PDA

View Full Version : Chest Stubborn, Bench press feels more of...

billyjr
06-06-2009, 03:45 AM
For some reason my chest has always been stubborn. Ive been bbing on/off for over 3 years. I am just now fully committing myself because I had health issues in the past that have been resolved.

I always feel when I am doing a barbell bench press, (monster of chest workouts and staple), that I feel it a ton in my lats. It doesnt even matter if I try to do light weight vs all out heavy sets 3-5 reps. My lats def grow a ton faster and my back overshawdows along with my shoulders my chest.

Am i doing the bench press wrong? Has anyone else had this feeling that they feel it more in their back/lats?

BIGALO
06-06-2009, 11:48 AM
try pre-exhausting your pecs with flyes, crossovers or the pec-deck then try benching. Dumbell benching i find is easier to focus on the pecs.

militantmuscle
06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Try changing your grip. Also have someone observe to make sure that when you perform the exercise you are moving on a 'curve', bench isn't a straight up and down exercise.

mr intensity
06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
try doing all the incline movements barbell dumbell presses and flys after pre exhaustion....

Sledge
06-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Get someone to check your form and body position on the bench. Sounds to me like your kind of hunched on the bench, keeping your back flat along it's length. Your back should retain it's natural arch on the bench if you try and flatten it out it can cause you to experience discomfort in your lats.

Also try switching to dumbell bench for a while and realy concentrate on form and contracting your pecs with each rep, weight will be lighter than with barbell so be ready for that, start with about 70% of the weight you barbell bench then work up to a good working weight with good form.

billyjr
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Get someone to check your form and body position on the bench. Sounds to me like your kind of hunched on the bench, keeping your back flat along it's length. Your back should retain it's natural arch on the bench if you try and flatten it out it can cause you to experience discomfort in your lats.

Also try switching to dumbell bench for a while and realy concentrate on form and contracting your pecs with each rep, weight will be lighter than with barbell so be ready for that, start with about 70% of the weight you barbell bench then work up to a good working weight with good form.

Yea i feel sometimes this happens, I try to arch my back just a tiny bit but Im going to try and and do dumbbells only I guess for a while. Should I do dumbells for incline too, or no?

billyjr
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Try changing your grip. Also have someone observe to make sure that when you perform the exercise you are moving on a 'curve', bench isn't a straight up and down exercise.

when you mean change your grip, what do you mean. I thought there was only one way of holding the barbell?

Strikerrjones
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
when you mean change your grip, what do you mean. I thought there was only one way of holding the barbell?

Wider grip or closer grip.

"Rodz"
06-13-2009, 07:07 PM
try pre-exhausting your pecs with flyes, crossovers or the pec-deck then try benching. Dumbell benching i find is easier to focus on the pecs.

good tip

esplendido
06-15-2009, 12:19 AM
For some reason my chest has always been stubborn. Ive been bbing on/off for over 3 years. I am just now fully committing myself because I had health issues in the past that have been resolved.

I always feel when I am doing a barbell bench press, (monster of chest workouts and staple), that I feel it a ton in my lats. It doesnt even matter if I try to do light weight vs all out heavy sets 3-5 reps. My lats def grow a ton faster and my back overshawdows along with my shoulders my chest. Am i doing the bench press wrong? Has anyone else had this feeling that they feel it more in their back/lats?

If you're feeling it in your lats, your triceps aren't strong enough to bench heavy enough to build your chest. Give your tri's some extra attention and go heavy on pushdowns. Do pushdowns first. 1 warm-up set, then pyramid 3 sets, starting with the first set at a weight that allows 10 reps, then the next set heavy enough for only 8, then the last set hevay enough for only 4-6 reps. Follow that with weighted dips...DEEP. Then finish with cable kickbacks using weight that allows only 8-10 reps per set, 3 sets.

As your tri's come up, your bench will follow. Do tri's on a different day than bench.

DZLMICK
06-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Definitely stick with dumbells for a while and try doing more incline presses and flyes for a while

ANADROLicfreak
06-19-2009, 09:35 AM
this might be news but you dont need flat bench to build a good chest.incline movements are better in my opinion.make sure your form is good first off.if you use strict form with lighter weights your better off.heavyweight is a tool that is all.i only do flat dumbell presses.try that and see how your chest responds.

grandmaster87
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
dude dont stress....and fuck flat do incline shit and you will get a monster chest

miamibodybuilder
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
in my opinion i would recommend you take the advice you've been gettting on here man. try to pre-exhaust the pecs first and then do your benches. something else thats been working for me because trust me i also have very very stubborn pecs is to change up and vary the rep ranges on my exercises. i dont just focus on one specific rep range all the time. some exercises i'll go high reps and others i'll go low reps. one exercise thats been helping me is guillotine incline and flat presses. make sure to have your shoulders completely warmed up before you do this. i saw roelly winklaar doing these in an issue of MD. look them up and give them a try, they've been helping me out.

phrikshin
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM

I believe he is referring to the position of ur grip on the bar.

When training bench for increasing my 1RM, I start with a power grip which is (typically) with your pinkies touching the rings for someone about 6'0" (Mine is further our but im 6'4"). Then I switch to a wider grip which is about 6 inches wider than my power grip. Then there is a narrow grip I do after the wide grip which is about 6 inches narrower than a power grip.

How well this will work to increase chest mass for you is debateable, but it can definitely help you increase the muscular firepower in your chest as long as ur eating enough. And if you are seeing huge increases in strength, you will have to see some increases in size. Though if you are really focused on BB and size, I would recommend doing what others have recommended in this thread.