. What we discovered in the last 5-10 years is that we were wasting most of this protein and causing our bodies to have to work extra hard to break it all down. Meanwhile, bodybuilders were greatly deprived of essential fats such as linoleic acid (omega-6 fats) and alpha linolenic acid (omega-3 fats), cholesterol-fats (from egg yolks and red meat) for steroidal hormone synthesis, and monounsaturated fats (such as olive oil and macadamia nut oil) for muscle cell membrane repair. What we were essentially doing back then was consuming huge amounts of protein and getting our fatty acid requirements indirectly by way of all the protein we ate (all animal protein sources also contain fat). The problem was that we were only getting animal fat protein. This still left us in a fat-deprived state. If you fail to consume essential fats in your diet (just as if you fail to eat enough protein), the end result will be stifled muscle gains (if on a bulking cycle) or reduced fat losses (if on a diet).
TAKE HOME MESSAGE: The body does not like to be deprived of protein or fat-- both are essential nutrients for optimum lean muscle gains. On the other hand, carbohydrates (of which I have not even mentioned once) are completely unessential nutrients. If, as bodybuilders or regular sedentary individuals, we were never to consume another gram of carbohydrates, our bodies would continue to grow muscle and metabolize fat without a single hesitation (and most of us would find that we got much leaner, as well). If some of you think I have a secret weapon in my arsenal of muscle-building, fat-burning, techniques, you're correct. It's called KNOWLEDGE!
To reiterate, carbohydrates are not considered essential nutrients in the muscle-building process; however, they are a very necessary source of energy when in a mass-gaining stage since we do not want to use all the essential muscle-building fat to fuel our workouts. When in a gaining stage, then, carbohydrates are a great energy source to preserve the dietary protein and fat for muscle-building purposes. While in a dieting stage; however, fat becomes a much more desirable energy source since it suppresses insulin release (carbs stimulate insulin release), it helps the body to maintain energy levels while on a reduced calorie diet (carbohydrates being the reduced calories), it provides essential fatty acids to the body which prevents protective "preservation" modes from occurring (whereby fat mobilization is halted), and it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels (reducing food cravings and increasing satiety).

EXAMPLE OF A TYPICAL MASS GAINING DIET:

MEAL 1:
6 whole omega-3 eggs with 1 cup of oatmeal

MEAL 2:
Meal Replacement SHAKE with a liquid carbohydrate drink (such as GATORAIDE or ULTRAFUEL)

MEAL 3:
½ pound (8oz) of chicken (or turkey or filet of sole or shrimp) with ½ cup nuts (almonds, cashews, or walnuts) with 1 cup RICE

MEAL 4:
Same as MEAL 2

MEAL 5:
½ pound (8oz) of red meat (or salmon or swordfish) with a salad with 2 tablespoon of olive or macadamia nut oil and vinegar with 1 baked potato and/or yam

MEAL 6: Same as MEAL 3

MEAL 7: Same as MEAL 2

MEAL 8: 6 whole omega-3 eggs with1 cup grits

SUGGESTED MASS-GAINING SUPPLEMENTS:

1. Multivitamin 2 x per day (take all vitamins with food): Men should take a multivitamin "without iron" added (women require iron since they lose blood, and thus, iron when they menstruate monthly)
2. Vitamin C 1000mg 2 x per day (anti-oxidant): Antioxidants prevent damage from free radicals (which can further damage muscle cells even after the workout is completed). By reducing cellular damage to muscle tissue, it enables the damaged muscle (from training) to repair itself at a greatly accelerated rate
3. Vitamin E (with Selenium) 400IU 2x per day (anti-oxidant): Two other vital Antioxidants.
4. Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills 1000mg2-3x per day (essential omega-3 fats)
5. Evening Primrose Oil 1300mg 2 x per day (essential omega-6 fats): As mentioned before, essential fatty acids are required to help rebuild broken down tissues in the body. If not consumed, daily, they will, essentially, stunt future muscle growth.
6. MSM Powder (for joints and tissue repair) 2000mg 2 x per day: All bodybuilders, at one time or another, have had joint pain and/or injuries. MSM is an extremely bio-available source of sulfur that is vital in the repair of connective tissue (joint surfaces, ligaments, tendons, and cartilage). Sulfur is also a necessary component in the repair and synthesis of muscle tissue and since we don't eat many foods that are high in sulfur, MSM becomes a very desirable supplement to the mass-gaining or contest-dieting bodybuilder.
7. Glucosamine sulfate 1000mg 2x per day: Glucosamine sulfate is another component of connective tissue that is very rarely consumed in the diet (since not many people eat ligaments and tendons along with there chicken breasts and filet mignons). Ingesting adequate amounts of glucosamine, has, experimentally, been illustrated to aid in the repair of torn meniscal cartilages, degenerative joint surfaces, and weak ligaments and tendons.
8. Creatine 5 grams 2 x per day (5g in the morning/ 5g after you train): Creatine is one of the most incredible natural supplements to hit the market. Its strong presence, even after almost 10 years on the market, is a testament to its truly unique abilities. It does two distinct, yet invaluable, jobs in the body.
First, it causes a volumizing (swelling) effect on the muscle cells such that the muscles find themselves in an extremely anabolic environment 24 hours a day. NOTE: Muscle cells love to be well hydrated. In fact, dehydrated muscle cells are very catabolic-that is, they are much more likely to break down.
Second, Creatine buffers ATP levels in muscle tissue (ATP is the only energy source that powers the muscle cells). The reason your muscles never run out of energy is because Creatine (as Creatine-phosphate inside the muscle cell) ensures that ATP levels are constantly regenerated. The more Creatine found inside the muscle cell, the greater the potential source of ATP. This is a great advantage to over-trained, contest, bodybuilders and endurance athletes who require tremendous stores of ATP to fuel these long, strenuous workouts.