PDA

View Full Version : Calves to strong???

A2RHINO
06-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a problem that many would not consider a problem. I have reached a point where my calves have gotten so strong that when doing seated calf raises the pads on the machines crush my quads from the amount of weight being used. I have even attempted to do them as my last calf exercise hoping that they would be pre-exhausted but no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Frosty
06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Go for long time under tension and slow reps for the sets....go for 20-60 seconds of time under tension with slow reps (no bouncing) and full ROM.

hulkish808
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I've worked my way up to maxing out on the seated calf raise machine with 45's..so maybe like 5 plates or so, BUT I do a 10 sec-15 sec negative and explode back up..this is to warmup my calves for the donkey calf raises after that. I use the DC method for donkey calf raises.. and IF you're still stronger than that..haha try doing calf raises on the leg press.

oh and btw, yes don't bounce the weight, I see guys with chicken legs doing that all the time thinking they're working their calves..hahaha

gman
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I am glad I don't have to work my calves.

Have you tried just putting one leg in there and doing it one leg at a time with less weight?

Rattbones
06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
I have a problem that many would not consider a problem. I have reached a point where my calves have gotten so strong that when doing seated calf raises the pads on the machines crush my quads from the amount of weight being used. I have even attempted to do them as my last calf exercise hoping that they would be pre-exhausted but no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Just how many other calf exercises are you doing, and what are they? No need to do the same thing every time. Seated calf raises can easily be substituted by other exercises. But I have always found seated calf raises uncomfortable.

Frosty
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Seated calf raises are interesting biomechanically because they relatively isolate the soleus by inhibiting the gastroc. The soleus is a slow twitch muscle, so it responds best to slower tempo and greater time under tension. Slower concentrics and eccentrics and also pausing at the bottom under load, and trying to keep constant tension on them by never resting and doing it for at LEAST 20 seconds but up to 60s or even more.

MichaelWayne
06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Go for long time under tension and slow reps for the sets....go for 20-60 seconds of time under tension with slow reps (no bouncing) and full ROM.

Quoted. Just in case you missed it the first time. :bowdown:

Becka
06-07-2009, 05:37 PM
hi guys,

my friend (woman) has trouble putting on size on her calves

She lifts heavy on them at low reps, trains them at least twice a week, her performance is strict and she doesnt bounce the weight, but she says she just cannot put size on, and feels if her genetics are naturally like that, then its almost like hitting a brick wall of not putting on size.

can anyone give advice on this stickler and i can forward it on to her

thanks guys

B

HeavyDutyGuy
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
hi guys,

my friend (woman) has trouble putting on size on her calves

She lifts heavy on them at low reps, trains them at least twice a week, her performance is strict and she doesnt bounce the weight, but she says she just cannot put size on, and feels if her genetics are naturally like that, then its almost like hitting a brick wall of not putting on size.

can anyone give advice on this stickler and i can forward it on to her

thanks guys

B

1. Most women don't have the hormonal profile to allow them to add much muscle size. 2. How much is she eating? You have to have at least a modest caloric surplus to gain much size. 3. How old is she? Too young, too old? 4. How heavy is heavy? eg. 80 lbs or so aint going to build bigger calves.

Frosty
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Also she could try training with more reps and time under tension. Try sets of 20 on donkey raise, or sets of 50 on seated. Do both donkey type and seated. Try hitting them a LOT more. calves are a stubborn muscle that often take more beating to grow. Maybe twice a day with a lot of sets each workout for 3-4 days in a row, then that the rest of the week off from training them, then repeat.

Becka
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I have fortunately, big calf muscles, lucky genetics i guess,

Ok her eating, i cant say specific, all i know is she isnt eating completely to a T, i know she consumes protein shakes but that doesnt help you guys really on the info,

She has just turned 30

Very slim, with lovely symmetry and has figure potential, but shes an academic and PhD student so her time is quite taken up by the workload.

Heavy she does 6-8 reps, using approx 3-4 sets on the calf machine (like a seated hackquat position) where 45* angle and raise your heels, seated calf raises followed by standing calf raises.

The 45* angle machine she starts off with a plate aside which in UK is 20kg = 44lbs
then she builds it up to a total of 4 plates (80kg) (2 plates a side)

same for seated calf raises aswell,

standing calf raises im not sure as i was in mid-raising my own calves ;)

20 sets!!!! you sure?! that sounds way too much...

HeavyDutyGuy
06-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Frosty is a high volume guy. Its what works for him. I'm at the other end. I do 3 sets for calves, never more than 4. But I train them hard, 1100 lb toe presses, gone up to 800 on standing calf raises, 6 plates on the seated calf raise. All to at LEAST positive failure. Sometimes forced reps or negatives. Gone from 15 1/2 to 18 1/2 inches with this approach. All roads lead to Rome. I just prefer the shortest one.

Frosty
06-09-2009, 01:17 AM
You can always try different methods and see what works. People respond differently. I personally never did well until I started jacking up my volume, regardless of the rep ranges, but others have found otherwise. But either way, it seems the answer is training them harder....either more sets or higher intensity with more failure and shock type methods. Either way don't be afraid...the calves tend to be stubborn muscles that need a lot of stimulation, and they're a small muscle group which means you can handle doing more sets or just hitting them harder in the same time.

Becka
06-10-2009, 12:12 AM
thanks guys i appreciate your input!