PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me with this number.. 628 ng/dl low or normal?

xxterxx
06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
just got back my dad's lab test... it shows 628ng/dl of test levels... the lab guys says its normal..havent went to the endo yet... will be going tommorow... are these levels okay? BTW he is 74 years old and not on TRT

2ndly... his TSH levels is very low... what impact will this have..any guys have any idea...

thanks alot

JG1
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
thats a fantastic level for 74y old!

xxterxx
06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
i was quite surprised too... as the lab guys says this is actually very high for a 74 year old..

but my dad feels weak all the time... and he has been getting skinnier and losing weight...i thought it might be test levels...

JG1
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
may need T3

Tatyana
06-01-2009, 11:52 AM
may need T3

A low TSH indicates the opposite.

The feedback mechanism of high levels of T3 and T4 shuts off the TSH stimulation to the thyroid gland to release more T3 and T4, so it is low.

A high TSH means the pituitary gland is sending a signal to the thyroid gland as it isn't producing enough T3 and T4.

If anything he is hyperthyroid, it depends on how low as normal is as low as 0.4 mIU/L.

His testosterone levels may be so high as he is hyperthyroid and it increases metabolism as that is abnormally high for a man is age (it is in the 6280 pg/ml, 22 nmol/L, or 35 pmol/L - yes all the different units for how testosterone is reported is confusing).

Tatyana
06-01-2009, 11:53 AM
i was quite surprised too... as the lab guys says this is actually very high for a 74 year old..

but my dad feels weak all the time... and he has been getting skinnier and losing weight...i thought it might be test levels...

That is also a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

Dr. Joel Nathan
06-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes, the Test is high but what is his free Testosterone. As we age, steroid binding globulins occur and snatch up a lot ot the testosterone.
He should get free testosterone, estradiol, PSA and DHT levels as well as lipid panel. Feel free to write to me those values.

These answers are for educational purposes only, please consult your health care practitioner as to what is right for your individual case.
Regards,
Joel

just got back my dad's lab test... it shows 628ng/dl of test levels... the lab guys says its normal..havent went to the endo yet... will be going tommorow... are these levels okay? BTW he is 74 years old and not on TRT

2ndly... his TSH levels is very low... what impact will this have..any guys have any idea...

thanks alot

maxititer
06-03-2009, 02:57 AM
high TSH is not good as it can cause thyroid hyperplasia

Oh sorry ... if his TSH low and his T4 low, then he may need to run combined hypotolamic-pituitary stimulation test, if T4 high then it is hyperthyroidism

Dr. Joel Nathan
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
high TSH is not good as it can cause thyroid hyperplasia

Oh sorry ... if his TSH low and his T4 low, then he may need to run combined hypotolamic-pituitary stimulation test, if T4 high then it is hyperthyroidism

Maxititer,
Thanks for your comment. I respect your extensive knowledge by our previous communications.

For educational purposes only: When prescribing thyroid hormone in the elderly, it needs to be done by his health care professional. When metabolism is speeded up by exogenous thyroid such as Armour Thyroid or T3, one has to be monitored. It could cause palpitations or other cardiac issues.

Regards,
Joel