PDA

View Full Version : Question about doing a show in Illinois

sam
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
hi everyone, first off, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my question and thank you to all the great people who contribute to the contest prep forum. i am learning a lot from you.

i live in michigan and am preparing to do my first novice show. because of the time frame that i wanted to prep, i decided that a contest in neighboring Illinois would work out well. i've been working hard, learning to become smooth in my posing. of course, i get a lot of posing research done watching youtube. heres the thing. i've watched several videos of various contest prejudgings for Illinois contests. they seem to call poses differently than here in MI. for instance, for side chest, here in MI, they usually say "side chest, best side", but on the vids i've seen, they actually call the side, saying "quarter turn to the right, side chest". other examples of differences i've noticed would be that they ask you to spike a specific calf or specific most muscular poses. in MI, for most muscular, they usually say something like "your favorite most muscular".

so my question is, should i expect that these specific things will be called for in any NPC contest in IL?

thanks for your input.

sam:)

Dr.Natural1988
06-04-2009, 12:10 AM
out of all the NPC shows i've viewed in Illinois which is about 5 or 6 now, what you said should be expected. the calf is specific and side chest goes along with the quarter turns. what show are you doing in IL just out of curiosity?

sweetjane57
06-04-2009, 01:04 AM
depends on who's the head judge callin out poses. There was even a "double calf raise" called out at the IL State this year.

ricker35910
06-04-2009, 08:54 AM
i'm from michigan also, what city are you from? i also competed in illinois took 1st out of 16 as a middle weight in 2007 so if you need some help send me a pm and we'll go from there.

The Big Sexy
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
No idea about Illinois... Usually it's your choice for any pose unless the judge makes a stipulation on it. Like, spiking the left or right calf on a rear double bi/rear lat spread.

If they do call a specific side chest out - I would think they'd call the other side too... the only reason I can see for this is to see if one bodybuilder is lagging or lacks the symmatry of the others.

sam
06-04-2009, 09:11 AM
out of all the NPC shows i've viewed in Illinois which is about 5 or 6 now, what you said should be expected. the calf is specific and side chest goes along with the quarter turns. what show are you doing in IL just out of curiosity?

by looking at all the IL based prejudging videos, this is what i had a feeling of. wow, i'm really glad to know now verses find out when i get there, right!

btw, i'm planning to do the novice portion of the continental usa in september.

thanks for your input

sam
06-04-2009, 09:13 AM
i'm from michigan also, what city are you from? i also competed in illinois took 1st out of 16 as a middle weight in 2007 so if you need some help send me a pm and we'll go from there.

hey rick. i'm in plymouth. good job on the 1st place. thanks for offering to help. if i have anything that i think you might be able to answer for me, i'll certainly drop you a PM.

sam

sam
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
No idea about Illinois... Usually it's your choice for any pose unless the judge makes a stipulation on it. Like, spiking the left or right calf on a rear double bi/rear lat spread.

If they do call a specific side chest out - I would think they'd call the other side too... the only reason I can see for this is to see if one bodybuilder is lagging or lacks the symmatry of the others.

thats what i would have assumed, but check out how they do it here. this is the same format i'm seeing over and over for IL shows.

Dailymotion - 2007 Illinois State Super Heavy weight class - a Sports & Extreme video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x22dpm@@AMEPARAM@@x22dpm

ricker35910
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
thats what i would have assumed, but check out how they do it here. this is the same format i'm seeing over and over for IL shows.

Dailymotion - 2007 Illinois State Super Heavy weight class - a Sports & Extreme video (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22dpm_2007-illinois-state-super-heavy-wei_sport)

that's how they did it 2yrs ago when i competed over there, i'm from westland by the way so we're pretty close. if you want to come train at pwrhouse in farmngtn hlls and have me take a look at you just let me know.

Dr.Natural1988
06-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Cool man...that's a really good show in this area. My friend is doing novice heavyweight and open heavyweight also, and trying to get me to do it as well. It will be difficult for me though since I'll be in St. Louis for school and have to come back. But best of luck to you man!

by looking at all the IL based prejudging videos, this is what i had a feeling of. wow, i'm really glad to know now verses find out when i get there, right!

btw, i'm planning to do the novice portion of the continental usa in september.

thanks for your input

sam
06-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Cool man...that's a really good show in this area. My friend is doing novice heavyweight and open heavyweight also, and trying to get me to do it as well. It will be difficult for me though since I'll be in St. Louis for school and have to come back. But best of luck to you man!

thanks. just to give you the heads up, they aren't allowing cross overs at the continental usa. it's either novice or open.

sam
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
that's how they did it 2yrs ago when i competed over there, i'm from westland by the way so we're pretty close. if you want to come train at pwrhouse in farmngtn hlls and have me take a look at you just let me know.

man its a small world. you have PM

Dr.Natural1988
06-04-2009, 06:03 PM
They say that for nearly every show, but usually if you talk to the show promoter they can work something out for ya...the promoter's for the continental are pretty nice people so if you are thinking about corssing over you'll probably have goodluck

thanks. just to give you the heads up, they aren't allowing cross overs at the continental usa. it's either novice or open.

indianamonster1986
06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Just be ready for anything. Practice your poses from every side. You never know what a judge might have you do. I know for the Mid-Illinois the head judge only asked for hands on hip MM which I hated because I think a person should be able to hit their favorite MM.

sam
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
They say that for nearly every show, but usually if you talk to the show promoter they can work something out for ya...the promoter's for the continental are pretty nice people so if you are thinking about corssing over you'll probably have goodluck

hmmmm, interesting. i did not know that. thanks for the heads up

sam
06-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Just be ready for anything. Practice your poses from every side. You never know what a judge might have you do. I know for the Mid-Illinois the head judge only asked for hands on hip MM which I hated because I think a person should be able to hit their favorite MM.

thanks indiana. i'm quickly seeing how important being ready for anything is!