PDA

View Full Version : Nationals

Carnivore
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Is it just me, or did this division have a great turnout at nationals? Most of the guys were better conditioned than the bodybuilders. Looking at the pictures, it was hard to pick out the top guys--most looked incredible. Congrats to Ian in getting his pro card! Looks like MP is here to stay.

David Lees
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Biggest turnout yet from what I've heard/read.

Bugeater
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I agree. Huge classes, that should only get bigger. Was surprised though that the other major sites (MD, Flexonline) do not carry much coverage yet..even though there is a big turnout for MP. Hardcore BBing must still be their bread and butter.

Carnivore
11-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Agreed. Aside from RX, there really isn't a site that covers MP... It's kind of ironic, given that the class is growing by leaps and bounds. I think a lot of the boards/members/sites who are "hardcore" are unwilling to admit or recognize this because they view MP negatively. In the end, aren't we all bodybuilders? Seems to me like the IFBB made a smart move in having physique classes at the Olympia... obviously, people like it. The more people who get involved with bodybuilding, the better...

PMW_Fitness
11-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Im new to this site, but i can see alot of the winners are having great backs. With a good sets of rear delts and lats it makes an unstoppable v taper. Alot of judges it seems to me are placing off back as it isnt to hard to have great abs or a decent chest. Just my observation. And like the post above physique is blowing up. Cant wait to see these new pros battle it out next year.

David Lees
11-19-2012, 10:36 AM
There is a HUGE disdain/dislike by the so-called "hardcore bodybuilders" when it comes to Physique. I am a member of 6 bodybuilding/fitness related websites and the amount of bullsh*t and trash talk directed towards Physique that I encounter on a daily basis is ridiculous. There is a a number of unfair stereotypes that are associated with the division (i.e. we don't train legs, we don't train as hard, the division awards "mediocrity", we are "wannabe" bodybuilders etc etc etc). I consider myself first and foremost a BODYBUILDER and I have chosen to compete in PHYSIQUE which to me holds more opportunity and a much healthier and realistic pathway to achieving the goals I have set for myself. Some people will always be ignorant and say stupid sh*t but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else other than yourself and those important in your life think.

Carnivore
11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
There is a HUGE disdain/dislike by the so-called "hardcore bodybuilders" when it comes to Physique. I am a member of 6 bodybuilding/fitness related websites and the amount of bullsh*t and trash talk directed towards Physique that I encounter on a daily basis is ridiculous. There is a a number of unfair stereotypes that are associated with the division (i.e. we don't train legs, we don't train as hard, the division awards "mediocrity", we are "wannabe" bodybuilders etc etc etc). I consider myself first and foremost a BODYBUILDER and I have chosen to compete in PHYSIQUE which to me holds more opportunity and a much healthier and realistic pathway to achieving the goals I have set for myself. Some people will always be ignorant and say stupid sh*t but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what anyone else other than yourself and those important in your life think.

VERY well said. The hostility is a constant annoyance. I've even joined a female fitness board just to learn/contribute ideas without being judged.

The wannabe bodybuilder connotation is ridiculous... MP didn't exist until a few recent years ago. Back then, it was all called bodybuilding. Put a BB in shorts rather than in briefs, and he automatically becomes pathetic, gay, not hardcore, superficial, etc.

What I don't understand is why I get grief on the boards for doing MP. Hello, people, it's MY choice! How does it affect anyone else? How does it make me any less serious about my training? How does it indicate that legs aren't my favorite thing to train?

BB isn't going anywhere. Ill be a fan for life. MP is a realistic avenue for me to work towards my physique goals in a competitive environment.

Would I want to be 250+ lbs, shredded? Sure. Am I willing to pay the price (drugs, crazy amounts of food, professional and family sacrifices, etc)? No---I've got a lot more to live for. MP is perfect for people like me.

CDJack
11-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Great post by you and the guy above. It's totally a personal decision, based on health, lifestyle, genetics, and simply how you want to look. Maybe not everyone wants to be 250lbs on stage. There are definite negatives associated with that in daily life, even things as simple as finding clothes that look good or walking up a flight of stairs. And as you guys said, every MP competitor worth a damn trains just as hard as any bodybuilder and trains legs hard. Not like we all don't know bodybuilders who train less hard than they should and use drugs as a crutch.

And finally, calling MP gay is just laughable. Bodybuilding, to normal people, is weird, gay, etc. etc. MP guys are essentially smaller bodybuilders. The board shorts may not be great, i would like shorter ones, but it's the rules that we follow...

And on a final note...how about them pose downs? I'm sorry but those are the gayest thing i've ever seen if we're calling things gay. I am a big bodybuilding fan though, so I have much respect for everyone else and their goals. Different strokes for different folks. I really only see bodybuilders talking shit about MP, and generally not the other way around.

VERY well said. The hostility is a constant annoyance. I've even joined a female fitness board just to learn/contribute ideas without being judged.

The wannabe bodybuilder connotation is ridiculous... MP didn't exist until a few recent years ago. Back then, it was all called bodybuilding. Put a BB in shorts rather than in briefs, and he automatically becomes pathetic, gay, not hardcore, superficial, etc.

What I don't understand is why I get grief on the boards for doing MP. Hello, people, it's MY choice! How does it affect anyone else? How does it make me any less serious about my training? How does it indicate that legs aren't my favorite thing to train?

BB isn't going anywhere. Ill be a fan for life. MP is a realistic avenue for me to work towards my physique goals in a competitive environment.

Would I want to be 250+ lbs, shredded? Sure. Am I willing to pay the price (drugs, crazy amounts of food, professional and family sacrifices, etc)? No---I've got a lot more to live for. MP is perfect for people like me.

Carnivore
11-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Great post by you and the guy above. It's totally a personal decision, based on health, lifestyle, genetics, and simply how you want to look. Maybe not everyone wants to be 250lbs on stage. There are definite negatives associated with that in daily life, even things as simple as finding clothes that look good or walking up a flight of stairs. And as you guys said, every MP competitor worth a damn trains just as hard as any bodybuilder and trains legs hard. Not like we all don't know bodybuilders who train less hard than they should and use drugs as a crutch.

And finally, calling MP gay is just laughable. Bodybuilding, to normal people, is weird, gay, etc. etc. MP guys are essentially smaller bodybuilders. The board shorts may not be great, i would like shorter ones, but it's the rules that we follow...

And on a final note...how about them pose downs? I'm sorry but those are the gayest thing i've ever seen if we're calling things gay. I am a big bodybuilding fan though, so I have much respect for everyone else and their goals. Different strokes for different folks. I really only see bodybuilders talking shit about MP, and generally not the other way around.

Agreed! I, too, would like a change to shorter shorts like they have in the wbff/fitness model competitions.

I laughed aloud at your posedown comment! At my last show, my girlfriend didnt know what to make of the final posedown... She was like, "is this really happening?!"

But yes, it's all about personal choices. I like MP because I can compete in other sports. I'm not sure how easy that would be if I were much bigger.