PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up Shoulders

DCHMUSCLE88
06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I've had trouble over the years bringing up my shoulders overall thickness.
I've been doing
3 sets of 10 side raises
3 sets of 8-12 military press
3 sets of 8-12 standing press
3 sets of 10-14 reverse pec dec
3 sets 8-14 shrugs

dvsness
06-10-2009, 05:06 PM
This is a fun workout for delts when hitting a plateau:

http://www.timwescott.com/articles/buildwiderroundercannonballdelts.html

Shadow
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I've had trouble over the years bringing up my shoulders overall thickness.
I've been doing
3 sets of 10 side raises
3 sets of 8-12 military press
3 sets of 8-12 standing press
3 sets of 10-14 reverse pec dec
3 sets 8-14 shrugs

Overkill. Shoulders are a really small muscle group. Pick a movement to hit the side delts, pick a press, and pick a movement for rear delts. Including shrugs is fine. You can also drop the reps of the three sets you do for these movements, to something like 6 - 8 reps. Depending on how strong you are, you probably can go pretty heavy on the presses, so I personally would do those last. But that's up to you.

ANADROLicfreak
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
i have had weaker delts, from a phyique stand point.they are pretty strong.i use to do everything under the sun for shoulders.they never really grew.i recently just started doing lower volum.i do something for each head.heavy as possible.maybe try that.

buster12
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
lower volume for my shoulders did wonders, but I'm pretty sure anything will make my shoulders grow... lol

Blue and Gold
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I have to agree with most people here, for shoulders less is more. Once I started treating my delts like the smaller muscle group that they are, I saw vast improvements in a short amount of time.

BigJD69
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Overkill. Shoulders are a really small muscle group. Pick a movement to hit the side delts, pick a press, and pick a movement for rear delts. Including shrugs is fine. You can also drop the reps of the three sets you do for these movements, to something like 6 - 8 reps. Depending on how strong you are, you probably can go pretty heavy on the presses, so I personally would do those last. But that's up to you.
AGREED!!! Less is More. For me, I have always been Blessed with good shoulders. I would do 3 sets of side laterals, 3 sets of upright rows, 3 sets shrugs followed by Arnold Presses to finish up!

militantmuscle
06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I notice you're only using general hypertrophy rep ranges, you might need to activate type II fibers by using a 1-5 rep range, as well as type I by using 15-20+ reps. You will use heavier weight (think failure) with lower rep ranges, and with the high rep ranges a lighter weight that you can sustain with good form for the duration of the set.

freak
06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
get rid of one of the press movements and concentrate on medial and anterior delts. use lots of drop sets and super sets and keep the entire shoulder workout high-paced. shoulders recover very quickly so you have to beat the fuck out of them fast.

BigCanuck
06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Years ago i read an article discussing that on many individuals the medial delts are located more posterior than anterior.To remedy this i started doing all Lateral movements bent slightly forward,about 20 degrees and within 6 weeks my delts improved more than they had in years.It was already mentioned here but do dropsets on your Laterals.

crashcrew56
06-11-2009, 11:52 AM
How many of those sets are being performed to failure?

Ronnie Rowland
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
You'll need to do both higher volume and lower volume training to awaken those shoulders. They receive a lot of stimulation from chest and back work and will become complacent to grow unless you are genetically gifted.

MichaelWayne
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Do less and split them up two times a week. Go lighter, stricter and squeeze so hard it feels like you're going to pop them out of place. Worked for me so far.

BrotherIron
06-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Way to much imho. You grow outside the gym and not in it. Personally I would do Push Presses, Power Cleans, Hanging Side Laterals and that's it. Also, be sure to incorporate weighted stretches. These are all pretty much compound movements which will help build overall size, strength, and help build motor pathways as well.

ChunkyThunder
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I just started Slingshot Training and this is what I've come up with for my shoulders

Military Press,

2 Warmup sets
1 Prep set
Work Sets:
1 set 3-4 reps
2 sets 8-10 reps
1 set 12-15 reps

Side lateral raises
4 sets 8-10 reps

Rear Delts
4 sets 8-10 reps

So that works out to 12 actual work sets including rear delts

I'll do traps on the same day

Canuck_Muscle
06-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I would just say that side laterals are the most important movement that u should pay the most attention to for overall thickness of the shoulder. I usually do 4 sets and do a couple drop sets for further intensity. I always do mine with dumbells and while standing. My reps are in the 8 to 12 range. Sometimes I will go further down in reps to handle some heavy weight which can always add some more mass to the sides. Just make sure u attack them with real intensity.

Ronnie Rowland
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I just started Slingshot Training and this is what I've come up with for my shoulders

Military Press,

2 Warmup sets
1 Prep set
Work Sets:
1 set 3-4 reps
2 sets 8-10 reps
1 set 12-15 reps

Side lateral raises
4 sets 8-10 reps

Rear Delts
4 sets 8-10 reps

So that works out to 12 actual work sets including rear delts

I'll do traps on the same dayThis is a great shoulder building workout. It's the one I use myself during a reload! :)

Bigluva
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Try something different than what you normally do.

warm up then

Dumbell or barbell press 3 sets
laterals or wide grip upright rows 3 sets
dumbell or cables for rear delts 3sets
traps 2-3 sets

try going heavier than normal for less reps.

I don't see any need to work front delts with anything more than overhead presses, they get hit during chest workouts. And rear delts get hit pretty good on back day.

Jason Newman
06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
personally have brought up my laterla heads a ton with FST-7,
i do 2 warm up sets of presses,

then 2 sets press
3 sets laterals with cable or lying incline bench laterals or leaning dumbell lateral
3 sets rear delts check out daves movement its great for isolation, and not much back involvement
7 sets lateral machine

jeff_hardy
06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
i like to stay with the compounds.

standing bb press off the squat rack
DB side lateral of any kind one arm, two arms or thumb up
lateral raise bent over or Dave Palumbo style
machine presses burn out or some front raise.

I think you have to attack it from all angels. this is a tyical but I change it around a ton