PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the Beast: Journey to Team Universe

The Beast
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Well I started my diet yesterday and now have 16 fun weeks before I step on stage at Team Universe. This past weekend I finished my off-season with a powerlifting meet. Powerlifting was so much fun and I learned a lot about my body and its limitations.

This was a USPF meet and was held in Chicago at Lance's gym...this was actually my coach, Lance Karabel's gym. I hit 8 out of 9 lifts, just missing my last bench attempt.

My lifts:
Squat: 345 374 391
Bench: 175 203 ---
Dead: 374 385 402

I totaled 996. Overall I felt good about the meet although I think we stayed a bit too conservative as I would have loved to total over 1000 and I think I had quite a bit left in for the squat as that 391 went up easy but it will have to wait until next year!

Now I have switched gears and am hoping to make the lightweight class. On Saturday I weighed into my meet at 148...

fitmomma3
06-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Will def be following along!!!
How tall are you and what is your projected comp weight?
How will your training change pre contest vs. offseason? I know Lori trained PL style right up until like 9 weeks out last year, very impressive while dieting!
Are you still working with Dave?
Sorry I'm not writing a book or anything lol I'm just a HUGE FAN!

Angela123
06-02-2009, 03:43 AM
Oh, sweet. I'll be following along Jen! Can't wait to see what you bring to the stage!

Congrats on your powerlifting meet, great job!

tammyp
06-02-2009, 06:21 AM
misery loves company jen in the dieting world. welcome to hell.:)

The Beast
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
misery loves company jen in the dieting world. welcome to hell.:)

lmao Tammy...I am barely mentally ready to diet and I have had over a year off-I feel for you girl!!

The Beast
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Will def be following along!!!
How tall are you and what is your projected comp weight?
How will your training change pre contest vs. offseason? I know Lori trained PL style right up until like 9 weeks out last year, very impressive while dieting!
Are you still working with Dave?
Sorry I'm not writing a book or anything lol I'm just a HUGE FAN!

Thanks so much I defnitely appreciate the support...

5'3.3 and hopefully I will be a lightweight which is under 115
Well my off-season centered around powerlifting and I would do very heavy training with reps of 1-3 so that will definitely stop. Plus I wasa in the squat suit and bench shirt so I won't be using any of that. I stick to basic compound movements, reps between 8-12 and I try to lift as heavy as possible.

Honestly I have no idea how Lori did it!! There is a reason you eat so much when lifting that heavy, it messes with your central nervous system and without enough calories I would have been exhausted all the time.

Oh and I will start doing cardio :( ha, I didn't do any in my off-season...

Still working with Dave so I am preparing for HOURS worth of cardio...

The Beast
06-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Oh, sweet. I'll be following along Jen! Can't wait to see what you bring to the stage!

Congrats on your powerlifting meet, great job!

Thanks...what is up for you next? We need another Illinois girl to do the JR. USA's next year to keep it in the family :) Unless you are planning something bigger this year, I just haven't heard and didn't see a training journal.

The Beast
06-03-2009, 12:44 AM
My first workout back from my powerlifting meet and it felt good...its almost like starting over.

Biceps/Calves

Barbell Curls
40 x 15
50 x 12
60 x 8
70 x 8
70 x 6 (negative)

seated iso curl to the outside...hard to explain
20 3x8

bent over cable curls
20 2x10

neutral grip pullups
2 sets of 8

seated calf raises
45 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 10
90 x 10
115 x 8

then machine calf press with my parnter, no rest 70 lbs 7 sets of 10-12

followed by 45 minutes on the stairmill. It felt good to be back and have my show in mind...I was feeling nervous about not being motivated about Team Universe because I had been focusing so much energy on my powerlifting meet but now that I only have this single goal I can feel the excitment and anticipation for it.

Angela123
06-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks...what is up for you next? We need another Illinois girl to do the JR. USA's next year to keep it in the family :) Unless you are planning something bigger this year, I just haven't heard and didn't see a training journal.

Nothing for me this year. It stinks because I do love prepping, even though I complain about the diet and I like being on stage, even though I am a shy fry who gets nervous haha, but I really wanted to focus on some other things this year and also take some time to grow. I am hoping for a spring show (maybe IL State or Ottowa) and MAYBE Jr USAs if I'm ready for a national show. We'll see how I am looking. I'm sure I'll see you at Jr Nats and USAs though.

Your training looked good today, glad to hear you are back in the swing of things and feeling the excitment for TU already.

sweetjane57
06-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Jen, I was sooooo mad I had to miss your deadlifts. Nate kept texting me the lifts while I was at work...lol AWESOME LB'S FOR YA!!!!!! at Lance's, SIZE DOES MATTER :) anywho, Good Luck with your prep...anticipating the outcome, can't wait to see what an offseason of Powerlifting has done to the BEAST!

The Beast
06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Jen, I was sooooo mad I had to miss your deadlifts. Nate kept texting me the lifts while I was at work...lol AWESOME LB'S FOR YA!!!!!! at Lance's, SIZE DOES MATTER :) anywho, Good Luck with your prep...anticipating the outcome, can't wait to see what an offseason of Powerlifting has done to the BEAST!

lol :) so nice Nat, thanks! It was great to see you at the meet...we should really try and hook up at Lances to train a few times a month. I haven't been going down there since competing but if I could meet up with you it would be worth the drive. Let me know if you are interested and what days work for you.

The Beast
06-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I probably won't be posting all my workouts but every once in awhile I will try to. So 15 weeks left and I am still at 45 minutes of cardio, hopefully that won't change soon. Getting back into bbing training has been fun and left me sore, my leg workout this week was brutual even though I didn't push it too much, powerlifting is MUCH different!!

Shoulders today
Dumbell Press
20 x 12
30 x 10
40 x 8
45 x 8
50 x 8

Cable side raises
10 x 12
15 x 10
20 x 8

Machine Overhead press facing the seat
120 x 8
130 x 8
negative at 160 x 6

forehead on bench bent over back raises
20 3x10

we did a few sets of calves to finish off the workout. It was decent, Trina is dieting as well so 8 weeks from now should be interesting between the two of us :)

tammyp
06-10-2009, 07:07 AM
just checking in jen! hang in there....i am sending you fat melting thoughts:)

sweetjane57
06-11-2009, 01:10 AM
lol :) so nice Nat, thanks! It was great to see you at the meet...we should really try and hook up at Lances to train a few times a month. I haven't been going down there since competing but if I could meet up with you it would be worth the drive. Let me know if you are interested and what days work for you.

fo' sho'. The guys probably loved when you were there...lol. We can make it one of my off days if you can swing it. Mon/Tue. We are going on vaca till the 17th, so I will let ya know whats up the week after we come back.

2hot4u
06-15-2009, 07:00 AM
jen, how are things going? send your first set of pics off to dave? I have less than 5 weeks to go!! Have fun at the jr nationals this weekend.

keep us posted on your progress!!

The Beast
06-15-2009, 09:53 PM
So far things are going good, thanks Lisa....5 weeks??? you are so close...!!!

I had a great cheat meal this weekend and I am feeling pretty good in general, this is good considering I have nearly 14 weeks left. I weighed in at 138 so just about 10 pounds in 2 weeks but I know that will slow way down from here on out.

Saturday I had a great leg workout:

Leg Extensions s/s Seated Leg Curls
70 x 15 50 x 15
80 x 12 60 x 12
90 x 12 80 x 12
110 8x2 90 x 12

Leg Press
5 plates x 12
7 plates x 12
8 plates x 10
9 plates x 8

Lying Leg Curls
110 x 12
120 x 10
130 x 8
140 x 8

Hack Squats
1 plate x 12
1 and 1/4 x 10
drop set starting with 1 plate and 2 1/4's...6/6/6

Walking Lunges...24 steps
60 barbell 2x
80 barbell 1x

Loved the workout, was hurting by the end, my legs are still very sore...just getting back into bber workouts as opposed to powerlifting ones have been a struggle and my body is letting me know! My cheat meal at Cheesecake Factory the next night was a great reward though. :) omg if you haven't tried the pineapple upside down cheesecake I would STRONGLY recommend it.

sweetjane57
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
uh....9 plates! 810 pounds!?!?! Looks like we'll never do legs together! Lol

2hot4u
06-17-2009, 05:53 AM
was this 9 plates on each side or 9 plates total? Either way great job!!!
uh....9 plates! 810 pounds!?!?! Looks like we'll never do legs together! Lol

Erin
06-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey girl!!! Can't wait to see your progress! I didn't see you are Jr Nat's... :(

PJ BRAUN
06-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey Jen! Awesome seeing you Saturday! You were looking solid! keep up the good work!

sweetjane57
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Tony said you guys were gonna be training at Lance's this Sat.....you know WHAT TIME yet? We are training BACK, but It'd still be cool to meet up with you guys there.

arielkhadr
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Hey Jen! Thanks for fixing my tan haha :) you are awesome!

Steph Orr
06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Jen, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I loved your DL clip, damn your strong! Congratulations on your powerlifting season. Keep up the hard work and all the best.

The Beast
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
SOOOO the diet is already just killing me, I am not going to lie I am not the best dieter...that being said I need to do a better job of keeping up with this journal.

Last weekend at Jr. Nationals was a blast with Colette, we worked hard to get all of our competitors looking perfect on stage with color and makeup and hair. It was so much fun and super exhausting. Even though Colette tried to sabotage my diet I stayed on course and got in all my workouts and cardio.

Erin I didn't get a chance to go to womens prejudging unfortunately and I was hoping to run into you. At the night show I tried to stay low key as I was brain dead!

It was great seeing you too PJ, hopefully we will run into each other before Nationals...

Ariel you were fantastic, I can't get over how young you are and how talented!! It is only a matter of time...

Yes 9 plates on each side and that was pretty easy, I didn't want to show my boyfriend up as he was only doing 11 on each side and he weighs 260 ;) Leg press has always been pretty easy for me but it also depends on the machine, some are much easier then others. This particular machine keeps my back in a good position so I can push a lot. And Nat I think you could keep up with just about anything I could do! This weekend didn't work out with the Taste going on, traffic was TERRIBLE, it is SO hard for us to get going and downtown before 1 or 2 and since Lance closes the gym at 4 it makes it tough.

sweetjane57
06-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I hear ya on that traffic!!!! This past weekend was just about the worst yet(start of Taste and the Parade)...although the 3rd will be THE WORST for the city of Chicago!!!! We got there SUPER EARLY anyways, we had a Family Reunion to get to, so no biggie. There's always next time. Seriously though......I swear I can't remember ever going over 5?? on his leg press. NO WAY I can do 810!!!!! CRAZY STRONG!

The Beast
06-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Soon for sure, even if we go to an xsport...

So I sent my pics out to Dave this weekend and I can tell I have been making progress but my weight has barely moved in the past 2 weeks which is driving me CRAZY. I am sitting at 137ish so he upped my cardio to 65 minutes and moved my diet to 2/1, not too bad yet although if my weight doesn't start moving I will be doing a lot of crying.

I am going to start posting more pics but I am only going to start with one from this week...some function on my camera must be messed up because nearly all my pics come up fuzzy and I have no idea why. Also I am still a bit of a chunk so I will give it another week or so to post more shots.

Erin
06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah. Chunky. :confused:

Anyway... you are lookin' good!!! You know the drill... the scale always stalls. So flippin' frustrating.

2hot4u
08-09-2009, 06:48 AM
hey, where are you???

The Beast
08-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Hey girl :) thanks for checking in! I am still here just in the murk...kindof fell off the planet for awhile-got food poisoning last week which was horrible and have been super busy the past few weeks so I haven't been on the computer too much.

Training, other then when I was sick, has been good. I know I am preaching to the choir but I am just so hungry all the time. Less then 4 weeks left which is nothing, as Lori would tell me "you can do anything for 26 days..." not that I am counting!

Here are some pics from this morning...I am feeling ok about where I am at although my weight is still high, 126, lightweight seems a far way off!! I do think my scale may weigh a little heavy BUT I can't count on that so I am a bit nervous. Oh there is also a few pics from a wedding I was in last week showing what I am thinking I am going to attempt to do to my hair for the show. It is a bit hard to see but almost a nod to the 50's....

Let me know what you think!

SallyAnne
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I am so impressed with your strength, Jen. Oh, and I love the hair style. Very pretty.

How are you feeling?

MsGuns
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey Jen- looking ready! Will you be wearing the blue suit? You should wear you hair up for PJ and down (like the wedding pic) for finals.

sweetjane57
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Looks like the squatting paid off:) Arms are looking huge!(IN A GOOD WAY!lol)

Don't let the scale play tricks with your mind girl......just stay strong and keep pushing!!!!

The Beast
08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Sally Anne...thanks :) to be honest I can't wait to get back to powerlifting!! If we are ever in the same place at the same time we should definitely train together...

As far as how I am feeling...in regards to the food poisoning I am 100% better but it was a scary 2 days. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was that sick but since Wednesday I have been good! Mentally I feel like I have about an IQ of 70 maybe :)

MsGuns - yep that is my new day suit...slightly different cut from last year and I am not crazy about it. The fabric is a bit more stretchy so it just seems a little big but I will tighten the straps a bit and it should be ok. I will definitely wear my hair down for prejudging though...I love the sexy pretty look even if I lose just a touch of the balance in my physique from having it pulled to the side...gotta work that stage!!!

Thanks guys for helping keep me going, you know that last month is a bit of a bitch.

The Beast
08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Looks like the squatting paid off:) Arms are looking huge!(IN A GOOD WAY!lol)

Don't let the scale play tricks with your mind girl......just stay strong and keep pushing!!!!

Thanks Nat! I am hoping I put on some size....so are you doing the Ironman?? If so I CANNOT wait to see you, also will you be at the Continental? hope so

MsGuns
08-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Sally Anne...thanks :) to be honest I can't wait to get back to powerlifting!! If we are ever in the same place at the same time we should definitely train together...

As far as how I am feeling...in regards to the food poisoning I am 100% better but it was a scary 2 days. Honestly I can't remember the last time I was that sick but since Wednesday I have been good! Mentally I feel like I have about an IQ of 70 maybe :)

MsGuns - yep that is my new day suit...slightly different cut from last year and I am not crazy about it. The fabric is a bit more stretchy so it just seems a little big but I will tighten the straps a bit and it should be ok. I will definitely wear my hair down for prejudging though...I love the sexy pretty look even if I lose just a touch of the balance in my physique from having it pulled to the side...gotta work that stage!!!

Thanks guys for helping keep me going, you know that last month is a bit of a bitch.

SWEET! the suit is going to bring your eyes out more. WORK IT! Good news on feeling better...stay away from food...i know i know...lol

tammyp
08-24-2009, 08:14 AM
looking good jen! hang in there.....trust me i feel your pain....i got 5 days to make weight!

The Beast
08-28-2009, 01:10 AM
So I am still making it day by day...I was just thinking how screwed up my head gets and how it is kindof funny the things that I think most bodybuilders do to try to make the process easier.

Does anyone else try to negotiate down the number of days in their head as they get closer to the show. In reality I am 23 days away from my show, just over 3 weeks. Now I fly out on Thursday to New York so I count it actually as 3 weeks, 21 days BUT my last training day will be the Wednesday before so really that is like 20 days and my workouts are done for the day so really I am in the teens, 19...nineteen...and shit I can do anything for 19 days that is barely over 2 weeks.

Maybe it is just me though

IslandGirl
08-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Hey Jen! You can do this. Not much longer to go.

I do the countdown thingee too. Esp for cardio! LOL Helps the time past for me.....

It was great meeting you in Vegas!

sweetjane57
08-30-2009, 07:36 PM
So I am still making it day by day...I was just thinking how screwed up my head gets and how it is kindof funny the things that I think most bodybuilders do to try to make the process easier.

Does anyone else try to negotiate down the number of days in their head as they get closer to the show. In reality I am 23 days away from my show, just over 3 weeks. Now I fly out on Thursday to New York so I count it actually as 3 weeks, 21 days BUT my last training day will be the Wednesday before so really that is like 20 days and my workouts are done for the day so really I am in the teens, 19...nineteen...and shit I can do anything for 19 days that is barely over 2 weeks.

:lmao:too funny.
I do NOT think I have done that.......YET!!!! ha
We were not planning on making the Continental, but now we are:) So I will see you there.....
Keep pushin', one day at a time!

musclemilf
08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
A very strong and pretty young lady! You ladies never cease to amaze me. I come here to get inspired by all of you.

SallyAnne
08-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Erin and I were just having this conversation in another thread - except I was giving myself more time. lol

...but yes - I distinctly remember my last prep getting down to the end and doing the exact same thing.

The Beast
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
thanks musclemilf :)

Well I made it through another day but Dave wasn't easy on me this week...my cardio has been increased to 2:30 and no more fat days PLUS he cut my protein to 4 oz per meal.

Normally I LOVE my fat ass but I am just about tired of it now. I can get through this, only 15 more days of cardio...

Tammy you will be my inspiration for the next few days. Anyone who has a free moment please feel free to post inspirational quotes or pics to help me through.

I will post pics later this week...

~gymdiva~
08-31-2009, 11:55 PM
:hmn:

sweetjane57
09-01-2009, 12:34 AM
ok...I hope you can get a CLOSE look at this:)
MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!

flexingtonsteele
09-01-2009, 01:04 AM

Well I made it through another day but Dave wasn't easy on me this week...my cardio has been increased to 2:30 and no more fat days PLUS he cut my protein to 4 oz per meal.

Normally I LOVE my fat ass but I am just about tired of it now. I can get through this, only 15 more days of cardio...

Tammy you will be my inspiration for the next few days. Anyone who has a free moment please feel free to post inspirational quotes or pics to help me through.

When u get that plane ticket to italy it'll all be worth it :)

keep on with the keepin on Jen!!

tammyp
09-01-2009, 06:00 AM
come on there jen..you can do anything for 19 days...trust me i was just there. but from where i am now IT WAS WAYYY WORTH IT! 5185240092 text me girl!

SallyAnne
09-01-2009, 12:40 PM

An inspirational photo for you. :D

http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/attachments/month_0808/fat_ass_qQMMqFKAULIH.jpg

The Beast
09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
OMG SallyAnne, I actually laughed out loud at that picture and that hasn't happened in a LONG time!

SallyAnne
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
OMG SallyAnne, I actually laughed out loud at that picture and that hasn't happened in a LONG time!

I think I'm going to print that one out and put it on my fridge. lol

The Beast
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
thanks Nat :) did you make that? that is soooo awesome!!!!
Its crazy when I think back to last year....with the relationship I was in I have no idea how I made it through the diet. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Really to all of you, thanks for keeping me going...weighed in at 124 this morning so I am no longer a heavyweight ;) ha

tammy I will definitely take you up on that, I know you were just at where I am now and it paid off. I am sooooo happy for you! I can't get over your legs, they were (are) unbelievable.

Well to keep me busy during cardio I have been reading a lot...any good suggestions? I read a bit of everything although nothing too serious when deiting...a few that I would recommend:
-Something Borrowed (funny. light-hearted)
-The Shack (semi religious but in credible and a book I want to reread because it is really a life-altering look at how to approach each day)
-The Russian Concumbine (decent fluff)
- angry housewives eating bonbons (funny, interesting and a very good read)
- twilight series (patheitc for a 28 year old but extremely entertaining)

I am in the middle of a few books right now, one by Huraki Murakami but it may be too strange while I am in this state...

tammyp
09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
jen please do. friends are the only thing that gets you through!

tammyp
09-01-2009, 06:02 PM
The ability to discipline yourself to delay gratification in the short term in order to enjoy greater rewards in the long term is the indispensable pre-requisite for success.

flexingtonsteele
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
do u watch true blood on hbo jen?

u can go and buy the series of books its based on.......some pretty good shit right there!

badgergrl
09-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey Jen!
Glad I stumbled upon your thread. I was just thinking about you today...wondering if you had killed anyone yet. :)
You are so close! Hang in there. I know making weight is a bitch, but have faith that you'll get there.

Oh...the Twilight series is SO not pathetic. I fell in love with those books last year.....although it was during contest prep, so maybe that says something. Have you read the Glass Castle? It's one of my all-time favorites.

To get through the hours of cardio last year, I downloaded a bunch of self meditations and motivational audios on my iPod. I did so much cardio that I was sick of music. You might want to check out Tich Nat Hanh or Deepak Chopra if it sounds like something you'd be into.

Rock it in these last couple weeks!

SallyAnne
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
thanks Nat :) did you make that? that is soooo awesome!!!!
Its crazy when I think back to last year....with the relationship I was in I have no idea how I made it through the diet. Can't wait to see you this weekend.

Really to all of you, thanks for keeping me going...weighed in at 124 this morning so I am no longer a heavyweight ;) ha

tammy I will definitely take you up on that, I know you were just at where I am now and it paid off. I am sooooo happy for you! I can't get over your legs, they were (are) unbelievable.

Well to keep me busy during cardio I have been reading a lot...any good suggestions? I read a bit of everything although nothing too serious when deiting...a few that I would recommend:
-Something Borrowed (funny. light-hearted)
-The Shack (semi religious but in credible and a book I want to reread because it is really a life-altering look at how to approach each day)
-The Russian Concumbine (decent fluff)
- angry housewives eating bonbons (funny, interesting and a very good read)
- twilight series (patheitc for a 28 year old but extremely entertaining)

I am in the middle of a few books right now, one by Huraki Murakami but it may be too strange while I am in this state...

My son is a huge reader (he's 10) and we've been reading the same books lately. lol I was pleasantly surprised by a series for teens called 'Tunnels'. The books are thick - thicker than Harry Potter books if that gives you any idea. They're really very good. I finished all 3 that are out and now my mom is reading them.

RealLilSwole
09-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I feel your pain Jen. Dave liked to of killed me those last few weeks of cardio. He had me at 2 hours and 20 minutes per day and I cussed him every step of the way. LOL! Just keep trudging along.....it will be over soon. Good luck girl! But you are looking Great!

The Beast
09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
do u watch true blood on hbo jen?

u can go and buy the series of books its based on.......some pretty good shit right there!

I have tried to watch it starting with this year and couldn't get into it but I bet I would love the books...definitely will check them out. Thanks flex ;)

The Beast
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
OMG badge The Glass Castle is one of my mom and my favorite books. You know I think it is time I finally do something for myself... ;P

SallyAnne I will also have to check out Tunnels, I love younger adult books-they are fun to read and entertaining...

The Beast
09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
I feel your pain Jen. Dave liked to of killed me those last few weeks of cardio. He had me at 2 hours and 20 minutes per day and I cussed him every step of the way. LOL! Just keep trudging along.....it will be over soon. Good luck girl! But you are looking Great!

Thanks, it is comforting to know that other people made it through without totally breaking! I hit 123 this morning on the scale and am taking pics in the morning so hopefully I will see some progress...

It will be worth it when I am onstage, this I know....

flexingtonsteele
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I have tried to watch it starting with this year and couldn't get into it but I bet I would love the books...definitely will check them out. Thanks flex ;)

U know what this season started off really slow, but the last few weeks have been great.

The entire first season was lights out! and got me hooked, but for some reason this season was a ton slower.

tammyp
09-03-2009, 06:46 AM
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.

LauraW
09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey girl :) thanks for checking in! I am still here just in the murk...kindof fell off the planet for awhile-got food poisoning last week which was horrible and have been super busy the past few weeks so I haven't been on the computer too much.

Training, other then when I was sick, has been good. I know I am preaching to the choir but I am just so hungry all the time. Less then 4 weeks left which is nothing, as Lori would tell me "you can do anything for 26 days..." not that I am counting!

Here are some pics from this morning...I am feeling ok about where I am at although my weight is still high, 126, lightweight seems a far way off!! I do think my scale may weigh a little heavy BUT I can't count on that so I am a bit nervous. Oh there is also a few pics from a wedding I was in last week showing what I am thinking I am going to attempt to do to my hair for the show. It is a bit hard to see but almost a nod to the 50's....

Let me know what you think!

Wow! You look great. I am going to Team U as well - the bikini division. maybe I'll see you back stage. We're almost there! I am so excited that I am already losing sleep. My first National Competition.

The Beast
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Laura definitely try and say hi ;) I may be slightly brain dead!! Good luck with the last few weeks, can't wait to be on stage...

Ok so I have legs today, I can get through this workout...only 2 more leg workouts and then it is just coasting in.

Took pics this morning, weighed in at 123 last night so I think lightweight is where I will end up, if I can strip 5-6 more I should be all good.

Thanks to everyone!

sweetjane57
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
yup, I notice some added leg size!;) Nate and I were just taliking about doing some PL in the offseason! I need some LEGS! Looking awesome Jen!!!!

musclemilf
09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Laura definitely try and say hi ;) I may be slightly brain dead!! Good luck with the last few weeks, can't wait to be on stage...

Ok so I have legs today, I can get through this workout...only 2 more leg workouts and then it is just coasting in.

Took pics this morning, weighed in at 123 last night so I think lightweight is where I will end up, if I can strip 5-6 more I should be all good.

Thanks to everyone!

WOW!!!! :yep:

The Beast
09-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks Girls...I am getting there!

Natalie you totally should, it is a lot of fun-Lance is great as you know- and it just shocks your body. Training, which I always find fun, had more purpose and it was so interesting to learn the lifts and protocols...that being said I swear it has helped me stay healthier because I focus more on proper form. I really hope you give it a go.

Um on a dieting note I went to the same gym I go to nearly every day for the past 2 years and parked in a handicapped space, totally oblivious until I leave the gym. Thank the good Lord I didn't get a ticket I would havev had a massive breakdown having to pay $250 because of a lack of calories....

The Beast
09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.

Great profile pic Tammy! There is some motivation!!!

flexingtonsteele
09-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Thanks to everyone!

very nice, quads are lookin good, those biceps are awesome, and ur glutes are starting to seperate from your hams.........

very nice Jen!

tammyp
09-04-2009, 05:45 AM
looking great jen...almost there!

IslandGirl
09-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Looking good Jen! You're almost there. Victory will be sweet!

little d
09-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Jen it Nilsa ! I saw you last night at the Continental bb show. Hey woman you look awesome!!! All that cardio and dieting has paid off!!!
You will be the winner! Ar you watching the food network channel like I did for the Masters? OMG I would cook without tasting and just watch my husband eat it and hang on him describing how it tasted! I bought so many cook books and magazines I don't know what to do with them!
That's what I should do Is power lift. I need to bring my legs up as they look like bird legs! LOL You can do this Jen only 2 more weeks right? you might as well say its over!!! Picture yourself receiving the trophy it will get you through the tough spots, also try just going to sleep!

Suzanne
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
It was great talking to you at the show you are looking awesome Not much longer now1

What counts in sports is not the victory, but the magnificence of the struggle.
- Joe Paterno

MsGuns
09-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Here's a motivional pic for ya...I know its one of mine!

The Beast
09-07-2009, 12:53 AM
It was sooooo great to see so many of you ladies at the Continental this weekend and it really helped me get through both yesterday and today. I had been dreading getting ready and leaving the comfort of my couch but you definitely made it a great experience...thank you all.

Nilsa, we HAVE to train together, we are so close. After the show we will need to get together and figrue out what day works best, I can always go up by you. Oh and I had to stop watching food network 2 weeks ago because I was breaking down too much. I would start crying during diners, drive-ins and dives and it just got worse and worse so I stopped my addiction. The one thing it really helps me with is figuring out new ways to prepare my diet food, just a little twist here and there and voila dieting/matrix food....

Suzanne, very excited to see your prep for Nationals...I give you so much credit for going for it and think you have a great shot!

Nat...you looked amazing (but you always do)! Can't wait to start going back to Lance's...

The Beast
09-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Here's a motivional pic for ya...I know its one of mine!

No joke!! That is packing a ton of muscle ;)

How are you doing, what is up for you next?

MsGuns
09-07-2009, 01:18 AM
No joke!! That is packing a ton of muscle ;)

How are you doing, what is up for you next?

You got that right...
Im hanging...just competed my 1st week of prep.
Getting ready for a UFE Show Nov 14th in Canada.

sweetjane57
09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
It was sooooo great to see so many of you ladies at the Continental this weekend and it really helped me get through both yesterday and today. I had been dreading getting ready and leaving the comfort of my couch but you definitely made it a great experience...thank you all.

Nat...you looked amazing (but you always do)! Can't wait to start going back to Lance's...

Jen, ya looked INCREDIBLE! You will do GREAT! Just keep pushin this last REAL week! LOL Keep that eye on ITALY, Baby!

It'll be SO fun to train together. Nate wanted to hang out with Matt more.lol

Suzanne
09-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Nilsa, we HAVE to train together, we are so close. After the show we will need to get together and figrue out what day works best, I can always go up by you. Oh and I had to stop watching food network 2 weeks ago because I was breaking down too much. I would start crying during diners, drive-ins and dives and it just got worse and worse so I stopped my addiction. The one thing it really helps me with is figuring out new ways to prepare my diet food, just a little twist here and there and voila dieting/matrix food....

Suzanne, very excited to see your prep for Nationals...I give you so much credit for going for it and think you have a great shot!

Thanks i am very excited!!

Diners, drive-ins and Dives is our fav show!! we pick where we are going to cheat based on places Guy has been too

Keep it up just a bit longer!

little d
09-07-2009, 09:35 PM
That is too funny that I am not the only one loving that show! My husband was so sick of it he doesn't want to watch it too much now. LOL's
Let me tell you my last 2 weeks I went on line and bought half of the stuff I saw on a show that showed specialty cookies and candies! I made it so they all got delivered to my house the week right after the show! Delivery after deliver, my hubby just laughed! I spent about $200 on cookies and candy!!! They didn't taste that all that special but they were ok. Gave most of them away!
Jen, I would love to get together and workout that would be a lot of fun! After your show, either St. Charles or Arlington (that's where you train right?).

Hang in there woman.. it almost over!

The Beast
09-08-2009, 12:18 AM
So another day down, just a bit closer and I am feeling ok tonight. Just got out of the shower and put on some vanilla scented lotion. Now normally I really don't like the scent of vanilla lotion BUT while dieting it is strangely comforting and nearly feels like I am cheating.

My weight this morning was 121 so I am getting there pound by pound...hopefully I will be down 2-3 by the end of the week and then I should be good to make lightweight.

This is really the first week that I have noticed a significant change in my strength...had the 60's up for incline db's today and struggled so stopped at 6 reps. This weight is normally pretty easy so that was frustrating but I suppose to be expected considering the drastic change in my diet/cardio last week. It was bound to catch up with me sooner or later.

Still on 2:30 for cardio and planning on taking pics in the morning. Wish I had a leg vein, ha, maybe by the end of the week one will join me but damn it is slightly annoying :) Never had the leg veins....

SallyAnne
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I was in the candle store a few days ago trying to find one that didn't make me hungry when I sniffed it. lol I had to stay away from vanilla, cinnamon, apple, etc. and go for the non-food ones.

PJ BRAUN
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM
BEAST!
Good luck with the rest of your prep. I know your gonna kick ass! I'll be there watching so let me know if you need anything!

BILLY GUNS
09-08-2009, 03:47 PM
BEAST!
Good luck with the rest of your prep. I know your gonna kick ass! I'll be there watching so let me know if you need anything!

schome alert:yep:

:p:hmn:

The Beast
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
schome alert:yep:

:p:hmn:

Hey you have never posted on my thread before (or really even talked to me at a show) so maybe you are the schmoe following PJ around???

The Beast
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
thanks PJ, will be great to see you. Its exciting that there will be a big group of people I know at the show-it makes it so much more meaningful and special (atleast for me!)

Took some pics today, not looking my prettiest I am still having problems sleeping. Dave said that he thinks from here on out I will be SUFFERING and STARVING there is a chance that after pics on Friday he will give me a few carbs but these next days are going to be pretty rough on me.

Here are a few of the pics...feel free to critique me or my posing just lay off the hair and makeup!

Suzanne
09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
So another day down, just a bit closer and I am feeling ok tonight. Just got out of the shower and put on some vanilla scented lotion. Now normally I really don't like the scent of vanilla lotion BUT while dieting it is strangely comforting and nearly feels like I am cheating.

My weight this morning was 121 so I am getting there pound by pound...hopefully I will be down 2-3 by the end of the week and then I should be good to make lightweight.

This is really the first week that I have noticed a significant change in my strength...had the 60's up for incline db's today and struggled so stopped at 6 reps. This weight is normally pretty easy so that was frustrating but I suppose to be expected considering the drastic change in my diet/cardio last week. It was bound to catch up with me sooner or later.

Still on 2:30 for cardio and planning on taking pics in the morning. Wish I had a leg vein, ha, maybe by the end of the week one will join me but damn it is slightly annoying :) Never had the leg veins....

Leg veins are so cool I got so excited when i first saw one during jr nats prep i took a phone pic and sent it to Jeremy lmfao

It was great to see you at xsport. We are gonna try to hit WOs there more often I love going to different gyms plus there is equipment there that we don't have at Buffalo grove Fitness or Golds Gurnee (our two regular gys)

flexingtonsteele
09-08-2009, 07:27 PM
lookin better and better everytime u post pics, the backside is def tightening up. ! good luck and the suffering will be well worth it, usually the ones who suffer the most are the last ones standing on saturday nite!

BILLY GUNS
09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey you have never posted on my thread before (or really even talked to me at a show) so maybe you are the schmoe following PJ around???

Sorry Jenny....I only have Eyes for Rip...she has my:love::yep:

I'll have to ask Lori if I can visit your thread more often:p:hmn:

The Beast
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
One more "normal" workout!!!!! Had shoulders today and got through it, my strength is still ok but the strange thing is once the limit is met I can't push through it...its like hitting the wall. In any case I have my last workout, legs, tomorrow and although I am happy to be nearly done I am anxious about the workout ;)

Pics will be taken in the am and hopefully Dave will give me just a touch of carbs on Saturday night before the starvation to the show.

One more day down!

SallyAnne
09-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Woo hoo!

btw - I have the same color suit. It's pertty. :)

Suzanne
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
So close now! just push hard!

tammyp
09-11-2009, 06:13 AM
1 week baby cakes!

The Beast
09-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Done with legs, done with normal workouts and down to the wire. I am feeling up and down just depending on the time of day but in general I am in a good place...it seems like I have done everything I could up to this point.

I am nervous about the show and excited to be on stage again...it is starting to sink in that I will actually be competing next weekend but until I am actually at the show I don't think it will seem real.

Tonight Dave is giving me 30 grams of carbs which I am super excited about and then it is lean and trim until I start to load on Friday. At the moment I am still not positive I will be making the lightweights...I take pics again on Monday and will see what my weight is...it may be a bit of a stretch.

Thank you to everyone for your support you really have no idea how much it has helped the past few weeks when I was in the thick of it.

~gymdiva~
09-13-2009, 12:00 AM
woohoo! so close! don't forget, LeighAnn is looking for you so she can hug you on my behalf :hmn:

Suzanne
09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
This it is just a few more days!

I was at your gym yesterday Chase and I came to hit back with Gail

andreag
09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
looking awesome girl.
cant wait to see you on stage. i will be there cheering you on wahooooo!!!!
one more week....1 more week!

2hot4u
09-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Good luck jen!!!

sweetjane57
09-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Jen.....we will be thinking bout ya and following the boards......BRING IT HOME WOMAN!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: You don't need any luck...

"FINISH IT!"

flexingtonsteele
09-15-2009, 04:36 PM
good luck jen!!!!! ill be rooting for u!

The Beast
09-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone, I am going to try and bring another win home to rx :) Got through my morning cardio and now just have a quick workout and another 65 minutes of cardio and I am finished!!! It is hard to imagine to be honest.

My weight is being stubborn but I have been hitting the sodium and water and hoping that today cutting the sodium will start to flush me out. Pushing hard to make that lightweight class.

Tomorrow will be a bit brutal, traveling...eating just a few egg whites to get my through and then weigh-ins. Please pray that my scale at home is heavy, that would make this soooo much better if I wasn't really sitting at 121 but really at like 117. It is possible, my bf always thinks it is a few pounds heavy. Actually to that point I am going to be the crazy lady at the gym today and bring my scale in with me to compare it to the oldschool one they have there. haha, at this point I couls not care less how crazy I look.

I was fantisizing about a juicy cheeseburger and sweet potato fries. Oh and for anyone going to the show come find me afterwards I have baked some goodies to share!

STACEYK
09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Good Luck Jen, you'll do great whatever number it ends up!

The Beast
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
My reflection...

bascially I feel like I have already won. I have never worked so hard for something in my life, not in sports or school or life(kind of sad, maybe I should think about work more!)...and with all this sacrifice I still have my family supporting me, a loving boyfriend and truly great relationship (we have made it through his and my dieting and have yet to be a "normal" couple together so there is MUCH to look forward to), my friends at home and on the boards who have given me encouragement, hugged me, listened to me whine and complain...picked me up when I needed it and stood by me.

Dave and Colette have been invaluable to me this season. There is no way to thank them but hopefully when they see me on stage and what they helped accomplish they will know what a huge part they played.

Also I know that I talk about being natural and encourage other competitors and cross-overs to follow suit. I have no problem with enhanced competitors I just think it is individual choice and many competitors are pushed or pressured into it thinking that everyone does it...that being said I feel like I have won because I did this show and stayed true to myself. It was tempting to think that I could take something to help me but that is not what Team Universe is about or what I am about.

It boggles my mind why a competitor would want to do Team Universe if they weren't natural...this is the only national level NPC show that is tested...there are so many other options. So through my hours of despair, cardio and workouts, the tears I cried and emotions I ran through I can say that I did this as a Natural athlete. I'm proud of my accomplishements and wherever the chips may fall on Saturday I know that I laid it all out on the table and there are no regrets.

NOW ITS TIME TO SHINE!!!!

The Beast
09-16-2009, 12:53 PM
woohoo! so close! don't forget, LeighAnn is looking for you so she can hug you on my behalf :hmn:

she better find me, I will have a cookie for her! wish you were going though, still remembering our strbucks date after the show...

Suzanne
09-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Good luck Jen!! and i agree you are already a winner!

The Beast
09-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Ok I MADE it...ugh how many times have I said that tonight? Too many to remember because when I weighed in at 3 today I didn't think it was a possibility. (this is slightly graphic...)

Recap: wake up and 119 on my scale. Thinking there is a chance because I had taken my scale to the gym the day before and calibrated it against one of those doctors scale and was 2 lbs heavy. Always thought my scale was a bit heavy so I thought this was a good sign.

Because things were so close I had started my herbal dieurtics the night before and cut water. That morning traveling I had 2-3 egg whites 3 times just to get a little something into my system. We get to NYC, cab it over to the host and step on the scale.

3:30 weigh in 119.7 SHIT the scale is actully heavier then my own which had me at 119 still.

call Dave who after talking to my boyfriend says we are going to try to make it. Be tough you have come this far. Have breakdown. Then start the sauna. Realize I have one of those cheap rain jackets packed that goes over all your clothes, like a poncho...put it on and cover my body then 2 layers of sweats. In and out of the sauna, 20 on 5-7 off for 4 sets. Take a suppository which was a first time experience and oh so pleasant (albeit productive). Sauna it again once and then head up to see where I am at

6:30 weigh in 116.3 grrrr still a long way off. Go back to sauna and meet another lightweight who agrees with me on the scale issue. We sulk and she offers me gum to start spitting...bless her heart! Do another 3-4 sessions in the sauna, some laying and some pacing....some flexing and going through my routine to try to sweat more. Getting pretty exhausted at this point but on my scale (which I have with me) I am still a little over a pound over so I hit another suppository which worked but left me a bit in pain). Head to weigh ins again with fingers crossed.

8:45 weigh in 115.3, Bev asks if I can produce anything, leaves the bathroom and comes back now I am at 114.7 but she won't budge and says she will give me a few more minutes before she calls it a night. She sees in my eyes that I am to that point and I am eternally grateful she let me come back.

go back to sauna do jumping jacks, fast feet, move around, eat gum and try to spit as much as possible...quickly head back up

slightly after 9 step on scale 114.6...again asks if I can pee and I say maybe, close to a mental breakdown in the bathroom....pull it together and push out as much as I can. She comes back after a minute and presto 114.3. Started nearly crying from joy at this point.

My boyfriend was, I think, more nervous then me about me making weight as he told Dave he thought it was possible. I spared no second in these last hours and I squeezed in, no shortcuts just my every effort and ounce of sanity. Had I missed the cutoff by .2 I would have been DEVASTATED.

Then I got to start eating...4 ounces of orange roughy and 2 WHOLE eggs....my first taste of fat in over 3 weeks. Plus Dave wanted me to get in 4 meals so I got to eat ever 1.5 hours, with fats and drink as much as I wanted. Basically ecstasy at this point.

Its my legs, they hold so much water and it is hard to know how to combat this but none of that matters now. I MADE it and am filling back out so I can step on stage full and hard and be the best I ever was...

So finally head to bed and wake up 4 hours later ravenous...eat some egg whites and oils and give you all the update!

It is a big show and I will probably get more nervous tomorrow as the day goes on, right now I am basking in this small victory as the hardest part, that last .2 of the marathon, was today....finish line just yards away

tammyp
09-18-2009, 05:39 AM
its 114.5? shit all others are 115. glad you made it jen..i know how frustrating it can be, tough i never had your kinda stress! keep me posted girl!

2hot4u
09-18-2009, 06:08 AM
also sounds like maybe you should start thinking about competing as a mw next time. You have more muscle from the powerlifting!!! Good luck and i have had to do the sauna thing but not what you went through!!! Now, you can load up and shine!!!

MsGuns
09-18-2009, 06:49 AM
WoW Jen. Always celebrate the small victories they usually turn into big victories!
ROCK the STAGE!

Suzanne
09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
wow you made it!

I feel your pain! i have been 5-7 over the day of weigh in for making LW at both shows in 2007 and did the sauna for what seemed like hours at one point i was laying on the floor in Dallas by the scale and told chase to call Jeremy and tell and cna't go back in there again i am done! lol course i got back in SAUNA SUCKS!!!

Erin
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Oh my goodness you had me on the edge of my chair reading about you trying to make weight!!! Go get 'em girl! You are right by saying you have "already won" by the effort you put forth. You make all your Chicago peeps very proud! :hmn:

andreag
09-18-2009, 12:32 PM
im with erin...as i read i was gettin anxious & nervous for ya lol.
what a story. thank you for sharing. i enjoy reading about journeys like this. all the hard work, sweat & tears that go into it. such a victory at the end. im so glad you made it. look forward to seeing ya onstage saturday morning!

SallyAnne
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
im with erin...as i read i was gettin anxious & nervous for ya lol.
what a story. thank you for sharing. i enjoy reading about journeys like this. all the hard work, sweat & tears that go into it. such a victory at the end. im so glad you made it. look forward to seeing ya onstage saturday morning!

That was quite and ordeal and shows how much heart you have, Jen. Kick ass this weekend!

sweetjane57
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!
Yea, I say YOU WIN already too...After that story I am no longer alowwed to even THINK about a complaint for the next 5 weeks!

Time to glam it up and show 'em what you're made of JEN :)

badgergrl
09-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Great story! LOL Talk about going the extra mile.
I had a very similar experience making weight last year at the NA. It's torture!
What a warrior you are! You deserve this win. Go kick some ass.

bndniron4evrgal
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
BRAVO!! the sauna is one thang, but the suppositories is another.............

i'm cheering for ya!! BEST OF LUCK :flowers:

Tre
09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Good luck, Jen.

IanC
09-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Hey Jennifer,

On the off chance you check this thread before the show today -- Good Luck! You've outworked everyone, now blow them off the stage!

andreag
09-19-2009, 11:46 PM
just wanted to congratulate you jen. we saw you both this morning at prejudge & tonight for the finals. your routine rocked! i loved it. im sure you heard timothy's big mouth yelling your name too lol.
you are so stunning on stage....BEAUTIFUL!!!

Suzanne
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Congrats jen!

sweetjane57
09-19-2009, 11:57 PM
just wanted to congratulate you jen. we saw you both this morning at prejudge & tonight for the finals. your routine rocked! i loved it. im sure you heard timothy's big mouth yelling your name too lol.
you are so stunning on stage....BEAUTIFUL!!!

this girl's got moves, doesn't she......wish I coulda been there!
CONGRATS JEN! :beerbang:Give me a hoot when you get settled back into the swing of things so we can meet up.......

SallyAnne
09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Congratulations, Jen!

little d
09-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Congratulations Jen!!! Wow it was a tough road but you did it! This an accomplishment! You have been to hell and back! Its over... time to rest, recover and be proud of yourself!

Making weight was tough!! I dont know that I could have done all that, cause that was hard!! But you did what you had to do, that is a true athlete!
I will possibly never know the sauna experience as I weighed in at 104lbs B4 water depletion, I envy you.

Now that you have eaten and feel better have you thought of what you are doing next? You know Jen you did look incredible! You rocked the stage!!! Again Congratulations!!!

figurebre
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Congrats! What a stressful day that must have been!!!!

MsGuns
09-20-2009, 12:13 PM
You LOOKED great Jen! CONGRATS on a great showing after all you went thru!!!

2hot4u
09-21-2009, 07:56 AM
congrats Jen!! I bet you couldn't wait to have some yummy food!!! Please tell us about your weekend after the weigh in's!!!!! Do you have any pics from backstage?

tammyp
09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
i know she was headed to atlantic city yesterday, and i think home today. she rocked it out, though i thought she shoulda taken 1st.

little d
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with you about placing 1st. But you never know what the judges are looking for.... Right now she's in food heaven! Good for her! LOL's

The Beast
09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
well THANKS everyone! I have been enjoying the last week and trying to straighten out everything I had let go a little bit in those last weeks of dieting.

The show was a lot of fun and I love the comraderie of competing...it just felt backstage like we had all gone through these similar experiences and understood each other. It was really a great feeling...plus over the last 6 years I have met so many great people and this was really my only chance to see many of them.

Looking at the pics I must say that I am disappointed with my physique, what is more unfortunate it I am nearly positive it was a slight rebound effect after what I put my body through on Thursday. More then anything I can see it is my legs, they just aren't as cut as they were a few days back. Granted the stage lighting at Team Universe isn't the best but, hindsight being 20/20 I really think I should have told Dave no when he wanted me to cut the 5 pounds and gone into the show as a middle. I think my physique would have been quite a bit better on stage as opposed to a little worse. Obviously nothing I can do about it now but I will know for next year.

The trip was a lot of fun, Mike Eckstut pucked my boyfriend and me up on Sunday morning and brought us to Atlantic City. Did a few hour shoot with Mike and that evening he took us out to Bobby Flays restuarant. Umm it was unbelievable...Matt got a ribeye which honest to god melted in your mouth. I ordered a lot! For an appetizer I had the tuna tartare, then shared a cold lobster, for dinner I had a Veal Chop (something I would never order but I wanted to try something new) and sweet potatoes au gratin...this wa all very good BUT then came dessert...if any of you watch throwdown with Bobby Flay on Food Network you will appericate this. He had a German Chocolate Throwdown in which he beat the contestant...he added the cake to his menu and words cannot do this cake justice. If any of you have the opportunity to go to his steakhouse PLEASE order this cake, it is heavenly.

After Atlantic City we went back to New York and got to train at Bev's gym. This was really one of the highlights of the trips...to be in a gym with so much history was really cool plus they have fantastic equipment. Really the rest of the trip focused on food, we went to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn for pizza and had a wonderful lunch with stewed prunes and marscapone cheese for dessert...

I am getting annoyed that I still am obssessed with food, I know it will take a few weeks to break the cycle but I have been baking a lot and just trying to enjoy my freedom. I am back in the gym and will probably continue to take it easy for another week or so.

Thanks again to all of you! This was the most rewarding show prep I have ever completed...now on to Team Universe 2010 :)

sweetjane57
09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
well THANKS everyone! I have been enjoying the last week and trying to straighten out everything I had let go a little bit in those last weeks of dieting.

The show was a lot of fun and I love the comraderie of competing...it just felt backstage like we had all gone through these similar experiences and understood each other. It was really a great feeling...plus over the last 6 years I have met so many great people and this was really my only chance to see many of them.

Looking at the pics I must say that I am disappointed with my physique, what is more unfortunate it I am nearly positive it was a slight rebound effect after what I put my body through on Thursday. More then anything I can see it is my legs, they just aren't as cut as they were a few days back. Granted the stage lighting at Team Universe isn't the best but, hindsight being 20/20 I really think I should have told Dave no when he wanted me to cut the 5 pounds and gone into the show as a middle. I think my physique would have been quite a bit better on stage as opposed to a little worse. Obviously nothing I can do about it now but I will know for next year.

The trip was a lot of fun, Mike Eckstut pucked my boyfriend and me up on Sunday morning and brought us to Atlantic City. Did a few hour shoot with Mike and that evening he took us out to Bobby Flays restuarant. Umm it was unbelievable...Matt got a ribeye which honest to god melted in your mouth. I ordered a lot! For an appetizer I had the tuna tartare, then shared a cold lobster, for dinner I had a Veal Chop (something I would never order but I wanted to try something new) and sweet potatoes au gratin...this wa all very good BUT then came dessert...if any of you watch throwdown with Bobby Flay on Food Network you will appericate this. He had a German Chocolate Throwdown in which he beat the contestant...he added the cake to his menu and words cannot do this cake justice. If any of you have the opportunity to go to his steakhouse PLEASE order this cake, it is heavenly.

After Atlantic City we went back to New York and got to train at Bev's gym. This was really one of the highlights of the trips...to be in a gym with so much history was really cool plus they have fantastic equipment. Really the rest of the trip focused on food, we went to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn for pizza and had a wonderful lunch with stewed prunes and marscapone cheese for dessert...

I am getting annoyed that I still am obssessed with food, I know it will take a few weeks to break the cycle but I have been baking a lot and just trying to enjoy my freedom. I am back in the gym and will probably continue to take it easy for another week or so.

Thanks again to all of you! This was the most rewarding show prep I have ever completed...now on to Team Universe 2010 :)

:hugme:
I enjoyed the read...

2hot4u
09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Jen, congrats on your placing!!! Will you go back to your powerlifting training til next year? Have you considering doing a different show other than team u? you won the jr usa's so why not maybe do na's or nationals

Suzanne
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
We are joining xsport. Will be training there on weekends alternating dundee and golf depending on which equipment i wanna hit. Gail did legs with us there on Sunday if was painfully fun!

~gymdiva~
09-29-2009, 02:25 PM
hey Jen, have any pics from the trip to share? :)

RealLilSwole
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
You looked great at TU!

The Beast
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Jen, congrats on your placing!!! Will you go back to your powerlifting training til next year? Have you considering doing a different show other than team u? you won the jr usa's so why not maybe do na's or nationals

Definitely going back to powerlifting in my off-season...I had such a good time with it last year and think it was good for my physique.

At this point I think Team Universe is my best option...the girls there tend to be a bit smaller. I can't imagine being able to compete against the lightweights at Nationals or NA's much less the middles! Ha! Doing the combo of NA's and Team Universe could be an option just because I think you tend to come in a bit harder to a second show...

What about you Lisa? Master's Nationals again? Will you be going to the Nationals? I can't wait to go and watch the show.

The Beast
09-30-2009, 04:07 PM
We are joining xsport. Will be training there on weekends alternating dundee and golf depending on which equipment i wanna hit. Gail did legs with us there on Sunday if was painfully fun!

Yea!! We should definitely all train together, I have found that the one on Golf really feels welcoming to bodybuilders and is such a great atmosphere...Dundee is ok but Golf is where its at!

Suzanne
10-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Yea!! We should definitely all train together, I have found that the one on Golf really feels welcoming to bodybuilders and is such a great atmosphere...Dundee is ok but Golf is where its at!

that would be cool! We love to vary our WOs so having multiple gyms is perfect! i love the hammer strength seated ham curl and they have that at dundee. I like doing some torture on the freemotion (like heavy db walking lunges superset with freemotion squat ouch!) which they have at golf it's perfect! Tomorrow we are hitting back with Gail at golf

tammyp
10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
hey lady! great chatting with you yesterday....

2hot4u
10-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Jen, I will be at the nationals this year to help a friend but the plan is for 2010 to compete at the nationals in Atlanta October 15-16th. I just had hernia surgery this past week and need the extra time to recover to get back in the gym to make the improvements i want to show the judges for next year!!! Bigger everything lol and of course shredded to the bone. I am very excited and can't wait so maybe i will see you in florida as we cheer on our friends onstage!!!
Definitely going back to powerlifting in my off-season...I had such a good time with it last year and think it was good for my physique.

At this point I think Team Universe is my best option...the girls there tend to be a bit smaller. I can't imagine being able to compete against the lightweights at Nationals or NA's much less the middles! Ha! Doing the combo of NA's and Team Universe could be an option just because I think you tend to come in a bit harder to a second show...

What about you Lisa? Master's Nationals again? Will you be going to the Nationals? I can't wait to go and watch the show.

The Beast
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Yea! It will be so great to see you. Hopefully you recover quickly from your surgery and are hitting it hard again before too long.

I am so excited to go to Nationals :) Oh and we will both be off-season so we can relax and enjoy ourselves down there!!

The Beast
10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
I started my Powerlifting training...slowly but surely...this past week!! After my first squat workout I was in PAIN, serious pain, for about 4 days and I only went up to 205. I am really going to try to keep a log of my training here.

My split is:
Monday Shoulders and Calves
Tuesday Arms
Wednesday Legs
Thursday Off
Friday Chest and Abs
Saturday Back
Sunday Off

The Beast
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Back/Deadlifts

This was my first deadlift workout and I was physched. I haven't lifted sumo style since last May during my meet and really I only lifted sumo for a few weeks leading up to my meet last year. I think I will have some major progress with this lift, last year I pulled 402 at my meet and my goal for this year is 450. It is lofty but I think attainable. This workout went really well, we didn't have chalk because we weren't at my powerlifting gym but my grip felt pretty good and all the lifts went up easy.

95 x 12
135 2 x 12
175 x 10
225 x 6
250 x 3
275 x 3
295 x 3

Wide grip pull-down
100 x 12 120 x 10 130 x 10

Low Rows
100 x 8 120 x 8 130 x 8

V-Bar pull-down
120 x 8 130 x 8 140 x 8

Wide Grip rows
45 x 12 75 x 12

The Beast
10-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Wednesday: Legs
My leg workout went well...this is my second workout back and I am still working back up in the weight I am pushing.

Squats
45 x 12
95 x 12
135 x 10
175 x 8
195 x 3
then I added my belt
225 x 3
245 x 3
260 x 3

Lunges
135 3 x 8

Leg Press
490 2 x 12

Dumbbell Leg Curls
50 x 12
60 x 12
70 x 10

Single Leg Curls
40 2 x 12

Suzanne
10-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Chase and I are hitting back with Gail at Golf on saturday around 11:30

sunday we are going to libertyville for legs

IslandGirl
10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Jen!

On your db leg curl. Is this where you are on a bench and you curl the db? Are you holding the db with your feet? How do you hold a 70 db? That is heavy. I tried this with a lighter db and my feet can't hold it for long. lol Is there a trick to this?

Hope all is well on your end!

The Beast
10-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey Jen!

On your db leg curl. Is this where you are on a bench and you curl the db? Are you holding the db with your feet? How do you hold a 70 db? That is heavy. I tried this with a lighter db and my feet can't hold it for long. lol Is there a trick to this?

Hope all is well on your end!

It took me quite awhile to be able to keep my form with heavier weights on these. I have found I just have to go very slow and really focus during the entire lift or I lose the weight...no trick I am sorry to say!

The Beast
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Last week I had a GREAT week with my lifts and went heavy...I deadlifted 350 twice but just for singles. Going into it I didn't want to go fro singles and my previous set 335 went up easy but I felt a little unstable and didn't push it.

Squats also went really well last week:
95 x 12
135 x 12
185 x 10
225 x 8
added belt
255 x 4
275 x 3
295 x 3
added knee wraps
315 x 3

I felt great...my last heavy sets were right to parrelel so I need to dig for that extra inch. I was just excited to get a successful lift with wraps on.

My meet is January 30th so my plan is to have fun the next few weeks just working back into getting under heavy weights. Take a week off over Nationals as I still have a few nagging issues, my elbows are bothering me...then get back into a regiment and get into the powerlifting gear for the next 6-8 weeks for the meet.

Wolfpack
10-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Last week I had a GREAT week with my lifts and went heavy...I deadlifted 350 twice but just for singles. Going into it I didn't want to go fro singles and my previous set 335 went up easy but I felt a little unstable and didn't push it.

Squats also went really well last week:
95 x 12
135 x 12
185 x 10
225 x 8
added belt
255 x 4
275 x 3
295 x 3
added knee wraps
315 x 3

I felt great...my last heavy sets were right to parrelel so I need to dig for that extra inch. I was just excited to get a successful lift with wraps on.

My meet is January 30th so my plan is to have fun the next few weeks just working back into getting under heavy weights. Take a week off over Nationals as I still have a few nagging issues, my elbows are bothering me...then get back into a regiment and get into the powerlifting gear for the next 6-8 weeks for the meet.

If YOU do that much, I can imagine what Matt does...If Nat and I get to train with you guys, I think it'd be best (for my ego) if we just train arms instead. :p

sweetjane57
10-27-2009, 06:34 PM
If YOU do that much, I can imagine what Matt does...If Nat and I get to train with you guys, I think it'd be best (for my ego) if we just train arms instead. :p

seriously! lol we can do calves too!

IslandGirl
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
It took me quite awhile to be able to keep my form with heavier weights on these. I have found I just have to go very slow and really focus during the entire lift or I lose the weight...no trick I am sorry to say!

Ok thanks. I'll need to try this again then. Do you do them on a decline bench or a flat bench?