PDA

View Full Version : The Arnold Expo Thread

GREENMACHINE23
02-15-2009, 12:57 PM
The expo that takes place in Columbus during the Arnold Classic weekend is one of the biggest and the best. Lets discuss what our first reactions were to it the first time we went. What's good about the expo and what could be better about it.:)

GREENMACHINE23
02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
My first reaction when my wife and I went was complete awe and childlike wonderment.
We got the vip package and got to meet Arnold. I would have liked to have met him after competing on the stage, I am not exactly where I thought I would have been physically speaking, but still I felt honored. A lot of people at my work asked me how I enjoyed the "juice convention"? I told them that I was surround by the most friendly people. They asked if there were any fights. None to my knowledge, as I have seen more fights occur in the bar due to over consumption of alcohol. It was so cool meeting all of the pros and talking to such great legends as Larry Scott and Frank Zane. The next year I invited a couple of friends from work who were involved in the bodybuilding life style and one who was not. Ever since then they have been going back each year inviting their friends and family. I look forward to going to the Arnold again this year with my wife and daughter who I took last year.

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
This year is Arnold number 9 for me! It never gets old and the bodybuilders are so cool to the fans! It gets crowdwed but everyone is nice, no jerks thanj god. Im meeting some forum members at the Species booth on friday at 11am. I have met everyone in the industry more than once and its NEVER A LETDOWN! I have met about 10 forum members such as Curt james and they are cool too! My goal is to meet more this year and poast at least 100 pictures online! SEE YOU FREAKS IN COLUMBUS!

GREENMACHINE23
02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
It is truly amazing how many people go. I was going to go on Friday, but my daughter insisted that she had to go again, so Saturday it is.

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
As Mayor i will be there all 3 days and at the Mens Pre judge and night show! I will put up my own Arnold thread soon so you know what i look like. see you there freak!:D

GREENMACHINE23
02-15-2009, 01:39 PM
As Mayor i will be there all 3 days and at the Mens Pre judge and night show! I will put up my own Arnold thread soon so you know what i look like. see you there freak!:D

Cool.:cool: See you there.

JamesWebb
02-15-2009, 04:35 PM
this will be my first year and I can't wait. I'll be rockin a RazorRipped.com shirt, that I will have to get airbrushed because they dont make any lol. gotta represent

GREENMACHINE23
02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
You won't be disappointed. Enjoy.

msfit
02-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Last year was my first. After going to the Olympia in the fall, i was a bit disappointed. I was expecting it to be more Bodybuilding and Strongmen so was a bit overwhelmed with all the "other" things going on. This year I know more what to expect and am looking forward to taking more of it in. THERE is definitely LOTS to take in.

1baugh
02-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Crowded.
Stinky.
Mucho testoterone.
ILS is rampant. (imaginary lat syndrome)
Crowded.
Great supps.
Did I mention crowded ?

I LOVE IT.

Even though the crowd is a pain in the ass, most people need some serious hygeine talk, I wouldn't miss it for anything.

MichaelWayne
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM

LOL! Those are my favorite. I call them the "lets see if my elbows can touch" guys.

musclegoddess65
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
looking forward to going saturday and meeting up with some peeps from here...

Ann Caliri
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Crowded.
Stinky.
Mucho testoterone.
Crowded.
Great supps.
Did I mention crowded ?

I LOVE IT.

Even though the crowd is a pain in the ass, most people need some serious hygeine talk, I wouldn't miss it for anything.

LOL, I'm familiar with ILS, but we call it invisible luggage syndrome because the guys who have it look like they're carrying two giant suitcases!

Love, love, love the Arnold Expo. Very crowded but worth it. Two years ago my husband and I took his son along as his first introduction to the sport of bodybuilding. We chose the Arnold because he could experience a little of the bodybuilding and then be able to watch other sports so that what step-mom does on stage in an ity-bity bikini wasn't so overwhelming! Plus he got to meet and talk with Stephan Bonner and Randy Couture which totally made his year.

Frank Zane was incredibly friendly, actually noticed my pro-tan and asked if I was in the Amateur, how I thought I did, what I was posing to and wished me luck. He may have asked everyone the same questions but he left me feeling like they were genuine. Although I've always heard he's a nice guy, it really took me by suprise that this multiple Mr. Olympia took the time to ask and was so respectful to someone that is such an amateur. He could have just collected his 10 bucks for signing my shirt and sent me on my way, lol!

Spauldo
02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Im going for sure

JWolfe
02-15-2009, 11:08 PM
The last few years I have been a little disappointed just because there is so much other stuff that when you go to the expo it is crowded with people that have no clue what the are seeing and just wandered over from the pro ping-pong area but I still love it!

pecdeck
02-16-2009, 09:51 AM
we are coming up from Baltimore and this is my first time. looking forward to meeting some of the "Old Timers" and also the crew from Species.

GREENMACHINE23
02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
we are coming up from Baltimore and this is my first time. looking forward to meeting some of the "Old Timers" and also the crew from Species.

The Species booth is going to rock. Get in early because the place fills up fast. What is your definition of "Old Timers"? Have a great time!:)

pecdeck
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Since I'm an old guy, I guess guys like Zane, Corney, Scott and people like that. I'm sure Lou will be there. Mainly people from the 70's era that really inspired me years ago.

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
If you guys ever get to meet Vince Taylor he is MR COOL! Vince is also 53 years young and ripped as well, He is like meeting an old friend, He talks all day long!

john koenig
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Not to date myself too much, but I attended a couple of Arnold and Lorimer's Mr. International shows in Columbus pre-Arnold Classic, and have attended probably 2/3 of all of them, including the last ten or twelve in a row. Have worked booths at them (Biotest/Testosterone mag), and of course shuffled through for entire days of my life.

And I love it more than any other event... always the best people-watching, superior supplement goodie sampling, wonderful conversation with all manner of pros and gurus and strong people, and because I drive there from Wisconsin, I'm able to take advantage of crazy purchasing deals on Sunday.

For three or four days each year I feel as if I'm surrounded by my tribe, my people. At one time or another I've had the opportunity to talk to anyone in the field. There were years when Bill Phillips and the giant EAS booth ruled the roost. The years in the basement of the auditorium were quite intimate. That's where I first saw Greg Kovaks, quite a sight, behind a regular 8-foot table. Sweating and eating.

I remember Ronnie Coleman when almost nobody knew who he was, working the Met-Rx booth with Jimmy the Bull, who at the time was better known (and who was great with my then 16-year-old son).

Of course, I don't wear a tank top and don't have ILS!

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
John Koenig You have the Mayor beat! I love how the Industry and Bodybuilders treat the FANS! NO other Sport treats the Fans as well as bodybuilduing, I feel too that for 3 days im with MY PEOPLE! Training has SAVED many lives and been a MAJOR FORCE in my life! Hope to see you there John!

GREENMACHINE23
02-16-2009, 06:17 PM
The response to this thread is going great. The first year I was at the Arnold was when he became Governor. I have heard stories that he was quite approachable during his pre-governor days. The fact that he still attends each and every year is a testament to his love of bodybuilding.

buckimscl
02-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Be there Friday for the fifth straight year.

GREENMACHINE23
02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Be there Friday for the fifth straight year.

Awesome.

Razer
02-16-2009, 11:38 PM
LOL, I'm familiar with ILS, but we call it invisible luggage syndrome because the guys who have it look like they're carrying two giant suitcases!

Ann, ILS is too funny! I always nudge my wife and say he's holding his breath. ILS HAHA wait till I tell my wife!!!

Once we finish "building" our family I WILL make it to the Arnold Expo! That's a promise...:D

Will anyone be reporting from the AC on RXMuscle.com other than John and Dave?

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
After no MD booth and Dave and John getting fired! Thank god the WHACK PACK will be out in force at the Arnold Expo! MR G ,Rob smalley and the ANGRY BULL! Man IM FIRED UP!

ebfitness
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
This will be my third year. Haven't been let down so far! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

bluedata
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I live 4 blocks from the Convention Center :p and never missed it since I moved to Columbus in 2001. Love the freebies !!!

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Looks like you got it made. :)

esplendido
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I remember the Olympia at Veteran's Memorial in the 70's. I was so glad when Arnold and Lorimer hooked up and made Columbus the center of the bodybuilding universe again! Of course I'll be there.....again, with Mrs. esplendido (Gunz).

GREENMACHINE23
02-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I remember the Olympia at Veteran's Memorial in the 70's. I was so glad when Arnold and Lorimer hooked up and made Columbus the center of the bodybuilding universe again! Of course I'll be there.....again, with Mrs. esplendido (Gunz).

Perhaps Columbus would be the perfect site to build a brick and mortar Bodybuilding Hall of Fame? Even walking outside around Columbus you feel a great vibe from all of the people gathered to go to the Arnold.:)

B-DUB-
02-18-2009, 06:32 PM
i have contest tickets, and ready for the after party!!!

GREENMACHINE23
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
i have contest tickets, and ready for the after party!!!

Is this your first time going?

1baugh
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
By this time in two weeks;

I will have purchased boo-koo supps.
I will have let numerous protein sample farts.
Ogled at fitness women.
Laughed at numerous ILS tools.
Wished I had bigger biceps.

marcos chacon
02-23-2009, 04:47 AM
i will be there all the way from Spain.

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
The Expo is great,but it goes so fast! I hope to get some pics with you Marcos and post them here! Have a SAFE trip Marcos!

Blackie_Lawless
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Its like a circus....Freaks of all shapes and sizes.
And if you like half-naked , hard bodied chicks.....Your gonna love the show.

sturrific
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
We need to all meet at the RX Muscle/Species booth on thursday at 3pm and take a "Wack Pack" Photo!!!!

serge
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I went to the 07 Mr.Olympia and had a great time ,but alot of people tell me that
THE ARNOLD is even better because of the expo .Im really excited to finally meet
Dave and thank him personally for all of the help he gave me preparing for my show .

GREENMACHINE23
02-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Have a safe trip. Will you be working a booth?

lymbo
02-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm back for my 8th year..I missed last years, new baby thing..Cant wait to see everyone..Its so much fun, All the vedors and booth girls go all out for you. Cant miss me this year. BetaStax, We'll be right there when you come through the Expo door this year. So stop by say Hi. Have fun everyone

GREENMACHINE23
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm back for my 8th year..I missed last years, new baby thing..Cant wait to see everyone..Its so much fun, All the vedors and booth girls go all out for you. Cant miss me this year. BetaStax, We'll be right there when you come through the Expo door this year. So stop by say Hi. Have fun everyone

Will do.:)

sassy69
02-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Its a mix of loving to see my heros, I'll never forget the awe of seeing Lou the first time. I've got some memorable stories about Arnold. Its often the only time I get to catch up w/ friends from the sport and its my "spring break" since its usually such a long run from the Christmas holidays to summer when I don't do much of anythign exciting. It marks the "beginning" of the season and it never fails to be the best place on the planet to people watch. What a freak show!

And you see amazing things. If you stop to watch some of the stuff a little outside the realm of BB... for ex, I think it was the Army (???) booth - anyway they had a pull up bar and were challenging people to rip out x number of pull-ups like for boot camp.. So here's this tiny little girl, maybe 9 yrs old? You could tell she was a gymnast and had probably been at the Sports Festival competing... she did like 20 pullups in a row - tight form, perfect... and made all the muscle boys look sheepish after their attempts.

Aaron Singerman
02-27-2009, 02:28 AM

Marcos, you're flying in all the way from Spain? Milos isn't going to be able to be there, huh? I look forward to meeting you there!

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
02-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Yeah Arnold is our guy and we love him! This year will be the BEST EVER for me to meet all you guys and girls there!

GREENMACHINE23
02-27-2009, 06:46 PM
"Arnold is Numero Uno!"

BuklerMan
02-28-2009, 04:28 AM
+100

lymbo
02-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Warming: If its your first time dont drink and eat to my samples..dont say I didnt tell ya so..

john koenig
02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Lymbo has a good point. Be cautious about consuming too many of the little bar samples, and the random drinks. How many creatine and thermogenic samples does it take for your body to burst? Answer: by the second day you'll know. A couple of years ago I made certain I traveled with Dave's Fiberlyze, have a good breakfast, carefully snack during the day (stick to real protein shakes), then eat a good dinner. Labrada's booth always has decent bar samples that stay down, and some other legit companies, but be careful of the sugary bar pieces handed out, and the strange drink samples. You'll regret it (and so will those around you!)

GREENMACHINE23
02-28-2009, 11:21 AM
If you are not sure what you are sampling, please ask someone working the booth.
Last year I saw a woman going into what looked like a sugar crash. She told me that she had a whole redline energy drink or two I can't remember. I offered her a sample in my bag that had had some sugars in it and told her friends to get her some Gatorade. She didn't eat breakfast that morning. I asked if she was diabetic and she said no. She told me she felt very cold. I then told her friends to seek medical assistance out for her. If this is your first time, please read the labels and the serving sizes. I can't wait to go. To all of you going have fun and be smart.

john koenig
02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Here's what I successfully did most of last year: parked in the Hyatt garage. Had a can of mixed nuts in the car, and as I periodically walked to the car to unload bags of freebies and purchases, ate a handful of nuts each time. There are enough vendors giving away samples of protein-only drinks that you'll be good to go, ketogenic all the day!

bigem225
03-01-2009, 09:56 AM
This is my first year going, im going to arrive early, if u arrive early do some booths give out free stuff? little supplement packs, t shirts, tank tops, shaker bottles?

GREENMACHINE23
03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
This is my first year going, im going to arrive early, if u arrive early do some booths give out free stuff? little supplement packs, t shirts, tank tops, shaker bottles?

The earlier the better. The booths will be giving out free samples of their choosing all day. However, some booths hand out limited amounts of newer products at the start of the expo. Enjoy the Arnold!:)

GREENMACHINE23
03-01-2009, 10:41 AM
aD9u01qXWRE

It's almost time.

bigem225
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
thanks man im excited

GREENMACHINE23
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks man im excited

It will be fantastic.:D

Bermyguy
03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
this will be #3 for me- looking forward to it- loved every second of it!! Wondering how many companies will be at the expo this year, heard on the podcast that Weider will not be there, hoping that others will be out and representing.

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
03-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Greenmachine23 thats a great video,reminds me of my first arnold in 2001. I hope to see you at the expo!

Deserusan
03-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Gaspari Nutrition will be there and we'll have samples of our new protein powder (Myofusion) as well as Cytolean V2.

-D

MAYOR OF BODYBUILDING
03-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Gaspari booth is one of the best with cathy lee and I look foward to meeting mark alvisi who was in the april md. Rich was the man in the 80s!

GREENMACHINE23
03-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Gaspari Nutrition will be there and we'll have samples of our new protein powder (Myofusion) as well as Cytolean V2.

-D

See you there. :cool: