PDA

View Full Version : Journey to the stage w/ Team Provo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jcross485
11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
So a brief intro...

I've been training for about 6 years now, about the last 5 were relatively serious with a decent diet. I am a former college tennis player. I started out this journey as a result of a pretty freak accident/injury at a tennis tournament after my JR year of college. I was in the weight room as a part of my rehab and got hooked on it instantly. I started out in the 140's...aka a typical ectomorph with small bones/joints, pretty fast metabolism, tolerate carbs fairly well, etc.

I was fortunate enough to be given an opportunity to work with Provo for a month. In 30 days, I noticed more positive changes in my physique than any other 30-day time period from what I can remember. Since then, I have signed on full-time with Provo with the hopes of competing in late summer / early fall 2013.

Height: 5'10"

Current Weight: 192.0lbs

Current Macros: 319.3p, 288.3c, 120.8f (Training Days); Off days are similar with approx 60g fewer carbs); 1 "High Carb Refeed" post-training 1x a week.

Current Training Split:
SUN: Hams, Quads, Abs
MON: Calves, Chest, Shoulders
TUES: Off
WED: Back, Traps, Abs
THURS: Off
FRI: Calves, Chest, Triceps/Biceps
SAT: Off

Daily Supplements:
Multi-Vitamin
Digestive Enzymes
Probiotic
Vitamin C
R-ALA
Amino Blend (During Training)

Jordan Coburn
11-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Subbed!

D-NUTZ
11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
In!!!

lksurf2
11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
IN!!

jcross485
11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks a ton for following along! Yesterday was a day off of training but I had some stuff to do around the house. Got the 2 lawn mowers prepped for storage this winter, got my girlfriends summer car stored as well, put a coat of dry lock on through the whole basement as a precaution, and also repainted the floor w/ concrete paint. Today I am supposed to be hitting legs around 12:30 w/ a buddy but he can be hit or miss sometimes. Either way I will be there doing work...just a matter of if he shows or not.

The Solution
11-25-2012, 11:16 AM
With Phil in your corner you are bound for success.

jcross485
11-25-2012, 03:59 PM
With Phil in your corner you are bound for success.

That's the goal!

jcross485
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
So just got in from training a little while ago. Ended up being about an hour and 45 mins from beginning of my warm up until the end of my final stretching. Pretty brutal session. Came home and ate and have been sitting in my massage chair watching some TV.

I'm not huge into posting numbers, especially because mine are nothing compared to some people. I will post them up for this entire week so you guys can have a peek into where I'm at. Legs and back tend to be strong points; chest, shoulders, arms tend to be weak points (numbers wise).

11/25...Hams, Quads, Abs

5 mins on stationary bike to loosen up legs

HS Seated Leg Curl (hold contraction 1 full second every rep, 3 second negatives): 3 warm up sets of 8; 135 (3 plates) x8,8,8

Squat (Olympic style; narrow stance, ass to calves): 3 warm up sets of 6; 335x6,6,6,6

Hack Squat (bottom out each rep, pause 1 full second on bottom, controlled negatives): 2 warm up sets of 8; 270 (3 plates per side) x 8,8,8

Lying Leg Curl superset BodyWeight Walking Lunge (hold contraction 1 full second, control negatives): 1 warm up set of 8 (15 steps/leg); 160x8,8,8,8 (15 steps/leg after each set)

DC Quad Stretch

SLDL (controlled negatives, touch floor on every rep): 2 warm up sets of 6; 345x6, 350x6, 355x6.

DC Ham Stretch

Hanging Leg Raise superset Decline Crunch: BWx15 superset BWx15 for 3 rounds

Jordan Coburn
11-25-2012, 05:27 PM
So just got in from training a little while ago. Ended up being about an hour and 45 mins from beginning of my warm up until the end of my final stretching. Pretty brutal session. Came home and ate and have been sitting in my massage chair watching some TV.

I'm not huge into posting numbers, especially because mine are nothing compared to some people. I will post them up for this entire week so you guys can have a peek into where I'm at. Legs and back tend to be strong points; chest, shoulders, arms tend to be weak points (numbers wise).

11/25...Hams, Quads, Abs

5 mins on stationary bike to loosen up legs

HS Seated Leg Curl (hold contraction 1 full second every rep, 3 second negatives): 3 warm up sets of 8; 135 (3 plates) x8,8,8

Squat (Olympic style; narrow stance, ass to calves): 3 warm up sets of 6; 335x6,6,6,6

Hack Squat (bottom out each rep, pause 1 full second on bottom, controlled negatives): 2 warm up sets of 8; 270 (3 plates per side) x 8,8,8

Lying Leg Curl superset BodyWeight Walking Lunge (hold contraction 1 full second, control negatives): 1 warm up set of 8 (15 steps/leg); 160x8,8,8,8 (15 steps/leg after each set)

DC Quad Stretch

SLDL (controlled negatives, touch floor on every rep): 2 warm up sets of 6; 345x6, 350x6, 355x6.

DC Ham Stretch

Hanging Leg Raise superset Decline Crunch: BWx15 superset BWx15 for 3 rounds

good looking leg day buddy! Don't worry about the numbers! At some point ask phil for his "phychosis" program...i've been on it for 2 days and my ass is whipped haha

lksurf2
11-25-2012, 05:38 PM
^^^agree with cobe on the numbers don't stress posting them. I post some weak ass numbers in mine but no one maes fun of me for it. as long as the weight is still a challenge it doesn't matter. and if I could lift lighter and still grow then I would rather have it that way and save my joints lol.

Hoss06
11-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Inb4 Austey

On the numbers who cares. I've never met one BB judge ask me what I can lift or pull...MMC is ur friend

daytonaMuscle
11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
think I'm going to follow this too.

lastson
11-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Great workout, will be following

jcross485
11-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the positive words guys, I really appreciate it.

Phil sent me his intermediate program...I like the looks of it. My gym has most of the equipment but I do not have access to a few things so I am in the process of highlighting a few things and sending it back so he can make a few changes.

Also, I think I'm going to make an executive decision and move my Monday workout to Tuesdays as my legs are brutally sore again and it's getting worse by the hour. I could probably go hit Chest/Shoulders later but I feel as though I would be more productive with another day of rest.

And on another note, where did the last 4 days go? I have worked a ton since the hurricane hit NY/NJ at the end of October and was really looking forward to getting away for a few days and relaxing and now I'm back in the office. I feel like I never left.

Extreme One
11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
In. Based on pics in the other thread, you have a ton of potential. You should do well.

jcross485
11-26-2012, 04:55 PM
In. Based on pics in the other thread, you have a ton of potential. You should do well.

Thanks man! I have a lot of work to do yet but I am doing what I need to every day.

jcross485
11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Woke up feeling pretty lean and dry this morning, just slightly flat, but not bad. Getting ready to leave the office to go train Calves/Chest/Shoulders.

Hoss06
11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Not far behind u sir

jcross485
11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Not far behind u sir

Hope it was kick ass! Will be checking logs tonight while I get some food prepped for tomorrow's refeed.

D-NUTZ
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Hope it was kick ass! Will be checking logs tonight while I get some food prepped for tomorrow's refeed.

Whats on the menu?

jcross485
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Pretty good Calves/Chest/Shoulders session...from warmup to walking out the door, about 90 mins.

Seated Calf Raise (3 second negative, hold stretch, explode up, hold contraction): 2 warm up sets of 8; 135 (3 plates) x 8,8,8

CALF STRETCH

HS Incline Bench Press (controlled negative, explode up): 3 warm up sets of 6; 280 (3 plates + 5 / side) x 6,6,6,6

Flat BB Bench Press (controlled negative, pause on chest, focus on contracting chest each rep): 2 warm up sets of 5; 225x5,5,5,5,5

Machine Incline Bench Press (3 second negative, explode up): 1 warm up set of 8; 300x8 drop to 200x8 drop to 100x8

DC CHEST STRETCH

Rear DB Lateral superset Icarian Standing Lateral (hold each contraction): 2 warm up sets of 8; 50/70x8,8,8

DB Shoulder Press (controlled negatives, all the way down each rep, touch DB to shoulders) 2 warm up sets of 6; 75x6,6,6

DB Lateral Raise (hold each contraction at the top): 2 warm up sets of 8; Giant Drop Set...35x8 to 30x8 to 25x8 to 20x8 to 15x8 to 10x8

DC SHOULDER STRETCH

jcross485
11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Whats on the menu?

Looking like a whole box of angel hair and about 2/3 jar low-fat sauce as my post workout meal...better hit deads hard to build a big enough appetite to get it down.

D-NUTZ
11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
We seem to be really close strength wise.

Workouts look intense man.

Enjoy the pasta. I am putting down a whole box of PB Cheerios on Friday.

Hoss06
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
With or w/out almond milk?

jcross485
11-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Just sent Provo my weight tracker...cals are getting bumped as I seem to be holding pretty steady. Changes will be made effective tomorrow. Refeed tonight post-workout.

Hoss06
11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Very cool! Things are still rolling in the right direction!

D-NUTZ
11-28-2012, 08:44 AM
With or w/out almond milk?

Definitely with.

Hoss06
11-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Good to hear...makes it that much more enjoyable...you having it all in one setting or giving yourself a window?

jcross485
11-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Very cool! Things are still rolling in the right direction!

Def! Weight is back down around 190 the last few days so I think the bump is warranted for sure.

jcross485
11-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Updated Macros: 322.6P, 311.3C, 145.0F

Game on!

Hoss06
11-28-2012, 09:16 AM
NICE!! Ur smoking me on macros! How much of a bump is that?

D-NUTZ
11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Good to hear...makes it that much more enjoyable...you having it all in one setting or giving yourself a window?

I've been giving myself an hour...but it usually takes 20-30mins to get down 300g depending on what I eat.

D-NUTZ
11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, lots of food bro.

Enjoy the bump.

jcross485
11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
NICE!! Ur smoking me on macros! How much of a bump is that?

Wow, lots of food bro.

Enjoy the bump.

Previous macro's were 316.6p, 305.7c, 120.6f

daytonaMuscle
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
are we going to get to see some progression pics?

jcross485
11-28-2012, 03:24 PM
are we going to get to see some progression pics?

Yes sir. I posted some in the other thread from last week...will take some new ones once I get a bit further into this calorie bump...probably a week or two and I will have some new ones up.

Gerb
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Looking like a whole box of angel hair and about 2/3 jar low-fat sauce as my post workout meal...better hit deads hard to build a big enough appetite to get it down.

that's alot of pasta!

good luck to you in 2013

jcross485
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
that's alot of pasta!

good luck to you in 2013

It sure was...but the best part is I was able to still eat more afterwards.

Thanks for the well wishes...do you have any competitive plans for 2013?

jcross485
11-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Hit Calves/Back today pretty hard...took a little longer than I was hoping but did a decent amount of volume and ran into a friend who I haven't seen in a while who is dieting for some spring shows.

Vertical Leg Press Calf Raise (hold contraction, 3 second negative, hold stretch): 2 warm up sets of 8; 270 (3 plates/side) x 8,8,8

CALF STRETCH

DB Row (hold contraction, emphasize stretch on each rep): 3 warm up sets of 8; 130x8,8

BB Row (underhand grip, squeeze back as much as possible through lower lats): 2 warm up sets of 6; 250x5,5,5,5

Close-Grip Pullup (emphasize stretch on each rep): 2 warm up sets of 6; BW+35x6,6,6,6

Lat Pulldown (underhand grip, controlled negatives, full stretch on each rep): 1 warm up set of 8; 170x8,8,8,8

Deadlifts: 3 warm up sets of 6; 435x6, 445x6

HyperExtension: BWx20,20,20

DC BACK STRETCH

Felt pretty good but towards the end I was getting a little tired/fatigued. Came home and had my refeed. I had a whole box of angel hair and a good amount of sauce, came to about 410g carbs. The goal was 400g carbs. However, I still felt like I could comfortably eat so I ended up having a movie-sized box of Mike and Ikes and a king-sized Skittles...came to a grand total of 635g carbs for my post-workout meal. I let Phil know via e-mail that I went quite a bit above as well.

One thing I would like to mention is my girl recently mentioned that it looks like my legs are getting smaller (which she likes as she things my legs are too big; I told her there is no such thing obviously). I measured just to check and they are in fact down almost a full inch from the last time I checked a few months ago. The only thing I can attribute this to is the fact the last few weeks I have been hitting them 1x per week. For the last 2-3 years or so, I have been hitting legs 2x every 7-8 days through various splits (DC, Westside, Sheiko). The rest of my body does not appear to be losing size at all; however, my legs are down a bit. I am willing to ride it out a little longer, hitting them 1x a week, but if things don't change soon then I will, without a doubt, go back to higher frequency and scale back volume a tad each session. Legs can win or lose shows and I refuse to lose because of it.

jcross485
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Stomach is still just a little bloated from the big refeed last night but surprisingly I don't feel bad. Slept like a baby last night...gotta love carb comas.

Weight is up about 3lbs total from the refeed.

Hoss06
11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
That's weird on the legs...I've heard some growing from down sizing their volume but not like you have....she has a good eye it seems....

D-NUTZ
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Did you measure them is the exact same spot as last time (sure you did, just a possible variable).

I know my leg size can differ almost a whole inch based on where I measure.

jcross485
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
That's weird on the legs...I've heard some growing from down sizing their volume but not like you have....she has a good eye it seems....

She does, only because she hates them haha! She said it looks like my hams are still about the same, that my legs look narrower so its more quad sweep and thickness that seems to be the issue.

Did you measure them is the exact same spot as last time (sure you did, just a possible variable).

I know my leg size can differ almost a whole inch based on where I measure.

Yeah, I def hear you on there as my legs do vary in size as well in different parts.

Me personally, I do not shave down but my leg hair actually has a "line" where it really thins out up near mid/high thigh so I use that as my reference point when measuring. I am pretty sure I was consistent with the spot, but I will try to keep a close eye on it over the coming weeks.

Hoss06
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
I shave daily :( like a gorilla if I don't...she'll mistake me for Wookie

Extreme One
11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
The question is do your legs look better? Are you losing muscle or are they smaller as a result of less water/fat in them? I personally hold a ton of water in my legs and when I start to drop fat, they get smaller.

jcross485
11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
The question is do your legs look better? Are you losing muscle or are they smaller as a result of less water/fat in them? I personally hold a ton of water in my legs and when I start to drop fat, they get smaller.

Honestly, my legs tend to stay fairly lean, I tend to store most on my lower back, obliques, hips, and abs.

After looking more closely, they do look smaller, but not necessarily tighter/leaner. My weight hasn't dropped at all really and I am def not getting weaker so I am at a bit of a loss.

I talked it over with Provo through e-mail and I think I am going to give it just another week or two and if things don't turn around then I am going to add in a 2nd leg day thats based around a little bit lighter, more explosive squat work and some pumping giant-sets of curls/extensions/walking lunges.

Gerb
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
It sure was...but the best part is I was able to still eat more afterwards.

Thanks for the well wishes...do you have any competitive plans for 2013?

Nope, taking the year off to grow. Come back better in 2014 for the FL State. My wife has a couple shows lined up, Masters Nats and North Americans so one of us prep'n over the spring/summer is enough. Just looking forward to a good long off season and seeing how much I can gain. I am like 19 months out lol, so I got a long one ahead of me.

jcross485
11-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Nope, taking the year off to grow. Come back better in 2014 for the FL State. My wife has a couple shows lined up, Masters Nats and North Americans so one of us prep'n over the spring/summer is enough. Just looking forward to a good long off season and seeing how much I can gain. I am like 19 months out lol, so I got a long one ahead of me.

Nice! A couple guys from my gym did North Americans last year and one did Master Nats as well. I was pretty busy this past summer w/ other things but they're doing them again this year and I went to school not too far from Pittsburgh so I am going to try and make it down.

Best of luck on your offseason...keep pushing hard and I'm sure you will be rewarded.

Gerb
11-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Nice! A couple guys from my gym did North Americans last year and one did Master Nats as well. I was pretty busy this past summer w/ other things but they're doing them again this year and I went to school not too far from Pittsburgh so I am going to try and make it down.

Best of luck on your offseason...keep pushing hard and I'm sure you will be rewarded.

Cool, NAs would be the one to see for sure. Some freaks in that one!

Yeah, prep is simple, bretty much a no brainer and the end goal is typically not too far off. off season I always find the most challenging mentally and physically. But I aint that far in so right now all is REAL good! Cause finally eating. I just grilled chicken thighs on my grill, I can't remember the last time I put anything other than chicken breast or lean steak on it. About to tear into them right now!

jcross485
11-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Cool, NAs would be the one to see for sure. Some freaks in that one!

Yeah, prep is simple, bretty much a no brainer and the end goal is typically not too far off. off season I always find the most challenging mentally and physically. But I aint that far in so right now all is REAL good! Cause finally eating. I just grilled chicken thighs on my grill, I can't remember the last time I put anything other than chicken breast or lean steak on it. About to tear into them right now!

Sounds good...I am going to try and make a nice weekend of it...see some guys from my gym fight for their cards, meet up with some of my good college buddies, etc.

On a side note, I do have a few feelers out right now for a few different positions within my company. Without getting too far ahead, it would put me on the road up to 75% of the time, but the compensation makes it well worth it.

lksurf2
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Would be on the road like that make it tougher for you and the misses

jcross485
11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Would be on the road like that make it tougher for you and the misses

Potentially, yes...but I had a long talk with her before I decided to start looking more into it and it would financially put us in a very good place and it would more than likely be a 3-5 year thing. From there, I would be able to settle down anywhere we have an office and be an outside claim rep or potentially move into management. Our company looks at the CAT adjusters very highly due to the workload they take on and sacrifices they do make.

Hoss06
11-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Would you be eating on the go or?

jcross485
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Would you be eating on the go or?

I would be eating on the go for probably 3-4 meals a day, but my company tends to put the adjusters up in Microtels or other places with small kitchenettes so I should be able to make due and stay pretty closely to my diet with a few small mods in food choices. It wouldn't be ideal as I would be eating a lot of food cold out of a car, but that wouldn't stop me. Also, they provide all the adjusters with a Golds Gym membership so if I am close to one, I have access to one of those; if not, I would just have to find a local gym.

This is still all very early though and nothing is guarenteed. I am just starting the process of trying to get myself into that role.

The Solution
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Ill be in Pittsburgh next weekend in ShadySide (where my brother stays)
How far you away from Shady Side and where do you train?

jcross485
11-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Ill be in Pittsburgh next weekend in ShadySide (where my brother stays)
How far you away from Shady Side and where do you train?

I actually live just outside of Buffalo, NY currently. I have a few friends in Pittsburgh and a few guys from my home gym here in NY are doing Master Nats and North American's so I am trying to make it down to Pittsburgh for the shows next year to show my support.

jcross485
11-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Calves, Chest, Triceps/Biceps

Vertical Leg Press Calf Raise s/s Seated Calf Raise (hold each contraction, slow negative, hold each stretch): 2 warm up sets of 8; 270 / 90 x 8,8,8

CALF STRETCH

Incline DB Bench Press (controlled negatives, focus on stretch each rep): 3 warm up sets of 6; 105x5,5,5,5

Incline BB Bench Press (controlled negative, pause each rep on chest, explosive as possible): 2 warm up sets of 6; 205x6,6,6,6

Low-Incline Smith Machine Bench Press: 1 warmup set of 8; 210x8 drop to 140x8 drop to 70x8

DC CHEST STRETCH

Cable Pressdowns s/s Reverse Grip Cable Curls (controlled negatives, explosive contractions, hold each contraction): 2 warm up sets of 8; 150 / 100 x 8,8,8,8

Close-Grip Bench Press s/s DB Hammer Curl (controlled negative, explosive contraction, squeeze each rep): 2 warm up sets of 6; 185 / 50 x 6,6,6,6

Dip s/s HS Preacher Curl (squeeze each rep): 1 warm up set of 8; BW+45 / 80 x 8,8,8,8

EZ Bar Curl (rest/pause set) 1 warm up set of 8; 75 x 23 total reps

DC BICEP STRETCH

Dead-Stop Skulls Lying on Floor (rest/pause set): 1 warm up set of 8; 75 x 26 total reps

DC TRICEP STRETCH

That's all she wrote for the week. Ended with a fairly good session...not spectacular but not bad. Laying low tonight watching some TV, then have to help my dad and step mom move tomorrow.

On a side note, I have a couple of videos pulling over 3x BW from the floor but I can't figure out how to post them up as i don't have a YouTube account/channel. Anyone know how else to do it?

Hoss06
11-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Just create a YouTube account. Simple my man.
Good work on those weights!

Jordan Coburn
12-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Calves, Chest, Triceps/Biceps

Vertical Leg Press Calf Raise s/s Seated Calf Raise (hold each contraction, slow negative, hold each stretch): 2 warm up sets of 8; 270 / 90 x 8,8,8

CALF STRETCH

Incline DB Bench Press (controlled negatives, focus on stretch each rep): 3 warm up sets of 6; 105x5,5,5,5

Incline BB Bench Press (controlled negative, pause each rep on chest, explosive as possible): 2 warm up sets of 6; 205x6,6,6,6

Low-Incline Smith Machine Bench Press: 1 warmup set of 8; 210x8 drop to 140x8 drop to 70x8

DC CHEST STRETCH

Cable Pressdowns s/s Reverse Grip Cable Curls (controlled negatives, explosive contractions, hold each contraction): 2 warm up sets of 8; 150 / 100 x 8,8,8,8

Close-Grip Bench Press s/s DB Hammer Curl (controlled negative, explosive contraction, squeeze each rep): 2 warm up sets of 6; 185 / 50 x 6,6,6,6

Dip s/s HS Preacher Curl (squeeze each rep): 1 warm up set of 8; BW+45 / 80 x 8,8,8,8

EZ Bar Curl (rest/pause set) 1 warm up set of 8; 75 x 23 total reps

DC BICEP STRETCH

Dead-Stop Skulls Lying on Floor (rest/pause set): 1 warm up set of 8; 75 x 26 total reps

DC TRICEP STRETCH

That's all she wrote for the week. Ended with a fairly good session...not spectacular but not bad. Laying low tonight watching some TV, then have to help my dad and step mom move tomorrow.

On a side note, I have a couple of videos pulling over 3x BW from the floor but I can't figure out how to post them up as i don't have a YouTube account/channel. Anyone know how else to do it?

Nice Workout man!! Love the Rest pause sets at the end!!!

lksurf2
12-01-2012, 06:02 AM
nice workout man. Wish I had a vertical Leg Press at the gym. We use to own one at my house but sold it about 10 years ago because my dad had stopped using it and I was a fat kid who thought I never would be into lifting or training.

jcross485
12-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Just create a YouTube account. Simple my man.
Good work on those weights!

I will try and do that today after I get my dad and step-mom moved in. Thanks!

Nice Workout man!! Love the Rest pause sets at the end!!!

Thanks, much appreciated! I did give DC training a go...I loved the idea of the rest-pause sets and stretches. I just don't think I am advanced enough quite yet to make the switch fully.

nice workout man. Wish I had a vertical Leg Press at the gym. We use to own one at my house but sold it about 10 years ago because my dad had stopped using it and I was a fat kid who thought I never would be into lifting or training.

I am jealous! I always tell my girl, because our office always goes in on the Powerball, that if we ever hit it, I am going to buy both of us a nice house and build a killer home setup and allow some of my closer friends to come over to train whenever they would like.

jcross485
12-01-2012, 07:39 AM
About to go start moving my dad and step mom...nothing going on after that besides some R&R time with the girl. I am a huge Denzel fan...my fave movie is Man on Fire, and then theres a 3-way tie for 2nd...American Gangster, Training Day, and The Book of Eli. I like just about every other one of his movies, minus a select few. She's seen just about all of them with me, but shes never seen American Gangster so our plan is to watch some movies, with that being one of them.

Also, sent Provo my weight tracker for the last few days and it looks like the scale is moving up. I am not sure if I will be hitting my weekly free meal today or post-training tomorrow, but I will keep you guys posted.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

jcross485
12-01-2012, 07:59 AM
[/url]http://youtu.be/NQoO_1QXMGA[/url]

jcross485
12-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Not the prettiest lifts bur these are from earlier this year while I was focusing on bringing up my deadlift numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQoO_1QXMGA&feature=plcp

jcross485
12-01-2012, 08:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZukSeWdEpkE&feature=plcp

jcross485
12-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Got to sleep in a bit today but I needed it. My body is a wreck from moving my dad yesterday. He's disabled and my step mom is a 4'11", 90lb nurse so she isn't exactly built to move heavy things. My step brother and I got the whole house packed, loaded into the truck, and unloaded at the new house in about 7 hours ourselves. We decided we should start a moving company haha!

After, they took the both of us out to eat as a thank you so I had my free meal last night. I had a house salad w/ no dressing, 10oz sirloin, plain baked potato, some veggies, and a small piece of cake...all things considered it wasn't too bad for a free meal.

I'm sitting in my iJoy (massage chair) right now having a little coffee...just trying to loosen up my low back a bit. Going to train legs a little later.

Hoss06
12-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Not the prettiest lifts bur these are from earlier this year while I was focusing on bringing up my deadlift numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQoO_1QXMGA&feature=plcp

Repped!

Hoss06
12-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Got to sleep in a bit today but I needed it. My body is a wreck from moving my dad yesterday. He's disabled and my step mom is a 4'11", 90lb nurse so she isn't exactly built to move heavy things. My step brother and I got the whole house packed, loaded into the truck, and unloaded at the new house in about 7 hours ourselves. We decided we should start a moving company haha!

After, they took the both of us out to eat as a thank you so I had my free meal last night. I had a house salad w/ no dressing, 10oz sirloin, plain baked potato, some veggies, and a small piece of cake...all things considered it wasn't too bad for a free meal.

I'm sitting in my iJoy (massage chair) right now having a little coffee...just trying to loosen up my low back a bit. Going to train legs a little later.

Sounds like my type of free meal! I'm sure your parents appreciated the help.....have a good leg day!

The Solution
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Free meal and Legs! Get it !!!

Gerb
12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Dang! Nice pulling on the 585!

jcross485
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Repped!

Sounds like my type of free meal! I'm sure your parents appreciated the help.....have a good leg day!

Thanks on both accounts! That free meal hit the spot much more than the "shit" food I've had the last few weeks.

Free meal and Legs! Get it !!!

Absolutely...crawled out. Our locker room is in the basement of the gym. Let just say I needed both railings to get down and back up.

Dang! Nice pulling on the 585!

Thanks man! My 610 attempt def had a hitch in it, but I think if I really put some focus into that specific lift again I should be able to go over 600 without a hitch.

lksurf2
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Fuck dude I'm jealous of that 610. lol feel so weak now hahaha. Enjoy laying on the couch the rest of the night lol

Jordan Coburn
12-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Jesus...nasty deads man! nice work!!!

I hear you on moving man...if you own a truck or are a big dude you always have a friend in need haha.

lastson
12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Nice pulls!!!.. your a strong ass dude....

Last

jcross485
12-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Fuck dude I'm jealous of that 610. lol feel so weak now hahaha. Enjoy laying on the couch the rest of the night lol

Jesus...nasty deads man! nice work!!!

I hear you on moving man...if you own a truck or are a big dude you always have a friend in need haha.

Nice pulls!!!.. your a strong ass dude....

Last

Thanks a lot for all the kind words...I really appreciate it. My girl decided to come to the gym those days to do a little cardio so I put her to work recording a few max effort attempts. She had a few comments...first, I looked like I was about to pass out after each lift...second, she didn't know barbells bent...and third, she said the 610 attempt doesn't count because of the hitch.

Yes, she keeps me in check.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

jcross485
12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Big update and big changes...this is starting tomorrow, as long as the pics I get to Provo show what has been happening.

NEW MACROS: 3,975 Calories / 324 Grams of Protein / 364.9 grams of carbohydrates / 136.4 grams of fat

The big change is going from a timed carb diet (Meal 1, Pre/Post carbs only) to having carbs with all meals except the last meal of the day.

Essentially, the scale is staying the same lately. My goal is to compete in the Fall, 2013. Tenatively, dieting would start sometime in May to make sure the diet is slow and I retain muscle. With that said, I have 4.5-5 months until the dieting begins. I have some improvements that need to be made and some filling out to do. Luckily, I have been blessed with a pretty good metabolism so we do not think I will have to suffer like some w/ regards to dropping calories too low or having to do insane amounts of cardio.

We are going to give things a go with this set up and adjust accordingly.

Thus far, I have to say I have been nothing short of blown away by the individualized attention I am being given by Provo. Everything that has been done, all the changes, all the customization, has been personalized to my body.

Jordan Coburn
12-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Big update and big changes...this is starting tomorrow, as long as the pics I get to Provo show what has been happening.

NEW MACROS: 3,975 Calories / 324 Grams of Protein / 364.9 grams of carbohydrates / 136.4 grams of fat

The big change is going from a timed carb diet (Meal 1, Pre/Post carbs only) to having carbs with all meals except the last meal of the day.

Essentially, the scale is staying the same lately. My goal is to compete in the Fall, 2013. Tenatively, dieting would start sometime in May to make sure the diet is slow and I retain muscle. With that said, I have 4.5-5 months until the dieting begins. I have some improvements that need to be made and some filling out to do. Luckily, I have been blessed with a pretty good metabolism so we do not think I will have to suffer like some w/ regards to dropping calories too low or having to do insane amounts of cardio.

We are going to give things a go with this set up and adjust accordingly.

Thus far, I have to say I have been nothing short of blown away by the individualized attention I am being given by Provo. Everything that has been done, all the changes, all the customization, has been personalized to my body.

i'll be honest...those macros just gave me a boner haha.

Looks like its time to grow buddy!!

Phil's the best, I'm pumped to see the changes that you two will be able to make!!

lksurf2
12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
those are some nice new macros. now put them to use!

jcross485
12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
i'll be honest...those macros just gave me a boner haha.

Looks like its time to grow buddy!!

Phil's the best, I'm pumped to see the changes that you two will be able to make!!

those are some nice new macros. now put them to use!

I'm excited to say the least! Def a lot of food, which I am not going to complain about at all, especially considering I am not doing any cardio. If needed, I can always throw in 20-30 mins fasted in the mornings as I have a treadmill and a couple of big labs that love walks, or any other Provo recommends.

I have been over 200lbs in the past but it was far from pretty. Even then, I don't think I was eating this many calories on a daily basis so I would say he has figured out my body pretty well and my metabolism is rocking pretty good also.

Hoss06
12-03-2012, 03:09 PM
No cardio >:|
Lucky...

jcross485
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
No cardio >:|
Lucky...

Very! One of the benefits of being an ecto. One of the downsides is how much food it takes to gain weight...it gets expensive after a while.

Hoss06
12-03-2012, 10:14 PM
BB is an expensive sport...no doubt; just so addicting at the same time.

lksurf2
12-04-2012, 05:35 AM
I think almost all of us here know exactly what it was like being over 200lbs and not a good looking 200lbs lol. heaviest I have been was 236lbs when I was about 16. then dieted down to 155 and looked way to so k and skinny. so now eating this much food on a daily basis and not getting very fat shocks the fuck out of me lol. But I still have to be careful even though I'm taller. And have longer limbs I'm not much of an ecto like people thought I was.

The Solution
12-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Very! One of the benefits of being an ecto. One of the downsides is how much food it takes to gain weight...it gets expensive after a while.

Bulk Shopping and coupons!

jcross485
12-04-2012, 08:00 AM
BB is an expensive sport...no doubt; just so addicting at the same time.

Agreed...100% on both accounts.

I think almost all of us here know exactly what it was like being over 200lbs and not a good looking 200lbs lol. heaviest I have been was 236lbs when I was about 16. then dieted down to 155 and looked way to so k and skinny. so now eating this much food on a daily basis and not getting very fat shocks the fuck out of me lol. But I still have to be careful even though I'm taller. And have longer limbs I'm not much of an ecto like people thought I was.

I started this whole journey as a 140lb ecto. About 2 years ago, I played the "chase a number on the scale" game. Got up to about 202-203. The end result...had to diet 5 months after and went back to 174 just to be lean. Never again do I want to get that much out of shape.

Bulk Shopping and coupons!

My girlfriend is the best when it comes to that!

jcross485
12-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Sent Phil some update photos this morning, first thing out of bed w/ no food, no water, and in very unflattering lighting. If I can look good in unflattering lighting, I can look good anytime.

Sorry if they are huge.

Hoss06
12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Just my observation, but if you twist your pinkies towards the back of you it may help bring out the peaks better and maybe a little more rear delt....quads and hammys look good. I see some improvements needed in the arms and chest, but that may just be me. What are you focusing on?

On the side chest try bringing the left shoulder out more by turning the chest more right...if that makes any sense (?)

jcross485
12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Just my observation, but if you twist your pinkies towards the back of you it may help bring out the peaks better and maybe a little more rear delt....quads and hammys look good. I see some improvements needed in the arms and chest, but that may just be me. What are you focusing on?

On the side chest try bringing the left shoulder out more by turning the chest more right...if that makes any sense (?)

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I really need to work on my posing.

I am currently trying to bring up my entire upper body to be honest. The only thing up top I think is decent is my back thickness/detail (I think that comes from the deadlifting). I need more width, some more shoulder size/roundness, more chest, and much more arms. I could always use more calves as well. My quads and hams aren't bad, but they could always be bigged/better.

I just feel as though I am nowhere near the level to focus on just one or two things. I think I need to focus on improving all around, every single day.

D-NUTZ
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah definitely entire upper body with focus on chest/back width.

Your legs are crazy man.

I have the same philosophy on taking progress pics.

jcross485
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah definitely entire upper body with focus on chest/back width.

Your legs are crazy man.

I have the same philosophy on taking progress pics.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the kind words on my legs...its been a lot of sweat and even some blood and tears in the squat rack. No secrets whatsoever...squats, squats, squats for me.

I noticed my chest really started coming up when I focused on the big movements and hit a bit higher frequency, hence why I am still hitting chest 2x a week. I wonder if my arms and shoulders would respond to the same?

Back width I am def working on and it seems to be coming slowly but surely.

D-NUTZ
12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate the kind words on my legs...its been a lot of sweat and even some blood and tears in the squat rack. No secrets whatsoever...squats, squats, squats for me.

I noticed my chest really started coming up when I focused on the big movements and hit a bit higher frequency, hence why I am still hitting chest 2x a week. I wonder if my arms and shoulders would respond to the same?

Back width I am def working on and it seems to be coming slowly but surely.

My chest/shoulders came up too with 2x per week.

I just started hitting arms 2x and back 2x and switched chest/shoulders to 1x. I need those Phil Heath gunz.

Gerb
12-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Sent Phil some update photos this morning, first thing out of bed w/ no food, no water, and in very unflattering lighting. If I can look good with hairy legs , I can look good anytime.

Sorry if they are huge.

FIXED

... Looking good bro, very balance physique, condition and aesthetics (symmetry) reign supreme in this sport, keep up the great work!

When you planning to get on stage again?

jcross485
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
My chest/shoulders came up too with 2x per week.

I just started hitting arms 2x and back 2x and switched chest/shoulders to 1x. I need those Phil Heath gunz.

Same here. When I was using more Westside principles, I was hitting a rear delt movement s/s lateral delt movement for 2-3 sets at the end of every workout and I think thats when my shoulders looked the best. I think I may have to hit arms and shoulders with a little more frequency like chest...but then I might as well go to hitting everything 2x every 7-8 days like I used to.

FIXED

... Looking good bro, very balance physique, condition and aesthetics (symmetry) reign supreme in this sport, keep up the great work!

When you planning to get on stage again?

Thanks for the compliments...much appreciated! I def have hairy legs and arms, no lies there.

The tenative plan is late summer or fall of 2013 for me. I need to grow a bit more yet all the way around. There are a few shows in my city late in the year and another couple that aren't too far away, couple hours worth of driving.

jcross485
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
So sent Provo an e-mail as he always likes to have me check in on Tuesday regarding my Wednesday refeed.

I asked if we are going to ride out the calorie bump for a little bit or if he wants me to refeed.

His response..."Na fuck it let's get huge go for it brother".

And this is just one reason why I am more than happy to be teaming up with Provo.

GROW TIME.

Hoss06
12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Lmao. Awesome!

jcross485
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I have been toying with a few ideas regarding training lately. I have noticed that my legs have lost a little overall size since going from 2x/week to 1x/week training.

I also feel as though I need to bring up my entire upper body, so I feel as though I could benefit from higher frequency training with respect to my entire upper body as well, provided that volume of each session is kept in check to support recovery and growth.

I guess right now I am toying with the idea of something more like an Upper/Lower split with varying rep schemes (ie. max effort days, rep effort days, speed days)...something similar to Westside or the program Layne Norton made famous.

Jordan Coburn
12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I have been toying with a few ideas regarding training lately. I have noticed that my legs have lost a little overall size since going from 2x/week to 1x/week training.

I also feel as though I need to bring up my entire upper body, so I feel as though I could benefit from higher frequency training with respect to my entire upper body as well, provided that volume of each session is kept in check to support recovery and growth.

I guess right now I am toying with the idea of something more like an Upper/Lower split with varying rep schemes (ie. max effort days, rep effort days, speed days)...something similar to Westside or the program Layne Norton made famous.

Just spitballing here, but maybe like a 3on/1off push/pull/legs type split?

but tweak it so one leg day is more quad focused, the next is more ham focused, one back day is more "width" focused, the other is more "thickness" focused?

Not sure what your recovery ability is like, but it might be a nice shock to your system.

I'm going to be making some tweaks to my split/periodization as well after I finish the program phil has laid out for me in a couple weeks.

whatever you decide i'm sure you'll kill it, buddy.

jcross485
12-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Just spitballing here, but maybe like a 3on/1off push/pull/legs type split?

but tweak it so one leg day is more quad focused, the next is more ham focused, one back day is more "width" focused, the other is more "thickness" focused?

Not sure what your recovery ability is like, but it might be a nice shock to your system.

I'm going to be making some tweaks to my split/periodization as well after I finish the program phil has laid out for me in a couple weeks.

whatever you decide i'm sure you'll kill it, buddy.

Recovery wise I seem to do pretty well. I've pushed the envelope before in the past w/ high volume, high frequency PL programs and been ok.

I know this may sound lame but I will have to clear being in the gym 5-6 days a week with the Mrs. 4 is no big deal...something like Legs/Off/Push/Pull/Off repeat I could probably even swing as well...but I know if I went a bit more than that she's going to have to be ok with it as we do have our time together as well.

jcross485
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Just to expand further, we are currently not living together but in the process of finding a place. Its going to be a temporary place as we are planning on moving by the end of 2013 to either TX, NV, or TN...depends on where she finds placement as she is in med school to become a neurosurgeon. Yes...my girl has Bachelors degrees in fashion design, pre-med, and chemistry, has been through 2 brain surgeries, and is still pursuing med school. I frankly have no idea how she does it but her strength and resolve inspires me every day.

Anyways, because we are not living together, our days together are limited to the days I don't lift as I have to train after work...work 9-6, train 6:30-8, then go home, wake up, and do it all over again. I have a feeling that once we get a place together, it will be easier to train 5-6 days a week without too much of an issue as I will be coming home to her afterwards. Its not that training is not important to me, because it is very important to me, but she is important as well and I want to keep balance.

On a side note...does anybody have any experience with using "Fat Gripz" or larger diameter barbells/dumbbells? I am wondering if it would be a useful tool to help bring up my arms.

Provo82
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Just to expand further, we are currently not living together but in the process of finding a place. Its going to be a temporary place as we are planning on moving by the end of 2013 to either TX, NV, or TN...depends on where she finds placement as she is in med school to become a neurosurgeon. Yes...my girl has Bachelors degrees in fashion design, pre-med, and chemistry, has been through 2 brain surgeries, and is still pursuing med school. I frankly have no idea how she does it but her strength and resolve inspires me every day.

Anyways, because we are not living together, our days together are limited to the days I don't lift as I have to train after work...work 9-6, train 6:30-8, then go home, wake up, and do it all over again. I have a feeling that once we get a place together, it will be easier to train 5-6 days a week without too much of an issue as I will be coming home to her afterwards. Its not that training is not important to me, because it is very important to me, but she is important as well and I want to keep balance.

On a side note...does anybody have any experience with using "Fat Gripz" or larger diameter barbells/dumbbells? I am wondering if it would be a useful tool to help bring up my arms.

thats amazing that shes been through all that and is going to become a neurosurgeon. she must be very intelligent and tough. once you move intogether shell be happy to have a few hours apart from u while your at the gym each day lol or maybe not. i hear good things about fat gripz.

jcross485
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
thats amazing that shes been through all that and is going to become a neurosurgeon. she must be very intelligent and tough. once you move intogether shell be happy to have a few hours apart from u while your at the gym each day lol or maybe not. i hear good things about fat gripz.

Extremely intelligent. She originally wanted to go to med school for osteopathic medicine but after being diagnosed with an incurable neuro- condition herself, it made her very interested and she wanted to help out other people in her shoes. Unfortunately, there is no cure for what she has (Chiari Malformation) at this time, just treatments to help reduce some of the effects that the condition causes.

As far as the gym time, I am sure she will be wanting to get rid of me here and there and asking me to go train haha! If thats the way it turns out, I will be taking full advantage.

I may pick up a pair of the fat gripz...they're relatively inexpensive and it can't hurt to try them on some arm movements here and there. If they don't work for me, I'll just give them to my gym to keep on hand. If they work, then its money well spent.

Jordan Coburn
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Recovery wise I seem to do pretty well. I've pushed the envelope before in the past w/ high volume, high frequency PL programs and been ok.

I know this may sound lame but I will have to clear being in the gym 5-6 days a week with the Mrs. 4 is no big deal...something like Legs/Off/Push/Pull/Off repeat I could probably even swing as well...but I know if I went a bit more than that she's going to have to be ok with it as we do have our time together as well.

Totally get it man, and in the big picture it totally makes sense. Balance with life outside of bodybuilding is something that we all need to find. Luckily my girl gets the lifestyle (she's done bikini and is in the process of trying to move up to figure) and all that goes with it. Very inspiring about your girl!!

lksurf2
12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I must say I hate you both for having girls/future wives that are supportive and understand the training/diet lifestyle we all do.... lol part of me thinks ill have to move some place else to find someone like that

jcross485
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Totally get it man, and in the big picture it totally makes sense. Balance with life outside of bodybuilding is something that we all need to find. Luckily my girl gets the lifestyle (she's done bikini and is in the process of trying to move up to figure) and all that goes with it. Very inspiring about your girl!!

My girl does not have too much of an interest in it for herself, and frankly, she can't really do much lifting due to the brain issue. She does try to eat as healthy as possible and do cardio to stay in shape though. She is supportive of a lot of it.

I must say I hate you both for having girls/future wives that are supportive and understand the training/diet lifestyle we all do.... lol part of me thinks ill have to move some place else to find someone like that

Honestly, it was pure luck in my case. We have known each other and been friends since 5th grade. About 3 years ago we started hanging out more, one thing led to another, everything clicked, and here we are.

I think it more comes down to finding someone who isn't close-minded or too hung up on whats made popular in the news. Someone who is willing to think for themselves with an open mind, see all sides, and make informed decisions. When we were friends, she knew I was into eating right and lifting. When we started dating, she thought that the extent I took it to (keeping training logs, weighing food, etc) was excessive. I told her its not that I "have" to do things this way, but that I "want" to and I enjoy it. She slowly has accepted it more and more, and now even embraces it. She was the one who taped my max effort deads I posted, she helps me prep food for the week, weigh it out and put it in tupperware on occasion.

Honestly, this is just my opinion, but I would say that it would be very rare to find someone to embrace all aspects of the lifestyle right off the bat. However, as things progress, they should be willing to accept things and embrace them more and more as a part of who you are...if they don't, it's going to be very difficult to make it work.

In the Buffalo, NY area where we currently are, the BB/Fitness community is rather small. Luckily, I train at a gym with a few serious competitors, some very high level as well, which really helps because when my girl comes with me to the gym, she sees the people I am surrounded with and they are nothing but the most friendly, down to earth, supportive people. Nobody has an ego, nobody judges anyone, everyone is there to train their asses off and help other members do the same.

And now looking back...that was mighty long-winded. Sorry about that.

Extreme One
12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
As far as programs go how about a three way push/pull/legs split but you train 4 or 5 days a week? I have done that split over 4 days so that you are hitting each bodypart something like 6 times a month as opposed to 4.

The Solution
12-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Buffalo is a very competitive city and holds a ton of events. NO surprise there buddy! Keep killing it.

jcross485
12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
As far as programs go how about a three way push/pull/legs split but you train 4 or 5 days a week? I have done that split over 4 days so that you are hitting each bodypart something like 6 times a month as opposed to 4.

I have definitely been toying with something like that. Something like Legs / Off / Push / Pull / Off / Repeat. Would allow me to hit everything 6 times a month like you said. I am just toying with a few different nuances recommended by Cobe, such as having one more ham-focused leg day and one more quad-focused leg day, a thickness-focused pull day and a width-focused pull day. Once I get things laid out where I think it looks good I will post it up for feedback.

Buffalo is a very competitive city and holds a ton of events. NO surprise there buddy! Keep killing it.

Thanks! We do have a few shows between here and Rochester which is about 75mins away...INBF, NGA and NPC as well. Just like you we do have a good competitive base in my gym so it is motivating, and most of the guys who compete have been pushing me to do so as well.

Hoss06
12-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Mine just became adapted to the lifestyle and is very supportive of it. Sure, there are times during prep she hates me doing it, but still continues to support me thru the end and then some. ...she trains (not competitively) and eats as "clean" as possible.

jcross485
12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Mine just became adapted to the lifestyle and is very supportive of it. Sure, there are times during prep she hates me doing it, but still continues to support me thru the end and then some. ...she trains (not competitively) and eats as "clean" as possible.

It always makes it easier when you have support.

jcross485
12-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Spoke to Provo via e-mail this morning a bit. Sent my weight tracker...weight seems to be stuck around 190 right now despite all the food, the refeed, and the free meal.

Prior to starting with Provo, I was sitting around 190lbs or so, and I was eating around 3000cals on training days and 2650 cals on off days.

We have been working together approx 6 weeks or so. Currently, I am still sitting around 190lbs and eating about 1000 cals MORE per day.

We are going to keep things the same through the weekend and reassess Monday, but more than likely (per Provo), we are going to "jack it up significantly no more baby bumps". I told him that I do feel as though I am relatively lean right now so naturally, I do get a little concerned that I will put on excess fat, but I do know thats more a mental thing on my side, and we are going to keep a close eye on things. He does feel we have a little room to play with but at my current level of conditioning and the fact I am not doing any cardio, we aren't at risk at this time for putting on too much fat.

jcross485
12-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Just realized I didn't post much about training this week. Stayed with the same split and pretty much exact same exercises and sequence as the prior week, but cut back on volume by about 50%, took just about every working set to failure, and added in "intensity techniques" where I could (rest/pause sets, drop sets, strip sets, paused reps, etc). I do enjoy training but after 3 weeks of higher volume stuff I wanted to push the limits a bit. Ended up having some decent numbers (for me anyways).

I am still working on something that will have a little less volume per session so I can hit body parts w/ more frequency (ideally 2x every 7-10 days vs 1x per week). I am also thinking of doing some kind of rear delt movement s/s side delt movement for a few sets every workout to help make me look wider and add more "cap".

My girl wants to go shopping today so were heading out to do that and then grabbing some sushi for my free meal so we can get home to watch the fights.

Gerb
12-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Yep, that is the biggest challenge of BBing

Jordan Coburn
12-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Just realized I didn't post much about training this week. Stayed with the same split and pretty much exact same exercises and sequence as the prior week, but cut back on volume by about 50%, took just about every working set to failure, and added in "intensity techniques" where I could (rest/pause sets, drop sets, strip sets, paused reps, etc). I do enjoy training but after 3 weeks of higher volume stuff I wanted to push the limits a bit. Ended up having some decent numbers (for me anyways).

I am still working on something that will have a little less volume per session so I can hit body parts w/ more frequency (ideally 2x every 7-10 days vs 1x per week). I am also thinking of doing some kind of rear delt movement s/s side delt movement for a few sets every workout to help make me look wider and add more "cap".

My girl wants to go shopping today so were heading out to do that and then grabbing some sushi for my free meal so we can get home to watch the fights.

Nice man. I Love R/P sets! What'd you think of the fights?

Yep, that is the biggest challenge of BBing

Yep. Having a partner that supports you/your lifestyle helps immensely though!

The Solution
12-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Rest Pause reminds me of the good old DC Days!

jcross485
12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Nice man. I Love R/P sets! What'd you think of the fights?

Yep. Having a partner that supports you/your lifestyle helps immensely though!

Rest Pause reminds me of the good old DC Days!

Love the R/P sets...they are a great tool, I am just not quite advanced enough to get the full benefits of DC training (IMO).

Just a few thoughts on the fights off the top of my head...
1). Henderson looked real good, but not unbeatable by any means. Jones and Silva look unstoppable in comparison.
2). Rua needs to figure out his conditioning.
3). Rory MacDonald has a chance to go far in MMA; alswo, BJ Penn looks like he should hang it up before he takes too many more beatdowns. He's a legend IMO, he should quit now or it may tarnish his reputation.
4). Matt Brown and Yves Edwards...holy shit.
5). Daron Cruickshank and Abel Trujillo both have bright futures with a little more refinement.
6). Dennis Siver is going to be real tough if he stays at 145. He's huge and crazy strong for that class.

jcross485
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Hit legs today pretty heavy and stuck to the basics.

Seated leg curls to warm up, 4 sets total, worked up to a top set to failure. 4 warm up sets of squats, 7 working sets. Then some lying leg curls s/s walking lunges, 5 sets total. Stretched quads. Ended with 3 warm up sets and 4 working sets of stiff legged deads. Stretched hams, did some ab work, and got out of there. Not a ton of variety exercise wise but really hit the basics hard.

Weighing in tomorrow morning, sending Provo my weight tracker from the weekend and Monday, and more than likely getting another calorie bump.

Hoss06
12-09-2012, 07:00 PM
What are you doing for quad stretches? Ever foam roll? I have to do it a few times a week...even then my quads lock up after doing cardio while walking back to the truck.

Jordan Coburn
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Love the R/P sets...they are a great tool, I am just not quite advanced enough to get the full benefits of DC training (IMO).

for me, R/P sets, forced negs are my fave intentsity techniques. On certain isolation moves I like drop sets as well. I know what you mean about the DC training...If i had a regular training partner that would commit to it I'd love to try a DC blast for 12 weeks, but the concept of taking every set to failure, static holds, etc. alone is somewhat daunting.

Nice looking leg day, btw!!

jcross485
12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
What are you doing for quad stretches? Ever foam roll? I have to do it a few times a week...even then my quads lock up after doing cardio while walking back to the truck.

For now, I am just doing the DC Extreme Stretches after I am done with all the quad work for the day. I actually just bought a rumble roller and one of those massage sticks as well...they're not in yet but I am going to start using them soon. Luckily, I am not doing any cardio so my legs are recovering pretty well, but anything I can do to promote recovery I will do.

for me, R/P sets, forced negs are my fave intentsity techniques. On certain isolation moves I like drop sets as well. I know what you mean about the DC training...If i had a regular training partner that would commit to it I'd love to try a DC blast for 12 weeks, but the concept of taking every set to failure, static holds, etc. alone is somewhat daunting.

Nice looking leg day, btw!!

I'm a big fan of rest/pause sets and drop sets as well. I tend to train alone on most days, getting spots here and there when needed. There is a guy at my gym who does train DC, its just our times don't match up too often.

And thank you...I figures the basics built some tree trunks on the old timers, no reason it can't work for me.

jcross485
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Sent my weight tracker to Provo. Got a response..."Hope you're hungry".

CALORIE BUMP

New Macros: 4,295Calories / 332.4 Grams of Protein / 434.5 grams of carbohydrates / 137.6 grams of fat

lksurf2
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
holy shit. that is some food!

jcross485
12-10-2012, 11:16 AM
holy shit. that is some food!

Yes sir!

When I started with Provo at the end of October, I was high 180's (188-189) or so, eating about 3000 cals on training days, 2650 on off days.

As of this morning, I was 190lbs eating almost 4000 cals on training days and about 3800 cals on off days (plus a weekly free meal and a day where I refeed on 5500+ cals)

6-7 weeks later, only 1-2lb gain, and a pretty increase in calories.

Also, started with 0 cardio...still doing 0 cardio.

Frankly, as much as I would like to see the scale go up, its kind of fun to eat this much and not get fat. Plus, if we can keep this up and add in even more, when it comes time to diet, it won't be as much of a struggle as some guys have.

The Solution
12-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Damn man! You eat 3x the amount of fat i get in a daily basis. Now that is serious grub!

Keep pounding away, only up 10 pounds with almost 1000+ Calories added? totally winning!

jcross485
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Damn man! You eat 3x the amount of fat i get in a daily basis. Now that is serious grub!

Keep pounding away, only up 10 pounds with almost 1000+ Calories added? totally winning!

Actually, only up 1-2lbs, tops.

Def winning right now!

Jordan Coburn
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM

CALORIE BUMP

New Macros: 4,295Calories / 332.4 Grams of Protein / 434.5 grams of carbohydrates / 137.6 grams of fat

I hate you so much.

lksurf2
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
asshole.

jcross485
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I hate you so much.

asshole.

Haha! I am not complaining...might have to work a little OT to afford all this food.

Also, will still be refeeding tomorrow this week with about 400g carbs post-workout instead of my normal meal of 100g. Tomorrow's cals will be around 5500 when all is said and done.

Extreme One
12-10-2012, 03:51 PM

CALORIE BUMP

Welcome to my world! Trade in your fork and spoon for a shovel. Soon we can meet up for a massive refeed feast! Seriously, nice job!

D-NUTZ
12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Yeah, screw this shit.

I'm done coming here.

Gerb
12-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Ronnie liked to say "everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift that heavy weight"... I disagree, I think everyone likes OR tries to lift the heavy weight (often to their own detriment) but I think the phrase should be "EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A BODYBUILDER BUT NO ONE WANTS TO EAT THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF FOOD REQUIRED TO GROW!!!" ... chow down bro!

jcross485
12-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Welcome to my world! Trade in your fork and spoon for a shovel. Soon we can meet up for a massive refeed feast! Seriously, nice job!

Haha thanks man!

Yeah, screw this shit.

I'm done coming here.

I wish I had your structure man...you're going to go a long way. I'm extremely jealous of that back!

Ronnie liked to say "everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift that heavy weight"... I disagree, I think everyone likes OR tries to lift the heavy weight (often to their own detriment) but I think the phrase should be "EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A BODYBUILDER BUT NO ONE WANTS TO EAT THE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF FOOD REQUIRED TO GROW!!!" ... chow down bro!

I agree to an extent. I see tons of guys, gym rats and competitors alike, who will spend hours doing leg presses, leg extensions/curls, cable rows, cable pulldowns, etc. Essentially, tons of machine work. While I'm not saying machines aren't a good tool, I just find very few people going in and hitting squats, stiff legs or reg deads, heavy BB rows, etc. I am far from the strongest guy in my gym but I do get some comments for the numbers I move considering my size (squatting 2x BW for reps, olympic style; pulling 3x BW+ from the floor).

I have been guilty in the past of not eating enough to really grow and putting a big focus on staying lean. I still don't want to baloon up body fat wise, but I am learning more and more from Provo about what my body really needs to grow, and I don't think we have even hit the peak caloric intake yet.

Gerb
12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I agree to an extent. I see tons of guys, gym rats and competitors alike, who will spend hours doing leg presses, leg extensions/curls, cable rows, cable pulldowns, etc. Essentially, tons of machine work. While I'm not saying machines aren't a good tool, I just find very few people going in and hitting squats, stiff legs or reg deads, heavy BB rows, etc. I am far from the strongest guy in my gym but I do get some comments for the numbers I move considering my size (squatting 2x BW for reps, olympic style; pulling 3x BW+ from the floor).

I have been guilty in the past of not eating enough to really grow and putting a big focus on staying lean. I still don't want to baloon up body fat wise, but I am learning more and more from Provo about what my body really needs to grow, and I don't think we have even hit the peak caloric intake yet.

I guess I am referring to BBers, not gym rats or the gym masses. Everyone I know who competes hits deads, squats, heavy incline, heavy rows, etc... but many many fail to ever improve year over year cause they don't eat enough food required to grow enough year over year to improve.

If you got a good coach (like you have), it is real simple, just keep following their plans and you don't gotta worry about anything.

jcross485
12-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I guess I am referring to BBers, not gym rats or the gym masses. Everyone I know who competes hits deads, squats, heavy incline, heavy rows, etc... but many many fail to ever improve year over year cause they don't eat enough food required to grow enough year over year to improve.

If you got a good coach (like you have), it is real simple, just keep following their plans and you don't gotta worry about anything.

I hear ya and agree. Lots of guys looking the same year in and year out. I am very happy to have a good coach in my corner now. I know I will probably put on a slight amount of fat but we have an eye on that to make sure I don't get too out of control. I am looking forward to these next several months and the gains to come before we start prepping.

Hoss06
12-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Leg day separates the men from the boys....Love me some squats

Hoss06
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
and like others....I hate you for your macros

jcross485
12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Leg day separates the men from the boys....Love me some squats

and like others....I hate you for your macros

Squats and Deads are my two fave movements...probably because thats what I am strongest in as well.

Lots of people seem to be hating on the macros. I can assure you I wish I was gaining off less food.

D-NUTZ
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Squats and Deads are my two fave movements...probably because thats what I am strongest in as well.

Lots of people seem to be hating on the macros. I can assure you I wish I was gaining off less food.

Agreed. Same here.

lksurf2
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
yeah the only problem with the amount of food is the convenience of ot during the day. It would. Have you asked Phil about maybe making one of those meals a shake instead?

jcross485
12-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Agreed. Same here.

So many muscles involved, and I find if I do a good amount of volume it actually helps my body process food more efficiently as weird as it sounds.

yeah the only problem with the amount of food is the convenience of ot during the day. It would. Have you asked Phil about maybe making one of those meals a shake instead?

I have not for a few reasons. First, I work a desk job and can eat a warm meal anytime of the day, essentially as frequently as needed, so luckily I am in a position where my career and lifestyle outside of work make it easy to get meals in. Second, even with all the food, I have not had any appetite issues whatsoever so I have been sticking primarily to whole foods. If it becomes an issue down the road, I may ask him to make a few changes but if it ain't broke, don't fix it (IMO).

Also, side bar, I have received a few comments from co-workers and even my boss that I am looking a little bigger lately. To be honest, I am not sure why I am getting the comments as my weight has hardly changed, so I am assuming it is a good thing at this point.

D-NUTZ
12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
So many muscles involved, and I find if I do a good amount of volume it actually helps my body process food more efficiently as weird as it sounds.

Not weird at all. I am the same way.

Gerb
12-12-2012, 01:06 AM

Champs power down the food and make the gains others are too lazy to make happen, keep going strong bro!

Big things ahead for you if you keep up this pace.

jcross485
12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Not weird at all. I am the same way.

Champs power down the food and make the gains others are too lazy to make happen, keep going strong bro!

Big things ahead for you if you keep up this pace.

Thanks guys! It actually is not too tough to get all the food in. I am always hungry, I am not getting too terribly bloated even come the end of the day after 6 full meals. I am feeling pretty full, my waist is not going up at all, I am feeling strong in the gym...all is going well. Hopefully the scale starts to go up a bit here soon.

jcross485
12-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Good couple of sessions this week so far. Strength is climbing steadily, but I have a long ways to go. The two national-level NPC guys caught wind that I am planning on competing next year. Both approached me today and said they're excited to see what I can do as I train my ass off for it. They both also offered their time to help w posing in person which would be a huge plus as well. My gyms owner also told me when the time comes, he will make sure to be at whatever show I do, along w the NPC guys to show their support. This is one of the reasons I LOVE my gym. Some high level competitors who are more than eager to help and support me on my first go at it.

Will be sending a weight update to Provo in the morning.

Hope everyone's training has been going well this week.

D-NUTZ
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Help with posing...nice!

Something I need lol.

Hoss06
12-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Thats great having the support!

Hows the revised macros treating you?

jcross485
12-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Help with posing...nice!

Something I need lol.

My opinion...everyone can always fine tune their posing. We always can improve on something.

Thats great having the support!

Hows the revised macros treating you?

Its an awesome atmosphere to say the least.

NO complaints about the macros thus far. I will be sending Provo my weight tracker in the morning to see where we're at. My pants aren't getting tighter in the waist. Also, I tend to judge my "conditioning" on my lower abs. I have two faint lower ab veins, almost impossible to see in pics but you can see them in person and def feel them. Since joining with Provo, I would have to say I have not gained any fat (if I have its so minimal I cannot say I have noticed) as they are still there as they were before. Strength is good and I have gotten some comments from others about appearing bigger lately which is always a good thing.

Hoss06
12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a win win!

data4
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
That's great some guys stepped up and offered to provide posing help. When someone tells you it can help your placing at a show they are right. I cringe when I see a lot of people pose. Even at national level shows often times. Little things will stand out especially when you are as shredded as Phil will have you for a show.

jcross485
12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a win win!

Absolutely!

That's great some guys stepped up and offered to provide posing help. When someone tells you it can help your placing at a show they are right. I cringe when I see a lot of people pose. Even at national level shows often times. Little things will stand out especially when you are as shredded as Phil will have you for a show.

It's a great environment to be in as far as training goes. My goal is to leave no stone un-turned. I want to add some more size and thickness/density to my upper body, then diet down nice and slow, get shredded, have my posing spot on, color spot on, etc. The "goal" is to make the judges decide who is going to be placed behind me.

I know this will be my first go of it and I am in for one hell of an experience, but I am attacking it like I used to attack my tennis matches. I played at a pretty high level but even then, I was an underdog in a lot of matches. To me, if I was stepping on court against another guy, seeded higher or lower, it didn't matter...we were both there to battle for the win. We both had an equal opportunity of walking away with the win.

In my eyes, without sounding cocky/arrogant/etc, if I am stepping on stage, I am going to do it with the mindset that I have just as good of a chance as winning as any other guy up there. This helps me mentally push for that extra rep while training and stay disciplined with my meals, sleep, etc.

lastson
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
The "goal" is to make the judges decide who is going to be placed behind me.

Love that.. kill it j, you are going to kick some ass.

Last

Hoss06
12-14-2012, 12:00 PM
I like ur mindset J. It's where it should be.
Austey made a good point on the posing. That can literally make a difference between 1st and 2nd. If ur posing is slightly off, then your placing may be as well.

Extreme One
12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Agree on the posing. It's amazing how many guys kill themselves in the gym and with their diets to get in crazy conditioning.....And their posing sucks. Suit is cut wrong. Color is off. Too much/not enough oil. Wing their routine at the night show, etc. etc etc.

D-NUTZ
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Paul Dillet comes to mind.

jcross485
12-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Love that.. kill it j, you are going to kick some ass.

Last

I like ur mindset J. It's where it should be.
Austey made a good point on the posing. That can literally make a difference between 1st and 2nd. If ur posing is slightly off, then your placing may be as well.

Agree on the posing. It's amazing how many guys kill themselves in the gym and with their diets to get in crazy conditioning.....And their posing sucks. Suit is cut wrong. Color is off. Too much/not enough oil. Wing their routine at the night show, etc. etc etc.

Paul Dillet comes to mind.

I appreciate the kind words. I love training and pushing my body to the max. I just figure if I am going to take the next step and compete, all bases need to be covered. If I am going to step on stage to show off my hard work, why show it off half-assed.

Anyways, with regards to training, will be hitting up the gym tonight after work to hit some upper body work (Chest, Arms, and some Lateral Delt/Rear Delt work), then relaxing tomorrow and CRUSHING legs on Sunday.

jcross485
12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Small change of plans this week. I started getting a little sick yesterday and woke up today with a head cold. Seems like its going around the forums. Nothing serious but I would not be able to perform at 100%. I haven't taken much time off the gym or a deload for a good 4-5 months so I'm going to take a few extra days off this week, train Mon and Thurs (lower and upper to hit everything), then get back to the grind on Sunday.

Hoss06
12-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Rest up! I know that probably isn't a easy decision....always a mental battle it seems.

lksurf2
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Feel better bro. being sucks especially for people like us on the forums who hate to miss a workouts even when we don't feel well. have your girl make you some good clean warm food and sleep.

Jordan Coburn
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Somehow this is all ian's fault. I'm sure of it.

Get well soon dude!

lksurf2
12-16-2012, 06:15 PM
>_> <_<..... COBE is one to me

jcross485
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Rest up! I know that probably isn't a easy decision....always a mental battle it seems.

Feel better bro. being sucks especially for people like us on the forums who hate to miss a workouts even when we don't feel well. have your girl make you some good clean warm food and sleep.

Get well soon dude!

Thanks guys...resting up now, heading to bed early and should be able to get about 10 hours of sleep before having to get up for work in the morning. MY girl is out of town visiting some family for the holidays for a few days as I could not get time away from work to go with, but she bought me all kinds of decaf green tea as thats my fave. She also told me to put lemon wedges in anything I drink for the next few days...don't know why, but just following orders.

Also, she told me to put some fresh garlic and fresh onion on my food, or boil some in chicken broth and drink that. I am not sure what its supposed to do, but seeing as she won't be around for a few days, I might try using some garlic and onion on my food.

lksurf2
12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Ginger root too man. helps alot with any cold/flu.

lksurf2
12-16-2012, 08:20 PM

if I can't make gains no one can!

Gerb
12-17-2012, 07:54 PM
It's a great environment to be in as far as training goes. My goal is to leave no stone un-turned. I want to add some more size and thickness/density to my upper body, then diet down nice and slow, get shredded, have my posing spot on, color spot on, etc. The "goal" is to make the judges decide who is going to be placed behind me.

I know this will be my first go of it and I am in for one hell of an experience, but I am attacking it like I used to attack my tennis matches. I played at a pretty high level but even then, I was an underdog in a lot of matches. To me, if I was stepping on court against another guy, seeded higher or lower, it didn't matter...we were both there to battle for the win. We both had an equal opportunity of walking away with the win.

In my eyes, without sounding cocky/arrogant/etc, if I am stepping on stage, I am going to do it with the mindset that I have just as good of a chance as winning as any other guy up there. This helps me mentally push for that extra rep while training and stay disciplined with my meals, sleep, etc.

You are going to do well bro. Just remember, every show and prep is just one step in a long journey. As you reach new levels, if you keep an honest and level headed attitude, you'll both be able to look back at how far you have come show to show and also look forward to how far you still have to go. Will be fun watching you prep next year.

... and the attitude about feeling you got just as much of a chance as the next guy is the only way, when the show is over, you can look at pictures, and film and be objective, but while in battle, 100% confidence is the only way.

jcross485
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Ginger root too man. helps alot with any cold/flu.

if I can't make gains no one can!

Haha thanks! I am still feeling a bit under the weather but fighting through it.

You are going to do well bro. Just remember, every show and prep is just one step in a long journey. As you reach new levels, if you keep an honest and level headed attitude, you'll both be able to look back at how far you have come show to show and also look forward to how far you still have to go. Will be fun watching you prep next year.

... and the attitude about feeling you got just as much of a chance as the next guy is the only way, when the show is over, you can look at pictures, and film and be objective, but while in battle, 100% confidence is the only way.

Coming from a seasoned competitor such as yourself, I appreciate the kind words. I must say, I still see my many, many areas to improve (aka everything), however I know I am in good hands nutrition-wise and I train hard as hell. I am not trying to be over-confident, arrogant, or cocky...I just am a true competitor at heart with just about everything I do. If I take on a challenge, I give it 100% and leave no stone unturned. I hate losing more than anything; but at the same token, if I feel I have learned something or improved myself as a person, I don't consider it failure.

jcross485
12-17-2012, 10:20 PM
So still feeling quite a bit under the weather, but I decided to go into the gym to train legs anyways. I went in with the intention of getting a good pump, getting some blood moving, and getting out to rest. Thats not exactly what happened.

HS Seated Leg Curls: 3 warm-up sets of 8, 1 all out set to failure (10 reps), followed by 25 partials out of the stretch position.

BB Squats (Olympic Style; narrow stance, literally ass to calves): 4 warm-up sets; 390x3 (100%; probably would have failed if I tried another rep); 350x3,3,3 (90% of max effort set); 310x6,6,6 (80% of max effort set); 275x10,10,10 (70% of max effort set)

Lying Leg Curls s/s Walking Lunges: 100x8 (15 steps/leg); 180x8,8,8 (15 steps/leg after each set); no rest between sets.

DC Quad Stretch

SLDL: 2 warm-up sets of 6; 345x6, 355x6, 365x6

DB Ham Stretch

Was sweating profusely with 30 mins of starting; not sure if its legit or not but I feel like I was sweating some of this cold out of me. Just relaxing the rest of the night, slamming a ton of my decaf green tea w/ some lemon wedges, and getting some food prepped.

Hoss06
12-17-2012, 10:32 PM
There goes any ego I had about my squat weight today...ill be in the corner if needed

lastson
12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
There goes any ego I had about my squat weight today...ill be in the corner if needed

No kidding I feel like a girl now, nice work

The Solution
12-18-2012, 05:36 AM
No walk in the park in here. That is big time work.

Jordan Coburn
12-18-2012, 08:18 AM
So still feeling quite a bit under the weather, but I decided to go into the gym to train legs anyways. I went in with the intention of getting a good pump, getting some blood moving, and getting out to rest. Thats not exactly what happened.

HS Seated Leg Curls: 3 warm-up sets of 8, 1 all out set to failure (10 reps), followed by 25 partials out of the stretch position.

BB Squats (Olympic Style; narrow stance, literally ass to calves): 4 warm-up sets; 390x3 (100%; probably would have failed if I tried another rep); 350x3,3,3 (90% of max effort set); 310x6,6,6 (80% of max effort set); 275x10,10,10 (70% of max effort set)

Lying Leg Curls s/s Walking Lunges: 100x8 (15 steps/leg); 180x8,8,8 (15 steps/leg after each set); no rest between sets.

DC Quad Stretch

SLDL: 2 warm-up sets of 6; 345x6, 355x6, 365x6

DB Ham Stretch

Was sweating profusely with 30 mins of starting; not sure if its legit or not but I feel like I was sweating some of this cold out of me. Just relaxing the rest of the night, slamming a ton of my decaf green tea w/ some lemon wedges, and getting some food prepped.

Nice job buddy!! Way to get ignorant in the rack!

Extreme One
12-18-2012, 08:41 AM
That's some nice weight right there! Do we have the next Johnnie Jackson? BB/Powerlifter?

jcross485
12-18-2012, 09:58 AM

No need man...the work you put in is flat out insane!

No kidding I feel like a girl now, nice work

Thanks man!

No walk in the park in here. That is big time work.

Thanks! Just trying to put in the work day in and day out.

Nice job buddy!! Way to get ignorant in the rack!

Not going to lie...it was brutal and my quads and hams are really feeling it today. Actually, my adductors are KILLING me.

That's some nice weight right there! Do we have the next Johnnie Jackson? BB/Powerlifter?

Honestly, guys like him and Stan Efferding I really admire. The only problem is I am FAR from the level of strength and physique development that I would like to be at...just putting in work to get there. Also, guys like Shelby, John Meadows, essentially anyone who focuses on the big PL moves and getting brutally strong while following a BB type diet and doing some assistance work to complete the look are who I aspire to emulate.

lksurf2
12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
this!

damn dude that is some fucking hard ass work. would not expect less than that from you.

jcross485
12-18-2012, 05:34 PM
this!

damn dude that is some fucking hard ass work. would not expect less than that from you.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I am just trying to work my ass off and grow before its time to pull the reigns in and start prepping.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I have decided that once I finalize my new split where I am hitting things with a bit more frequency, should be sometime this weekend, I am going to make it a point to post up all workouts to keep myself accountable.

Jordan Coburn
12-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I am just trying to work my ass off and grow before its time to pull the reigns in and start prepping.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I have decided that once I finalize my new split where I am hitting things with a bit more frequency, should be sometime this weekend, I am going to make it a point to post up all workouts to keep myself accountable.

Can't wait to see the new program dude. With the intensity you bring to the gym I expect nothing less than some ignorant ass insanity :)

Gerb
12-18-2012, 11:10 PM
So still feeling quite a bit under the weather, but I decided to go into the gym to train legs anyways.

understatement, way to kill it

jcross485
12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Can't wait to see the new program dude. With the intensity you bring to the gym I expect nothing less than some ignorant ass insanity :)

Thanks...thats the goal! Only way I can get this ecto frame growing is to push the limits every single session.

understatement, way to kill it

Thanks man!

I thought my legs were pretty sore yesterday from Monday's beat down...yesterday was a walk in the park compared to today. My hams are beat to hell...but no joint pain or "bad" aches, just deep muscle soreness. It just goes to show that sometimes killing just a few basic movements can get the job done.

jcross485
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Hit Calves, Chest, and Back today...will hit Shoulders and Arms on Friday to round out the week, then as of Sunday, will be starting my new split which I will post more about before then.

My pressing strength is my biggest weakness and besides Deads, my back isn't all that strong either.

Seated Calf Raises: 2 warm-up sets; 140x8,8,8

Incline BB Bench Press: 5 warm-up sets; 240x3; 215x3,3,3

Incline DB Bench Press: 2 warm-up sets; 105x5,5,5

Incline DB Flye: 1 warm-up set; 50x8,8,8

One-Arm DB Row: 3 warm-up sets; 130x9

Underhand BB Row: 2 warm-up sets; 235x6,6,6,6

Close-Grip Pullup: 1 warm-up set; BWx8,8,8

Hoss06
12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
My pressing strength is my biggest weakness

Ur a BB'r, not a PL right? Your body doesn't know if you're pressing 105lb DB vs 120lb....you mentioned you have great MMC, so the weight will come with it as you progress....IMO.

jcross485
12-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Ur a BB'r, not a PL right? Your body doesn't know if you're pressing 105lb DB vs 120lb....you mentioned you have great MMC, so the weight will come with it as you progress....IMO.

I agree. I would say I have a really good MMC when it comes to Legs and Back and a pretty good/decent MMC on Chest, Arms, Shoulders. I think thats a big reason as to why my Back and Legs are not necessarily standout body parts but they are more developed than my Chest, Arms, and Shoulders.

I am not a PL and I am def aspiring to compete in BB...however I do believe that, to an extent, it is important to make strength gains to make muscular gains as well. There are other factors to making muscle gains and hypertrophy but I figure there aren't too many guys who are moving serious weight for reps who are small.

D-NUTZ
12-20-2012, 12:32 PM
i agree. I would say i have a really good mmc when it comes to legs and back and a pretty good/decent mmc on chest, arms, shoulders. I think thats a big reason as to why my back and legs are not necessarily standout body parts but they are more developed than my chest, arms, and shoulders.

I am not a pl and i am def aspiring to compete in bb...however i do believe that, to an extent, it is important to make strength gains to make muscular gains as well. There are other factors to making muscle gains and hypertrophy but i figure there aren't too many guys who are moving serious weight for reps who are small.

qft

Hoss06
12-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree...strength will come as the days progress...no doubt on that. Not that you aren't already strong (390lb squats!) but I'm sure you want to be just as strong in other areas like you are on legs.

jcross485
12-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I agree...strength will come as the days progress...no doubt on that. Not that you aren't already strong (390lb squats!) but I'm sure you want to be just as strong in other areas like you are on legs.

I agree 100%. My strength on squats and deads is disproportionately high compared to my upper body strength. I would love to bring that upper body strength up to par w/ the rest. Thanks man!

D-NUTZ
12-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I agree 100%. My strength on squats and deads is disproportionately high compared to my upper body strength. I would love to bring that upper body strength up to par w/ the rest. Thanks man!

Yup. We're brothers.

Jordan Coburn
12-20-2012, 02:23 PM

i'm not a big fan of the movment pewrsonally, but john meadows youtube page has some cool vids of reverse band inclines/flat benches...might be worth trying get your body used to handling heavier poundages. Either way thats a damn fine workout!

D-NUTZ
12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
i'm not a big fan of the movment pewrsonally, but john meadows youtube page has some cool vids of reverse band inclines/flat benches...might be worth trying get your body used to handling heavier poundages. Either way thats a damn fine workout!

They work for me (from a muscle building perspective).

jcross485
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Ill have to try those banded or chained presses for sure!

Hit Arms, Shoulders yesterday. Phil sent me an arm setup and it blew my bis and tris UP! My arms measure a measly 16.25" right now, measured them post workout just for the heck of it and they were well over 17"! Had some vascularity showing through as well in both bis and tris which is rare for me.

I also did some giant sets for delts at the end...Face Pulls -> Rear DB Laterals -> Machine Laterals -> DB Laterals. HUGE HUGE pump, did 4 rounds after a warmup round.

Resting up today and going to post up my new split. I took a few things I have noticed that worked in the past for me and tried to incorporate as many of those tools and techniques as possible.

D-NUTZ
12-22-2012, 12:43 PM
If 16.25 is measly then I have twigs lol.

The Solution
12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Isn't Phil doing your training or are you giving him ideas that worked for you and he changes it?

jcross485
12-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Phil is in full control of all diet/nutrition, I have always done my own training but I may be turning that over to Phil as well come prep time.

lastson
12-22-2012, 09:10 PM
If 16.25 is measly then I have twigs lol.

I'm not going to lie.. after reading.this I had to go measure my arms :(

J, have a great Christmas, get some rest and come back a kill it.. can't wait to see what you and Phil have planned for next year

Last

jcross485
12-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks man!

Not making too many drastic changes nutritionally now. Got some pics I need to get up and sent to Phil as well so we can see where we're at.

jcross485
12-26-2012, 05:46 PM
I hope everyone had a great holiday...back to work now.

So as I mentioned, I have revamped my training based on some things I have noticed have worked and have not worked. I'm just going to sum up my observations as it should provide some rationale to what I am doing training wise.

Observations:
- Chest/Back/Legs seem to respond to best to higher frequency training (2x every 7-8 days)
- My Shoulders looked best hitting a rear delt movement supersetted with a side delt movement for 3-4 sets, 3x/week at the end of a workout
- My arms are stubborn as hell and only seem to respond to training them 1x/week with more volume and supersetting Triceps/Biceps to get a good amount of blood into them
- I can train with moderate volume and make progress as long as failure is kept to a minimum
- I can train to all out failure and make progress but volume must be kept much, much lower
- My Squat numbers seem to progress when mixing heavy work with speed work
- My Bench does not seem to respond to lower % speed work
- My Deadlift numbers seem to stay strongest with deadlifting heavy 1x every other week or every 3rd week
- My body seems to respond to some John Meadows principles (horizontal pulling/rowing before vertical pulling/stretching, hitting hams first to warmup legs, minimal overhead pressing, etc.)

These observations have more or less formed the basis of my training. There are a few other things I am implementing based on others experiences as well to bring up 2 of my biggest weaknesses: chest and back width. I will be doing 50 pushups every single morning as well as every single night. Also, every single workout will start with 30 pullups supersetted with 50 pushups in various rep/set schemes.

I am about to leave my office here today but I will post more later tonight or tomorrow about the specific split, exercise selections, rep/set schemes, etc.

jcross485
12-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Also, side note, weight is up to 193.0lbs this morning but may be partly due to holiday bloat. Will be taking some pics at the end of the week.

D-NUTZ
12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
I've noticed a lot of those same observations...especially the hams before everything else on leg day and minimal shoulder pressing.

jcross485
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Weight is 193.2lbs

D-NUTZ
12-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Never been jealous of anyone's quads before (aside from top level bb'ers)....you changed that sir. Good thickness.

If you can get some more hams to match then, lights out from the waist down.

I'd continue hammering back and shoulder. Seems like your waist is a bit "blocky" so you want all the width you can get.

Still lean too.

lastson
12-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Damn J, looking good.. keeping nice and lean..

Agree with D.. quads are great, more hamie and back width and your good to go.

How tall are you again ? And you.don't look like any of the tennis players I know..lol

Hoss06
12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
I echo on the hammies! Bring those up and you'll be in a much better position.

Jordan Coburn
12-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Looking good brother! I'll be interested to see how you respond to the new split!

The Solution
12-27-2012, 12:03 PM

Agree, also in the side chest seems like you could bring those up or your delts (roundness) to round off your physique.

Provo82
12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
i love the high rep rear delt stuff meadows has me doing, yea could use a bit more hammy and if you build the inner ham/adductor area the quads will look even bigger then they already are. back is still dumb lean. i told him in my email that his abs maybe holding a bit of bloat but it looks like its from the holiday meal and if not its not even a big deal hes more then lean still

Extreme One
12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Condition looks great. Definitely can use some more "roundness" to delts and arms for more of that 3D look. Super quads but can improve on hams. Agree with the waist being a tad blocky....Good call on the added chins. Bigger lats = an illusion of a smaller waist. All in all super progress. Keep it up!

Extreme One
12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I hope everyone had a great holiday...back to work now.

So as I mentioned, I have revamped my training based on some things I have noticed have worked and have not worked. I'm just going to sum up my observations as it should provide some rationale to what I am doing training wise.

Observations:
- Chest/Back/Legs seem to respond to best to higher frequency training (2x every 7-8 days)
- My Shoulders looked best hitting a rear delt movement supersetted with a side delt movement for 3-4 sets, 3x/week at the end of a workout
- My arms are stubborn as hell and only seem to respond to training them 1x/week with more volume and supersetting Triceps/Biceps to get a good amount of blood into them
- I can train with moderate volume and make progress as long as failure is kept to a minimum
- I can train to all out failure and make progress but volume must be kept much, much lower
- My Squat numbers seem to progress when mixing heavy work with speed work
- My Bench does not seem to respond to lower % speed work
- My Deadlift numbers seem to stay strongest with deadlifting heavy 1x every other week or every 3rd week
- My body seems to respond to some John Meadows principles (horizontal pulling/rowing before vertical pulling/stretching, hitting hams first to warmup legs, minimal overhead pressing, etc.)

These observations have more or less formed the basis of my training. There are a few other things I am implementing based on others experiences as well to bring up 2 of my biggest weaknesses: chest and back width. I will be doing 50 pushups every single morning as well as every single night. Also, every single workout will start with 30 pullups supersetted with 50 pushups in various rep/set schemes.

I am about to leave my office here today but I will post more later tonight or tomorrow about the specific split, exercise selections, rep/set schemes, etc.

Love this! Break everything down and record it. That's how you figure out what works and doesn't. As time goes by you will end up with a mish mash of different techniques, rep ranges, training methods for different body parts. It will and should make no sense to anyone but you.

jcross485
12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Never been jealous of anyone's quads before (aside from top level bb'ers)....you changed that sir. Good thickness.

If you can get some more hams to match then, lights out from the waist down.

I'd continue hammering back and shoulder. Seems like your waist is a bit "blocky" so you want all the width you can get.

Still lean too.

Thank you sir...I appreciate the feedback! Quads are from Squats, Squats, Squats.

Damn J, looking good.. keeping nice and lean..

How tall are you again ? And you.don't look like any of the tennis players I know..lol

Haha...I am not a tennis player anymore but I like to tell people that to see their reaction. Thanks for the feedback. I'm about 5'10" for the record.

I echo on the hammies! Bring those up and you'll be in a much better position.

Thanks!! Hammering away at them for sure.

Looking good brother! I'll be interested to see how you respond to the new split!

Thanks a lot! I have a feeling I will be responding well as its a combo of things that have worked in the past.

Agree, also in the side chest seems like you could bring those up or your delts (roundness) to round off your physique.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really appreciate it. A national level NPC guy from my gym told me Back, Shoulders, and Legs can win a show so I am hammering away at all of them.

i love the high rep rear delt stuff meadows has me doing, yea could use a bit more hammy and if you build the inner ham/adductor area the quads will look even bigger then they already are. back is still dumb lean. i told him in my email that his abs maybe holding a bit of bloat but it looks like its from the holiday meal and if not its not even a big deal hes more then lean still

I have been doing a lot of rear delt work lately so I hope they come up. I have been squatting close-stance lately so I will have to incorporate some more wider-stance squats to hit that inner area as well. Def working on hams as they have always lagged behind my quads. Thanks Coach!!!

Condition looks great. Definitely can use some more "roundness" to delts and arms for more of that 3D look. Super quads but can improve on hams. Agree with the waist being a tad blocky....Good call on the added chins. Bigger lats = an illusion of a smaller waist. All in all super progress. Keep it up!

I appreciate this my man! I told Phil earlier that I know my genetics or structure aren't "ideal", but not many of us do and its out of my control so I won't complain about it...just bust my ass to build the best look that I can. I appreciate the feedback!

Love this! Break everything down and record it. That's how you figure out what works and doesn't. As time goes by you will end up with a mish mash of different techniques, rep ranges, training methods for different body parts. It will and should make no sense to anyone but you.

Exactly! My hope is that now, with some past experience training with different programs, I can put something together that is custom for myself. However, I will never stop learning and tweaking things to make them "optimal".

jcross485
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
From the feedback, it seems like I really need to make sure I bring up my back width, shoulders, arms, and hams. I will be making sure that I have a very focused effort on those things so I can make my physique more complete.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!

Jordan Coburn
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
I appreciate this my man! I told Phil earlier that I know my genetics or structure aren't "ideal", but not many of us do and its out of my control so I won't complain about it...just bust my ass to build the best look that I can. I appreciate the feedback!

Great attitude man! All you can control is how you train and how you eat. Beyond reacting to how you respond to the two of those variables, everything else is pretty much all genetics. I always "lol" when I when I see videos of pros saying about how they train for "quality and detail" or some other ridiculousl broscience bull shit. Sigh.

I agree with most of the other critiques. Chest, arms, hams. Keep pounding away!

jcross485
12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks a lot man! Just trying to do work, both in the gym and in the kitchen.

jcross485
12-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Just a little training update...today was a heavy, max effort lower body day w/ the big movement of the day being Deads. Warmed up and decided to do heavy singles w/ short rest periods (15 breaths between sets TOPS); I think there are videos floating around of Layne Norton and Antoine doing something similar. Ended up hitting 500 for 15 singles, failed on the 16th. Finished with some additional quad and ham work, hit abs at the end. Training is going well, feeling strong.

Hoss06
12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
500 dead for 15? Impressive man....that's A LOT of weight ur pulling...standard grip or do you do one over and one under?

lastson
12-29-2012, 07:44 AM
Feeling strong would be an understatement with 500 x 15, nice work..

Last

bushmaster
12-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Feeling strong would be an understatement with 500 x 15, nice work..

Last

Its 500 x 15 singles. Still good work though but not to be confused with 500x15. Totally different.

bushmaster
12-29-2012, 08:40 AM
500 dead for 15? Impressive man....that's A LOT of weight ur pulling...standard grip or do you do one over and one under?

I hope all over. Alternating grip is high risk for bicep tears.

Hoss06
12-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Its 500 x 15 singles. Still good work though but not to be confused with 500x15. Totally different.

I'm confused. I must be thinking 500lbs for 15 reps.
Can you explain the differences for me?

Hoss06
12-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Didn't know that...but since you mentioned it, I could feel that difference in the grip now.

lksurf2
12-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Maybe 15 total pulls. not just a straight set of 15 reps.... just guessing though

bushmaster
12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe 15 total pulls. not just a straight set of 15 reps.... just guessing though

Yes 1 pull then 15sec rest then another.

jcross485
12-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, it wasn't a straight set of 15...that would have been insane! I did 15 singles of 500 w/ pretty short rest periods, 15 breaths between pulls TOPS. My whole body is feeling it today though.

Also, I do double-overhand for that exact reason. I can pull slightly more doing an over/under grip but when looking at risk vs reward, to me it's just not worth risking an bad injury for a few extra lbs at this point.

Hoss06
12-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the clarification on that...still impressive weight IMO.

jcross485
12-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I'd say at the beginning, it was probably about 40-45 secs between reps as I could focus on my breathing and take big, long, deep breaths between reps. Towards the end the time between def got shorter, down to about 20-25 secs as I was getting gassed and was sucking wind and had a harder time slowing my breathing down because I was just trying to get some oxygen in me.

lastson
12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Didn't know that...but since you mentioned it, I could feel that difference in the grip now.

I was always told to do over hand for the same reason, but was taught how to dead lift traing for cleans also..

Have you seen the vids of strongmen doing clean and press using an alt. Grip, then switching at the top ? Just looks scary..

Yes 1 pull then 15sec rest then another.

Yes, yes still a good set.. I know I couldn't do it.

My queston is what has better results ? Heavy singles done in the above fashion, a lighter straight set or a lighter set with the slow neg(say 5 count) ?

The slow neg on deads kinda scares me unless the weight is pretty light but I've only ever done them warming up..

jcross485
12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys! I didn't mean to cause any confusion or mislead anyone...I will say though that I would love to pull 500 for more than 10 in a straight set one day. My entire back side from my neck to my ankles is feeling it today.

D-NUTZ
12-29-2012, 11:06 AM

This

I also think doing over/under caused a lat imbalance for me too. My under side is smaller than my over.

As for the multiple singles, I did something similar with rack deads a few weeks ago (may have to do it again today lol). Threw on a weight that would have been around a 3 rep max...and did 10 singles with about 10 second in between pulls.

It was pretty rough.

The Solution
12-29-2012, 11:13 AM
I have also seen and heard a underhand grip for barbell rows = high intention for bicep tear as well. Have read a lot of horror stories about it, hence why i stray from it.

Im pretty sure J did sets like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J1jWa1-pvk
5J1jWa1-pvk

bushmaster
12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I have also seen and heard a underhand grip for barbell rows = high intention for bicep tear as well. Have read a lot of horror stories about it, hence why i stray from it.

5J1jWa1-pvk

Absolutely. Any compound lift supinated puts the biceps at risk. Remember the bicep is a small flexor muscle not meant to bare a workload that big.

jcross485
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM
This is very much what I did yesterday. I will say my rest periods were a little shorter but nonetheless, it was nowhere near 585.

Hoss06
12-29-2012, 03:02 PM

5J1jWa1-pvk

I do O/H BB rows, b/c I feel it targets the lats more and helps takes some of the bicep work out.

lastson
12-29-2012, 03:10 PM
I do O/H BB rows, b/c I feel it targets the lats more and helps takes some of the bicep work out.

I do both over and under, why ? Because I'm told too..

I don't go nearly as heavy under hand, but feel both movements

D-NUTZ
12-29-2012, 04:20 PM
^^ I do the same (but I tend to only do underhand on the smith).

lastson
01-01-2013, 08:56 AM
^^ I do the same (but I tend to only do underhand on the smith).

I would think underhand on a smith would be much safer, with the controlled motion..

Happy New Year J, good lichen this.year hitting the stage..

Hoss06
01-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Happy New Years sir! I hope for only the best of things for u and yours!

jcross485
01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

Crushed legs yesterday morning at 5:30 before work. Resting today and back on the grind tomorrow.

lksurf2
01-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Happy New Year to you to man!

jcross485
01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
So I promise to be more detailed with my log as of the weekend...things are still hectic from the holidays and its my mom and step-dad's 20th anniversary this weekend so I am taking them out to eat.

Sent Phil my weight tracker and a list of shows I am looking at. Haven't gotten anything finalized as of yet...but starting to get the shows picked out now.

Training is going well...slowly getting stronger and putting on a few lbs here and there. Will be taking more pics in another week or so to see where we're at.

Hoss06
01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Are you looking at this summer to compete?

jcross485
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Are you looking at this summer to compete?

Phil mentioned one thats in May down by him which would be fun I'm sure, but I am thinking more like Late Sept - October so I can make a bit more progress and bring up some weaker areas (aka everything).

Extreme One
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Happy New Year! Lots of good shows in the Northeast in the Sept. - October time frame.

The Solution
01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Any shows in mind??

jcross485
01-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. I have a small list of about 5 in the fall but have not decided on anything concrete yet. 3 of them would not require any type of overnight travel, 2 would. I talked to the Mrs. last night a bit about it and were going to sit down this weekend, look at our travel plans for the year as we have a few things already scheduled, and essentially decide from there. She is supportive of the idea of competing earlier, but me personally, I'd really like just a few more months to try and squeeze out some extra gains so my weak points aren't so glaring.

Jordan Coburn
01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys. I have a small list of about 5 in the fall but have not decided on anything concrete yet. 3 of them would not require any type of overnight travel, 2 would. I talked to the Mrs. last night a bit about it and were going to sit down this weekend, look at our travel plans for the year as we have a few things already scheduled, and essentially decide from there. She is supportive of the idea of competing earlier, but me personally, I'd really like just a few more months to try and squeeze out some extra gains so my weak points aren't so glaring.

I'm excited to see what your plans are...you're in good hands either way!

jcross485
01-07-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm excited to see what your plans are...you're in good hands either way!

Thanks man! Talked it over w the girl, the plan is to hit 2 shows in the fall. Still trying to figure out which two but as soon as I decide I will let you guys know.

Starting this week, I will be meeting with a pretty high level competitor 1x a week for 30 mins for posing practice and instruction. I will also be posing on my own an additional 30 mins 2x a week. I don't want to leave any stones unturned.

Hoss06
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Good for you for getting a head start on posing. As said before, it can make a world of difference in regards to placing.

jcross485
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
So as promised, here is my updated split:

Sunday: RE/DE Upper
Monday: DE/RE Lower
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: ME Upper
Thursday: OFF
Friday: ME Lower
Saturday: OFF

jcross485
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
On Sunday and Monday, I have had some great workouts.

Sunday, 1/6:

Seated Calf Raise: 2 warmup sets; 3x10 (last set was a double drop set, 10 reps each drop)

Incline BB Bench Press: 3 warmup sets; 3x6@80% 3rm; 1xFail@80% 3rm

Incline HS Bench Press: 2 warmup sets; 4x8

DeadStop DB Row: 3 warmup sets; 1x15

Seated Cable Row: 1 warmup set; 3x8

Weighted Underhand Pullup: 1 warmup set; 4x5

Dips s/s HS Preacher Curl: 1 warmup set; 4x8

Delt Complex (Face Pull --> Rear DB Swing --> Standing Machine Lateral --> DB Lateral --> Over And Back): 1 warmup set; 3x10 (10 reps for each movement; 3 rounds)

Monday:

HS Seated Leg Curl: 3 warmup sets; 1x10; 1x18

Squat: 10x3@55% 3rm

Leg Press: So I was going to do a few warmups, then 3x10. Ended up doing sets of 10, starting w/ 1 plate/side until I could not get 10 reps, then all the way back down to 1 plate/side. Did this w/ minimal rest (only enough time to get up, add a plate to each side, and keep going)...looked like this...
1 plate x 10
2 plates x 10
3 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 10
7 plates x 10
8 plates x 10
9 plates x 9 (failure)
8 plates x 10
7 plates x 10
6 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
3 plates x 10
2 plates x 10
1 plate x 10

***Quad Pump was out of control; Teardrop actually burning***

Lying Leg Curl s/s Walking Lunges: 1 warmup set; 3x15 (15 leg curls s/s 15 steps per leg)

HyperExtension: 3x20

Hanging Leg Raise (Lower Abs) --> Decline Crunch --> Cable Crunch: 3 x 15 (15 reps of each movement)

Hoss06
01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
holy quad pump!

Jordan Coburn
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Leg Press Brutality!!

Good job J!

jcross485
01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
holy quad pump!

Leg Press Brutality!!

Good job J!

Thanks guys! Next week will be something similar but more ham focused.

The Solution
01-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Now that is a hell of an idea for a finisher!

jcross485
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Now that is a hell of an idea for a finisher!

Absolutely. I train with a mix of techniques...sometimes trying to push strength, sometimes trying to push as much blood into a muscle as possible.

I don't think there is one superior training method as opposed to another. Everything can work so I think its best to incorporate a variety of rep ranges, techniques, etc.

jcross485
01-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Wednesday, 1/9

Vertical Leg Press Calf Raise: 2 warmup sets; 3x10 (double drop set on last set)

Flat BB Bench Press: lots of warmup sets; Max Effort triple (270x3); 3x3@90%

Incline DB Bench Press: 2 warmup sets; 3x6

Overhand BB Row: 2 warmup sets; 4x6

Close-Grip Pullup: 1 warmup set; 3x8 (drop set on last set)

CGBP: 3 warmup sets; Max Effort 5rm (215x5); 3x5@90%

DB Hammer Curl: 2 warmup sets; 3x6

Delt Complex (Face Pull --> Rear DB Swing --> Standing Machine Lateral --> DB Lateral --> Over And Back): 1 warmup set; 3x8 (8 reps for each movement; 3 rounds)

Friday, 1/11

HS Seated Leg Curl: 3 warmup sets; 3x10

Squat: lots of warmup sets; Max Effort triple (405x3; olympic stance); 3x3@90%; 3x6@80%

Lying Leg Curl s/s Walking Lunge: 1 warmup set; 3x8 (15 steps per leg)

Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 2 warmup sets; 3x6

AB WORK

Hoss06
01-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Good stuff man!