PDA

View Full Version : Arachidonic acid and nsaids

kratos47
06-13-2009, 04:53 AM
ok so i know that nsaids can effect gains cause it inhibits the inflamation needed to signal protien synthesis and that it also has a few other properties that can affect gains. my question is can someone who takes nsaids on a regular bases use arachidonic acid to counter act the effects of the nsaids? i remember ready something about this but wasnt sure. let me know what u guys think or if u know of any studies about this.

G-Roy
06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
ok so i know that nsaids can effect gains cause it inhibits the inflamation needed to signal protien synthesis and that it also has a few other properties that can affect gains. my question is can someone who takes nsaids on a regular bases use arachidonic acid to counter act the effects of the nsaids? i remember ready something about this but wasnt sure. let me know what u guys think or if u know of any studies about this.

http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/weight_training_ibuprofen_or_acetaminophen_helps_i ncrease_muscle_mass

freak
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.scientificblogging.com/news_releases/weight_training_ibuprofen_or_acetaminophen_helps_i ncrease_muscle_mass
"Thirty-six men and women, between 60 and 78 years of age (average age 65), were randomly assigned to daily dosages of either ibuprofen (such as that in Advil), acetaminophen (such as that in Tylenol), or a placebo."

if you are a senior citizen, research shows it enhances recovery... i dont think this is applicable to the OP as i dont think he is anywhere near 65.

freak
06-13-2009, 02:22 PM
nsaids block production of prostaglandins and thromboxanes so unless arachidonic acid promotes production of this then i dont see how it will help... i thought arachidonic acid was a fat burner??

kratos47
06-13-2009, 02:27 PM
i've read that arachidonic acid is a pro inflammatory. so i thought that it could counter act the effects of the nsaids

kratos47
06-13-2009, 02:30 PM

wow thats really intresting. even big dave had commented on how he thought nsaids would inhibit growth. might be intresting to see what he has to say about it

natron
06-13-2009, 06:07 PM
i've read that arachidonic acid is a pro inflammatory. so i thought that it could counter act the effects of the nsaids

You logic here is flawed. Take an anti-inflammatory(which is were the pain relief comes from), then counter act it with a pro inflammatory???

This is a horrible idea, sort of like killing a cocaine high with vodka.

freak
06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
You logic here is flawed. Take an anti-inflammatory(which is were the pain relief comes from), then counter act it with a pro inflammatory???

thats what i was thinking but i didnt say anything cause i dont know fuck all about archidonic acid or whatever the fuck it is. i remember debate over it tho.. people were saying it isnt good for you.

Frosty
06-13-2009, 11:19 PM
wow thats really intresting. even big dave had commented on how he thought nsaids would inhibit growth. might be intresting to see what he has to say about it

Probably because they had chronic inflammation, which is bad for muscle growth. Control chronic inflammation and that promotes hypertrophy. But if you suppress inflammation when you don't have chronic inflammation, then that would hinder hypertrophy.

Frosty
06-13-2009, 11:21 PM
people were saying it isnt good for you.

It's an EFA, so it's only SLIGHTLY necessary :)

Inflammation isn't bad. People tag the omega-6 fats as "bad" because they're inflammatory. Inflammation is necessary and healthy when controlled, so it's stupid to consider AA or any omega-6 fat as patently "bad."

Frosty
06-13-2009, 11:22 PM
My question is, why would you regularly use NSAIDs? That's quite unhealthy.

kratos47
06-14-2009, 04:51 AM

its not MY logic dude. it was just a question. i just thought it would be an intresting discussion. i know that tylenols anti inflamation is what helps with pain. but say someone has to take vicodin for chronic pain but wants to counter act the tylenol. its for discussion perposes

freak
06-14-2009, 05:45 AM
It's an EFA, so it's only SLIGHTLY necessary :)

Inflammation isn't bad. People tag the omega-6 fats as "bad" because they're inflammatory. Inflammation is necessary and healthy when controlled, so it's stupid to consider AA or any omega-6 fat as patently "bad."
like i said before, i dont know fuck all about it. just stated what the people were saying about it... or i could be thinking of something else, it was in dave's fat burner.

Frosty
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
like i said before, i dont know fuck all about it. just stated what the people were saying about it... or i could be thinking of something else, it was in dave's fat burner.

I think you're thinking of usnic acid. Totally different. Arachidonic acid is an essential fat.

natron
06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
its not MY logic dude. it was just a question. i just thought it would be an intresting discussion. i know that tylenols anti inflamation is what helps with pain. but say someone has to take vicodin for chronic pain but wants to counter act the tylenol. its for discussion perposes

Tylenol (acetamoniphen) is NOT an anti inflammatory. So we can't really discuss your example.

But lets say Advil or Motrin (ibuprofen), which can be found in Vicodin, or a similar preperation.

My best gues would be to use as much fish oil as possible, as it increases healthy inflammation and negates negative inflammation. But that's a guess really, as I've never came across any studies for a similar topic. However, the blood thinning effect would also have to be taken into consideration as well.

I think in this situation, the best answer would be Cissus, or some other analgesic/anti inflammatory. And increase protien intake as well

natron
06-14-2009, 07:30 PM
try to nix out the harsh opiates

freak
06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I think you're thinking of usnic acid. Totally different. Arachidonic acid is an essential fat.
thats the one haha. my bad