PDA

View Full Version : Plateau;What should I do?

gogeta5
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I've had a severe injury due to an accident,I've been hospitilized for 6 months & it's been a year since then & for the past 3 months I've been trying to regain my previous muscle mass this time drug free (or at least a big percent of it).I'm 6 feet,198 pounds at 7% bf right now,I started at 150 pounds & 12% bf.On training days I go like this: meal 1:9 egg whites+ 1 whole egg +25grams whey,80 grams of carbs coming from oats & an apple (that's my preworkout meal),meal 2:60 grams whey + 80 grams waxy maize (postworkout),meal 3: 50 grams of protein (turkey or chicken breasts) + 50 grams of carbs (brown rice) + green salad with extra virgin oil,meal 4: 30 grams of protein (salmon or tuna) + 25 grams of carbs (whole wheat bread),meal 5: 50 grams of protein (turkey or chicken breast) + 50 grams of carbs (brown rice) + green salad with extra virgin oil,meal 6: 9 egg whites + 1 whole egg,green salad with extra virgin oil & meal 7: 50 grams of casein with almonds & natural peanut butter.On workout days I subtitute the postworkout meal with 60 grams of casein + almonds + natural peanut butter.I workout 5 times a week,back on Mon,chest on Tue,legs on Wed,arms on Fri & shoulders & traps on Sat.I do 45 minutes of cardio (walking on a high incline) 4 times a week right now,sometimes depending on how I look I may add another 30 min session to keep bf in check.recently I hit a plateau,I tryied using creatine but my body doesn't seem to respond too well to it after the accident.as for cardio,it's doctors' order,since I have to do it for my heart which took most of the toll during my hospitilization.any ideas to surpass this plateau?

Clark Kent
06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I usually break plateaus through routine changes. Could be as simple as changing the angle at which you move during a certain exercise or dumping one exercise for another. For instance, instead of barbell military press use dumbells or a hammer machine. How many sets do you typically do per bodypart?

4x45 minutes a week of cardio could be slowing you down, but looks like you can't stop that.

gogeta5
06-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I use free weights for the most,most the machines in my gym seem to make me feel really uncomfortable after the accident,I guess it's the angle of the machines (all of the machines in my gym are cybex),only few machines like leg press or cable crossover are painfree for me,but free weights are ok for now,with the exception of some excercises like ex. tris kickbacks,they hurt like hell but not in the muscle,I feel like my joints are being pulled out.my chest is really ahead so I typically do 6-7 sets,or else it grows too fast for my rest of the body.for back I do 20sets,for shoulders 12 sets,8 for traps,for legs 20 sets & 9 for bi's & 12 for tris.I 'm trying to bring up my arms they're lacking,but having all the arms' bones neing broken a year ago doesn't help a lot.I'm not doing less than 10-8 reps,my body isn't still ready for this,but i saw my legs & back responding a lot better this way.but my arms seem to stay the same while the rest of the body grows.doctor says I have to keep the cardio up,so that my jeart will start working like it used to.thanks for the advice

Clark Kent
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
try 6-8 reps for size/strength and see if you responed better to that. maybe adjust the seat height on the cybex machines to vary the angle or maybe try a slightly closer grip/wider grip. grips, positioning, and how you move are easily varied with free weights.

gogeta5
06-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I 'm currently trying different angles,hoping to find one that doesn't bother me,but as for the lower reps,that means increasing the poundage,my bones haven't healed yet,at least that's what i'm feeling right now.what do you think of my diet,any suggestions?