PDA

View Full Version : Record Assault

Hammerfit
11-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Ok, just did a trial run...........4 days out from being dry as a soda cracker on stage at 208lbs today did deads without straps for the very first time to see if the Raw Power Lifting meet this weekend was even possible.

Chaulked up and pulled singles all the way up to 545lbs and it didnt seem to be that difficult! The hardest part was cleaning up the mess I made in the gym with the chaulk! My best pull so far with versa grips has been 675. Decided not to go over the 545 today without grips...saving it for Sat. I think I got maybe 20 more lbs in me.

So officially Im all in for this Saturday

Weight this morning was 216lbs

I will competing for the 220lb 55-59 class records

American Record APA 520lbs

Hardatit
11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Looks like you are good to go!

Down4whatever
11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Hell yeah! You're one strong dude!

I'm looking for my next venture....I may give the APA a look for future Meets. I'm not gonna be setting any records, but I'd like to increase my best Meet total of 1,385.

Be careful with the body weight. Any plans to keep it tight?

4lbs ain't that much!!

Hammerfit
11-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Hell yeah! You're one strong dude!

I'm looking for my next venture....I may give the APA a look for future Meets. I'm not gonna be setting any records, but I'd like to increase my best Meet total of 1,385.

Be careful with the body weight. Any plans to keep it tight?

4lbs ain't that much!!

1385lb total!!!! Yeah Id say you need to get in! I know I got to stay at this weight until Fri nite...that may be the hardest part taking into account my appetite right now! Im eating the house down!

mrky03
11-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Ok, just did a trial run...........4 days out from being dry as a soda cracker on stage at 208lbs today did deads without straps for the very first time to see if the Raw Power Lifting meet this weekend was even possible.

Chaulked up and pulled singles all the way up to 545lbs and it didnt seem to be that difficult! The hardest part was cleaning up the mess I made in the gym with the chaulk! My best pull so far with versa grips has been 675. Decided not to go over the 545 today without grips...saving it for Sat. I think I got maybe 20 more lbs in me.

So officially Im all in for this Saturday

Weight this morning was 216lbs

I will competing for the 220lb 55-59 class records

American Record APA 520lbs

sounds like a good way to finish off the year Mike!

Hammerfit
11-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Weighed in @ 217.5. Thought I would be closer to 220 with all the carb loading. Time to go in my scary place......

Baldiewonkanobi
11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Sending you both peace and MFing strength thru the eithers......

Baldie

GerryT
11-10-2012, 04:37 PM
All best, Mike. You're one amazing athlete.

Hammerfit
11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
World Record broken! What's next? I'll post video tomorrow

ayezer
11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Congrats Mike, wow awesome pull.

I got the masters oveall in my push -pull.

mrky03
11-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, that's awesome Mike! Big congrats!

Hammerfit
11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm going to post this as an apology to the current world record holder. This was such a blur I didn't even realize what had happened. My first lift was announced as a world record, but there was a mix up in the weight class. If I had weighed 221 then it would have been. Oh well. Then the second attempt was indeed over the world class record, but unfortuntly for me in so many different ways I tore my bicep tendon at the top of the lift and did not wait for the down command from the judge and he disqualified the lift. You can see from the video it was not difficult and I did stand up with it, I guess I needed 1 more split second for him to say the word. What really sucks is I saw his hand going down, so I walked away in pain and rushed out of the building not knowing what had happened until this morning. I am upset more so because I have really damaged my left bicep and it looks like surgery is in my immediate future.

I feel really stupid for declaring this a victory and apologize to the current record holder for such a claim. In my mind I did the lift as instructed but the rules are clear and apparently I did not adhere to them.
<a href="http://youtube/d25mhkg-lMM" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" data-cke-saved-href="http://youtube/d25mhkg-lMM"><br>
http://youtu.be/d25mhkg-lMM (http://youtube/d25mhkg-lMM)

HeavyDutyGuy
11-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Ouch! But you made it look easy! Tough break!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-11-2012, 01:42 PM
PFUCK

That lift was poetry.

Get that surgery QUICK. The longer you wait the more distorted it will look. Its been 18 months since my pec rupture. My strength is only 80% back but I'm older. Most bicep tears repair very well. My bicep tear was so small they would not do surgery. Not at all visable.

Pic?

Heal quick.

Baldie

GerryT
11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mike. And most sorry about the tear. Agree with Baldie, have the surgery and heal fully and quickly.

Mac
11-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the injury Mike. You had no trouble lifting that weight.

swingslammer
11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I could tell from the vid that something was not right, sorry. I am and always will be a Bodybuilder, that is why I don't do anything else to endanger that. That being said I tore my tricept almost a year ago and I am good to go now. Good luck on your recovery.

masterschamp
11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
PFUCK

That lift was poetry.

Get that surgery QUICK. The longer you wait the more distorted it will look. Its been 18 months since my pec rupture. My strength is only 80% back but I'm older. Most bicep tears repair very well. My bicep tear was so small they would not do surgery. Not at all visable.

Pic?

Heal quick.

Baldie

What Baldie said, Mike...........get that thing fixed QUICK.........if you do, I am sure you will end up good as new.......you were a freakin beast on the lifts, bro!

Keith

mrky03
11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Ouch! How bad is the tear? So sorry this happened.

Hammerfit
11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
It seems at least from looking at it the tendon has been torn from the muscle. When I flex the bicep it goes up towards my delt leaving a void where the lower portion of the bicep was. It's pretty disgusting looking and Im pretty fucking pissed at myself. Went to the doctor this morning and turned around and left before going in. I'll try again this afternoon. I got to get my head right somehow someway.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Dr. Michael D. Gilmore Panama City. Former star football player. Does sports injury surgery.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Mike, just go. Do NOT beat yourself up. What you tried was ambitious and noble. It was just a bit risky and you got hurt. Bad luck. Take care of yourself please.

Hammerfit
11-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Got to the Docs. Confirmed what I already knew. Completly fucked. Said heavy lifting days may be over, then he, being a client of mine looked at me and said, that's what we tell normal people, you are not in that group. "Knowing you, you will recover and be ok." I guess this is a blessing and will force me to heal some of my nagging injuries.

Mac
11-14-2012, 07:54 AM
This was the one thing that concerned me when I saw that you were going to do the powerlifting during your contest prep. Your body is severely depleted and if anything can go wrong, this is the time it might happen.

I believe it would never have happened in your offseason.

You'll recover and knowing you, it won't keep you down, for very long.

Baldiewonkanobi
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Looks like you are in good hands. When you are depleated shit happens. Mac is correct. Another day another time you would have prevailed.

Baldie

Hammerfit
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Looks like you are in good hands. When you are depleated shit happens. Mac is correct. Another day another time you would have prevailed.

Baldie

I know you guys are right...trust me you are the 33rd person to remind me of this, and that's ok I know when I'm wrong and this is one of those times.

The problem is I have lived my entire life thinking I'm the baddest man on the planet even though I know that not to be true, it's just my mentality. Fucked up yes, but it has gotten me through some fucked up times and now more than ever I need to continue that attitude towards my latest rehab assignment. Maybe this is just one more life lesson and I will learn from it.

The Airborne mutherfucker mentality has struck again, but we always get back up and never leave anyone behind. Thank you all my brothers in iron here for your support!

mrky03
11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Mike, I hope everything heals up quickly. Yu should be good as new in a few months. Iknow how driven you are and how much you expect from yourself.

masterschamp
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
We're all your brothers here, Mike........and we all sure as hell know you'll beat this!

Keith

HeavyDutyGuy
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Mike I understand that mindset totally. Ok it backfired this time on you, but it got you here. I'm the exact same way. Hope it goes well bro.

bryantone
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
When you work out your legs while healing you bicep, have a partner to load plates and keep a eye on you so you dont do something stupid to prolong the injury. Everyone here knows you will be back 100% because of your determination. There are a few others that you know on this site that are a perfect example. I believe lifting sometimes replace brains with muscle. It gives me a excuse for being stupid.

Down4whatever
11-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear about this set back, Mike. Sucks ballz!

I will go against the grain and say that the depleted state had little to do with your tear. I know you're a seasoned veteran, so I will humbly offer this bit of insight.

I think two things happened:

1) Your bar speed was way too fast. I could be wrong, but deadlift is a power move off the floor and then a controlled slow lockout. You launched it off the floor and were locking out in a split second.

2) Your elbows were bent which puts tremendous tension on the bicep. I'm not sure if you had slightly injured the bicep during training and finished it off at the Meet, but we all know 523# is gravy train for you.

These are just observations from a guy with wayyyy fewer years of PL'ing under his belt (no pun intended). Take it for what it's worth. You know your body better than anyone.

I hope you get to healing very quickly and get back at it brother!

Baldiewonkanobi
11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Maybe this is just one more life lesson and I will learn from it.

!

Ahhhh if you are like me you will never learn. Its sadly in our DNA.

In war we would be the first ones over the hill, forgetting our helmets.

Baldie

Hammerfit
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear about this set back, Mike. Sucks ballz!

I will go against the grain and say that the depleted state had little to do with your tear. I know you're a seasoned veteran, so I will humbly offer this bit of insight.

I think two things happened:

1) Your bar speed was way too fast. I could be wrong, but deadlift is a power move off the floor and then a controlled slow lockout. You launched it off the floor and were locking out in a split second.

2) Your elbows were bent which puts tremendous tension on the bicep. I'm not sure if you had slightly injured the bicep during training and finished it off at the Meet, but we all know 523# is gravy train for you.

These are just observations from a guy with wayyyy fewer years of PL'ing under his belt (no pun intended). Take it for what it's worth. You know your body better than anyone.

I hope you get to healing very quickly and get back at it brother!

Nope, you are exactly right.......I was way overamped and too mental about this damn thing.. The funny thing is my specialty is deadlifting. I teach technique to a lot of stronger than me guys and I always warn against the same things you mentioned. One of the guys there said I looked I was doing a curl!

Mac
11-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I will go against the grain and say that the depleted state had little to do with your tear.

I would say it contributed to it and agree with the other things you are saying.

We didn't touch on supplements which can also further contribute to this type on injury.

He lifted it so fast it was like an Olympic lifter would do with speed.

Hammerfit
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
I would say it contributed to it and agree with the other things you are saying.

We didn't touch on supplements which can also further contribute to this type on injury.

He lifted it so fast it was like an Olympic lifter would do with speed.

No supps been 100% natty for awhile now

Mac
11-14-2012, 07:32 PM
No supps been 100% natty for awhile now

That's good to know. Not that I am prejudice.

Taking Cipro will do a number on your tendons.

Did you recently receive any cortizone shots?

Hammerfit
11-15-2012, 09:08 AM
That's good to know. Not that I am prejudice.

Taking Cipro will do a number on your tendons.

Did you recently receive any cortizone shots?

nope, dont like that chit

Mac
11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't either.

A friend of mine who powerlifted with me back in the 80s tore his quad muscle off his left leg and I remember him saying it was from cortizone shots.

So how is the arm doing?

Down4whatever
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Nope, you are exactly right.......I was way overamped and too mental about this damn thing.. The funny thing is my specialty is deadlifting. I teach technique to a lot of stronger than me guys and I always warn against the same things you mentioned. One of the guys there said I looked I was doing a curl!

Crazy how adrenaline can do that to you.

Either way, you have inspired me to do another Meet. The closest one I could find was Branson, Missouri 5/3/13 with the APA. I'll be going for my bucket list total of 500/400/600 probably in the 242's unfortunately--don't think I can keep weight under 220 much longer. Best to date is 450/360/575 in the 220's.

I'll definitely be looking at my DL form more closely as I've seen more bicep tears lately than I ever care to see.

Hammerfit
11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't either.

A friend of mine who powerlifted with me back in the 80s tore his quad muscle off his left leg and I remember him saying it was from cortizone shots.

So how is the arm doing?

The diagnosis is not a good one. MRI is tomorrow but Doc told me today that the tendon was pulled out of the bone. The good news is the muscle doesnt appear to be damaged. Bad news with a re-inserted tendon he doubts that my strength in that arm will ever be the same. I guess my power lifting career was a short one! Says I prob wont be able to lift with the arm for 9 months!

If I could put a positive spin on this: legs need to catch up to my upper body.....so leg training will be my focus for this up coming year, hmmm. maybe I could break the squat record haha at least I still have a sense of humor!

Mac
11-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Damn Mike, that sucks. So sorry to hear that.

When I was 19, a doctor told me I had Crohn's disease and would probably not live to be 30yrs. old! I guess he was wrong. So is your doctor.

mrky03
11-16-2012, 08:05 AM
That sux Mike, helps to have a sense of humor about it though. We do tend to be obsessive about this don't we? lol You will prevail though.