PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this chest workout!

Sliced N Diced
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Incline DB Press: 4x8-10
Flat DB Press: 3x8-10
Incline Hammer Press: 3x8-10
Incline DB Flye: 3x10-12
DB Pullover: 3x8-10 OR should I do pec deck

I dont use barbells due to the fact it doesent hit my chest, only my shoulders. Im looking for more of a upper chest, but still want to hit the lower and overall as you can see. Thoughts? Concerns? This is a good amount of sets for me, I respond better to high volume. Thanks! I also will finish off with a 90 second extreme stretch.

buster12
06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I here you on the barbell thing.

Sliced N Diced
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah man, they are garbage in my opinion....

REDBULL250
06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I hate the barbell too and i'm always working on improving my upper chest so I started doing smith machine incline presses to my nose and can feel my upper chest working better than a lot of things i've done in the past.

militantmuscle
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Try focusing on different rep ranges, grip widths, and tempos. Utilize beyond failure techniques such as negatives, partials, static holds and rest pause.

For instance with flat bench try performing your reps halfway from the beginning of the rep. That might alleviate shoulder involvement to some degree.

Blzeebub
06-04-2009, 06:16 AM
...dips? Have a look for Gironda dips - it's about technique. Also alternate pushing and flying movements. Prioritise with weight and compound movements then progress to isolation movements. Tempo is a key, slower concentric, pause then accelerate. Feel the movement. To quote a certain Mr O - 'stimulate, don't annihilate'.

joe-yamma
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
read this article:
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=230

some great info and one of my favorite chest workouts.
sometimes i'll start with cable cross-overs to warm-up my shoulders and pre-pre-fatigue my chest. (the db flyes are the pre-fatigue)

this approach pre-fatigues your pecs so that they fatigue before the supporting muscles (front delts, tri's, etc)

on the incline bench, you won't be able to handle anything close to your normal weight.
check your ego at the door, drop the weight, and focus on contracting your pecs on each reps...
don't get caught just trying to move the weight.

joe-yamma
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
...dips? Have a look for Gironda dips - it's about technique. Gironda dips are awesome!
totally different feel than regular dips if you do them right.

REDBULL250
08-13-2009, 08:38 PM
read this article:
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=230

some great info and one of my favorite chest workouts.
sometimes i'll start with cable cross-overs to warm-up my shoulders and pre-pre-fatigue my chest. (the db flyes are the pre-fatigue)

this approach pre-fatigues your pecs so that they fatigue before the supporting muscles (front delts, tri's, etc)

on the incline bench, you won't be able to handle anything close to your normal weight.
check your ego at the door, drop the weight, and focus on contracting your pecs on each reps...
don't get caught just trying to move the weight.

Just read this. Sweet Article!
Thanks bro,

crashcrew56
08-13-2009, 10:20 PM
That workout looks good, I like to use dumbells myself when I'm not doing shirt benching.

One question is anything done to failure in that workout?

I would suggest changing up the reps from time to time, try mixing up if you start with flat or incline DB press. I'm not a big fan of pullovers, I think they are hard on my shoulders, I would actually suggest cable flyes from high to low instead, I also don't like pec-deck it's also hard on my shoulders