PDA

View Full Version : Morning cardio

Sephirothsnake
06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Is it better to drink a whey shake before you do your morning cardio to preserve muscle or should you really do it on a empty stomach?

tight booty
06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Only if the protein shake is nil in carbs or very close to nil. And only mix the protein shake with water.

fitmomma3
06-04-2009, 07:47 AM
I do it on a empty stomach in the beginning (first 1-6 weeks) when I have a higher BF%... as I get closer to competition, have lower BF, and less to lose I start having protein before cardio to ensure I'm not burning muscle and I also incorporate HIIT so that makes a difference too. So I chose OTHER.

BigJD69
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Empty Stomach!

Sephirothsnake
06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
thnx for the votes and reply's

"Rodz"
06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
For me just a big glass of water, then i hit it.

G-Roy
06-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Some EAA's in water I start sipping before and drink throughout. There are conflicting studies on if you need them or not, but I dont think they can hurt, only insure.

Frosty
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Only if the protein shake is nil in carbs or very close to nil. And only mix the protein shake with water.

Not sure why making sure it's really low in carbs is important since your body is likely just going to turn a ton of the amino acids into glucose anyway.

Mudpro69
06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Not sure why making sure it's really low in carbs is important since your body is likely just going to turn a ton of the amino acids into glucose anyway.

Frosty,
Is this also true if you were to keep it low intensity? That is one reason why most guys concearned about muscle loss go low intensity (to not fuel workout with amino acids)

Frosty
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Frosty,
Is this also true if you were to keep it low intensity? That is one reason why most guys concearned about muscle loss go low intensity (to not fuel workout with amino acids)

It would be true if you just sat on the sofa!!!

Mudpro69
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
It would be true if you just sat on the sofa!!!

But on a serious note. Many people, including big Dave, recommend keeping it below 120bpm on a flat treadmill. He has also said that if we increase our intensity above 120bpm than we convert from fat fuel into amino fuel. I'm just trying to understand this better....

The Thinker
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

I've always done some amino thinking I would conserve muscle. Based on your comment that theory is flawed since they convert to glucose, correct? If so, I should be doing my morning cardio on an empty stomach.

Frosty
06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
But on a serious note. Many people, including big Dave, recommend keeping it below 120bpm on a flat treadmill. He has also said that if we increase our intensity above 120bpm than we convert from fat fuel into amino fuel. I'm just trying to understand this better....

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you meant does intensity of the cardio affect gluconeogenesis.

You can think of cardio as a sliding scale of where the fuel comes from based on intensity.

Low intensity = mostly subcutaneous fat supplies the energy, with some small amounts of energy coming from serum blood glucose.

Moderate intensity, aka traditional cardio = we've slid to using a lot of glucose as fuel, moving more towards glycogen use. Also the source of fat now is starting to shift and you're getting intramuscular fat to supply energy instead of subcutaneous as much.

High intensity = Fat use is very low and you rely almost entirely on glucose for fuel in the form of glycogen mostly. However the metabolic effect after high intensity is a tendency to burn fat for energy (lots of subcutaneous) by increasing RMR.

Frosty
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I've always done some amino thinking I would conserve muscle. Based on your comment that theory is flawed since they convert to glucose, correct? If so, I should be doing my morning cardio on an empty stomach.

Sure it'll help preserve muscle. Just taking in 3g of leucine would also be anti-catabolic without having, oh, 150 more calories or so......

Go empty stomach....if you're paranoid 3g of leucine will do the trick and be hardly any extra calories.

MichaelWayne
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Can't do morning cardio...I would die. But the few times I have, I've always consumed a shake then hit it, but that isn't high intensity, far from it.

Myth
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Is it better to drink a whey shake before you do your morning cardio to preserve muscle or should you really do it on a empty stomach?

cardio performed at what intensity? walking 2mph on the treadmill or sprinting 15-18mph on the track?

Frosty
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
cardio performed at what intensity? walking 2mph on the treadmill or sprinting 15-18mph on the track?

Yeah, two totally different things. Walking isn't exactly very taxing on the body or its energy systems :) In fact, walking generally reduces cortisol somewhat instead of increasing it like traditional and high intensity cardio.

Mudpro69
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for insight Frosty. I too am a BIG believer in Leucine as a vital supplement to protecting the muscles from catabolism. I buy my Leucine from True Protein. Actually it is Leucine 4:1:1. It has all three EAAs. Thoughts?

Frosty
06-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for insight Frosty. I too am a BIG believer in Leucine as a vital supplement to protecting the muscles from catabolism. I buy my Leucine from True Protein. Actually it is Leucine 4:1:1. It has all three EAAs. Thoughts?

4:1:1 ratio BCAAs are great. Although since leucine is the main amino for stimulating protein synthesis and preventing protein catabolism, that's why I suggest 3g leucine pre-cardio for those that are concerned since it'll do the job with hardly any calories.

4:1:1 BCAAs, 0.22g/kg LBM pre/during workout is a great way to prevent muscle catabolism. I think this alone is enough to prevent muscle loss while dieting, even without a post-workout drink.

R_U_Red_D
06-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Empty for me

tight booty
06-05-2009, 09:28 PM
In the mornings I walk on an empty stomach and then drink my protein shake or if I am really super hungry and leaning out well and paranoid about losing muscle, then I will drink a protein shake but it has nil carbs. That is to preserve muscle. I never do high intensity cardio btw. I keep to brisk walking for at least 40 mins up to 2 hours.

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
For my first 2 shows I consumed a whey shake before then straight cardio however, at the Cal I came in too lean at 11.6 body fat content and was flat on stage. I am now filling out with beef and chicken straight not only tilapia. Since I am filling back out I eat my 1st 2-3 meals before training and cardio.

Frosty
06-06-2009, 01:08 AM
In the mornings I walk on an empty stomach and then drink my protein shake or if I am really super hungry and leaning out well and paranoid about losing muscle, then I will drink a protein shake but it has nil carbs. That is to preserve muscle. I never do high intensity cardio btw. I keep to brisk walking for at least 40 mins up to 2 hours.

My point was just that whey protein like that will to a high degree be turned into glucose anyway, regardless of the type of training.

tight booty
06-06-2009, 02:22 AM
My point was just that whey protein like that will to a high degree be turned into glucose anyway, regardless of the type of training.
Well that's where instinctive training comes into it and where your bodyfat levels are. If you have alot of fat to lose and are getting enough protein in your diet then do cardio totally on an empty stomach. However, if you are leaning out nicely and feel a bit flat, then have a shake with nil carbs mixed on water before cardio and then afterwards. I have used both methods.

Jeffatron
06-09-2009, 04:04 AM
45 mins, on an empty stomach as soon as I get up.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Instinctive training? If I followed my instincts, - wouldn't be doing an hour of cardio in the morning. I'd be SLEEPING.

bringingthehuge
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
i nice cup of black coffee before cardio

figurebre
07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I absolutely hate having to do cardio first thing on empty...but I guess it makes a huge difference! I have coffee first...it makes me sweat more and gives me energy

Northman
07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
is it better to drink a whey shake before you do your morning cardio to preserve muscle or should you really do it on a empty stomach?

the whole point of doing fasted cardio is too loose weight. How you planning on loosing weight if your blood sugar is threw the roof?

GirlyMuscle
07-04-2009, 03:16 PM
I voted other. I'm supposed to be doing morning fasted cardio but I only do it fasted half the time. Other times I eat breakfast first.