PDA

View Full Version : how much cardio

mirkok1
06-13-2009, 02:05 PM
my main goal is to get stronger, but my body fat level is high. can i make strength gains while losing bodyfat. how much cardio should i do?

Alex The Great
07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
my main goal is to get stronger, but my body fat level is high. can i make strength gains while losing bodyfat. how much cardio should i do?

keep your calories around your maintence level or slightly lower. Eat carbs only when they are ness like for breakfast and post workout. Add more healthy fats in your diet. If I was you I would follow palumbos diet but add in carbs for breakfast and posworkout. Also do fasted cardio 3-5 days a week and post workout for a min of 20 min. Make sure the cardio is low intensity (heart rate under 125).

Sledge
07-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I think if your new to training you can make great strength gains while loosing fat. As time goes on though it gets harder and harder.
First if I were you I'd sit down and make a good solid diet plan. Then a good training plan. Post them up on the site and let some of the more experienced knowledgable people help you tweek them up a little.
Don't get sucked into this or that diet plan or any sort of suppliment ragime. Just keep it simple and make a plan and stick to it.

Sledge
07-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh abd to actualy answer your initial question :D. You don't have to do any cardeo but for pure health and wellbeing reasons I'd suggest you start with about 40min of low-moderate intensity cardio either in the morning (before you consume anything, exept water) or right after your weight training.

bigleemurali
08-12-2009, 09:30 PM
keep your calories around your maintence level or slightly lower. Eat carbs only when they are ness like for breakfast and post workout. Add more healthy fats in your diet. If I was you I would follow palumbos diet but add in carbs for breakfast and posworkout. Also do fasted cardio 3-5 days a week and post workout for a min of 20 min. Make sure the cardio is low intensity (heart rate under 125).

I second Alex...

clevelandmuscle
09-12-2009, 03:41 AM
I think if your new to training you can make great strength gains while loosing fat. As time goes on though it gets harder and harder.
First if I were you I'd sit down and make a good solid diet plan. Then a good training plan. Post them up on the site and let some of the more experienced knowledgable people help you tweek them up a little.
Don't get sucked into this or that diet plan or any sort of suppliment ragime. Just keep it simple and make a plan and stick to it.

This is great advice. When you are just starting out and your bodyfat is at a high level, you can still make some great strength gains and lose fat at the same time. Start with monitoring your diet and adding some cardio in will help to get some of that fat off quicker. You could start with 30 minutes 5 days a week and move up from there. As long as you clean your calories up, you can still take in an efficient amount to get you stronger.

homegrown
10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
45 min on the treadmil at about 3.5 on a pretty good incline 3x a week is great to loose fat.. As long as your HR doesnt get above 130 your golden for not loosing any of that hard earned muscle.. Keep your pro. high carbs relativly low and get enough good fats into your diet..

TheTransformator
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't overdo it...low intensity...start with 3x a week for 20-30 mins...and see how that goes...people are all different...experiment alittle...

sunshine1230
10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I started working out at the beginning of the yr and have lost about 25 lbs. so far. I just began working out faithfully for the past month and I am now on Dave's meal plan for the past wk and a half. My goal is to be in fitness model shape. I am currently following a workout plan of weights 4x's a week followed by 30-45mins of cardio. On lower body days I just walk on the treadmill at 3.4-3.6 and on upper body days I do 45-60mins on the stairmill. I just recenly had my BF measured and it was at 34%. Is there anything else I can do to kick it up a notch or am I on the right track for just starting out.

fitnita
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM

if you follow the link above, you get a discount on my book, which outlines the basics of bodybuilding and leaning out... diets, workouts, and interval training methods that save time in the gym and don't bog down your schedule with long enduring sessions of cardio that can consume too much time without being necessarily effective... this is something that's really important for the foundation of your athletic training. your question, "is there such a thing as too much cardio?" is a good one, and one that is unfortunately answered hastily by most trainers. interval training can help you lean out while you are building your mass, which cardio can damn near kill your schedule on... you can lean out with long sessions of cardio, but why spend three times the amount of time to burn 1/3 the calories and fat, only to burn fat for up to two hours post workout? interval training workouts we outline can be done in 20 minutes or less, while still increasing your body's ability to burn fat... TO THE MAX for up to 13 postworkout... check out our workouts listed by me and former marine, jd johannes... he lost 59 pounds while gaining substantial mass, and THAT is why we wrote a book about it! good luck!!!!

Kirk Angel525
10-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I started working out at the beginning of the yr and have lost about 25 lbs. so far. I just began working out faithfully for the past month and I am now on Dave's meal plan for the past wk and a half. My goal is to be in fitness model shape. I am currently following a workout plan of weights 4x's a week followed by 30-45mins of cardio. On lower body days I just walk on the treadmill at 3.4-3.6 and on upper body days I do 45-60mins on the stairmill. I just recenly had my BF measured and it was at 34%. Is there anything else I can do to kick it up a notch or am I on the right track for just starting out.
I would just keep doing what your doing. the results do not come overnight(frustrating I know!)

keep your diet tight, work hard and that bf% will decline!

good luck!!!

kirk:yep:

Madmark73
11-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Great advice ..thanks to all the guys and girls out there willing to help us beginners!