PDA

View Full Version : 60 minutes of cardio...

cranny
06-08-2009, 12:54 PM
How do you bros go about your cardio? I've always done it right after weights and it's always been 35-40 min. Currently I'm 10 wks. out from a show and have bumped it up to 60min/ 6-7 times per week. Weight training usually takes me ~45 min but sometimes an hour depending on body part and volume. Then it's cardio immediately after. Could this be too much training in one shot? A side note here, I'm running test at the moment but want to make sure I'm not potentially eating into LBM. Would you split it into 2 cardio sessions/day or just leave it as is?

Scoobysnacks
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I prefer to start with morning cardio right out of bed hr below 120. Then add pwo if necessary but I like to recover pwo if possible. Other option split it up.

JG1
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd start with morning cardio cranny if possible. Then you could always come back to a PWO session if needed....a msuch shorter session (30 minutes)

The Thinker
06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I prefer to start with morning cardio right out of bed hr below 120. Then add pwo if necessary but I like to recover pwo if possible. Other option split it up.

ditto. This equation works the best for me. The cardio is so much more easy first thing in the morning.

The Big Sexy
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I split mine up - crazy as it sounds... but if I were to be doing an hour of cardio - I'd do 20 min morning, 20 min post workout and 20 min in the evening. If I was feeling froggy, I'd do 40 in the morning and 20 post workout. Seemed to work good for me.

BigJD69
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd start with morning cardio cranny if possible. Then you could always come back to a PWO session if needed....a msuch shorter session (30 minutes)
Agreed!

JAR OF NATTY
06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
never thought of splitting it up, but ive been doin the incline all the way up and at 4.0 mph for 30 mins and i always burn 650 calsories which i think is good for the day especially when my carbs are cut down big time

HeavyDutyGuy
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Im currently doing an hour morning fasted cardio (6 days a week, - do no training at all on Sunday), then on MWF another 1/2 hour post workout, on TThS an hour of PM cardio. So 10 1/2 weeks a week right now.

The Thinker
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM
never thought of splitting it up, but ive been doin the incline all the way up and at 4.0 mph for 30 mins and i always burn 650 calsories which i think is good for the day especially when my carbs are cut down big time

If I split it, I generally don't do less than 40 mins per session. What seems to work best is to do an hour first thing in the morning and then going back later to do more. I'm currently doing 1.5 - 2 hrs per day depending on how I feel.

cranny
06-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies all. I decided yesterday morning to start the day w/ a 30 min. jog. Then 30 more immediately after weights in the afternoon. So far I like this a lot better although it's only been 2 days of it:D. After doing 60 min. straight for a while 30 seems like nothing now.
Thanks again.

Scoobysnacks
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies all. I decided yesterday morning to start the day w/ a 30 min. jog. Then 30 more immediately after weights in the afternoon. So far I like this a lot better although it's only been 2 days of it:D. After doing 60 min. straight for a while 30 seems like nothing now.
Thanks again.

Not a fan of jogging. Its kind of the middle ground for cardio. For morning cardio when glucose is low you want to keep heart rate under 130 so you are using fats as a fuel source, once you are over that heart rate area you start to need glucose and in the morning there isnt much circulating, so then muscle can get metabolized to create it. If you want cardio with more higher heart rate then use HIIT in the evening after eating some meals, but jogging is kind of in limbo as far as cardio is concerned for a physique athlete looking to preserve muscle and shed bodyfat.

Now if strictly talking heart health then its great, but.....

Ss

cranny
06-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Not a fan of jogging. Its kind of the middle ground for cardio. For morning cardio when glucose is low you want to keep heart rate under 130 so you are using fats as a fuel source, once you are over that heart rate area you start to need glucose and in the morning there isnt much circulating, so then muscle can get metabolized to create it. If you want cardio with more higher heart rate then use HIIT in the evening after eating some meals, but jogging is kind of in limbo as far as cardio is concerned for a physique athlete looking to preserve muscle and shed bodyfat.

Now if strictly talking heart health then its great, but.....

Ss
Interesting Ss. Thing is at 5:00 in the A.M. no one is up but me and I don't want to disturb anyone else by cycling in the house. That was sort of the reason for running outside. I don't set a blistering pace at all but after reading your reply I may need to reassess. How about a fast paced walk? So long as I keep the my HR ~130?

Scoobysnacks
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Interesting Ss. Thing is at 5:00 in the A.M. no one is up but me and I don't want to disturb anyone else by cycling in the house. That was sort of the reason for running outside. I don't set a blistering pace at all but after reading your reply I may need to reassess. How about a fast paced walk? So long as I keep the my HR ~130?

walking outside is awesome, thats what I do many mornings when its not raining.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Medium pace (2.8- 3 mph) walking and cycling are my tortures of choice right now.

GaJoe
06-27-2009, 11:01 AM
walking outside is awesome, thats what I do many mornings when its not raining.

Started doing this a few weeks ago and getting off the treadmill..what a difference. I get a cup of coffee, leash the dogs and go....I am two weeks out and have been doing an hour before breakfast and an hour after my last meal for 10 weeks now....

JAR OF NATTY
07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I have been doin 45-to 1 hopur every morning (fasted) on full incline and either 3.5-4.0. I always make sure i burn 900 to 1000 cals this way i know even after my first two melas i will still be on a good deficet of cals throughout the day. Then I hit the gym and depending how i feel ill do the same type of cardio for 15-30 mins.

maxxmuscle
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I do mine before breakfast.60 mins walking on treadmill @ 3.3mph.Once i get over 1 hour i tend to do another session around 8.00pm.An hour is torture enough :(

Provo82
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
im currently doing 45 min on an empty stomach of 3.3 on the treadmill or elliptical. Last show i had alot of fat to get rid of so i was doing one hr in the am one hour post workout i was pretty miserable all the time.

tribal
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
How do you bros go about your cardio? I've always done it right after weights and it's always been 35-40 min. Currently I'm 10 wks. out from a show and have bumped it up to 60min/ 6-7 times per week. Weight training usually takes me ~45 min but sometimes an hour depending on body part and volume. Then it's cardio immediately after. Could this be too much training in one shot? A side note here, I'm running test at the moment but want to make sure I'm not potentially eating into LBM. Would you split it into 2 cardio sessions/day or just leave it as is?
dont you think, mentioning wether or not you use pharmaceuticals is pertinent info?:dunno:

Palumbos Boy
08-31-2009, 04:25 AM

thats fine!! either do first thing in the morning or directly after your workout
just make sure your cardio is not too intense or you can sacrifice losing muscle