PDA

View Full Version : How much caffeine would it take to kill a person?

GDavis
10-31-2012, 01:14 AM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/W0Vy5_uF9vFmQGe.TtOWHw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/thesideshow/2df26b8a756eaaabe024fa2c6a2fab50.jpg
After the recent lawsuit against the manufacturers of Monster energy drinks,Popular Science (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-10/fyi-how-much-caffeine-would-it-take-kill-you) looked into the question of "how much caffeine would it take to kill you?"
In short, it would take at least six gallons of McDonald's coffee. In April, a coroner's report cited a New Zealand woman's consumption of Coca-Cola as being related to her death. But she reportedly had a number of other unhealthy habits, including smoking cigarettes and a poor diet.
But as Popular Science notes, individual reactions to caffeine intake vary from person to person and are heavily influenced by a number of other factors, including related health issues and the consumption of other substances, such as alcohol.
The Journal of Caffeine Research (http://www.liebertpub.com/JCR) editor-in-chief Jack James tells PopSci that it takes "about" 10 grams of caffeine to achieve lethal levels. According to the Mayo Clinic, the average adult can safely consume 200 mg to 300 mg of caffeine per day, the equivalent of about 2 to 4 cups of coffee. However, consuming more than 500 mg per day can begin to trigger side effects, including insomnia, fast heartbeat and muscle tremors.
The U.S. National Institutes of Health says that deaths from toxic levels of caffeine are rare (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15935584), but does cite two examples in recent years.
A wrongful-death lawsuit filed last week against the makers of Monster energy drinks claims that 14-year-old Anais Fournier drank two 24-ounce cans of Monster in the day before she unexpectedly died late in 2011. The coroner's report described "caffeine toxicity" as contributing to her death.
"Caffeine toxicity of the kind experienced by Ms. Fournier (if, indeed, that is what she experienced) is not well understood," James says. "There is speculation in the literature regarding the possibility of some individuals having a peculiar sensitivity to caffeine, but there is no clear definition or understanding of what such sensitivity might be."
In the case of Anais Fournier, a coroner's report says that the child died of "caffeine toxicity" after reportedly consuming the Monster energy drinks, which equaled about 240 mg of caffeine.
"I don't see another case of a child who died from acute exposure to the equivalent of four coffee cups of caffeine," applied nutritionist Mark F. McCarty told Popular Science. "That strikes me as extremely rare. I can't imagine that Monster was worried about this, because there's nothing in the literature to suggest this would happen."
Nonetheless, James points to both American and Australian statistics from 2010 showing that a number of individuals have been admitted to hospitals in recent years with caffeine-related conditions. Still, those numbers remain relatively small and rarely have resulted in fatal conditions.
"Nevertheless, of the many thousands of cases of caffeine exposure registered with the American Association of Poison Control Centers alone, some do indeed result in death," James said. "Until the advent of energy drinks, essentially all of the many reports of lethal and near-lethal cases of caffeine poisoning, involved atypical methods of ingestion. The advent of energy drinks appears to have changed that profile."

swingslammer
10-31-2012, 03:13 AM
Here is a web site I found when in Afghanistan. You can put in your weight and almost any caffeine containing product and it will tell you how much it will take to kill you.

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine

GDavis
10-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Here is a web site I found when in Afghanistan. You can put in your weight and almost any caffeine containing product and it will tell you how much it will take to kill you.

that is interesting

Matt Knappick
10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
I was with a "certain person who if he sees this post will know that im talking about him" who ingested around 2grams of pure caffeine powder....lets just say it was one terrifying experience for him.

lastson
10-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm calling BS on the more than 500mg a day causing sides.. I've been way over that without a problem..

data4
10-31-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm calling BS on the more than 500mg a day causing sides.. I've been way over that without a problem..

Ive been over a gram prepping. No sides besides trashed adrenals after awhile

Jason Newman
10-31-2012, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLySoxFXu8

lastson
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM

I should add up everything at see where I was at, but I'm sure it was around that... And yes I would bet my adrenals were and probably are still trashed... I've cut way way back..

Big Baldwin
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Same here. 1g caffeine is the only way to beat keto

Curt James
10-31-2012, 10:37 PM

By that site's numbers (and my math) 13,650mg of caffeine would kill me.

Joe Buzz Caffeine Pouch @ 130mg each would take 105 units to kill me at 200 lbs.

105 X 130 = 13,650 or 13.65 grams

On average, the FDA suggests a dosage of 100 to 200 mg not more often than every 3 to 4 hours – a maximum of 500 mg a day.

More @ http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/.../UCM205286.pdf

Curt James
10-31-2012, 10:43 PM

"One hundred to 200 mg (one to two 5-ounce cups of coffee) each day is the limit that some doctors suggest, but each person is a little different. How caffeine affects people varies with their size, their sex, and how sensitive they are to caffeine’s effects. Experts agree that 600 mg (four to seven cups of coffee) of caffeine or more each day is too much."

From that pdf link above

AVBG
11-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I nominate Waylon to be the one to test out the human tolerance of caffeine!

..WAYLON!...WAYLON!... WAYLON!...WAYLON!..etc

gilbrt
11-01-2012, 04:39 AM
I have had close to 1000mg in a 24 hour working shift and I wouldn't recommend it but I definatly didn't think I was going to die but I have been using excessive amounts of caffeine for years to get to this point . And yes I know it's not healthy or smart

lastson
11-01-2012, 05:47 AM
"One hundred to 200 mg (one to two 5-ounce cups of coffee) each day is the limit that some doctors suggest, but each person is a little different. How caffeine affects people varies with their size, their sex, and how sensitive they are to caffeine’s effects. Experts agree that 600 mg (four to seven cups of coffee) of caffeine or more each day is too much."

From that pdf link above

I drink about 2 pots of coffee a day (one before bed) on top of all the "other" caffeine laced products taken... Caffeine just dosent have much of an effect any longer... Maybe I just have a problem :(

Curt James
11-01-2012, 09:52 PM
^^^^ Sounds more like a plus. :-)

Hoss06
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I drink one pot of coffee per day and preworkouts (300mg caffeine) plus an occasional sf energy drink...no problems (that I know of :D)

Big Baldwin
11-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I woke up today and tried to function with no caffeine.. I didn't get shit done. Addiction :(

Waylon
11-01-2012, 10:06 PM

Thin Ice, AVBG. Thin Ice.

lastson
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I woke up today and tried to function with no caffeine.. I didn't get shit done. Addiction :(

Lol.. I'm not even sure I would wake up without caffine...

Congrats for tryin, but Damn your crazy :D

Hoss06
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Last is the caffeine champ

Mr.Dedication
11-01-2012, 10:31 PM

I can run on 1-2g a day without any sides so I'm with you

Rambo2
11-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I think you guys have high tolerance, I went from zero caffeine to 600mg a day and had headaches

Minnphat
11-02-2012, 08:52 AM
am I the only one who could only handle one cup of coffee a day? if I have a second I have terrible anxiety and will not sleep well???

cook
11-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I got to have that morning coffee

Hoss06
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
^^x2

joe d
11-02-2012, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLySoxFXu8

this guy is a heart attack waiting to happen. he is pretty funny though.

OMEGA
11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I used to be a teller when I went to University and chewed out the VP of monster when she was in line :) she was really mean.............

surprisingly I was not fired...........

OMEGA
11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
but it makes no sense they are being sued, there only about 100 mgs of Caff per serving

Sam Poe
11-02-2012, 10:35 AM
I drink about a pot a day myself of strong black coffee, without it I get fierce headaches by early afternoon. Can you say ADDICTED....

Sam Poe
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Don't forget this little tidbit of information copied from www.unc.edu/ (http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictC.html)

<dl><dt>cup (c) [3]</dt><dd>an informal unit of volume for coffee. The size of a cup of coffee varies according to local custom, but a typical size is about 5 fluid ounces or 150 milliliters.</dd><dt>curie (Ci)
</dt></dl>

Rawstrength
11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I used to live off at least 600 a day but would average around 800mg

Johnny Bravo
11-25-2012, 02:56 AM
I've done 2500mg (by mistake) years ago. Not the best day I've had up to that point.

MikeS
11-25-2012, 05:16 AM

Its an individual thing. For me, even having 1 cup of decaf makes me go to the bathroom ten million times a day, worsens sleep and increases feelings of stress/anxiety.

MikeS
11-25-2012, 05:18 AM
am I the only one who could only handle one cup of coffee a day? if I have a second I have terrible anxiety and will not sleep well???

lol you're not the only one. 1 cup of decaf f**ks me up. Shame coz I love the taste!

MikeS
11-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Same here. 1g caffeine is the only way to beat keto

lol you do know keto causes the kidneys to dump all the salt in the body right? If you replace the salt you're losing you wont experience that fatigue.

gatordevin85
11-25-2012, 09:19 AM
A lot of caffeine goes a long way. Consuming a ton of it may have killed a young girl. One of my employees could have 2 cups of pop on lunch and be wired the rest of the day, I take 3 scoops of jack3d just to be able to function after work in the gym and 2-3 cups of coffee in the am so I don't wanna hurt people at work.

heavyiron
11-25-2012, 10:07 AM
When I was in my 20's I could drink strong coffee or espresso and fall asleep no problem. Almost exactly when I turned 30 my tolerance went way down. I was havinbg terrible panic attacks and anxiety at night to the point I thought I was having heart problems. After a few months I figured out it may be caffeine related so I dropped all afternoon caffeine. This helped tremendously. Now I only drink coffee/caffeine early in the day.

Widge
11-25-2012, 02:26 PM
when i was younger i had some powder and first time out i just sprinkled some into my shake, must have been at least a teaspoons worth but didn't drink it all im guessing i took in about 3g........ye, that was a nice night in the hospital.

GDavis
11-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I once years ago, popped 3 Gasperi Mitotropin with my two scoops Superpump 250. Halfway through the workout I ended up laying on a bench in the hallway like a bay in fetal position grabbing my head in throbbing pain. After about 30-40 minutes it subdued and I went home. What a fool, all the way to the gym and no workout. I am not the stim whore I used to be. Now I just use them through pre workout products for an extra pickup when I train late at night after work.

Big Barry
11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
My vision goes all blurry if I drink a pot of coffee too fast - I crapped myself when Dave put up an article linking coffee to glaucoma. Scary stuff!

braveheart
11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I drank a bottle of red line on a high volume arm day and that shit had me seeing stars and tunnel vision and thats only something like 270mgs of caff. anhy. and Im normally 215lbs I must be a light weight when it comes to the caff.

TonyElTigre
11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
I have also had a bad experience with redline. I drank an entire bottle one day
before a workout and i was not only seeing stars but I got very light headed.
I think that stuff is gross and can cause you some serious problems. I would
stay away from it.

Gregzs
12-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe it'll kill if you find out where it comes from. They pull it out of an elephant's...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20121207/AS.Thailand.Elephant.Coffee/

GOLDEN TRIANGLE, Thailand — In the lush hills of northern Thailand, a herd of 20 elephants is excreting some of the world's most expensive coffee.
Trumpeted as earthy in flavor and smooth on the palate, the exotic new brew is made from beans eaten by Thai elephants and plucked a day later from their dung. A gut reaction inside the elephant creates what its founder calls the coffee's unique taste.

Stomach turning or oddly alluring, this is not just one of the world's most unusual specialty coffees. At $1,100 per kilogram ($500 per pound), it's also among the world's priciest.
For now, only the wealthy or well-traveled have access to the cuppa, which is called Black Ivory Coffee. It was launched last month at a few luxury hotels in remote corners of the world — first in northern Thailand, then the Maldives and now Abu Dhabi — with the price tag of about $50 a serving.

The Associated Press traveled to the coffee's production site in the Golden Triangle, an area historically known for producing drugs more potent than coffee, to see the jumbo baristas at work. And to sip the finished product from a dainty demitasse.

In the misty mountains where Thailand meets Laos and Myanmar, the coffee's creator cites biology and scientific research to answer the basic question: Why elephants?
"When an elephant eats coffee, its stomach acid breaks down the protein found in coffee, which is a key factor in bitterness," said Blake Dinkin, who has spent $300,000 developing the coffee. "You end up with a cup that's very smooth without the bitterness of regular coffee."

The result is similar in civet coffee, or kopi luwak, another exorbitantly expensive variety extracted from the excrement of the weasel-like civet. But the elephants' massive stomach provides a bonus.
Think of the elephant as the animal kingdom's equivalent of a slow cooker. It takes between 15-30 hours to digest the beans, which stew together with bananas, sugar cane and other ingredients in the elephant's vegetarian diet to infuse unique earthy and fruity flavors, said the 42-year-old Canadian, who has a background in civet coffee.

"My theory is that a natural fermentation process takes place in the elephant's gut," said Dinkin. "That fermentation imparts flavors you wouldn't get from other coffees."
At the jungle retreat that is home to the herd, conservationists were initially skeptical about the idea.

"My initial thought was about caffeine — won't the elephants get wired on it or addicted to coffee?" said John Roberts, director of elephants at the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation, a refuge for rescued elephants. It now earns 8 percent of the coffee's total sales, which go toward the herd's health care. "As far as we can tell there is definitely no harm to the elephants."

Before presenting his proposal to the foundation, Dinkin said he worked with a Canadian-based veterinarian that ran blood tests on zoo elephants showing they don't absorb any caffeine from eating raw coffee cherries.
"I thought it was well worth a try because we're looking for anything that can help elephants to make a living," said Roberts, who estimates the cost of keeping each elephant is about $1,000 a month.

As for the coffee's inflated price, Dinkin half-joked that elephants are highly inefficient workers. It takes 33 kilograms (72 pounds) of raw coffee cherries to produce 1 kilogram of (2 pounds) Black Ivory coffee. The majority of beans get chewed up, broken or lost in tall grass after being excreted.

And, his artisanal process is labor-intensive. He uses pure Arabica beans hand-picked by hill-tribe women from a small mountain estate. Once the elephants do their business, the wives of elephant mahouts collect the dung, break it open and pick out the coffee. After a thorough washing, the coffee cherries are processed to extract the beans, which are then brought to a gourmet roaster in Bangkok.

Inevitably, the elephant coffee has become the butt of jokes. Dinkin shared his favorites: Crap-accino. Good to the last dropping. Elephant poop coffee.
As far away as Hollywood, even Jay Leno has taken cracks.

"Here's my question," Leno quipped recently. "Who is the first person that saw a bunch of coffee beans and a pile of elephant dung and said, `You know, if I ground those up and drank it, I'll bet that would be delicious.'"
Jokes aside, people are drinking it. Black Ivory's maiden batch of 70 kilograms (150 pounds) has sold out. Dinkin hopes to crank out six times that amount in 2013, catering to customers he sees as relatively affluent, open-minded and adventurous with a desire to tell a good story.

For now, the only places to get it are a few Anantara luxury resorts, including one at the Golden Triangle beside the elephant foundation.
At sunset one recent evening in the hotel's hilltop bar, an American couple sampled the brew. They said it surpassed their expectations.

"I thought it would be repulsive," said Ryan Nelson, 31, of Tampa, Florida. "But I loved it. It was something different. There's definitely something wild about it that I can't put a name on."
His wife Asleigh, a biologist and coffee lover, called it a "fantastic product for an eco-conscious consumer," since the coffee helps fund elephant conservation.
But how does it taste?

"Very interesting," she said, choosing her words carefully. "Very novel."

"I don't think I could afford it every day on my zookeeper's salary," she said. "But I'm certainly enjoying it sitting here overlooking the elephants, on vacation."

Daniel
12-09-2012, 07:16 AM

omg...did you went completely off after that? any withdrowals?

Big Barry
12-09-2012, 08:02 AM
I wonder if GDavis ever got around to killing someone with caffeine...what a way to die - the convulsions must be immense...hell, I get major jitters from 4 cups of coffee!

Better ways to die than jittering! lol

GDavis
12-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I wonder if GDavis ever got around to killing someone with caffeine...what a way to die - the convulsions must be immense...hell, I get major jitters from 4 cups of coffee!

Better ways to die than jittering! lol

Hey, anybody have any good threads or articles on body disposal? No big deal. It is for research purposes only. Have a good day.

Waylon
12-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Hey how'd that workout? .... Trololol

Big Barry
12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Hey, anybody have any good threads or articles on body disposal? No big deal. It is for research purposes only. Have a good day.

It's sorted, brother! You will have a visiter at 2:30am to collect your 'trash'.

He will say... "The weather is clammy tonight!"

You will reply... "Just like big Rita's wahwahs!"

Anyone else would owe us a 'favor'... but your amusing threads are ample payment!

Swede
12-09-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324722/Party-goer-killed-2-spoonfuls-caffeine-powder--equivalent-70-Red-Bulls.html

around two spoonfuls

Big Barry
12-10-2012, 01:55 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324722/Party-goer-killed-2-spoonfuls-caffeine-powder--equivalent-70-Red-Bulls.html

around two spoonfuls

Damn... Why use arsenic or cyanide when you just buy a $3 tub of caffeine and say it was an accident.

AussieMuscle
12-10-2012, 02:16 AM
I could knock down 261 cans of Pepsi Max before I cark it. Damn I was close on the weekend..