PDA

View Full Version : Palumbo contest diet for Natural's..who does it?

AVBG
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I believe the Keto/Palumbo diet is great for the natural bodybuilder.. for the reasons below.

1. Easy to follow
2. It works!
3. no guess work required.

New2thegame
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I do the Palumbo diet...it's great! I had an injury that got me up to 230 from 170lbs. Dave's diet got me down to 170 and actually to 160 right now. I'm still dieting and thinking of trying my first novice show.

AVBG
02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I do the Palumbo diet...it's great! I had an injury that got me up to 230 from 170lbs. Dave's diet got me down to 170 and actually to 160 right now. I'm still dieting and thinking of trying my first novice show.

that's good to hear, make sure you keep your fish oil in the diet, it helps with injuries bigtime.

why did you choose doing it?

beau
02-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Is there a link here yet on the contest diet and prep for naturals?

AVBG
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Is there a link here yet on the contest diet and prep for naturals?

check out Dave's q&a, there's no real difference/variation for naturals..that's the best part, it works for everyone.

mr.genetics
02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I was doing it for the first few weeks. I'll be honest with you. I flattened out big time and felt like shit all the time. I had to add carbs back into two meals. So in essence I do the same diet with 1/4 cup of oats (uncooked) 20 carbs in the morning and a cup of brown rice with the chicken and nut meal. Other than that, the diet is the same, and it's working awesome. I'm 8 weeks out right now and looking ahead of track.

AVBG
02-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I was doing it for the first few weeks. I'll be honest with you. I flattened out big time and felt like shit all the time. I had to add carbs back into two meals. So in essence I do the same diet with 1/4 cup of oats (uncooked) 20 carbs in the morning and a cup of brown rice with the chicken and nut meal. Other than that, the diet is the same, and it's working awesome. I'm 8 weeks out right now and looking ahead of track.

The diet will initially flatten you out as when your eating carbs thats where a lot of water is stored... I would have suggested increasing the fats.

The feeling shit part will only last until you get into ketosis (couple of days tops)..
Nevertheless, I'm glad your ahead of schedule, you should post some pics?

Wheels
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM

If you were feeling like shit for the first few weeks I suspect you were not in ketosis. The nature of being in ketosis stabilizes blood glucose levels sparing you the up and down spikes of insulin released from ingesting carbs. Were you including any carbs in the first few weeks of the diet, save for indirect sources from veggies and your reload day ?

FYI, your diet in its current state will prevent you from sliding over into ketosis. However, good to see you're ahead of the curve and if you're feeling better than props to you for experimenting !

mcjandcoolg
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Are there any other links to dave's diet. I am unable to locate the Q&A?

gman
02-09-2009, 09:46 PM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=5

Try this, it's not the original thread

New2thegame
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
that's good to hear, make sure you keep your fish oil in the diet, it helps with injuries bigtime.

why did you choose doing it?

Yeah, the fish oil is great. I chose to do the diet because I came from wrestling and that mentality was balls to the wall on everything. The problem with that and cardio was that because of wrestling I don't have a meniscus in my knee. So, for cardio I had to figure out how to do cardio and diet. I came across Dave's diet and the rest is history.

aaronthegreat34
02-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I am going on the diet for my upcomming show in 18 weeks. As a natural teen who is 187 14% bodyfat. How far out should I start the diet?

brewsterfitness
02-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Started Dave's diet with the help of PJ Braun in March of 2008 @252lbs. Finished in late July @ 204lbs. and at my best in years! Simple, effective and as Dave said at a seminar that I attended, "The path of least resistance"

Steve56
02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
I am going on the diet for my upcomming show in 18 weeks. As a natural teen who is 187 14% bodyfat. How far out should I start the diet?

i would say 18-20 weeks...give yourself time and room for error

ironmudd
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I tried it and couldn't do it. I feel great on the diet when I'm not training but trying to lift and do the diet totally wiped me out and I felt like shit. It's probably due to the volume of training that I do but I can't do the ketosis and train at the same time.

JaimeSandovalJr
02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
What are some cites for local shows in CA?

fitQuest
02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm a lifelong NATURAL guy and on the Palumbo Diet now for 3 weeks this Friday.

I have no plans to compete, but I just want to be in the BEST, most ripped shape of my life. Currently at 195 lb, and estimating to end up at around 160 lb ripped at 7% bodyfat.

I am 5ft 8" and have very small joints and a slim bone structure, so I look huge when I'm leaned out!

jrod
02-10-2009, 04:16 PM
What are some cites for local shows in CA?

Here's the entire list of NPC shows. There are a few near you--in Anaheim, CA.

http://npcnewsonline.com/new/PDFfiles/122308NPC_ContestListing.pdf

AVBG
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Good to see you here Jeff.:)

Asmolenski
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I think the reason Dave's Keto diet works is because you don't get teased by the carbs. For me once I start eating carbs its like Heroin - I just want more and more until I totally pig out. By eliminating the carbs (and resulting insulin and glucose swings) your appetite is kept low so you can stick to the diet. Those who are not so "insulin sensitive" can get away with adding complex carbs.

Leigh Carmichael
02-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I do a variation of Dave's diet. Used it for my last two shows and won them both. My first wins as a competitive natty bodybuilder.

Works for me.

You need to give it time and play around with the macros until you find what works best for you. Keep the carbs very low and try different combinations of protein and fats.

In time I believe that this form of dieting can be suited to everyone.

beau
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
check out Dave's q&a, there's no real difference/variation for naturals..that's the best part, it works for everyone.

thx man

RudeMuscle
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Im thinkin about hiring dave for my 1st show evan c keeps tellin me i should give dave a call i like daves diet im not a fan of carbs so much

Spy vs Spy
02-10-2009, 11:19 PM
New here. I am deciding on competing in 13 weeks and another 16 weeks, been dieting 1 week. Was wondering about Dave's diet and how it works for contest prep. WOM people say it doesn't work well for lighter guys. Any suggestions?

eattrainsleep
02-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Been doing the diet for 11 days and so far so good.. It's weird I am not even looking forward to the cheat all that much, cravings are nonexistent on this diet. I also finally found some mac nut oil today for the first time here in phoenix and it was pretty cheap.

GrayBull
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I tried it last year for 5 weeks. Was a very easy diet and no cravings. The cheat meals are also a treat and keep you looking forward to a feast while still losing.

I found that the fats had a lot to do with hunger. If you find yourself feeling like you're STARVING then up the fats just a smidge until you find a number that allows you to function a little smoother throughout the day. Or at least that's what worked for me. Didn't take very much.

matt1005
02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I like it. I used it to an overall win and a natural Pro Card. I actually kept my strength way up and did not flatten. Also, Daves last week or so until the competition is great. He knows what he is doing even for the natural.

joshdickinson
02-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I do a variation of Dave's diet. Used it for my last two shows and won them both. My first wins as a competitive natty bodybuilder.

Works for me.

You need to give it time and play around with the macros until you find what works best for you. Keep the carbs very low and try different combinations of protein and fats.

In time I believe that this form of dieting can be suited to everyone.

it wasn't a variation leigh it was something totally different - though there are similarities

hi everyone (waves)

bigdaddyd
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I used Dave's diet and lost a lot of fat. Unfortunately, I still have even more to lose. I found at the end of the night I was completely spent and struggled through some of my workouts. I just started again two days ago and the only change I made was adding in one serving of oats in the morning with my egg whites. We will see.

Admiral Johnson
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Do you guys recommend this more for contest prep than year round? because I find its hard for me to gain much size with no carbs.

AVBG
02-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Do you guys recommend this more for contest prep than year round? because I find its hard for me to gain much size with no carbs.

in its intended form its not a offseason diet per se.. although there is a variation.

OFFSEASON MASS DIET(200lb+ male)

**Sandwich the pre and post-workout shake around your workout (wherever that may fall)

***you can have unlimited vegetables with your meals

MEAL 1:
6 whole eggs (buy the OMEGA-3 EGGS they sell in the supermarket) with 1 cup of Oatmeal (cooked)

MEAL 2: (pre-workout)
SHAKE: 55g Whey Protein** with 40g Waxy Maize*** (high molecular weight carbohydrate) with 1 tablespoon of Macadamia Nut Oil

GYM: WEIGHT TRAINING

MEAL 3: (post-workout)
SHAKE: 55g Whey Protein** with 50g Waxy Maize*** (high molecular weight carbohydrate).

MEAL 4:
“LEAN PROTEIN MEAL” 8oz (cooked) of chicken (or turkey or lean fish or shrimp)-- with ˝ cup cashew nuts (or almonds or walnuts) with 1 cup (cooked) RICE (brown)

MEAL 5:
“FATTY PROTEIN MEAL” 8oz (cooked) of red meat (or salmon or swordfish) with a salad with 2 tablespoon of olive oil (or macadamia nut oil) and vinegar with 1 baked potato and/or yam

MEAL 6: Repeat One of Above

MEAL 7: 5 whole eggs

+++++ All meals are interchangeable. You can substitute one for another.

*** Cook your eggs in MACADAMIA NUT OIL and add a tablespoon to all your chicken fish, meats--

***ONCE or TWICE A WEEK, HAVE A CHEAT MEAL (make it the last meal of the day)

gogeta5
02-12-2009, 02:59 AM
I was hospitalized after an accident for 6 months & it took me another 6 to start moving like a human being again & after i gained a lot of weight,i decided to give dave's diet a try to get in shape,since i decided i'd be drug free from that moment on & it did worked for me as a way to get in shape,but i don't think the human body can go on without carbs especially if you're drug free,but what i did found out is that if you include in the off season healthy fats & back off the carbs a little bit,since fats contain double the calories protein & carbs do,you'll have wonderful results,so dave 's diet if modified a bit can do well for gaining mass,just don't overdo it with the carbs and get healthy fats from several sources like nuts,oils,fish,peanut butter...it did wonders for me & right now i 'm sticking with it

Admiral Johnson
02-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks guys that helps a lot!

matt1005
02-12-2009, 11:47 AM

I would say contest dieting, but still keep moderate fat when doing mass phase

JaimeSandovalJr
02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks Jeff, I am thinking of competing in one.

mattio
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I am on my 4th day of this diet. Yesterday was pretty tough, I was craving carbs real bad. This isn't the first time I've done low carb. Several years back I did, but I wasn't working out as much. I do remember that it worked out really well for me.
I've spent the last year bulking all the way up to 244lbs. I am 230 right now. I am hoping this diet will land me in the 205-210 range.
One thing I have done is switched the salad and the nuts around. It is easier to eat the salad with the lean protein. The nuts make that meal too dry to swallow.
I'll keep you guys posted.

gman
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I am 3.5 weeks in, and I don't even care if I eat now. That's how well it has taken my appetite away. Keep plugging, it gets easier!

Koubs
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I did the Palumbo diet when getting ready for my last show... I will say this: It was really easy to follow, I felt great (my overall mood, energy), and I maintained most of my strength...

When I decided "I should alternate some protein/veggie only days to really get ripped", that's where things went downhill... Stength rapidly declined, looked flat, felt like shit..... I looked my BEST about 4 days out from the show after I added back in p/f days for 3 straight days... When I added carbs and cut water tho according to Dave's strategy, I just simply didn't look my best...

I learned a lot, and I would strongly consider hiring Dave for my next contest prep

Frosty
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I did the Palumbo diet when getting ready for my last show... I will say this: It was really easy to follow, I felt great (my overall mood, energy), and I maintained most of my strength...

When I decided "I should alternate some protein/veggie only days to really get ripped", that's where things went downhill... Stength rapidly declined, looked flat, felt like shit..... I looked my BEST about 4 days out from the show after I added back in p/f days for 3 straight days... When I added carbs and cut water tho according to Dave's strategy, I just simply didn't look my best...

I learned a lot, and I would strongly consider hiring Dave for my next contest prep

Same here. If you allow for more time and don't go the pro/veg route, it's much easier. I got some wicked cravings when doing pro/veg!!

mattio
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Bad news. I just got done with a heavy leg workout. Guess what? I am eating a bowl of oatmeal. When I got done with my last set of squats I got really sick and dizzy. I will stick to the meals for the rest of the day but if I don't get some carbs now there is no way I will make it to work.

Frosty
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Bad news. I just got done with a heavy leg workout. Guess what? I am eating a bowl of oatmeal. When I got done with my last set of squats I got really sick and dizzy. I will stick to the meals for the rest of the day but if I don't get some carbs now there is no way I will make it to work.

How many reps did you do? How many sets?

Wheels
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Same here. If you allow for more time and don't go the pro/veg route, it's much easier. I got some wicked cravings when doing pro/veg!!

I'm no expert but I would think if you're delving deep into the pro/veg part of the diet that is where those who juice would have a much easier time of coping. Fat is paramount in maintaining proper hormone levels conducive to building and maintaining muscle and without the fat it's going to be quite the battle to hang on to the muscle you have without the aid of AAS.

Just an observation.

Frosty
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm no expert but I would think if you're delving deep into the pro/veg part of the diet that is where those who juice would have a much easier time of coping. Fat is paramount in maintaining proper hormone levels conducive to building and maintaining muscle and without the fat it's going to be quite the battle to hang on to the muscle you have without the aid of AAS.

Just an observation.

Could be true. I know if I ever went pro/veg for any length of time again, I'd definitely be using some things to help curb cravings and suppress appetite, like DL-pehnylalanine and 5-HTP and some other stuff.

Koubs
02-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Just an observation.

I would tend to agree with this... Dave seems to think from his experience of prepping guys that there's no difference in the ways natties and non-natties should diet for a show.... Those protein/veggie days just killed me tho, and i only implemented them at 4 weeks out... 2 days PV and one day PF... I was shredded no doubt, but lost some muscle for sure...

AVBG
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I would tend to agree with this... Dave seems to think from his experience of prepping guys that there's no difference in the ways natties and non-natties should diet for a show.... Those protein/veggie days just killed me tho, and i only implemented them at 4 weeks out... 2 days PV and one day PF... I was shredded no doubt, but lost some muscle for sure...

PV days are ideally used to kick it up a gear if you're behind the pace.

Kiyoshi Moody
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I will be using this diet for the possilbly the USA's and the Team Universe coming up

Asmolenski
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I will be using this diet for the possilbly the USA's and the Team Universe coming up

Are you using Dave for your conditioning coach? I'd be interested in what supplements you think have been most helpful for you getting ready for TU. Thanks

AVBG
02-19-2009, 06:52 PM

would you like to have your own thread here? We'd all really appreciate it.

LittleBIG
02-24-2009, 03:39 AM
I don't know how you guys can take it - 0 carbs ... I did low carbs some time ago and I felt like !@#$! Maybe I must give it a try ...

Skeptic
02-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I don't know how you guys can take it - 0 carbs ... I did low carbs some time ago and I felt like !@#$! Maybe I must give it a try ...

Well there is low carb and then there's LOW carb. ;-)

Just started yesterday.

gman
02-24-2009, 09:21 AM

That's the key, you did LOW carbs, we are doing NO carbs.

I think if you just go low, you feel like crap. You have to go real low, close to no carbs to truly feel good.

debbiebramwell
02-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Hey , I am on daves diet...6 weeks in(I dont use supplements in the beginning)in the beginning I was dizzy the first week...if I didnt know thats how I was supposed to of felt I would of ate too! you have to give it time..then you will better then you ever felt on a diet....try it again but be patient....:D

Frosty
02-24-2009, 10:39 AM
To make the same point and to be pretty redundant, patience is key as well as actually following the diet properly. A scale and a nutritional database is key ( http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ ).

Very low carb diets are for a reasonably lean person their bodyweight in lbs * 0.25, which is 40g or less for a 200 lb guy.

Also, the 2 week intro phase with plenty of fat is critical. Any of the very smart guys that recommend a similar type of diet use this intro phase. Palumbo, Poliquin, and Di Pasquali all do. If people don't measure things properly then they may not get enough fat and not adapt properly, especially people that haven't done low carb before and are afraid of eating that much fat. Immediately going too low fat with very low carbs and high protein is usually a disaster.

If done properly, adaptation increases after a month on the diet, and it gets easier, and again IF DONE RIGHT. Some people actually are carb types, but they are definitely in the minority. A lot of people convince themselves they need more carbs than they really do. Fat guys that can never get lean and are saying they need their carbs always confuse me....

Skeptic
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
That's the key, you did LOW carbs, we are doing NO carbs.

I think if you just go low, you feel like crap. You have to go real low, close to no carbs to truly feel good.

That touches on my low carb vs. LOW carb remark. Particularly in the first two weeks, reducing the carbs as much as is possible is the goal. Obviously a ZERO carb diet is impossible. I'm sure air pollution has carbs. ;-)

Kiyoshi Moody
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Are you using Dave for your conditioning coach? I'd be interested in what supplements you think have been most helpful for you getting ready for TU. Thanks

Yes I will be hiring Dave as we get closer to the time I start dieting for the USA's.

Supplement wise I can tell you not because I'm sponsored by them but Isolyze protein has helped out alot. Since I'm lactose intolerant. This protein works best for me and the taste is not bad at all especially when I mix it with organic peanut butter man ur talking about a reeces peanut butter cup. Damn it's good!!!!

Asmolenski
02-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes I will be hiring Dave as we get closer to the time I start dieting for the USA's.

Supplement wise I can tell you not because I'm sponsored by them but Isolyze protein has helped out alot. Since I'm lactose intolerant. This protein works best for me and the taste is not bad at all especially when I mix it with organic peanut butter man ur talking about a reeces peanut butter cup. Damn it's good!!!!

Sounds good - I need to try that!

ironman70
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
ive been on Dave's diet since the first of the year. Absolutely love it. I've lost about 15 lbs and have gotten stronger each week. It also cleared up my IBS. Can't wait to see what my body fat is down to. Don't have calipers yet. It's pretty funny when everyone at work alreay knows my whole meal routine for the night as soon as I walk in the door.

meatheadio
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I love the diet. I feel it is much more predictable/consistent than dieting with carbs. It is particularly good for endomorphic types who are very carb sensitive. In addition to this it is very easy to follow and once you are in strong ketosis (allow one week before having 1st cheat meal) your energy levels are great, without the fluctuations that come with carbohydrates/insulin. And best of cravings are kept to a minimum!

matt1005
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I am dieting a high school student in for a show and right now he is in ketosis. I will let you all know how he responds to it. So far he is showing improvement every week.

TrouserSnake
03-04-2009, 08:35 PM
I didnt realize how Out of shape I got until I started this diet again for my 2nd year in a row.. But Im 3 weeks in friday.. No cardio yet and Ive lost 9 pounds.

mikeheeney
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm one week into daves diet. First few days were a bit of a struggle looking at all the carbs haha, but now i get excited about the peanut butter! Not dieting for a show, just looking to lose some weight then start a clean bulk.

fitiron
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I believe the Keto/Palumbo diet is great for the natural bodybuilder.. for the reasons below.

1. Easy to follow
2. It works!
3. no guess work required.

The following is an example for a 200+ male for contest prep, correct!?

For a 200lb+ Man

MEAL #1
5 whole Omega-3 Eggs (with 4 additional whites)

MEAL #2
SHAKE: 54g Whey Protein Isolate*** with 1.5 Tablespoon of All Natural PB

MEAL #3
“Lean Protein Meal” 7oz (cooked) chicken (or Turkey, or Tuna, or tilapia, flounder, or cod) with 1/3-cup RAW almonds, cashews or walnuts

MEAL #4
SHAKE: 54g Whey Protein Isolate with 1 ˝ tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
“Fatty Protein Meal” 7oz (cooked) Salmon, Swordfish, or 8oz RED MEAT (filet mignon, or top round cut) with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
SHAKE: 54g Whey with 1 ˝ tablespoon all natural peanut butter OR 4 whole Omega-3 eggs

*****MEAL ORDER IS UNIMPORTANT. ALL MEALS ARE EQUAL.

***ONCE A WEEK, HAVE A CHEAT MEAL (instead of MEAL #6) – try to make it the last meal of the day (start after 2 weeks on the diet)

My question is, what would this look like for someone who is around 170lb's?

Thanks in advance..

gman
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
I believe you just try it and then adjust down some if it doesn't work. Maybe cut an oz of meat out of each meat meal, cut the whey down to 45g instead of 55, etc.

Again, I am 200+ and that is not the diet he put me on. I think he looks at your pictures and adjusts a little bit from the start.

TheSpirit
03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Some thing tells me that the increase in fat is probably the cause of more success as most bodybuilders run away from good fats.Anyone try keeping the fat grams the same during the offseason and adding carbs for more calories.

Delphene
03-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I found the best way to "get into" the great aspects of the competition keto diet is to "pre-diet" around 20 weeks out....sort of like and 'atkins' approach. I lose a fair bit and is easier to get into ketosis and then I switch it up around the 15 weeks out mark and am on a complete competition keto diet. Nicer way to transition and enter that "metabolic shift" Dr. Di speaks of.

Nelford
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I did the Keto Diet and let me tell you it works. My only problem was that the weight came off way too fast and I only did cardio for 3-4 days at 30 minutes and around 120bpm. Two weeks and I was 13lbs down and depress. My abs was coming in but I know I lost some muscle. I'm currently back up to 190 @ 5 '10'. When I started the diet I was 197lbs and next thing you know I was 184lbs. I followed the basic diet Dave posted but did less cardio.

Koubs
03-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Some thing tells me that the increase in fat is probably the cause of more success as most bodybuilders run away from good fats.Anyone try keeping the fat grams the same during the offseason and adding carbs for more calories.

I've been having a successful off-season thus far with this approach... I did the keto diet for a show in nov., and off-season I've upped my meals to 7, kept fat high, and my carbs are around 220-250... I do 3 cardio sessions per week, and I've stayed pretty lean while definitely adding some size... This is the first off-season I've really EMPHASIZED fat intake, and then kept carbs a little more moderate... Working great for me

Ironman19871
03-11-2009, 06:34 PM
How much do you guys tapper your calories throughout your Keto prep? Say, over a course of a 16-20 week prep.

AVBG
03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
How much do you guys tapper your calories throughout your Keto prep? Say, over a course of a 16-20 week prep.

I don't count the caloric intake but as the competition gets closer (I get into contest shape early - 3 weeks out) between 6-10 weeks out I increase portions marginally and include a meal usually 5 eggs at around 2am. At this stage my metabolism is comparable to a humming bird and the body's demand for food is higher.

It's funny because during the off season I am eating comparably 30% less, yet able to put on weight (I hover around 20lbs heavier in the offseason).

hope this helps.

moosemeister
03-12-2009, 03:07 AM
I have done the Keto diet for my first 2 shows - it is without question the easiest way to get the BF right down....and convenient too. Yes, the first week always feels brutal and i get tired but after that my energy levels seem awesome. I always feel like I have a hangover after my refeed night.....really dehydrated and groggy - why is that.........?

jo1
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
no natural even use clenbuterol or ephedrine right, i juz wana know would u lose any muscle while on this keto diet, i really dont wana lose any muscle, juz retain it and lose all the fat, did every one of you kept all ur muscle??

without the use of any substances??

ironman70
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
I have been on Dave's diet for 11.5 weeks. Lost around 15 lbs. The main reason I started it was because I have found that carbs trigger my IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome). Now that carbs have been eliminated I don't feel controlled by my IBS. My symptoms have all but vanished. I love it!

Zetawill
03-18-2009, 02:18 AM

You probably didn't eat enough fats. EPO will make a huge difference for you!

Zetawill
03-18-2009, 02:19 AM
I have done the Keto diet for my first 2 shows - it is without question the easiest way to get the BF right down....and convenient too. Yes, the first week always feels brutal and i get tired but after that my energy levels seem awesome. I always feel like I have a hangover after my refeed night.....really dehydrated and groggy - why is that.........?

I wish I knew.....but I have the same feeling.....2 hour naps and a parched mouth....sucks.

tkatmommie
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have advice on the Keto Diet for the week of the show? I am a Natural, and would like a little help on whether to stay strict to the diet plan or change things up. I am trying to find it in other threads...any info would help!!

thepump
03-20-2009, 10:10 PM

dave knows his shit for getting huge off season or keeping your muscle while cutting for a show.:bowdown:

tkatmommie
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
dave knows his shit for getting huge off season or keeping your muscle while cutting for a show.:bowdown:

Any link to that particular thread? I have done a few searches with no luck. I m looking for the week of show diet info for the Palumbo diet!:eek:

MusclesMarinara
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
If you worked with Dave he makes adjustments along the way as you approach your show to keep the progress going. Everyone is different and adjustments need to be made but thats what you pay for lol. Try looking through Daves Q&A you might find what your lookin for.

Gondy
04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
IM doing PAlumbo diet for 3 weeks, on the first carb load(cheat meal) i felt like i eat the wrong things, no whit mi second cheat meal i only eat otameal( but a lot) and i wake up in the other day whit the same weight, and i always feel great, except for the first week

I wanna go down my BF to 4% , im now whit 14% im a 208 pounds and i start whit 212 pounds.

Im gonna post results after 8 weeks.

Try it, it works!!!

MusclesMarinara
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
IM doing PAlumbo diet for 3 weeks, on the first carb load(cheat meal) i felt like i eat the wrong things, no whit mi second cheat meal i only eat otameal( but a lot) and i wake up in the other day whit the same weight, and i always feel great, except for the first week

I wanna go down my BF to 4% , im now whit 14% im a 208 pounds and i start whit 212 pounds.

Im gonna post results after 8 weeks.

Try it, it works!!!

the cheat meal is suppose to quench your cravings and be high carbs med protein low fat i believe, and dont overeat

Gondy
04-05-2009, 04:59 PM
the cheat meal is suppose to quench your cravings and be high carbs med protein low fat i believe, and dont overeat
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Mi cravings its to eat and get very full, if you eat macdonalds or pizza you overeat, whit oatmeal its dificult.

try this its sweet and great taste, and you can eat 5 like this.

Palumbo Says, DOnt pass the 500 grams of carbs.

One of this only have 50 grams.

Gondy
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Mi cravings its to eat and get very full, if you eat macdonalds or pizza you overeat, whit oatmeal its dificult.

try this its sweet and great taste, and you can eat 5 like this.

Palumbo Says, DOnt pass the 500 grams of carbs.

One of this only have 50 grams.

captaincardio58
04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Any link to that particular thread? I have done a few searches with no luck. I m looking for the week of show diet info for the Palumbo diet!:eek:

Ive used daves services for prep, his last weeks prep was in MD once so i dont feel so bad letting it out, you stay on protein veggies for mon and tues, go back to normal pro/fat day on wends, thurs you add 30 grams of carbs to each meal with fats then fri is 35 grams to each meal, stop drinking at 10pm fri night, take 1 MHP diuretic with each meal, morning of the show 4 omega eggs with 30 grams carbs, then its 1 rice cake with tbsp pb every 30 min till prejudging...there might have been another meal after the eggs but thats what i remember with out copying and pasting his entire email on here hope this helps, in the future just hire dave u wont regret it

AB
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
2nd time on the diet lost about 20lbs first time was still playing around with things. This time I have lost 20lbs in 9 weeks. My strength is slowly increasing and the cheat meals are becoming harder to look forward to. I am going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe soon, it's fucking sweet!!
Is there a forum for cheat meal favs or ideas? If not what are yours?

tenreps
04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I am thinking about starting the PALUMBO diet.COULD anyone tell me if you lose mucsle,i am an older bodybuilder and never tried anything like that.I would like to compete in my age group,is it for 12 weeks or longer?======LIFT HEAVY.

BLUEBARON75
04-19-2009, 12:11 AM
i'm on the keto mass diet right now.. it puts on lean muscle quick! its a great diet for a natural beginner such as myself.. i'm pretty stoked about my next show in october and to see how the pre contest keto diet works for me.

BLUEBARON75
04-19-2009, 12:13 AM
you dont lose muscle. it keeps you lean enough to stay in striking distance for a competition and still put on some beef. i like it

Tim Martin
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I switched over to the keto diet about 4-5 weeks out from last year's Team Universe and came in at my biggest and hardest. This year I'll be doing the keto approach the entire diet, actually started about two weeks ago and going through September.

The biggest hurdle for me was the psychological addiction to carbs. It was tough to believe that I wouldn't flatten out after years of reading that carbs are what make you full and give you energy. Once I got over that the diet proved to be easy and effective, with no loss of energy or strength.

I don't follow Dave's program verbatim, but rather eat 7-8 meals per day while adjusting to portions slightly.

Gondy
04-30-2009, 05:46 AM
I switched over to the keto diet about 4-5 weeks out from last year's Team Universe and came in at my biggest and hardest. This year I'll be doing the keto approach the entire diet, actually started about two weeks ago and going through September.

The biggest hurdle for me was the psychological addiction to carbs. It was tough to believe that I wouldn't flatten out after years of reading that carbs are what make you full and give you energy. Once I got over that the diet proved to be easy and effective, with no loss of energy or strength.

I don't follow Dave's program verbatim, but rather eat 7-8 meals per day while adjusting to portions slightly.

You dont follow Dave´s program verbatim....

How do you calculate your macros, in pro and fat???

Tim Martin
04-30-2009, 06:55 AM
You dont follow Dave´s program verbatim....

How do you calculate your macros, in pro and fat???

I use the same basic equation, just divide into more meals.

Gondy
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I use the same basic equation, just divide into more meals.

1gr protein x bodyweight
0,5gr fat xbodyweight

???

Jaredmus
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Im on it now. Ive been doing it for 3 weeks. The first 3 days was rough, i do my own version of it, i do it for 3 days then one day i add around 100 carbs, then i do it for 4 days than add like 125 carbs, thats what ive been doing. Im 3.5 weeks out and today i added carbs but after today im going 3 days of it then on the 4th and 5th day adding oatmeal in the morning and then back to it, its seems to work well, only my first show and prep all by myself idk its good

KBigz81
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I switched to Dave's diet that last 8 weeks of my prep. I came in 6lbs heavier and much leaner than my last show which was Nov 22nd. I wish I wouldv'e know about this diet from the beginning of my prep, cuz I know I would've come in shredded and much harder. The protein/veg days aren't much fun, but its what has to be done to get the fat off. I'm hypoglycemic and this diet kept my blood sugar levels steady. Before even a 1/2 c of oats was causing my blood sugar to spike then I would crash. I did hire dave for the final week since I had to follow a fat load and had no idea how to do that. I'm just glad a found a diet that I can follow very easily, that works, and that I was able to maintain my energy except for that last 2 weeks when my b/f levels were dropping.

raging pitbull
05-07-2009, 08:56 PM
the diet is ausome and on my 5th day on it, believe it or not my strength is through the roof! and im looking ausome, but goin high rep is out of the equation.

Joe Christiano
05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I have been working with Dave for a July show I am doing and I am VERY pleased with the results I see. I would highly recomend people not only research his diet but also hire him for consulting during the pre contest prep

jked
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks to all those who have competed using the Keto diet and shared their experiences. I used Keto in the past to take off over 50 lbs. I ended up coming off Keto because I have aspirations of competing and bought into the hype about it not being good for natty's.

I know from experience I perform and feel well with low carbs in a dieting situation and low/mod carbs even in a caloric surplus. I think I'm going to be re-vamping my nutritional approach yet again.

nutratroy
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I have been working with Dave for a July show I am doing and I am VERY pleased with the results I see. I would highly recomend people not only research his diet but also hire him for consulting during the pre contest prep

Joe, hows prep going bro?

Joe Christiano
05-11-2009, 03:13 PM
HEY TROY!
everything is going perfect. I Love the species stuff and the ALR stuff I'm on also. the Keto diet has really clicked with me and i have no cravings at all. Wish I woulda done this 10 years ago!!!!!!
LOL

AWESOME WORKOUT VIDEO WITH YOU AND KRISSY!!!

TheSpirit
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
HEY TROY!
everything is going perfect. I Love the species stuff and the ALR stuff I'm on also. the Keto diet has really clicked with me and i have no cravings at all. Wish I woulda done this 10 years ago!!!!!!
LOL

AWESOME WORKOUT VIDEO WITH YOU AND KRISSY!!!
Did you take jungle warfare?

ruffiny89
05-22-2009, 02:11 PM
1gr protein x bodyweight
0,5gr fat xbodyweight

???

is that wright on the protien

godstrength
05-27-2009, 05:38 PM
What does peak week look like for someone on the Palumbo diet?

Are they carb loading at all?

How much?

How soon?

I've looked for info on carb loading for the keto dieter but cannot find any.

fatbackgoal
05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Just curious if you have to be at a certain bodyweight as a natural to get the positive effects of the diet? I mean would someone who was in the mid 20's bodyfat around 300 lbs be able to see positive gains?

jonnymontag
05-31-2009, 04:57 PM
what is the diet? someone pm me a link or article please

GatorPump
06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=5

Try this, it's not the original thread

Yummy eggs :)

Frosty
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Just curious if you have to be at a certain bodyweight as a natural to get the positive effects of the diet? I mean would someone who was in the mid 20's bodyfat around 300 lbs be able to see positive gains?

They should see great benefit.

Gondy
06-03-2009, 03:13 AM
is that wright on the protien

sorry , protein its 1,5 gr per body pound

8 weeks 19 pounds
45min cardio 5times a week
one muscle per day

Gondy
06-03-2009, 03:16 AM
I switched to Dave's diet that last 8 weeks of my prep. I came in 6lbs heavier and much leaner than my last show which was Nov 22nd. I wish I wouldv'e know about this diet from the beginning of my prep, cuz I know I would've come in shredded and much harder. The protein/veg days aren't much fun, but its what has to be done to get the fat off. I'm hypoglycemic and this diet kept my blood sugar levels steady. Before even a 1/2 c of oats was causing my blood sugar to spike then I would crash. I did hire dave for the final week since I had to follow a fat load and had no idea how to do that. I'm just glad a found a diet that I can follow very easily, that works, and that I was able to maintain my energy except for that last 2 weeks when my b/f levels were dropping.

I already lose a good percentage of body fat, but im seeing just a litlle bit of my abs, if i do the pro/vegie days and on this days i make 1h of cardio can i lose this extra fat on the belly and get really schred??? im maybe whit 10% BF, i have veins on my legs, shoulders and arms, but i can t rid of my extra fat in the belly :///

godstrength
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Does anyone have an idea what the carb/fat load looks like with Dave's diet on prep week?

Gondy
06-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the carb/fat load looks like with Dave's diet on prep week?

hope it helps, i already lose a bit of body fat, but now, im doing PRO/veggies for 5 days and on the 6 FAT LOAD

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/dietary_fat_loading2.htm

fatbackgoal
06-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Does anyone have any ideas how you can do the dave diet on a budget? Money is tight for me and the mrs but I really want to give this a run. Also I am 310 so would I just follow the diet listed for someone who is 250?

MashkaNY
06-21-2009, 02:28 PM
im doing it 2nd time right now

last time, i did too many PV days... i dont think i had to do that, and did too much cardio, gonna do more PF days till i stop losing 2lbs a week

this time im putting A LOT of salt on all my protein, so i dont even have the problem of living in the bathroom anymore like i did last time i did this diet.

best part i like is that its SO SIMPLE!!!

there's nothing to prep, cook your chicken, seperate it out so its always ready, seperate your nuts or have a measure spoon ready for your nut butter, and you're good to go

last thing you want to think about is what you're gonna eat that day

another thing on this diet, i dont know if its like that for ppl that juice or not, but for me, if i do under 6 hrs sleep a night, there's no caffeine in the world that could save me that day :(

Koa
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys and girls could someone attach Dave's Keto diet up please. I've just heard about it and very interested.

Thanks Koa

the_gift
07-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Well.. some people think they are flattening out.. but really you just don't know exactly how much muscle you have under your fat.. so you feel smaller than usual, but its not the muscle your losing..

Then with the palumbo diet.. once a week I would fully deplete my muscles with a high volume full body type workout.. then just eat a ton of carbs and crap.. and the next day I would be full and hard.. and I would also (after I leaned out nicely) eat most my carbs (like lots the night before and night of after training) weaker bodyparts.. So I would continiouslly get more balanced as my weaker bodyparts were filling up and my strong body parts were 'flattening'.

the_gift
07-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how you can do the dave diet on a budget? Money is tight for me and the mrs but I really want to give this a run. Also I am 310 so would I just follow the diet listed for someone who is 250?

Buy tillapia frozen ones from like walmart.. Tuna's cheap.. you can buy clearance red meat at grocery stores and just freeze it..

You can find cheap protein anywhere.. clearance section at GNC, walmart etc..

Buy large Peanut butter, and some olive oil..

ypmm5
07-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Koa go to the celebrety Q & A and you'll see Dave's diet.

v1hyp
07-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm taking in about a 100 (+/-) of carbs 6 days a week with one day refeed and have done quite well. started in May and have dropped about 5lbs a month since. Had to make some adjustment along the way but overall working nicely.

TrouserSnake
10-13-2012, 01:54 AM
TTT starting It up for the 5th year In a row

broadys
12-31-2012, 11:21 PM
I think the reason Dave's Keto diet works is because you don't get teased by the carbs. For me once I start eating carbs its like Heroin - I just want more and more until I totally pig out. By eliminating the carbs (and resulting insulin and glucose swings) your appetite is kept low so you can stick to the diet. Those who are not so "insulin sensitive" can get away with adding complex carbs.

so true, totally agree