PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco or Santa Barbara?

Effort
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Are there any good hardcore gyms in SF or SB?

Effort
01-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Are there any good hardcore gyms in SF or SB?

Or even any good lifting gyms?

sassy69
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
If you're in the city, SF Golds is decent. Plan on a bit of the gay population but I know a number of people who train there, as I recall, including IFBB Pro FBB Kristy Hawkins. There's not a lot in terms of "hardcore" in the north bay area. A bit if you get down to San Jose, but generally decent gyms but not really hardcore.

I used to train in the San Mateo / Redwood City area - the 24 Hour Fitness in San Carlos has DBs that go to 140. The PowerHouse In Redwood City goes to 150.

Effort
01-29-2013, 12:15 AM
If you're in the city, SF Golds is decent. Plan on a bit of the gay population but I know a number of people who train there, as I recall, including IFBB Pro FBB Kristy Hawkins. There's not a lot in terms of "hardcore" in the north bay area. A bit if you get down to San Jose, but generally decent gyms but not really hardcore.

I used to train in the San Mateo / Redwood City area - the 24 Hour Fitness in San Carlos has DBs that go to 140. The PowerHouse In Redwood City goes to 150.

Cool- thanks! I just looked up the Gold's. It changed hands...I'll have to look into it. I wish I had use for DBs that heavy, but given that one of those weighs more than me, that isn't my biggest concern at the moment ;) I'm just sick of going to a gym where 99% of the weight equipment is selectorized machines :/

sassy69
01-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Actually I had forgotten that Crunch Fitness came in & bought a set of about 7 Gold's that were part of a franchise. I haven't been up to the city to train in a number of years so its possible that was one of them. I trained at the Crunch Fitness in San Mateo - very nice gym. They didn't change much from the Golds, so chances are its about the same. The DBs don't go up as high - probably around 100 as an upper end, but very nice gym.

gmk6350
03-15-2017, 12:38 AM
World Gym in San Francisco is the last of the hardcore bodybuilding friendly gyms. Great equipment and many NPC and a few IFBB Pros train there. Phil Health has dropped in a time or two, also "The Rock" trains here when visiting.