PDA

View Full Version : Hey Folks! There are no limits!! Anyone can be a Pro!!

IFBB Pro Nancy Bowlin
11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
People often ask, ‘How did you do it? How did you get your IFBB pro card at age 52?’ Often followed by, ‘you're so lucky - you're so genetically blessed, I wish I looked like you!’

Folks, I'm not genetically blessed or lucky, I'm just like you - only older LOL!! The reason I was able to reach my goal of becoming a pro is a result of hard work everyday and consistently sticking to my food plan!

There's nothing special about me that gave me an advantage. I've never been the prettiest, the smartest, nor do I have any special talent in sports. I don't spend all day at the gym, I'm shy and introverted and started this journey at age 50, 40 pounds over weight and so sick with acute mononucleosis I could not get out of bed. I'm hypothyroid, I have gluten intolerance and chronic fatigue and add to that - menopausal!! SInce starting my journey two years ago I have had a slew of health related issues: mono twice, strep throat twice, bronchitis, and pneumonia. I have no cartilage in my left knee and I tore my inner-coastal muscles in my left rib cage a year ago. Posing causes shooting pain in my side every single time I practice or compete. I have a full time corporate desk job, a husband, 3 kids, a dog, family and friends, which all require time and attention too. Balancing all these important people and responsibilities with regaining my health & pursuing fitness goal of becoming an IFBB pro certainly wasn't easy, but I guarantee it was worth it. So . . . back to the original question, how did I do it?

1) First of all you MUST MUST MUST follow your exercise & food plan CONSISTENTLY and you MUST push yourself out of your comfort zone. Achieving great results is not comfortable or easy, but neither is being over weight, out of shape and feeling & looking like crap everyday. Choose to make your pain move you towards positive results instead of negative ones.

2) NO EXCUSES. Arrange your schedule to get your workouts in everyday - even when you're tired, it's raining, or snowing & freezing cold outside, it's late, you don't have time, you're sore, etc, etc – NO EXCUSES - even if it means getting up at 4 am, while the rest of the world is sleeping. You will not make any progress if you only work out on the days you feel good. Just do it!!

3) You MUST BE ORGANIZED and plan ahead, prep your food for at least a week ahead of time. Prep your gym bag, your food and your errands list the day before so when you do get up at 4 am you can just grab everything and go. Life happens, so carry your food with you everywhere. Being organized is critical as it will allow you to remain balanced and still spend quality time with family & friends and set an example for your family that it is possible to "have it all": live a healthy lifestyle, work full time, raise a family, be happy and look smokin hot at any age!!

4) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE ENERGY. People who share your goals and dreams and who have an orientation towards positive energy so you can emulate their energy. Connect with other competitors, locally & through the social networks. The more time you spend with positive influences the faster you will improve.

5) STUDY and LEARN everything you possibly can about your area of interest (bikini, figure, fitness, body building, physique). Get professional help, hire a certified trainer or coach for the areas you need help with. Go to local shows, study the photos of the pros and National women on line, watch videos of their posing. Don't be afraid to reach out to these people, including the pros, when you are struggling or just have questions. We've all been there and are here to help you.

6) BALANCE mind, body and spirit read books like "The Mind Gym," that improve your mental strength and/or "The Secret" that improves your spiritual strength. When you're so sore & tired, escape in an epsom salt bath, relax and read one these books, you'll feel renewed.

7) BE PATIENT & ENJOY your journey! Everyone's journey is different - don't compare your progress with anyone else's. Changing your body is not going to happen overnight, it takes time and consistent dedication. Look at old photos so you can see your progress and celebrate your successes.

8) NO NEGATIVITY. Don't say negative things like "I hate cardio" say I love cardio!! Because of cardio even at 52 when I walk into a room by booty shouts boom-chicka-boom-boom-pow -bombshell in da house!!
Stop whining about your food. Competitors eat more in one day than most people eat in a week. We age from the inside out and only a clean diet along with your work outs will give you that tight youthful body. Competitors enjoy sexy shoulders, tiny waist, a beautiful booty and glowing youthful skin. So I ask you -- What's not to LOVE about your plan?!?!

And in closing -- Don't set limits on yourself - NEVER say it's too late, you're too old, too fat, too skinny, too busy, or it's too hard, etc, etc, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and JUST DO IT, and NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!

I have attached a photo of my first competition vs my pro debut.

Nancy Bowlin
IFBB Figure Pro
Follow me on:
Facebook: IFBB Pro Nancy Bowlin
Blog Spot: ifbbpronancybowlin.blogspot.com

The Prodigy
11-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Welcome to RX Girl! I am glad you are here! Your story can inspire many!

AVBG
11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Some great points Nancy! Thanks for sharing!

nbowlin
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Some great points Nancy! Thanks for sharing!

thank you

nbowlin
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Thank you

The Prodigy
11-07-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-arti...cy-bowlin.html

Laurie Schnelle
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
thanks for sharing and welcome to RX :)

curvygirl
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Awesome Nancy! I am 44 years young on the cusp of being a "Grand Master!" and have never been as strong and healthy in my adult life as I am now! Keep on rocking the stage mama! :D

nbowlin
11-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Awesome Nancy! I am 44 years young on the cusp of being a "Grand Master!" and have never been as strong and healthy in my adult life as I am now! Keep on rocking the stage mama! :D
Thank you curvy girl

nbowlin
11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
thanks for sharing and welcome to RX :)
Thank you FD!

PFEPerformance
11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote: 1) First of all you MUST MUST MUST follow your exercise & food plan CONSISTENTLY and you MUST push yourself out of your comfort zone. Achieving great results is not comfortable or easy, but neither is being over weight, out of shape and feeling & looking like crap everyday. Choose to make your pain move you towards positive results instead of negative ones.

2) NO EXCUSES. Arrange your schedule to get your workouts in everyday - even when you're tired, it's raining, or snowing & freezing cold outside, it's late, you don't have time, you're sore, etc, etc – NO EXCUSES - even if it means getting up at 4 am, while the rest of the world is sleeping. You will not make any progress if you only work out on the days you feel good. Just do it!!

3) You MUST BE ORGANIZED and plan ahead, prep your food for at least a week ahead of time. Prep your gym bag, your food and your errands list the day before so when you do get up at 4 am you can just grab everything and go. Life happens, so carry your food with you everywhere. Being organized is critical as it will allow you to remain balanced and still spend quality time with family & friends and set an example for your family that it is possible to "have it all": live a healthy lifestyle, work full time, raise a family, be happy and look smokin hot at any age!!

4) SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE ENERGY. People who share your goals and dreams and who have an orientation towards positive energy so you can emulate their energy. Connect with other competitors, locally & through the social networks. The more time you spend with positive influences the faster you will improve.

5) STUDY and LEARN everything you possibly can about your area of interest (bikini, figure, fitness, body building, physique). Get professional help, hire a certified trainer or coach for the areas you need help with. Go to local shows, study the photos of the pros and National women on line, watch videos of their posing. Don't be afraid to reach out to these people, including the pros, when you are struggling or just have questions. We've all been there and are here to help you.

6) BALANCE mind, body and spirit read books like "The Mind Gym," that improve your mental strength and/or "The Secret" that improves your spiritual strength. When you're so sore & tired, escape in an epsom salt bath, relax and read one these books, you'll feel renewed.

7) BE PATIENT & ENJOY your journey! Everyone's journey is different - don't compare your progress with anyone else's. Changing your body is not going to happen overnight, it takes time and consistent dedication. Look at old photos so you can see your progress and celebrate your successes.

8) NO NEGATIVITY. Don't say negative things like "I hate cardio" say I love cardio!! Because of cardio even at 52 when I walk into a room by booty shouts boom-chicka-boom-boom-pow -bombshell in da house!!
Stop whining about your food. Competitors eat more in one day than most people eat in a week. We age from the inside out and only a clean diet along with your work outs will give you that tight youthful body. Competitors enjoy sexy shoulders, tiny waist, a beautiful booty and glowing youthful skin. So I ask you -- What's not to LOVE about your plan?!?!

And in closing -- Don't set limits on yourself - NEVER say it's too late, you're too old, too fat, too skinny, too busy, or it's too hard, etc, etc, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and JUST DO IT, and NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!

FANTASTIC WORDS OF ADVICE!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Belief in oneself can move mountains!! CONGRATS!!!

nbowlin
11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote: 1) First of all you MUST MUST MUST follow your exercise & food plan CONSISTENTLY and you MUST push yourself out of your comfort zone. Achieving great results is not comfortable or easy, but neither is being over weight, out of shape and feeling & looking like crap everyday. Choose to make your pain move you towards positive results instead of negative ones.

FANTASTIC WORDS OF ADVICE!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Belief in oneself can move mountains!! CONGRATS!!!

Thank you Lil Freak!!