PDA

View Full Version : Train through the pain

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Obviously, it is not the best thing to do... but sometimes, you just have to have it... so what have been some of the injuries (minor or major) that you decided not to let keep you down, and you trained anyway?

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Slight ham tear that I sustained in the kwoon last year. I lowered the weight a bit for a while, but I didn't stop training.

Worked around a bad shoulder for over a year after injuring a rotator cuff.

From time to time now I have trouble with my elbows when I start pushing for more. Sometimes I work through, sometimes I swap out exercises and other times I back off. Depends on how the pain feels that day.

I herniated a disk when one of my horses went ditzy on the long-line...had to work around that one for a long time. Ended up building a good strong core because of it though.

Have also had to cut back the weight when I've injured a knee(s) on the trail. Twisted my left knee badly, got through that and went down hard on a black diamond trail and did my right knee in a year or so later.

Oh yeah...and then this winter I had to take time off when I split my middle fingers middle knuckle on my right wide-open by squashing it between two 85's. When I returned I had to go easy with dumbbells for a bit since my skin was tender and I didn't want to rip it open again.

GirlyMuscle
02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Slight ham tear that I sustained in the kwoon last year. I lowered the weight a bit for a while, but I didn't stop training.

Worked around a bad shoulder for over a year after injuring a rotator cuff.

From time to time now I have trouble with my elbows when I start pushing for more. Sometimes I work through, sometimes I swap out exercises and other times I back off. Depends on how the pain feels that day.

I herniated a disk when one of my horses went ditzy on the long-line...had to work around that one for a long time. Ended up building a good strong core because of it though.

Have also had to cut back the weight when I've injured a knee(s) on the trail. Twisted my left knee badly, got through that and went down hard on a black diamond trail and did my right knee in a year or so later.

Oh yeah...and then this winter I had to take time off when I split my middle fingers middle knuckle on my right wide-open by squashing it between two 85's. When I returned I had to go easy with dumbbells for a bit since my skin was tender and I didn't want to rip it open again.You were the first person I thought of when I read the title of this thread.

I have low back alignment issues. Nothing constant chiropractic care can't keep under control. However, with no health insurance and not making much money I can't go as often as I should. So I do what I can. Figure out exercises around the pain. Somedays I can do rack deads. On other days I can barely bend over to tie my shoes. It's been a long time since I was pain free and able to do full deads and heavy squats.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
But through all of that, Shije, you kept going...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool11.gif

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 10:10 AM
You were the first person I thought of when I read the title of this thread.
Hehee...yeah, I'm always in or coming out of some sort of fix! :eek: My first thought when I read the title was, "well...I have fibromyalgia...I ALWAYS hurt somewhere!" LOL!

Did you by any chance ever have an MRI or scan/x-ray of any sort on your back when it first acted up to be sure you don't have a degenerative problem? Just curious. That was my worry for a long time when I first herniated my disk. It stuck with me a long time and sometimes I can feel it flare up. I get a warning swelling and heat and know to back off immediately, take some vitamin I and grab the ice pack.

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 10:14 AM
But through all of that, Shije, you kept going...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool11.gif
Yeah, I do. ;) I have learned that if I stop all activity completely I start to stiffen up and then begin to contemplate stopping altogether until the pain is 'gone'. But for me...it's never completely gone so I need to keep moving as best I can until the injury is recovered enough to work back up in my training.

The toughest two injuries to work around were the shoulder injury and the knees! You don't realize how much those little bitty areas stabilize you until they are compromised.

GirlyMuscle
02-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I've had x-rays. No MRIs. My low back issues started when I was pregnant over 20 years ago. It's mostly a hip alignment thing. My pelvic tilts forward too hard. Once aligned the pain completely subsides within a day or two. But all it takes is to move the wrong way and it tilts again. So it's back to the chiropractor every time. My low back muscles are strong. I do hypers holding a 45 pound plate and no pain. But let me bend over to tie a shoe and bam!

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I find it odd how we can hurt ourselves through everyday, normal movement, but never (or hardly ever) in the gym. You would think it would be the other way around.

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I've had x-rays. No MRIs. My low back issues started when I was pregnant over 20 years ago. It's mostly a hip alignment thing. My pelvic tilts forward too hard. Once aligned the pain completely subsides within a day or two. But all it takes is to move the wrong way and it tilts again. So it's back to the chiropractor every time. My low back muscles are strong. I do hypers holding a 45 pound plate and no pain. But let me bend over to tie a shoe and bam!
Pregnancy does a number on a woman's body. I know a lot of women that end up with hip trouble after their pregnancies. My daughter-of-my-heart has had chronic back pain since having the girls. I'm suspecting she has a disk that keeps acting up because she can feel a slight swelling and heat from time to time...and it is the littlest darn things that will kick it off and send her into pain.

I agree GX, it is often very simple things and movements that precede an injury. My sister-of-my-heart blew out her back years ago weeding her garden. Something small and simple that she had been doing for ages. She ended up spending half a summer recovering in bed from that simple task.

GirlyMuscle
02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Back in 2003 I had two herniated disks in my lower back. I was unable to walk more than 10 feet with out having to sit down from the excruciating pain. Luckily, I was doing nails at the time and I could sit without pain. I couldn't drive because I coukdn't walk from a parking lot to the door. It took a month of traction therapy with my chiro to be able to walk for more than that without pain. Eventually, things healed up and I was pretty much back to normal. Cool thing was that with the help of my chiro I was able to heal without surgery or drugs. I will admit to using a friends painkillers at the time That's when I found out how useless vicodin and percoset are to my back problems. I still had pain but didn't really care.

In all that time I never stopped training. I used a cane to walk around the gym and I only trained with light weights and only did what I could do....mostly arms, chest and delts. No cardio. after the first month I was able to do recumbant bike so I did that. I just didn't feel right if I wasn't at the gym doing something...anything!

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I hear you. I have managed to avoid surgery and after an initial trial with pain meds and finding they made me sick (And in some cases I was allergic.). I have managed to work through everything that comes my way without anything more than motrin or Aleve. I still train, but I keep it to what I can do. Light work is better than no work in my mind! LOL!

I used my mom's recumbent bike quite a bit at one point to keep 'moving'.

Ironically. I have never been to a chiropractor.

I should see a myofascial massage therapist and have trigger point release work done, but last I knew it was $75 a half hour. I taught three of my friends how to release/break the knots and use a foam roller and tennis ball for the areas I can reach myself.

Kelly Baker
02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Wrenched an elbow coming over the cargo net pre-Tampa, banned from training upper body except very light for 2 weeks, on 800 mg Motrin 3 x a day, I trained legs, and did cardio.

Sprained my @#$%ing back Christmas Eve scraping ice off our very long driveway for 3 hours. Banished myself to cardio jail for a week and a half, then started lifting again. Still watching it since it was a bad sprain and whining at me a bit.

Allifit
02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Injured rotator cuff during 2007....my prep for my amateur show. I trained through it for 4 weeks...and won the overall and qualified for nationals in that show. It was WELL worth it.

quadrablue
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Degenerative disc (L5). No training for 6 months. Could barely get out of bed, let alone do anything at the gym. Had to learn to squat all over again on the Swedish Ball. That was another 6mos of rehab. But no pain anymore;)

Now it's tendon issues in the arms. Can't stop training so I wear a neopreen (sp?) sleeve. It still hurts like hell but what else can I do? Ice it afterwards and start all over again tomorrow.

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Degenerative disc (L5). No training for 6 months. Could barely get out of bed, let alone do anything at the gym. Had to learn to squat all over again on the Swedish Ball. That was another 6mos of rehab. But no pain anymore;)

Now it's tendon issues in the arms. Can't stop training so I wear a neopreen (sp?) sleeve. It still hurts like hell but what else can I do? Ice it afterwards and start all over again tomorrow.
I take Cissus and Yucca for my elbows and knees. Yucca is a natural anti-inflammatory. I train in sleeves as well. I cannot ice the joints as they stiffen up fast due to my fibro.

Suzanne
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
bicep tendonitis at shoulder insertion

currently bicep tendonitis forearm/elbow
this is really a pain can't do even lite hammer curls, regular curls hurl
discovered recently if i only do upper part of movemetn avoid hurting elbow and forarm so that is waht i am doing for now

around Christmas somehow strained serratus/intercostal or rib became misaligned hurt like hell if i sneezed, laid down on stomach or back, did any rowing movements so as i was getting chiro help i just did pulling for back and no squats Once got tolerable brought light rowing back in Last week during rack pulls got a nice crack in back and think popped rib back in :D

For forearm tendinitis i ice, wear tennis elbow strap, elbow sleeve for really heavy delt or chest work, electronic stim home and at chiro, just began taking Cissus

IRONURSE
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I have been battling right elbow tendonitis ... Doing Alleve twice a day, ice before and after working out, and wearing a neoprene brace while working out. It is improving. I know I should take a week off from the gym but that's not going to happen!

chicken breast
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
If I waited until I didn't have any injuries or pain training, I would never make it to competition. Can't make a list my history of injuries - not enough time.