PDA

View Full Version : Q & A w/ Dave Palumbo for the Ladies!

tammyp
02-16-2009, 05:38 AM
ask away peeps!

2hot4u
02-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Awesome thanks for making this happen i knew i could count on you!!!!

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Dave? In Colette's thread a lot of female competitors (including myself) shared their challenges with nut butters and nuts in general. Some women over do it on the butters while some over do it on the nuts and then you have others who go overboard with both. It's gotten so bad that we had to stop buying them in order to stay true to your diet. Those of us who can't resist binging on nuts looked for substitutes like avocados.

Colette gave her explanation of why some women go overboard with nuts/nut butters. Can you share your reasoning behind this?

huge285
02-17-2009, 03:23 AM
Dave? In Colette's thread a lot of female competitors (including myself) shared their challenges with nut butters and nuts in general. Some women over do it on the butters while some over do it on the nuts and then you have others who go overboard with both. It's gotten so bad that we had to stop buying them in order to stay true to your diet. Those of us who can't resist binging on nuts looked for substitutes like avocados.

Colette gave her explanation of why some women go overboard with nuts/nut butters. Can you share your reasoning behind this?

If you can't "hold" your nut butters (like an alcoholic), then switch to a tablespoon of macadamia nut oil in its place! There's very little chance you'll drink an entire bottle of oil.......lol

Kell0509
02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Dave, Im new and just starting on my journey to a better me. Im looking to lose weight and tone up for summer. Im wondering if you have any advice or words of wisdom to get me on my way. Thanks.

BadAssBarbie
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
So, Dave!! What kind of birthday cake will you be having today?? OH! That reminds me, time to call and sing to you!!!!!

sba220
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
For a 130lb+ Female

MEAL #1
2 whole (OMEGA-3) Eggs with 6 egg whites

MEAL #2
35g Whey protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

MEAL #3
6oz chicken (ostrich, or turkey) with 1/4-cup (1oz) cashew nuts, or almonds, or walnuts (vary it)

MEAL #4
5oz salmon, swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, red peppers, or carrots) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Mac Nut Oil and vinegar

MEAL #5
35g Whey Protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 2 whole (OMEGA-3) EGGS with 6 whites

**** You should have a cheat meal once per week (in place of meal #5).

GirlyMuscle
02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I just think you need some protein in the morning. You don't eat any until your third meal!

Of course, you realize with the oatmeal and fruit you aren;t doing Dave's fatloss diet, right?

cheddar cheese
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
How long are you allowed to have cheat meals on this diet for if you are in prep?

sba220
02-17-2009, 07:00 PM
How long are you allowed to have cheat meals on this diet for if you are in prep?

All depends on the person - this is where Dave's talent as a coach is critical. For women there is no average - I have seen him yank it anywhere from 8 weeks out to 1 week out. It all depends on your progress.

cheddar cheese
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
All depends on the person - this is where Dave's talent as a coach is critical. For women there is no average - I have seen him yank it anywhere from 8 weeks out to 1 week out. It all depends on your progress.

Gotcha ;) thanks

BadAssBarbie
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I read a ?? in one of the other threads that I thought I would ask over here in the ladies section..cuz I've often wondered about this: You say (on your diet) our heart rate should not go above 130bpm when doing cardio. However clen makes my heart beat very rapidly. So, even though the heart rate is already up due to "stimulants", we still need to keep it below 130 for cardio? Every morning, just going up the stairs to get to a treadmill at my gym shoots my HR up to 153 or so!! When I'm not on the clen, my HR stays very low, in fact it's normally hard to even get it up to 153!! Any suggestions??

goddessamazon
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
If you can't "hold" your nut butters (like an alcoholic), then switch to a tablespoon of macadamia nut oil in its place! There's very little chance you'll drink an entire bottle of oil.......lol

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

You got that right Dave! There's no way in hell I'll drink an entire bottle of oil.

Love the analogy! :D

BadAssBarbie
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmmm......I wonder if Dave forgot about us women over here??

huge285
02-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I read a ?? in one of the other threads that I thought I would ask over here in the ladies section..cuz I've often wondered about this: You say (on your diet) our heart rate should not go above 130bpm when doing cardio. However clen makes my heart beat very rapidly. So, even though the heart rate is already up due to "stimulants", we still need to keep it below 130 for cardio? Every morning, just going up the stairs to get to a treadmill at my gym shoots my HR up to 153 or so!! When I'm not on the clen, my HR stays very low, in fact it's normally hard to even get it up to 153!! Any suggestions??

DP: After the first 5-7 days on clenbuterol you shouldn’t notice any increase in heart rate or stimulant effects. How much are you taking? Are you taking it everyday?

huge285
02-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Hmmm......I wonder if Dave forgot about us women over here??

How can I forget the hot and sultry Barbie??? Put the peanutbutter down, now!!

BadAssBarbie
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM

DP: After the first 5-7 days on clenbuterol you shouldn’t notice any increase in heart rate or stimulant effects. How much are you taking? Are you taking it everyday?
Yes, I'm taking it every day...like u told me to...80mcg/day...20mcg 4x It's been alot more than 5-7 days...more like 13 weeks???? I'm REALLY struggling bc my HR is elevated. It's especially hard when I'm practicing my routine. It feels like my heart is just gonna explode right out of my chest...high intensity I know, but a low intensity fitness routine would be ridiculous!! LOL

goddessamazon
02-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Dave? Can you explain again why you suggest that competitors stop working "Legs" one week out from their comp?

stl50
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Dave,

I've been on your diet for about 11 weeks and have lost alomost 20 lbs...feel awesome and look great too.

i dont compete...just a gym rat whose eating habits got way out of control.

I want to switch from "diet" mode to "maintenance" mode, but don't want any rebound. Currently i do 90 min of cardio a day, 7 days a week and lift 5 days a week.

Really want to stay on the diet, but is it okay for longterm?

...and, can i just switch from 90 min of cardio a day to 30 mins a day without some sort of "rebound". I guess i'm just worried that my body will freak out and the results i've worked my ass off for will be compromised..

Thanks in advance!!!!:D:D:D

IRONURSE
02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Dave,
While water retention seems very uncommon when cycling Var, what could be some possible causes of water retention if it does happen? (Diet, Cardio and Lifting maintained) Any alternatives or suggestions?
Thanks.

banger
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
last fall my wife was stuck at 6 wks out from a show(jr.new england's). she was doing the same old low carb stuff that she had done before but it wasn't working. So we switched to dave's diet for 2 weeks and things started happening. then we decided to have dave help her for the last 4wks. i was totally blown away at how great she looked so quick. I know a lot of people probable come here thinking hey i will just copy his diet and go from there. but he had her do things in her diet that i didn't think she could do. becasue we were short on time, at 2 wks out dave had her do 5pv to 1pf. and the last week it was 6pv to 1pf. this is just one of the things he did. if any of you ladies are on the fence about hiring him you won't regret it.

oh by the way she ended up winning the masters and placing 2nd in open short. the judges said she was too muscular.... lol

huge285
02-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Dave? Can you explain again why you suggest that competitors stop working "Legs" one week out from their comp?
DP: When you train your legs you draw blood and fluid to the area for recovery and this blurs muscle separation. Similarly, the leg musculature takes approximately 7 days to “heal” and recover such that you can see deep, hard, separation in the muscle fibers.
____
I've been on your diet for about 11 weeks and have lost almost 20 lbs...feel awesome and look great too.

I don’t compete...just a gym rat whose eating habits got way out of control.

I want to switch from "diet" mode to "maintenance" mode, but don't want any rebound. Currently i do 90 min of cardio a day, 7 days a week and lift 5 days a week.

Really want to stay on the diet, but is it okay for longterm?

...and, can i just switch from 90 min of cardio a day to 30 mins a day without some sort of "rebound". I guess i'm just worried that my body will freak out and the results i've worked my ass off for will be compromised.

DP: You can stay on the diet long term if you maintain your weekly cheat meal. Going down to 30min cardio should be fine. Just pay attention to your body and adjust accordingly.
____
Dave, do you recommend any particular types of cardio during contest prep to decrease body fat? I usually use the stairmill but sometimes I feel like running on the treadmill. I've been told too much running can make your legs look stringy.
DP: I suggest low intensity cardio for longer durations. Keep your heart rate under 130 bpm (100-120 is probably ideal). This is the best intensity level for burningexclusively fat and retaining muscle.
____
While water retention seems very uncommon when cycling Var, what could be some possible causes of water retention if it does happen? (Diet, Cardio and Lifting maintained) Any alternatives or suggestions?
DP: Some women do get a little bloated from Anavar. As long as it doesn’t get too bad, you should just deal with it. With time your body will adjust and you water balance will normalize.
____

Cutting it up
02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
For a 130lb+ Female

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3
6oz chicken (ostrich, or turkey) with 1/4-cup (1oz) cashew nuts, or almonds, or walnuts (vary it)

MEAL #4
5oz salmon, swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, red peppers, or carrots) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Mac Nut Oil and vinegar

MEAL #5
35g Whey Protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 2 whole (OMEGA-3) EGGS with 6 whites

How far apart should the meals be? I wake up at 5:30am, then work from 7 - 5 with 15-20 min cardio at lunch about 4 days a week. I do my strength training in the evenings, the sometimes go to bed around midnight. Should I be adding another meal? I am also taking Hydroxycut Hardcore. Look forward to your answer.

huge285
02-28-2009, 03:44 AM
Last fall my wife was stuck at 6 wks out from a show(jr.new england's). She was doing the same old low carb stuff that she had done before but it wasn't working. So we switched to dave's diet for 2 weeks and things started happening. then we decided to have dave help her for the last 4wks. i was totally blown away at how great she looked so quick. I know a lot of people probable come here thinking hey i will just copy his diet and go from there. but he had her do things in her diet that i didn't think she could do. Because we were short on time, at 2 wks out Dave had her do 5pv to 1pf. and the last week it was 6pv to 1pf. this is just one of the things he did. If any of you ladies are on the fence about hiring him you won't regret it.

Oh by the way she ended up winning the masters and placing 2nd in open short. The judges said she was too muscular.... lol
DP: thanks for the kind words.

Cutting it up
03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
That's cool. I'll have to check out about having him do a custom meal plan

sba220
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
How far apart should the meals be? I wake up at 5:30am, then work from 7 - 5 with 15-20 min cardio at lunch about 4 days a week. I do my strength training in the evenings, the sometimes go to bed around midnight. Should I be adding another meal? I am also taking Hydroxycut Hardcore. Look forward to your answer.

You don't need to add an extra meal. Just space them out better. You should also make an effort to get more sleep. I know it can be difficult, but try to make everything more efficient and see if you can scratch out and extra hour.

If you are absolutely dying of hunger, add in an extra shake. This is a last resort.

mia
03-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Dave, Im 8 weeks out from a show and struggling with losing bodyfat, im doing over and hrs cardio before breakfast (6.30am mmmm nice) and then again after weights in the evening and still my bodyfat is NOT budging, im currently following a low carb diet (im starving ha), is it too late now to switch to your keto diet in time for the show?

many thanks mia xxx

huge285
03-12-2009, 04:05 AM
Dave, Im 8 weeks out from a show and struggling with losing bodyfat, im doing over and hrs cardio before breakfast (6.30am mmmm nice) and then again after weights in the evening and still my bodyfat is NOT budging, im currently following a low carb diet (im starving ha), is it too late now to switch to your keto diet in time for the show?
DP: It’s not too late, but with this short time frame you can’t pull my basic diet off the web and expect to get results. You need the expertise behind the diet plan to make the changes to get you ready quickly.

Kolbe
03-12-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm wondering what you typically would recomend with a womans diet up to the comp. I've been having amazing results from following your diet and I'm now 4 weeks out. I plan to keep the diet all to the comp and want to ask you: Should I carb up? if so how many carbs, and when? Should I cut the water? if so, when?

Sugargirl
03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
DP: It’s not too late, but with this short time frame you can’t pull my basic diet off the web and expect to get results. You need the expertise behind the diet plan to make the changes to get you ready quickly.

Hey Dave how can I get more info on our training and rates etc.. thanks

~gymdiva~
03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Dave, if you're needing to take any OTC or Rx meds for a cold/the flu should you take a break from lipo/somalyze or is it ok to keep taking it?

huge285
03-18-2009, 04:05 AM
I'm wondering what you typically would recomend with a womans diet up to the comp. I've been having amazing results from following your diet and I'm now 4 weeks out. I plan to keep the diet all to the comp and want to ask you: Should I carb up? if so how many carbs, and when? Should I cut the water? if so, when?

DP: Except for a few overly muscular females (top pros), few women need to carb up. The last couple days before the show I add in some fats to help you fill out a bit and have some energy on stage. Cut your sodium the day before the show and cut your water the night before the show.

SallyAnne
03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Dave - have you heard of Beef Protein Isolate (http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=22&pid=6888#Nutrition)? What's your take on it?

huge285
03-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Hey Dave how can I get more info on our training and rates etc.. thanks
DP: Check out my website: http://www.davepalumbo.com/ProductsPages/consutlingservices.htm#basic (http://www.davepalumbo.com/ProductsPages/consutlingservices.htm#basic)
___
Dave, if you're needing to take any OTC or Rx meds for a cold/the flu should you take a break from lipo/somalyze or is it ok to keep taking it?
DP: There are no known contradictions with OTC flu meds, so if you absolutely need them to function and sleep, look for the sugar-free ones. If you have a fever, stop the LIPOLYZE until it subsides
____
Dave - have you heard of Beef Protein Isolate? What's your take on it?
DP: I would assume that It’s powdered beef protein. I never tried it or have seen it sold anywhere.

little d
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi Dave.. will lipolyze continue to burn fat for 16 weeks or do I need to stop taking for a while then go back on?

Is it true certain suppliments will cancel each other out and some supps if taken together, the body will only absorb one and discard the other? If so what are they?

For a national show such as the masters Nationals, should I inject fat on my cheek bones ...as my face caves in.. leaving lots of wrinkles when I have low BF. I heard they want the complete package face and body. Or do you feel they only judge the body???

huge285
03-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi Dave.. will Lipolyze continue to burn fat for 16 weeks or do I need to stop taking for a while then go back on?
DP: I would suggest staying on the LIPOLYZE your entire diet whether it’s 16 or 24 weeks.

Is it true certain supplements will cancel each other out and some supps if taken together, the body will only absorb one and discard the other? If so what are they?
DP: By and far, not many supplements will cancel each other out. That’s very rare.

For a national show such as the masters Nationals, should I inject fat on my cheek bones ...as my face caves in.. leaving lots of wrinkles when I have low BF. I heard they want the complete package face and body. Or do you feel they only judge the body???

DP: I would just try to style your hair so that it feathers your face………….. Restylane or fat injections don’t really help much because when your metabolic rate is so high, the stuff doesn’t last very long

little d
03-31-2009, 05:52 AM
Dave can carbolize be used by a diabetic? Also is mass gaining diet plan diabetic friendly? Is there any site or area I can look at that has info for diabetic bodybuilder?:confused:

sba220
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Dave can carbolize be used by a diabetic? Also is mass gaining diet plan diabetic friendly? Is there any site or area I can look at that has info for diabetic bodybuilder?:confused:

Carbolyze is risky for a diabetic. As for information on diabetes and competing, there is no better resource than RxMuscle.com - our very own Colette Nelson is a registerd dietician specializing in diabetes, as she is a type 1 diabetic and IFBB pro bodybuilder.

muscles_1976
03-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Dave,

is sweet 'n low acceptable on the diet instead of stevia? example........1 packet per cup of coffee? (I don't use sweetener on anything else either) if so, will it need to be dropped at a certain point?

thanks

sba220
03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Dave,

is sweet 'n low acceptable on the diet instead of stevia? example........1 packet per cup of coffee? (I don't use sweetener on anything else either) if so, will it need to be dropped at a certain point?

thanks

Sweet 'n low and other commerical sweeetners like Equal and Splenda use maltodextrin as a binder. It makes the power more commerical (user) friendly. Stevia powder uses fiber as the binder and that is why Dave recommends it.

muscles_1976
03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
is the maltodextrin just "not good for you" or does is halt weight loss etc?

I am asking because I read on another thread he said splenda in moderation (and I am assuming others) is okay.......just people can't control themselves with it.

sba220
03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
is the maltodextrin just "not good for you" or does is halt weight loss etc?

I am asking because I read on another thread he said splenda in moderation (and I am assuming others) is okay.......just people can't control themselves with it.

It is fine health wise (corn starch), but it will slow weight loss. If you only use a couple of packets per day there is no issue, but most people go overboard with that.

We like to keep things on the safe side and not risk getting too many unnecessary carbs in. The reality is, if you are dead on with your whole diet, then 2 packets of sweet-n-low or splenda are fine. But you make a slight error here and there and it all adds up.

sba220
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
From a lady wishing to remain unknown:

A woman's drug cycle of "back in the day" vs. one of today. I saw an article in a recent magazine where dave did this for the men and would like to know the same for the women.

huge285
04-08-2009, 03:48 AM
A woman's drug cycle of "back in the day" vs. one of today. I saw an article in a recent magazine where Dave did this for the men and would like to know the same for the women

DP: I never advocated that women take more than Anavar, Primo, or Winstrol…………. Back in the day, women were probably following this advice with a tad of Deca and EQ mixed in. However, when the 90’s rolled around, women started experimenting with testosterone and this created bigger women…..but also, women with many more side effects.

aprilmichelle
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Dave,

What are your thoughts on women and HGH? What is the difference, if any, in taking 1iu/day and taking 3iu/day? I have seen a lot of information on men and HGH but not much on women...

little d
04-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi Dave.. Well I was wondering is there a volume 2 to Hardcore Nutrition & Supplement?

sba220
04-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi Dave.. Well I was wondering is there a volume 2 to Hardcore Nutrition & Supplement?

There is no Volume 2, he got it all in the first one...:)

What other information are you looking for.

~gymdiva~
04-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Dave, what seems to cause allergic reactions to occur in adults? as in ones that never happened when you were little? it always baffled me how that worked...

huge285
04-15-2009, 02:22 AM
What are your thoughts on women and HGH? What is the difference, if any, in taking 1iu/day and taking 3iu/day? I have seen a lot of information on men and HGH but not much on women...
DP: 1-2iu’s per day works great on women for fat loss. There is no need to exceed 2iu’s and too much risk of side effects such as facial bone growth.

KBigz81
04-15-2009, 06:53 AM
I saw that you don't have females doing a carb load for the peak week. What do you do the day of the show for fem bb'ers? I've been following your diet for 6 weeks, and have 2 1/2 weeks to go until my competition. I can't find anything on how to do the load while on a keto diet for women.

Melissa
04-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw that you don't have females doing a carb load for the peak week. What do you do the day of the show for fem bb'ers? I've been following your diet for 6 weeks, and have 2 1/2 weeks to go until my competition. I can't find anything on how to do the load while on a keto diet for women.

Hey KBigz81,
Dave prefers to fat load his female clients beginning one or two days prior to the show. I believe he posted somewhere in here that very few women respond well to carb loading without spilling over. So he prefers to use oil and peanut butter for fat loading. Hope this helps and good luck in your show!

muscles_1976
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Dave,

how would you recommend preparing top round/london broil when following the contest diet?

I have a crock pot recipe that calls for 3/4 c. diced white onion and 1/2 c balsamic vinegar (water, salt, other spices) per 2lb steak--which will probably make 2-3 servings once cooked

.........are the onions and vinegar okay or not?

Arina Manta
04-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Hi Dave,

What's your opinion about low fat organic tofu some days in an off seasson ( replacing a meal ) .

Thank you.

Arina

KBigz81
04-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks Melissa, I actually decided to hire Dave for my last 2 weeks, since I don't have a clue on how to do a fat load. My last show I felt I spilled over, and was holding alot of water in my legs but my trainer said I was just very full. I know my stomach wasn't used to eating sweet potatoes and my stomach felt so heavy. I'm 2 weeks out starting today and my food cravings have gotten so bad for some reason. Probably cuz I know I'm so close to being done.

Hey KBigz81,
Dave prefers to fat load his female clients beginning one or two days prior to the show. I believe he posted somewhere in here that very few women respond well to carb loading without spilling over. So he prefers to use oil and peanut butter for fat loading. Hope this helps and good luck in your show!

SadFatty
04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Dave!

Can your ketogenic diet or any ketogenic diet be used on a person who is completely steroid free? Or should they use more carbs.

huge285
04-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Dave, what seems to cause allergic reactions to occur in adults? as in ones that never happened when you were little? it always baffled me how that worked...
DP: Your immune system went insane in your old age!
_____
how would you recommend preparing top round/london broil when following the contest diet?

I have a crock pot recipe that calls for 3/4 c. diced white onion and 1/2 c balsamic vinegar (water, salt, other spices) per 2lb steak--which will probably make 2-3 servings once cooked

.........are the onions and vinegar okay or not?
DP: Grill or broil the steak. Save the fancy recipes for the offseason.
____
What's your opinion about low fat organic tofu some days in an off seasson ( replacing a meal ) .
DP: If you like it, go for it!
_____
Can your ketogenic diet or any ketogenic diet be used on a person who is completely steroid free? Or should they use more carbs
DP: The ketogenic diet works for EVERYONE! Steroids have nothing to do with diet.
___

Darnelle B
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey ladies!

My wife wants to do daves diet but she is around 230lbs right now how do I set the diet up for her? I see the diet dave has post but that for 130lbs female....so just need to to know the best way to set it up for here. And I know ladies love the peanut butter.lol so so how many meal would she be allowed to eat it with? I hate peanut butter so I'm fine on the diet. Lol

klh_2342
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21jNpl092iL._AA280_.jpg

Hey dave, just wanted to know what you think about using this in precontest on your diet. I use the magic bullet with isolyze and pb to make a smoothie...would this be ok to add flavor or would you leave it out? It is sweetened with splenda but i watched your seminar video and you said things sweetened with splenda dont always have that carb. what would you suggest cause these sure are good! :)

huge285
04-25-2009, 03:39 AM
My wife wants to do daves diet but she is around 230lbs right now how do I set the diet up for her? I see the diet dave has post but that for 130lbs female....so just need to to know the best way to set it up for here. And I know ladies love the peanut butter.lol so so how many meal would she be allowed to eat it with? I hate peanut butter so I'm fine on the diet. Lol
DP: Just put her on the diet posted on the first page of the thread. It'll work great for her.

huge285
04-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Hey dave, just wanted to know what you think about using this in precontest on your diet. I use the magic bullet with isolyze and pb to make a smoothie...would this be ok to add flavor or would you leave it out? It is sweetened with splenda but i watched your seminar video and you said things sweetened with splenda dont always have that carb. what would you suggest cause these sure are good!
DP: I would avoid it while dieting just to be safe.
_____

What do you think about Kre-alkalyn supplements? Are they any good or do you recommend creatine monohydrate powder instead?
DP: I prefer creatine monohydrate because I know it works. All the studies that have proved effectiveness of creatine have used monohydrate. There are no negatives to using it so why take a chance with something else.

Kitty Kat
05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Dave,
I have been wondering..
Can sugar scrubs have any negative effect on your diet?

Darnelle B
05-04-2009, 09:35 AM
is it ok if my girl use peanut butter for all the meal. or like 4 meals peanut butter and the last one mac nut oil?

muscles_1976
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
can dave's protocol for final week dry out/water intake/diazide be found on here somewhere?

sba220
05-06-2009, 11:26 PM
can dave's protocol for final week dry out/water intake/diazide be found on here somewhere?

Not explicitly...you can find bits and pieces, but to get the whole plan you need to hire Dave. He does off final week services, email him at [email protected]

huge285
05-07-2009, 03:17 AM
DP: No, as long as you don’t eat them.
______
is it ok if my girl use peanut butter for all the meal. or like 4 meals peanut butter and the last one mac nut oil?
DP: You should be having PB with the shakes......or you can have it in place of the nuts (in the lean protein meal).
______

muscles_1976
05-08-2009, 07:55 AM
are guidelines for the diazide the same for female bb as male?

SallyAnne
05-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey, Dave.

Question about Creatine. I take 2 grams of CEE on training days before my workout. Is this protocol OK? Do I take it on training days only?

tammyp
05-12-2009, 08:00 AM
what are your thoughts on organic apple cider vinegar?

Gerb
05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Dave, on your previous Womens Q&A thread over at MD, you had explained the reason why Novedex XT would work for a Male but not a Female. Someone had asked a question in regards to Nolvadex vs. Novedex XT. Could you briefly explain the difference and why you would or would not recommend Novedex XT for a female? I'll save the answer this time. Thanks. - Steve

huge285
05-13-2009, 03:50 AM
DP: No, as long as you don’t eat them.
______
DP: You should be having PB with the shakes......or you can have it in place of the nuts (in the lean protein meal).
______

mitch
05-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Dave, I am on your diet and had a trip to the dentist today...fun! After having the "needle" I started becoming and little agitated, heart palpatations, heart racing, shaking and generally felt like shit. The dentist said if was because of the adrenaline????? Wot the????? I have never had this before and I am pretty certain that I have never had adrenaline in the dentists needle before. Keeping in mind when I had my wisdom teeth out I had 6 needles in one side. My question is could the palpatations and anxiety be from low blood sugar levels or even made it worse OR is it just from the adrenaline? Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks heaps. Sue...from Melbourne, Australia!.

huge285
05-19-2009, 10:52 PM
are guidelines for the diazide the same for female bb as male?
DP: The same principle applies, but you are probably smaller than the average male so you will need less. With any diuretic, MORE IS NOT BETTER! Start with ½ pill Friday afternoon, another late Friday night, then see how you look before taking more in the morning. This is where an expert eye is critical.
______
Question about Creatine. I take 2 grams of CEE on training days before my workout. Is this protocol OK? Do I take it on training days only?
DP: There is no reason to use CEE (and it tastes like gasonline). Creatine monohydrate works just as well…but for either take them every day. I prefer to take it with the postworkout meal.
______
what are your thoughts on organic apple cider vinegar?\
DP: It's ok to use a little to flavor your salad, but like most condiments, in excess it's wasted calories.
______
Dave, on your previous Womens Q&A thread over at MD, you had explained the reason why Novedex XT would work for a Male but not a Female. Someone had asked a question in regards to Nolvadex vs. Novedex XT. Could you briefly explain the difference and why you would or would not recommend Novedex XT for a female? I'll save the answer this time. Thanks. – Steve
DP: Nolvadex (tamoxifen) is a prescription drug. It blocks estrogen receptors and therefore reduces the estrogenic effects in your body. For a women this is the only way to effectively reduce estrogen. Novedex XT (Gaspari, active ingredient = ATD) is an aromotase inhibitor. It stops testosterone from converting to estrogen. Estrogen in a male comes from testosterone; in a women estrogen comes directly from her ovaries. So in a women there is no conversion to stop (unless she is using exogenous testosterone) and the best you can do is block the receptors from utilizing the estrogen that is present

goddessamazon
05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Dave, I've been using your diet plan since November of last year and I have had FANTASTIC results from it. I've also been doing well with my competitions because of it. So far I have one 6th place and two 2nd place trophies for this year thanks to your diet and supplements. I have another comp coming up in July and then I'm taking a break but I like your diet so much that I intend to stay on it during my off season.

But I have a new situation that I want your input on.

I recently started taking brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. I took my first class last Friday and my second class today. After talking with my instructor we decided that I will train 3 times a week (each BJJ class last for two hours). I notice that when I leave the class I am soak and wet from head to toe. This brazilian jiu-jitsu stuff is hella cardio! :eek: Whew! So now I recently dropped the slow cardio from my regular workout plan since I'm getting cardio from my BJJ classes.

Due to this addition hobby of mine it's obvious that I'm gonna have to up my calorie intake. So my question is.............

With weight training in the morning and 2 hours of BJJ training 3x a week should I up my calories with protein or fats?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us (You the MAN!). The Palumbo diet is the BOMB!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

SallyAnne
05-28-2009, 09:26 AM
DP: There is no reason to use CEE (and it tastes like gasonline). Creatine monohydrate works just as well…but for either take them every day. I prefer to take it with the postworkout meal.

I have it in pill form, so no gas taste. Monohydrate upsets my stomach, which is why I switched to begin with.

BigBilly
05-28-2009, 03:36 PM
how do girls get so hard and dry in the upper leg groin area.. they harder that 99.8% men.... why?

huge285
05-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Hi Dave, I've been using your diet plan since November of last year and I have had FANTASTIC results from it. I've also been doing well with my competitions because of it. So far I have one 6th place and two 2nd place trophies for this year thanks to your diet and supplements. I have another comp coming up in July and then I'm taking a break but I like your diet so much that I intend to stay on it during my off season.

But I have a new situation that I want your input on.

I recently started taking Brazilian jiu-jitsu classes. I took my first class last Friday and my second class today. After talking with my instructor we decided that I will train 3 times a week (each BJJ class last for two hours). I notice that when I leave the class I am soak and wet from head to toe. This brazilian jiu-jitsu stuff is hella cardio! Whew! So now I recently dropped the slow cardio from my regular workout plan since I'm getting cardio from my BJJ classes.

Due to this addition hobby of mine it's obvious that I'm gonna have to up my calorie intake. So my question is.............

With weight training in the morning and 2 hours of BJJ training 3x a week should I up my calories with protein or fats?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us (You the MAN!). The Palumbo diet is the BOMB

DP: You will need to experiment. First I would add some fat to the meal before the cardio training. If this is still not enough, add another shake meal (Whey and all natural peanutbutter). If you're still exhausted, you may need to add 15-20g carbs to your pre-workout meal. Your high intensity activity level should burn off the carbs and keep you in ketosis.
_____
how do girls get so hard and dry in the upper leg groin area.. they harder that 99.8% men.... why?

DP: Typically women store more fat in their butts and thighs while men store fat in their abdominal and back regions. Women can usually get their midsections lean relatively quickly and they'll continue to lean out while dieting to get the stubborn leg/butt fat off (assuming they're eating correctly-- enough essential fats!)

GatorPump
05-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Good or Bad????

I have been making my protein shakes at work, this is what I include, please tell me if I should modify anything from it. I am currently in cut down mode (diet).

1 scoop Elite Whey Protein Isolate
1/2 banana
6 frozen strawberries
1 6oz dannon lite and fit vanilla yogurt cup
some water to make it thin enough to drink.

I usually have one in the morning and then another in the late afternoon of the same. :confused: I do have my lunch meal of chicken.

Thanks for the help.

ValentineA
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
igf 1 lr3 mixed with bacteriostatic water only, is it ok?

GirlyMuscle
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Dave, I love the nutrition dvd and the seminar footage. Now that I know the WHYS and HOWS of the diet I find it's easier to stick to because I know the reason I'm doing something. That being said, why do you suggest morning fasted cardio? If we're in ketosis and running on ketones and not glucose what is the reasoning behind fasted cardio?

muscles_1976
06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
when following your contest plan, at what point can you break up cardio sessions? like once you hit 60 can u do 30/30 or 75 45/30 etc

thanks

huge285
06-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Good or Bad????

I have been making my protein shakes at work, this is what I include, please tell me if I should modify anything from it. I am currently in cut down mode (diet).

1/2 banana
6 frozen strawberries

I usually have one in the morning and then another in the late afternoon of the same. I do have my lunch meal of chicken.

Thanks for the help.
DP: If you are trying to lose fat you should get the carbs out of the shake and make it with protein and fat. Try 30g of protein and 1 tbsp of all natural peanut butter.
_____
igf 1 lr3 mixed with bacteriostatic water only, is it ok?
DP: Here is my entire mixing and dose protocol: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/search.php?searchid=244443 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/search.php?searchid=244443)
_____
why do you suggest morning fasted cardio? If we're in ketosis and running on ketones and not glucose what is the reasoning behind fasted cardio?
DP: You don’t want any recently eaten protein to get used as fuel. In the morning you are fasted and your body will run entirely on the fat you have stored in the fat cells.
_____

GatorPump
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
[quote=huge285;298061]Good or Bad????

1/2 banana
6 frozen strawberries

I usually have one in the morning and then another in the late afternoon of the same. I do have my lunch meal of chicken.

Thanks for the help.
DP: If you are trying to lose fat you should get the carbs out of the shake and make it with protein and fat. Try 30g of protein and 1 tbsp of all natural peanut butter.

:(Thanks, Dave. God my shakes were good. Off to buy the peanut butter...looking to lose the fat. Thanks:bowdown:

goddessamazon
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Dave? When you use to compete how much time did you spend on posing and flexing prior to your competition date? Also, how many seconds do you hold a pose/flex during practice?

RealLilSwole
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Dave. Can you post your offseason diet for females? THANKS!

ValentineA
06-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Dave, it says no matches. Did you give me the correct link? Thanks

gf 1 lr3 mixed with bacteriostatic water only, is it ok?
DP: Here is my entire mixing and dose protocol: http://forums.rxmuscle.com/search.php?searchid=244443
_

prettymuscles
06-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Dave, I've been on the Keto diet for the past week - I purchased Ketostix for my own curiousity to see what were my Ketones levels, and I was wondering if there is a level of Ketones you should have? I've been keeping in the "traces" and "small" amounts of Ketones? or it doesn't matter?

GirlyMuscle
06-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not Dave but I went through this last year. My ketostix never registered that I was in ketosis. It was explained to me that not only are those things unreliable but you will be burning the ketones with training so you won't pass many to show up on the stix. Just stick to the diet 100% and you'll be in ketosis.

The Thinker
06-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm looking for advice for my wife. I finally got her to watch Dave's video seminar and to "drink the keto coolaid" and after years of subscribing to the high prot / low carb / low fat diet she decided to try the diet. I have been doing it for 11 weeks and getting great results.

She was really gung ho but after four weeks she is frustrated. We've only been using the scale as a measurement as she was not previously open to the tape measure or BF. I'm going to force the issue now as I think she is looking better but the scale is not reflecting it.

Even-though she was a bit lighter, I based her diet on the 130 lbs. The only change I made is a reduction to her egg whites to 4 for the first and last meal. Here is what we did:

MEAL #1
2 whole (OMEGA-3) Eggs with 4 egg whites

MEAL #2
25g Whey protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

MEAL #3
6oz chicken with 1 oz cashew nuts or almonds and green beans

MEAL #4
5oz Lean Ground Beef with a green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil

MEAL #5
2 whole (OMEGA-3) EGGS with 4 whites

I also have her doing the appropriate amount of Fish and Primrose Oil as well as Juice Plus. She is doing an hour of cardio (stairmill @ < 120bpm). She never cheats unless it is our free meal on Saturday night. Even on the cheat meal she does not go over board.

Her starting weight was 123 and after two weeks she was 121. After four weeks she is 122 and extremely frustrated.

So what changes to I make? I'm thinking her overall calories are too high for her size. I'm considering the following:
- reduce 1 Omega egg for the egg meal
- Reduce the meats lean and fatty meals to 4 oz

I didn't really want to increase here cardio this early in the diet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

huge285
06-27-2009, 02:51 AM
When following your contest plan, at what point can you break up cardio sessions? like once you hit 60 can u do 30/30 or 75 45/30 etc
DP: Once you hit 90min you can split them up (one in the morning and one after lifting).
_____
Dave? When you use to compete how much time did you spend on posing and flexing prior to your competition date? Also, how many seconds do you hold a pose/flex during practice?
DP: Leading up the show I would pose every day for 20-30 min. Each week I would increase the time I held each pose until I could hold it for 1min with ease.
_____
Hey Dave. Can you post your offseason diet for females? THANKS
DP:

MEAL #1
2 whole (OMEGA-3) Eggs with 6 egg whites with 1/2 cup oatmeal

MEAL #2 (post-workout)—insert this into your diet following your weight training workout; no matter where that may fall).
SHAKE: 40g Whey Protein** with 30g Waxy Maize*** (high molecular weight carbohydrate)

MEAL #3
6oz chicken (ostrich, or turkey, or lean fish like tilapia, flounder, filet of sole, or cod) with 1/4-cup (1oz) cashew nuts, or almonds, or walnuts (vary it) and 1/2 cup brown rice

MEAL #4
6oz salmon, swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, red peppers, or carrots) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or Macadamia Nut Oil and vinegar with small yam or baked potato

MEAL #5
ONE OF ABOVE

MEAL #6
35g Whey with 1.5 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

****ALL MEALS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE

**** You should have a cheat meal once per week

_____
Hi Dave, I've been on the Keto diet for the past week - I purchased Ketostix for my own curiousity to see what were my Ketones levels, and I was wondering if there is a level of Ketones you should have? I've been keeping in the "traces" and "small" amounts of Ketones? or it doesn't matter?
DP: Ketostix are very inaccurate. If you are following my diet strictly, you are almost certainly in ketosis.
_____
I'm looking for advice for my wife. I finally got her to watch Dave's video seminar and to "drink the keto coolaid" and after years of subscribing to the high prot / low carb / low fat diet she decided to try the diet. I have been doing it for 11 weeks and getting great results.

She was really gung ho but after four weeks she is frustrated. We've only been using the scale as a measurement as she was not previously open to the tape measure or BF. I'm going to force the issue now as I think she is looking better but the scale is not reflecting it.

Even-though she was a bit lighter, I based her diet on the 130 lbs. The only change I made is a reduction to her egg whites to 4 for the first and last meal. Here is what we did:

MEAL #1
2 whole (OMEGA-3) Eggs with 4 egg whites

MEAL #2
25g Whey protein Isolate with 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter

MEAL #3
6oz chicken with 1 oz cashew nuts or almonds and green beans

MEAL #4
5oz Lean Ground Beef with a green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil

MEAL #5
2 whole (OMEGA-3) EGGS with 4 whites

I also have her doing the appropriate amount of Fish and Primrose Oil as well as Juice Plus. She is doing an hour of cardio (stairmill @ < 120bpm). She never cheats unless it is our free meal on Saturday night. Even on the cheat meal she does not go over board.

Her starting weight was 123 and after two weeks she was 121. After four weeks she is 122 and extremely frustrated.

So what changes to I make? I'm thinking her overall calories are too high for her size. I'm considering the following:
- reduce 1 Omega egg for the egg meal
- Reduce the meats lean and fatty meals to 4 oz

I didn't really want to increase here cardio this early in the diet.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
DP: Try to mix in protein-veggie days (reduced fat). Use the diet you listed for 1 day and the protein-veggie diet for 1 day, etc. You can find that in the thread title “Dave’s Diet for Women.”

sbfigure
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
heyyy!!! i am trying to put on size, and i have people telling me to keep my training where it is... lower weight high reps to get the blood pumpin to the muscles.... however, i feel like if this was the right way of training, i'd be bigger. In your off seasons, how do you train ladies... i was told dropping the reps and increasing the weights will make me look masculine... obviously something i dont want... but i DO want to put on size, and I feel that if thats how men do it why should we be that much different? any input? how do you all put on size? (aside from diet...and "supplements")

gymratbabe
07-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I am 52 year old female bodybuilder. My mom had breast cancer but did not have the BRCA gene. She is in remission almost 5 years.
I am currently on a 90 day(30 days left) trial of prempro(0.625mg/5mg) due to pre-menopausal symptoms but I am not menopausal as I still have a period every month. I am also taking synthroid 50mcg. Had bloodwork done this past Feb. Low test, low thyroid, low estrogen hence the estrogen/progestin.

Can I take IGF-1? and how much? Keep hearing that the risk of breast cancer and estrogen issues would be reasons not to. Is this true? Thank you so much for your help.

huge285
07-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Heyyy!!! i am trying to put on size, and i have people telling me to keep my training where it is... lower weight high reps to get the blood pumpin to the muscles.... however, i feel like if this was the right way of training, i'd be bigger. In your off seasons, how do you train ladies... i was told dropping the reps and increasing the weights will make me look masculine... obviously something i dont want... but i DO want to put on size, and I feel that if thats how men do it why should we be that much different? any input? how do you all put on size? (aside from diet...and "supplements")
DP: Men and women should train the same! The differences come in diet, supplements, and drugs. To add muscle you have to use heavy weights for low reps (6-10). Keep your volume low and intensity high. As long as you are not using any male hormones, you won't look masculine.
____
I am 52 year old female bodybuilder. My mom had breast cancer but did not have the BRCA gene. She is in remission almost 5 years.
I am currently on a 90 day(30 days left) trial of prempro(0.625mg/5mg) due to pre-menopausal symptoms but I am not menopausal as I still have a period every month. I am also taking synthroid 50mcg. Had bloodwork done this past Feb. Low test, low thyroid, low estrogen hence the estrogen/progestin.

Can I take IGF-1? and how much? Keep hearing that the risk of breast cancer and estrogen issues would be reasons not to. Is this true? Thank you so much for your help.

DP: IGF-1 acts on a different pathway/system then the “sex” hormones you mentioned. It would have no impact on estrogen, but I still don’t recommend it for women. IGF-1 can thicken the facial bones.......and nothing looks more UN-feminine then a woman with a big face (large nose, thickened cheekbones, ect).

muscles_1976
07-07-2009, 02:29 PM
assuming the above offseason diet is also a template for a 130lb female....should women aim for roughly 1g carbs per pound of bodyweight during offseason?

huge285
07-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Assuming the above offseason diet is also a template for a 130lb female....should women aim for roughly 1g carbs per pound of bodyweight during offseason?
DP: That's about right. I recommend just starting with the meal plan I laid out and adding small amounts of carb, gradually, if you aren’t gaining muscle.
____

DCtraininggirl
07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey Dave,

I have few questions. I've been fighting with my weight for 10 years and I am currently about 50 lbs overweight. I have started a low-carb ketogenic diet in which I will slowly start adding carbs back into my diet after a certain period of time. My fiancee and I are following one of your workout programs and he turned me on to this site. Also, I am on a contraceptive, Reclipsen. Do you know anything about what it does hormonally? I have always had menstrual issues and this seems to have regulated me quite nicely, but my sex drive has diminished and I have always suspected I have high testosterone levels bc I have a little hair where I shouldn't, and I have always been naturally exceptionally strong and built, though not lean. Also recently learned that apparently my body "oxidizes" food fast and that each meal and snack I have should consist of about 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs. I also have a high insulin tolerance, though not diabetic or hypoglycemic. So here are my questions:

1) Do you know if Reclipsen slows weight-loss?

2) Does organic matter in choosing my low carb fares?

3) How long do you recommends staying on a keto-genic /low-carb diet?

4) Are the 50% pro, 30% fat, and 20% carb ratios right for a normal diet, when I get off my ketogenic diet?

5) Is there any other supplementation you would recommend for me? (I take whey right bfore working out, along with a multi and 20mg ephedrine)

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, I know you are rediculously busy!

oklahomeskillet
07-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Question on cardio:

I have an extremely low resting heart rate, usually around 44bpm (genetic...I don't do much cardio in the off-season). It's very difficult for me to get my heart rate up high enough to get in the generic "fat-burning" zone of 120-130bpm, without jogging or going nuts on the StairMaster...which obviously isn't "low-intensity". Is the fat-burning zone relative to the individual? Or should I be shooting for 120-130bpm anyway?

Thanks,
Leah

~gymdiva~
07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
when would be the most optimal time to take the omegalyze and arthrolyze during the day?

Palumbos Boy
07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
when would be the most optimal time to take the omegalyze and arthrolyze during the day?

Id say best taken with your meals and Athrolyze one of the servings post workout

chicken breast
07-21-2009, 04:42 AM
Hi Dave,

Every time I compete within a week or two of the competition, I get severe cramping, usually while I am asleep. It's so painful, it wakes me up. It starts in my calves, then my hamstrings and sometimes moves to my quads and hands. By the time I am on stage posing, my legs are completely knotted with cramps and am unable to pose them. Why does this happen? Is there any way to prevent it? What can I do when I'm on stage and cramping?

Discipline
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months on what would be a typical figure diet (high protein/low carb) diet but hit a plateau in June. I figured I'd add more carbs and maintain my weight so I have more energy to lift heavier since prep wouldn't start intil August. I'm considering your diet, my prep starts in a few days now and was hoping you can give a few examples of what a cheat meal would look like, in detail. (e.g 2 slices of pizza and a small cup of ice cream w/topping). How much is to much? I have a problem with cheat meals and tend to go overboard. I'm afraid of blowing it after being so strict. Thanks

GirlyMuscle
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Dave, please tell me I can squeeze lemons into my water and sweeten it with stevia. please?

Lilr24
07-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Dave, I will start my 12 week comp diet the last week of aug. I've read alot about your diet, and wanted to try it for a month and see how i like it, or if i want to stick to the diet i used for my first comp. Which worked great as well. It was as follows: 30 gm whey shake
6 egg whites 1/3 c oatmeal
6 oz chicken 1/3 c rice 1/3 oats
30 gm shake
5 oz lean beef 1 c. greens
20 gm casein shake

I competed at 120 and am 130 now

Should i do the diet for women? Or maybe cut back on some of the fat?

Lilr24
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Correction, that should say 1/3 c. greens with my chicken and rice meal.

huge285
07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I have few questions. I've been fighting with my weight for 10 years and I am currently about 50 lbs overweight. I have started a low-carb ketogenic diet in which I will slowly start adding carbs back into my diet after a certain period of time. My fiancee and I are following one of your workout programs and he turned me on to this site. Also, I am on a contraceptive, Reclipsen. Do you know anything about what it does hormonally? I have always had menstrual issues and this seems to have regulated me quite nicely, but my sex drive has diminished and I have always suspected I have high testosterone levels bc I have a little hair where I shouldn't, and I have always been naturally exceptionally strong and built, though not lean. Also recently learned that apparently my body "oxidizes" food fast and that each meal and snack I have should consist of about 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs. I also have a high insulin tolerance, though not diabetic or hypoglycemic. So here are my questions:

1) Do you know if Reclipsen slows weight-loss?

2) Does organic matter in choosing my low carb fares?

3) How long do you recommends staying on a keto-genic /low-carb diet?

4) Are the 50% pro, 30% fat, and 20% carb ratios right for a normal diet, when I get off my ketogenic diet?

5) Is there any other supplementation you would recommend for me? (I take whey right bfore working out, along with a multi and 20mg ephedrine)

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, I know you are rediculously busy!
DP:
1. It might slow weight loss, it is a mix of an estrogen and progestin. Additional estrogen is not ideal for fat loss, but if you must stay on a birth control, then you have to accept that.

2. It really doesn’t matter. Sometimes the organic version is healthier overall and you don’t have to worry about any synthetic additives, but in terms of the short term results there is no difference.

3. You can stay on it indefinitely as long as you have a cheat meal once per week. I know people that have turned it into a lifestyle diet and love the results.

4. There is no “normal.” Everybody reacts differently. You can only find what works for you through experimenting and adjusting.

5. Do some reading here and in my Q&A in the Celebrity Q&A section and you will find my full supplement protocols. You are missing a lot. The most important that you are missing is a quality omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid supplement. For more detail do some research here at Rx Muscle.

____
I have an extremely low resting heart rate, usually around 44bpm (genetic...I don't do much cardio in the off-season). It's very difficult for me to get my heart rate up high enough to get in the generic "fat-burning" zone of 120-130bpm, without jogging or going nuts on the StairMaster...which obviously isn't "low-intensity". Is the fat-burning zone relative to the individual? Or should I be shooting for 120-130bpm anyway?
DP: You don’t need to get between 120-130….if you have good cardiovascular health it will be lower. Around 100bpm is probably better for you. You should be breathing comfortably and be able to have a conversation.
____
DP: Take them with meals throughout the day. Just don’t take the Omegalyze when you take your Fiberlyze.
____

MashkaNY
08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Hi Dave,

wondering how bad is it that i still havent got my period since i started your diet. Over half a year now no period.

Im doing the diet 2nd time now, i took less than 2 months break in bw the diets, during that time i didnt regain my period, and now that im on the diet again, im obviously not getting it either

just wondering if many of your female clients have this and how bad is it??? when do they normally get it back???
i feel like thats why my fat loss is much slower this time around.

im natural too dont know if that makes a difference

Lilr24
08-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Dave,

wondering how bad is it that i still havent got my period since i started your diet. Over half a year now no period.

Im doing the diet 2nd time now, i took less than 2 months break in bw the diets, during that time i didnt regain my period, and now that im on the diet again, im obviously not getting it either

just wondering if many of your female clients have this and how bad is it??? when do they normally get it back???
i feel like thats why my fat loss is much slower this time around.

im natural too dont know if that makes a difference

I don't get one either. It's been since Jan. I just started Dave's diet, but on my other comp. diet I did not get one either and am natural as well.

sba220
08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Dave will chime in soon, but its relative to your bodyfat. Most girls dont get it leading up to the show. For some is 12 weeks out, others it might go byebye at 4 weeks out. Its different for everyone.

For most ladies, it comes back soon after the show when you get some fat back in your diet and back on your body.

huge285
08-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm wondering how bad is it that i still haven't got my period since I started your diet. Over half a year now no period.

I'm doing the diet 2nd time now, I took less than 2 months break in between the diets, during that time I didn't regain my period, and now that I'm on the diet again, I'm obviously not getting it either

i feel like that's why my fat loss is much slower this time around.

I'm natural too don't know if that makes a difference

DP: This is a pretty typical phenomenon. Estrogen levels tend to fluctuate quite a bit in the female body. When you're in a dieting state where raw materials and excess food is scarce, the female body goes into a hibernation-like mode where it conserves energy. After the diet is over and your bodyfat levels increase, your period will return!

kptraining
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Dave,

I'm just following the question about not training legs in the last week before comp...is it OK to keep cardio in that last week? If so, should I lay off the stair climber, sprints, etc. and stick to "lighter on the legs" cardio?

huge285
08-06-2009, 03:47 AM
I'm just following the question about not training legs in the last week before comp...is it OK to keep cardio in that last week? If so, should I lay off the stair climber, sprints, etc. and stick to "lighter on the legs" cardio?

DP: You should keep doing cardio until Wednesday (before a Saturday show). Remember, keep it low intensity.
_____

klh_2342
08-14-2009, 01:08 PM
dave, i just started your offseason diet for woman. I have decided to try out womens bodybuilding rather than figure or bikini. I need to put on a lot of size. What is a good amount of weight gain each month. I dont want to gain to much to fast. If i do should i start taking carbs out? i am doing the exact diet you posted for offseason.

jennisue24
08-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm doing my second figure competition in 4 weeks. I've been doing the keto diet for this go round, I did not previously. I was wondering if I could get some insight into what to do the week of competition. I'm assuming there are some key things I need to be aware of as far as training and nutrition changes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jen

huge285
08-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Dave, i just started your offseason diet for woman. I have decided to try out womens bodybuilding rather than figure or bikini. I need to put on a lot of size. What is a good amount of weight gain each month. I dont want to gain to much to fast. If i do should i start taking carbs out? i am doing the exact diet you posted for offseason

DP: If you start gaining too much fat, then reduce the carbs. You might also need to go through periods of “mini-diets” where you go on my no-carb diet for 3-4 weeks to shed some fat.
_____
I'm doing my second figure competition in 4 weeks. I've been doing the keto diet for this go round, I did not previously. I was wondering if I could get some insight into what to do the week of competition. I'm assuming there are some key things I need to be aware of as far as training and nutrition changes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jen

DP: This is one of the services I offer..... You can sign up for the LAST WEEK PREP on my website at www.davepalumbo.com ......…or email me at [email protected] ([email protected]) to find out more.
_____

SallyAnne
08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Dave, i just started your offseason diet for woman. I have decided to try out womens bodybuilding rather than figure or bikini. I need to put on a lot of size. What is a good amount of weight gain each month. I dont want to gain to much to fast. If i do should i start taking carbs out? i am doing the exact diet you posted for offseason

DP: If you start gaining too much fat, then reduce the carbs. You might also need to go through periods of “mini-diets” where you go on my no-carb diet for 3-4 weeks to shed some fat.

You would suggest maybe 8 weeks of 'bulking' followed by a 4 week 'mini' diet in the off season?

klh_2342
08-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Dave,
If i were to do a mini-diet, I already do three days a week with my cardio. WOuld i want to up the cardio or just do the diet.
I have starting the offseason diet and been on it for two weeks now, thinking about waiting til i get back from olympia before i start a mini diet. those buffets and in-out burgers get ya!lol

InHonorInMind
08-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Hi Dave! I just started your Keto-Diet and am really excited...just have a few basic questions....

1) Can I use Xylitol? I bought a bag of Xylosweet at whole foods as I liked it better than stevia...is this ok ? http://www.xlear.com/xylosweet.aspx

2) Can we do the lemon/sweetner thing to water? (As GirlyMuscle Suggested) Since Crystal Light is out of the question with maltodextrin.

3) Sugar free gum.....Keeps me sane between meals....but is it 'really' sugar free and OK on your diet?

Thanks man, you're awesome! -CP

huge285
08-26-2009, 02:20 AM
If i were to do a mini-diet, I already do three days a week with my cardio. WOuld i want to up the cardio or just do the diet.
I have starting the offseason diet and been on it for two weeks now, thinking about waiting til i get back from olympia before i start a mini diet. those buffets and in-out burgers get ya!lol
DP: If you need to lose some bodyfat, use the contest diet along with cardio everyday…get the fat off quickly and then go back on a more moderate offseason plan.
_____
Hi Dave! I just started your Keto-Diet and am really excited...just have a few basic questions....

1) Can I use Xylitol? I bought a bag of Xylosweet at whole foods as I liked it better than stevia...is this ok ? http://www.xlear.com/xylosweet.aspx

2) Can we do the lemon/sweetner thing to water? (As GirlyMuscle Suggested) Since Crystal Light is out of the question with maltodextrin.

3) Sugar free gum.....Keeps me sane between meals....but is it 'really' sugar free and OK on your diet?

Thanks man, you're awesome! –CP
DP:
1. Stick with stevia or sucralose for your sweetner (pure sucralose, not Splenda that adds maltodextrin. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol which while "sugar-free" is not carb free!
2. Crystal Light is fine in moderation.
3. Only a few pieces per day.
____

therocks
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
I am challenged when it comes to these threads so I probably replied when I should have done something else. I saw that Dave recommends monohydrate rather than CEE. I've taken monohydrate with some serious bloating associated with the monohydrate. I drink a gallon of water plus per day. First, is there a way to not get the bloating; and second, would CEE not cause the bloating?

orange peel
08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Hi Dave,

2 ?'s for u:

1) since you you prefer to fat load your female clients should the cheat meals also resemble this or should they b mostly carbs with a little bit of fat?

(my cheat meals are pretty clean-i typically eat steamed asparagus, steel cut oats raw almonds, sweet potato and some organic pb-im not big on junk....i enjoy eating clean and LUV ur diet (especially protein/fat days)
im also on a 4:1 p/v to p/f ratio.....)

2) i store fat similar to the way men store fat-mostly in the abdominal area-and not really anywhere else-my abs seem to be taking forever to come out....that's the only thing im waiting on actually....any suggestions? (i do weights 4days a week and cardio twice every day-i always take care of my workout fasted with the exception of sundays in which i do my workout in the early afternoon and i always do cardio post workout/weight training and pm session is after my last meal of the day...

sorry i got a lil long winded-thanks in advance!

LauraW
09-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Dave,

What is the best food to eat for a cheat meal? Should it be carbs like pasta? And how much? Can it include a dessert or is it just one item? I feel like I go overboard once I get started and then I feel guilty later. Thanks.

huge285
09-06-2009, 04:54 AM
I am challenged when it comes to these threads so I probably replied when I should have done something else. I saw that Dave recommends monohydrate rather than CEE. I've taken monohydrate with some serious bloating associated with the monohydrate. I drink a gallon of water plus per day. First, is there a way to not get the bloating; and second, would CEE not cause the bloating?
DP: If you are taking a reputable brand of creatine monohydrate at 5g per day post workout, you shouldn’t have any side effects. Make sure you take it with plenty of water. CEE shouldn’t have any better/worse effects, but you can experiment with it to find out.
____
2 ?'s for u:

1) since you you prefer to fat load your female clients should the cheat meals also resemble this or should they b mostly carbs with a little bit of fat?

(my cheat meals are pretty clean-i typically eat steamed asparagus, steel cut oats raw almonds, sweet potato and some organic pb-im not big on junk....i enjoy eating clean and LUV ur diet (especially protein/fat days)
im also on a 4:1 p/v to p/f ratio.....)

2) i store fat similar to the way men store fat-mostly in the abdominal area-and not really anywhere else-my abs seem to be taking forever to come out....that's the only thing im waiting on actually....any suggestions? (i do weights 4days a week and cardio twice every day-i always take care of my workout fasted with the exception of sundays in which i do my workout in the early afternoon and i always do cardio post workout/weight training and pm session is after my last meal of the day...

sorry i got a lil long winded-thanks in advance!
DP:
1. The cheat meal should have carbs, fat, and protein. Just don’t go overboard with any one nutrient.
2. You should increase the duration of your cardio first. If that isn’t working, you need to incorporate some days of no fat, mixed in with the higher fat days. Lastly, you can eliminate the cheat meal.

orange peel
09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks dave! btw great info in the video that you did on probodybuilding.com very helpful!!!

huge285
09-08-2009, 02:36 AM
What is the best food to eat for a cheat meal? Should it be carbs like pasta? And how much? Can it include a dessert or is it just one item? I feel like I go overboard once I get started and then I feel guilty later. Thanks.

DP: You can have anything you like, just go easy with your portions. The cheat meal should include carbs, fat, and protein.

Flex Gym
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Just wondering....My fiance' is allergic to eggs and doesnt want to do a million protein shake meals....what is good in place of the eggs when she starts dieting for her figure show?

For a 130lb+ Female

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

BadAssBarbie
09-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Dave,
Your diet worked wonders for me!! However, I think I just figured out another way for me to diet!! As u know, I am right footed. Tonight I tried to eat with my left foot! It DOES NOT work!! So, I guess if you want to keep food out of my mouth, make me eat with my left foot!! How effective do you think this strategy would be when I'm getting ready for jr's next year???
I hope to hear your answer soon:)

sunshine1230
09-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I have just started the keto meal plan. I am having a hard time getting down all of those eggs in the morning. I am wondering if it is possible to cut the amount of eggs down?
thanks

huge285
10-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Just wondering....My fiance' is allergic to eggs and doesnt want to do a million protein shake meals....what is good in place of the eggs when she starts dieting for her figure show?
DP: You can substitute any of the other meals.

shana
10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey Dave,

What are your thoughts on DHEA for off season muscle hypertrophy? I wanted to know how long after competing would you wait to start this?with the dhea, since it can convert to test, what dose do you recommend for a woman, how do you cycle it to prevent androgenic effects, and is there a company you recommmend?

What are your thoughts about beta-alanine, forskyln ( I dont know if I spelled that correctly), and creatine as well?

Thank you

huge285
10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Your diet worked wonders for me!! However, I think I just figured out another way for me to diet!! As u know, I am right footed. Tonight I tried to eat with my left foot! It DOES NOT work!! So, I guess if you want to keep food out of my mouth, make me eat with my left foot!! How effective do you think this strategy would be when I'm getting ready for jr's next year???
I hope to hear your answer soon
DP: BARB, how about a tie your right foot to the side of your head……..I bet that’ll work too! Congrats on getting married. I was really hoping JIMMY THE BULL would ask you about “foot jobs”!
____
I have just started the keto meal plan. I am having a hard time getting down all of those eggs in the morning. I am wondering if it is possible to cut the amount of eggs down?
DP: Just suck it up and eat them…you’ll appreciate it later when you’re hungry.
_____
What are your thoughts on DHEA for off season muscle hypertrophy? I wanted to know how long after competing would you wait to start this?with the dhea, since it can convert to test, what dose do you recommend for a woman, how do you cycle it to prevent androgenic effects, and is there a company you recommend?

What are your thoughts about beta-alanine, forskyln ( I dont know if I spelled that correctly), and creatine as well?
DP: DHEA is a great supplement for women to get a slight increase in muscle building potential without the risks of stronger steroids. Older mean do great on 100-300mg per day as well. Creatine is great (5g post workout) and I’ve heard some good things about beta-alanine, but I don’t think it’s critical.

BadAssBarbie
10-09-2009, 06:05 PM
[quote=huge285;568351]Your diet worked wonders for me!! However, I think I just figured out another way for me to diet!! As u know, I am right footed. Tonight I tried to eat with my left foot! It DOES NOT work!! So, I guess if you want to keep food out of my mouth, make me eat with my left foot!! How effective do you think this strategy would be when I'm getting ready for jr's next year???
I hope to hear your answer soon
DP: BARB, how about a tie your right foot to the side of your head……..I bet that’ll work too! Congrats on getting married. I was really hoping JIMMY THE BULL would ask you about “foot jobs”!
____

Sounds like a plan, Dave! I'll have Q tie me up right now!! hehe

shana
10-10-2009, 11:06 PM
caffeine

Hey Dave,

I wanted to know why I get tired after drinking coffee or espresso, especially starbuck's. I had my blood levels checked and everything is ok. Is there anything I can do to feel the effects again? I took off from all stims and caffeine for a week already. thank you

trinigirl
10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
hi dave,
have slight distention but not using anything that would distend it, only carbs are yam and farina(3 weeks out)... experience bloat after meal with no carb, ...normal???

sexydoc
10-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Dave,
I am new, and these are my humble beginnings. I have learnt a lot in the past two years, when i discovered body building. Lost 20lbs on a ketogenic diet. From 130 to 106. I've been reading all your Q and A all day today
I will be following your precontest diet. But I am in the Carribean island and I do not have access to a goo whey protein or whey isolate. I dont want to take the one with any sugar in it, because it will spike my insulin and that usually makes me feel horrible. So my question is, can I replace that meal with another protein source, chicken/turkey/meat etc?
Thankyou for being so humble and sharing all your knowledge gained over the years with us.

BadAssBarbie
10-17-2009, 07:11 PM
All of the meals on his plan are interchangeable. You can have any of the other meals in place of a shake!

huge285
10-21-2009, 04:04 AM
I wanted to know why I get tired after drinking coffee or espresso, especially starbuck's. I had my blood levels checked and everything is ok. Is there anything I can do to feel the effects again? I took off from all stims and caffeine for a week already. thank you
DP: You probably need to just take a couple weeks off.
____
have slight distention but not using anything that would distend it, only carbs are yam and farina(3 weeks out)... experience bloat after meal with no carb, ...normal???
DP: You probably need to increase your fiber intake…try my FIBERLYZE twice per day, every day. That will get you cleaned out and ensure optimal colon health.
_____
I am new, and these are my humble beginnings. I have learnt a lot in the past two years, when i discovered body building. Lost 20lbs on a ketogenic diet. From 130 to 106. I've been reading all your Q and A all day today
I will be following your precontest diet. But I am in the Carribean island and I do not have access to a goo whey protein or whey isolate. I dont want to take the one with any sugar in it, because it will spike my insulin and that usually makes me feel horrible. So my question is, can I replace that meal with another protein source, chicken/turkey/meat etc?
Thankyou for being so humble and sharing all your knowledge gained over the years with us.
DP: Just repeat the egg meal or the lean protein meal.
****_____

ScorpioChiq
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Dave,
I almost never have starchy carbs and offseason I stick mainly to the pro/veg diet with 1-2 fruits per day and additional veggies added. REason being is that my fasting blood glucose levels test right under the healthy range regardless so I am pretty sure I am insuline resistant to some degree (I never have sugar or high glycemic food so I am not sure why this is). Someone suggested that i take a low dose of IGF-1 for 2 weeks to improve insulin sensitivity. What do you think? I take fish oils and even 600mcg chromium per day but my fasting glucose levels never budge ...

Achilleus
12-20-2009, 11:30 PM
HI Dave,

What PCT should a female follow after a cycle of anavar?

djh0582
12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Wasup Dave, My ? is I've been training with my wife(She lost over 40 pounds) and now she wants to build muscle. I've learn to bulid muscle(strength) myself and now i'm showing her, in exchange she has me doing more cardio because my diet sucks. She just wants to build definition, not muscler looking. The problem is she doesn't think taking any supplements like Whey protein, etc. helps. Now I just added HIIT into our workouts, should I incourage supplements? And what would you reccommend?

ciara borrett
12-28-2009, 07:35 AM
hi dave,

well, where do i start.
this has been an on going problem since BEFORE i started competing my question is more health/medical related so im hoping you can help me as i have googled it, and absolutely nothing.

ok this is going to be pretty long, had problems with my ovaries for years given im only 22 its a bit scary.
cut a long story short i recently received my blood results back as i was worried about my weight gain and how badly i have reacted to this seasons 'OFF SEASON' anyhow took 6weeks off completely after last comp 26th sep i didnt completely pig out.
anyways i would like some info/help/advice on if there is anything i can do for a girl with progesteron completely surpressed as well as my hypothalamus is not secreting any hormones.
i would jus like to knw if there is anything i can do to speed up the process of bringing everything back up to normal or do i have to sit this one and wait it out?

was adviced to go completely off supplementation for a whole 4weeks, is this correct?

flick161
12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi Dave,

I just wondered whether you've ever experienced any ladies you've having their legs smoothing out who are on the keto diet?

huge285
12-30-2009, 03:21 AM
I almost never have starchy carbs and offseason I stick mainly to the pro/veg diet with 1-2 fruits per day and additional veggies added. Reason being is that my fasting blood glucose levels test right under the healthy range regardless so I am pretty sure I am insulin resistant to some degree (I never have sugar or high glycemic food so I am not sure why this is). Someone suggested that i take a low dose of IGF-1 for 2 weeks to improve insulin sensitivity. What do you think? I take fish oils and even 600mcg chromium per day but my fasting glucose levels never budge ...
DP: IGF-1 won't improve insulin resistance although it will definitely lower blood sugar to some degree. As a woman, you don't want to be pounding IGF-1. You'll get facial bone and the cartilage in your nose thickening. I'd take out the fruits and add in some more Omega-3 fats and monounsaturated fats such as macadamia nut oil. On such a low carb diet, your blood sugars should be totally normal. You might have a predisposition to type 2 diabetes. Does it run in your family?
_____
What PCT should a female follow after a cycle of anavar?
DP: None….women don’t need to follow a PCT because they have no natural testosterone production to restart like a man does.
_____
Wasup Dave, My ? is I've been training with my wife(She lost over 40 pounds) and now she wants to build muscle. I've learn to bulid muscle(strength) myself and now i'm showing her, in exchange she has me doing more cardio because my diet sucks. She just wants to build definition, not muscler looking. The problem is she doesn't think taking any supplements like Whey protein, etc. helps. Now I just added HIIT into our workouts, should I incourage supplements? And what would you recommend?

DP: She doesn’t need a ton of stuff….explain to her that a quality whey isolate isn’t a supplement, it's an amazing food and source of the protein her body requires. She should also be supplementing with Omega3 & 6 essential fatty acids for her general health….these are the minimum.
_____
well, where do i start.
this has been an ongoing problem since BEFORE i started competing my question is more health/medical related so im hoping you can help me as i have googled it, and absolutely nothing.

ok this is going to be pretty long, had problems with my ovaries for years given I'm only 22 it's a bit scary.
cut a long story short I recently received my blood results back as I was worried about my weight gain and how badly i have reacted to this seasons 'OFF SEASON' anyhow took 6weeks off completely after last comp 26th sep I didn't completely pig out.
anyways i would like some info/help/advice on if there is anything i can do for a girl with progesterone completely suppressed as well as my hypothalamus is not secreting any hormones.
I would just like to know if there is anything i can do to speed up the process of bringing everything back up to normal or do i have to sit this one and wait it out?

was advised to go completely off supplementation for a whole 4weeks, is this correct?
DP: Are your hormone levels suppressed because you were cycling anabolic steroids? You never made that clear.

ciara borrett
12-30-2009, 03:28 AM
nope anabolics involed.
aside from GH which is not an anabolic

Mufasa
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Question for you, Dave:

I noticed that during your interview with Ava Cowan after her win at the 2009 NPC Eastern USA Figure Overall, the topic of "Metabolic Damage" came up...and it got an obvious chuckle out of you.

Do you believe that "Metabolic Damage" is a real syndrome?

If not why...and if you do believe its real...what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks, Dave!

Amber-Leigh
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Dave

I have a ketchup type sauce that is sweetened with sucralose, 2mg. its 1tbsp 5cals, 0 fat, 1 carb. Can I have it with my eggs?

Also can I have cream with my coffee?

carly
01-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi Dave I am 147lb figure competitor (off season) for meal 1 would you recommend 2 or 3 yolks with 6 egg whites?

Thank You

zubbeyboy
01-11-2010, 01:40 AM
My wife 38 years old is following your womens diet. She has been on the diet for almost 3 weeks and only lost 2 pounds. I feel bad she has been bustin her ass

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

Cardio 30 Minutes daily. She was letting her HR get to 140 even though i told her not to.
Resist training 4 days a week. 3 Lipolyze and 6 Omegalyze daily.
She has been very consistent with diet. She was putting Salsa on her eggs i found out after having her write down her food. She says like 2 grams carbs worth.

Should i switch her to the Veggie Protein Diet you have? Or did the salsa mess her up that bad?
I searched RX for hours and cant find your Protein Veggie diet for women???

carly
01-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Also could you explain why you add 1 Tablespoon of Olive oil with steak or salmon, as they are already high in fats, which would take it over 10g fat for that meal?? Thank you xx

carly
01-13-2010, 10:52 AM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/DrawPagel.png?Pagels=eNpVjkELgkAQhfspc1NhyTx02aN5C PIgGHWIiMUd3IFNwd0wkPW3t5pFneYx8%2BZ9b2zpRNgXokYNw yQ5BNO45VhjI9P2GTCYFpmwgsPY0vcAw5mkVRyS7ZpB2j2M10F BuFOis4n%2F2yPVys4Gx%2BBA0nC4jG9k1om%2BWbjuyiBHbxy WlLBEjZU9KryjDD%2BRcampwtmCJt5EkQ%2F1Pfh%2FkV%2BoW 70A5aJLBg%3D%3DFat
( 47
%)http://forums.rxmuscle.com/DrawPagel.png?Pagels=eNpVjkELgkAQhfspc1NhSQy67NE8B HkQjDpExOIO7sCmoBsGsvvbW82iTvOYefO%2B51o6EQ6FqFHDO EkOwTRuOdbYyLR9BgymRSaM4OBa%2Bh5gPJM0ikOyXTNIu0fvd VAQ7pTozMb%2F7ZFqZWaDZXAg2XO4uDcy68TQLFx7ZZCjN45LS liixsocFd5Rhp%2FIuNRU4WzBPk6iyIf6Hvy%2FyC%2FUrl7mT 0sICarbs
( 4
%)http://forums.rxmuscle.com/DrawPagel.png?Pagels=eNpVjkELgkAQhfspc1NhSSq67NE8B HkQjDpExOIOuwOmsLthIPrbW82iTvOYefO%2BNzR0ImxzobCCb pQcgnHcMlRYy6R5BgzGRSqc4DA09D1AdybpNIfVdskgMQ%2Frd ZAT7rQwbuP%2F9khKu8nQMziQtBwuwxuZGtHWM7e%2FMsjQG7s 5JSywwtIdNd5Rhp%2FIuKioxMmCNl5HkQ%2F1Pfh%2FkV9ov3g B5vxLCg%3D%3DProtein
( 49
%)http://forums.rxmuscle.com/DrawPagel.png?Pagels=eNpVjkELgkAQhfspc1NBkqguezQPQ R4Eow4RsbSDO7Ct4W6YiP72VrOo0zzmvcf7%2BpIOhHXGC1TQD pKBN5xLigVqEZdPL4ThkXDLGfQlfQ1ojySsZLBYz0OIq4dx2ss IN5JXduV6W6RC2jHQhZCik%2B2U83NUeLV7iTcU%2FqcU5YquO EbQRMsgcLUdCcPg1L9Jk4rXesLtziEY2yh0s4LMXfGGAWlFGt2 4I2T%2FiL843ewFEpRUAA%3D%3DAlcohol
( 0
%)

How does this look for macros?

GramsCalories%-CalsCalories1,536
Fat80.9
%Saturated12.2
%Polyunsaturated9.0
%Monounsaturated36.8
%Carbohydrate15.1
%Dietary Fiber4.3
Protein180.4
%Alcohol0.0
%

Thank you in advance xxx

huge285
01-19-2010, 02:54 AM
I noticed that during your interview with Ava Cowan after her win at the 2009 NPC Eastern USA Figure Overall, the topic of "Metabolic Damage" came up...and it got an obvious chuckle out of you.

Do you believe that "Metabolic Damage" is a real syndrome?

If not why...and if you do believe its real...what are your thoughts on it?

DP: No, I don’t believe it’s a real syndrome. All of the symptoms and issues that I hear surrounding “metabolic damage” are easily solved. I’ve heard of many females that can't lose weight after long durations on low calorie diets and the easy solution to this is to take a break from dieting, but do so in moderation. You can't grow forever, that’s why there are no 500lb bodybuilders. Likewise you can't diet forever and expect to always stay in contest shape. The key is the cycle up and down and always do so in moderation. Another issue I’ve heard associated with metabolic damage is the infamous post-contest rebound which is really just over eating and usually the immediate stoppage of cardio and drugs. A logical and gradual transition from diet to offseason will always solve this problem.
_____
I have a ketchup type sauce that is sweetened with sucralose, 2mg. its 1tbsp 5cals, 0 fat, 1 carb. Can I have it with my eggs?

Also can I have cream with my coffee?
DP: No and no….not if you want optimal results from my diet.
_____
Hi Dave I am 147lb figure competitor (off season) for meal 1 would you recommend 2 or 3 yolks with 6 egg whites?
DP: 2 yolks.
____
My wife 38 years old is following your womens diet. She has been on the diet for almost 3 weeks and only lost 2 pounds. I feel bad she has been bustin her ass

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

Cardio 30 Minutes daily. She was letting her HR get to 140 even though i told her not to.
Resist training 4 days a week. 3 Lipolyze and 6 Omegalyze daily.
She has been very consistent with diet. She was putting Salsa on her eggs i found out after having her write down her food. She says like 2 grams carbs worth.

Should i switch her to the Veggie Protein Diet you have? Or did the salsa mess her up that bad?
I searched RX for hours and can't find your Protein Veggie diet for women???

DP: Have her start 2 days on the protein-fat diet and 1 day on the protein-veggie diet (below) and continue to rotate that way:

MEAL #1
10 egg whites

MEAL #2
40g Whey protein Isolate***

MEAL #3
5oz chicken (ostrich, turkey, tuna) with 1-cup asparagus or green beans

MEAL #4
5oz white fish (fluke, flounder, sole, cod, ect.) with a green salad with vinegar & mustard (no olive or macadamia nut oil)

MEAL #5
35g Whey protein Isolate or 10 egg whites
____
Also could you explain why you add 1 Tablespoon of Olive oil with steak or salmon, as they are already high in fats, which would take it over 10g fat for that meal?? Thank you xx
DP: 10g of fat is not enough ......we're aiming for 20-30g fat (depending on how big the person is)

herekittykitty
01-31-2010, 12:57 AM
You mentioned in the last video that Heather Mae French was fired from the lingerie football league? May I ask how come?
Thanks

sba220
02-01-2010, 01:40 AM
You mentioned in the last video that Heather Mae French was fired from the lingerie football league? May I ask how come?
Thanks

She had to choose between the Olympia and a football game. We think she made the right choice. :yep:

herekittykitty
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
She had to choose between the Olympia and a football game. We think she made the right choice. :yep:

Oh wow... hell yes she did! :beerbang:
Thanks for the response Dros!! ;)

figuremom
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I will be 6 weeks out this Sat and my upper body is show ready, but my lower is behind. I am 5'5, 132, and 14.6%BF, all of which is in my legs. :dunno:

I am following your contest diet, started dieting 18 weeks out. I only have carbs on Sat night for my cheat meal. What can I change to bring my legs down? Should I start running instead of walking on the treadmill?

Also, what do figure girls eat the night before a show and the morning of?? Is it the same as a bodybuilder?

Thank you so much:hmn:

biceps-ella
02-13-2010, 04:34 AM
hello Dave i am Mihaela from Romania,do u think if i stick to my diet meening 60% protein and 40% carbs something like that and start ur keto diet with 3 months before my show i can get in shape? and the omega-3 eggs can be replaced with anything ells? if i will be in romania in that period when i want to start this diet not sure if i can find them.
thx a lot
p.s. i have read here the things u are teaching and was really helpful,u got recomandet by sheila beck :) she is great help too.

fitbody
02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
happy birthday Big Daddy ~ wishing you the most wonderful day :flowers:

SallyAnne
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm pretty relieved, actually. I think she was risking serious injury in the football league.

tammyp
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
happy birthday dave:)

margo
02-17-2010, 03:26 PM
DP: 10g of fat is not enough ......we're aiming for 20-30g fat (depending on how big the person is)

How much fat should I aim at on Protein/Fat day when trying to maintain.... I´m #135 and 5'9 ?
I always thought 10g was enough...

Delphene
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Dave, just wondering of there are any quicker, less painful ways to get into ketosis? I am a going to start my diet for show in March but I am also a mom of a 4 year old and work full-time. I get super horrible withdrawl effects...eventhough they only last a couple of days, it can be pretty powerful with excruciating headaches and nausea. I can't afford to hibernate or be in my own world in those 2 days and just wondered if you have any suggestions? I have read some of Dan Duchaine's tips for getting into ketosis quicker and with less trauma and just wondered if you agree with those from Body Opus?

BOHICA762
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
First of all thank you for your site and the info you provide for all of us! Jim Mulvey turned me to your direction and guidance. Wife is following the above diet, but she is 32 5'3" 125ish, should she add,stay or take away from the above diet. she does the cardio with me as well as the same strentgh training routine. m cardio only tue shoulder traps wed arms thurs legs fri cardio only sat chest sun back. again thank you for everything!!!

huge285
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
I will be 6 weeks out this Sat and my upper body is show ready, but my lower is behind. I am 5'5, 132, and 14.6%BF, all of which is in my legs.

I am following your contest diet, started dieting 18 weeks out. I only have carbs on Sat night for my cheat meal. What can I change to bring my legs down? Should I start running instead of walking on the treadmill?

Also, what do figure girls eat the night before a show and the morning of?? Is it the same as a bodybuilder?

Thank you so much
DP: It sounds like you need to hire me directly to make the adjustments….
____
hello Dave i am Mihaela from Romania,do u think if i stick to my diet meening 60% protein and 40% carbs something like that and start ur keto diet with 3 months before my show i can get in shape? and the omega-3 eggs can be replaced with anything ells? if i will be in romania in that period when i want to start this diet not sure if i can find them.
thx a lot
p.s. i have read here the things u are teaching and was really helpful, u got recommended by sheila beck she is great help too
DP: If you can't get Omega-3 eggs, just use regular eggs….you have to work with what you have. I can't tell you how long you need to diet to get in shape, that’s what people hire me for. It takes a lot more discussion and analysis for me to know.
_____
Dave, just wondering of there are any quicker, less painful ways to get into ketosis? I am a going to start my diet for show in March but I am also a mom of a 4 year old and work full-time. I get super horrible withdrawl effects...eventhough they only last a couple of days, it can be pretty powerful with excruciating headaches and nausea. I can't afford to hibernate or be in my own world in those 2 days and just wondered if you have any suggestions? I have read some of Dan Duchaine's tips for getting into ketosis quicker and with less trauma and just wondered if you agree with those from Body Opus?
DP: It’s only a couple days….tough it out! If you cant make it through the first two days how will you survive the diet?
____
First of all thank you for your site and the info you provide for all of us! Jim Mulvey turned me to your direction and guidance. Wife is following the above diet, but she is 32 5'3" 125ish, should she add,stay or take away from the above diet. she does the cardio with me as well as the same strentgh training routine. m cardio only tue shoulder traps wed arms thurs legs fri cardio only sat chest sun back. again thank you for everything!!!
DP: The diet should be perfect for her as is!
____
im 12 weeks out from my contest. i am on your keto diet. i am doing cardio on my off days for 30min right now and keeping my heart rate at 125-130 and i keep getting dizzy and clammy at about 20 minutes in. what i end up doing is binging on something like natty PB and i feel better.....any help?
DP: Lower the speed of your cardio.
_____

what kind of coloring protocol do you recommend for a competitor that is super white and doesnt tan?
DP: You need to get sprayed before your show….see if one of the popular companies like Jan Tana or Liquid Sunrays will be at your show.
_____
Hi Dave,
I had purchased Pump N Pose from your website. After using it a few times, I have noticed some large bubbles on the bottom of the bottle. They look like air bubbles, but don't rise to the top. What are they?
I bought 3 bottles and all 3 have these kind of bubbles which come after I start using a little from them.

DP: If you heat up the bottles in some boiling water (just dunk in some hot water for a few minutes), they should dissolve......they're probably just oil globules that came "out of solution"
_____
What is the best type of red meat to eat on your keto diet and your mass phase diet Dave?

DP: Lean ground beef (90%+),, filet, or top round.
_____

If one was dieting keto for say 16-20 weeks, could you use carnitine and green tea extract the whole time, slowly increasing your doses to a safe maximum and still find that they assist with bf reduction in the latter weeks? Or should they be cycled for maximum effectiveness??
DP: You can use them the whole time.

hes179
03-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi,
i am definately looking to use this diet to see how it would work if i decide to do a show, so i am experimenting. due to my work hours, the only time i can go to the gym is 1st thing in the am, and have to do cardio and weights in the same timeframe. how can i organize my workouts to maximize fat loss? should i do cardio first, since i'll have an empty stomach (currently 1hr (30min elliptical,30 treadmill), or eat a meal early in the morning (4 am), and then weights (usually around 1 hr session) followed by cardio? any advise would be great. also, does HIIT keep you out of keto?

Delphene
03-18-2010, 02:49 AM
[FONT=&quot]DP: It’s only a couple days….tough it out! If you cant make it through the first two days how will you survive the diet?

Thanks so much, Dave. As usual you are absolutely right! no easy way, or everyone would look great, right?

hes179
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM
if i start the diet exactly as indicated for the female version, begining with the p/v then 2 days p/f, the repeating the alternation, is there enough fat in the diet to put you in ketosis? is the fish oil supplement and epo enough on the p/v days? Just wondering

sba220
03-24-2010, 12:48 AM
if i start the diet exactly as indicated for the female version, begining with the p/v then 2 days p/f, the repeating the alternation, is there enough fat in the diet to put you in ketosis? is the fish oil supplement and epo enough on the p/v days? Just wondering

Fat doesnt put you in ketosis, the lack of available glycogen signals your body to start using ketones for fuel....the ketones are created when your body breaks down fat (hopfully bodyfat and not what you are eating).

sba220
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi,
i am definately looking to use this diet to see how it would work if i decide to do a show, so i am experimenting. due to my work hours, the only time i can go to the gym is 1st thing in the am, and have to do cardio and weights in the same timeframe. how can i organize my workouts to maximize fat loss? should i do cardio first, since i'll have an empty stomach (currently 1hr (30min elliptical,30 treadmill), or eat a meal early in the morning (4 am), and then weights (usually around 1 hr session) followed by cardio? any advise would be great. also, does HIIT keep you out of keto?

You should eat a meal, then weight train, then hit the cardio. HIIT has no effect on being in ketosis or not, but high intensity cardio requires glycogen and you have none, so your body will make sugars available by breaking down muscle (aminos). Stick to low intensity cardio if you are going to use Dave's diet plan.

hes179
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
thank you so much for the help:) LISS it is. It's definately a big change from the 60 min of HISS i was doing everyday, and getting over the mental challenge of going from HISS to LISS to get results takes a little bit of focus, but i'm doing it.

sba220
03-24-2010, 01:43 PM
thank you so much for the help:) LISS it is. It's definately a big change from the 60 min of HISS i was doing everyday, and getting over the mental challenge of going from HISS to LISS to get results takes a little bit of focus, but i'm doing it.

Everyone I know (including me) suffered from the transition....you go through a week of feeling like you arent doing anything. Then as the diet starts to do its thing and the results come, you get a better sense of why you are doing things this way.

And if you were to try to push the pace, your body lets you know very quickly and harshly that high intensity cardio aint happening.

crossbellas
04-03-2010, 09:01 AM
My 20 yr old daughter is doing her first competion (bikini) on May15. she weighs 135 @ 18% bf. she has been doing cardio twice per day and would like to know if her diet is on track for her goal.
Her daily totals look like this...
4/2/2010
1421 calories
244g protien
36.1g fat
37.1g carbs
35.2g fiber
4/1/2010
1630 calories
283g pro
42g fat
47g
She has dropped around 1% bf consistantly for the last 3 weeks.

crossbellas
04-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Sorry i hit the wrong key! lol
47g carbs and 32g fiber on 4/1
Thanks for helping!

biomax
04-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Hi Dave
Can a woman that is Type 1 diabetic follow your Keto diet or does she need to adapt it?

Thanx

Delphene
04-18-2010, 11:53 AM
In your seminar dvd (absolutely a great great substitute if a person can't get to your seminar live)!!! anyway, in your seminar dvd, you mentioned a person can get fish oil by prescription and it is called "olmecor". I don't know how it is spelled to google it. We have an amazing prescription coverage plan at work and i was going to get one for fish oil however, is it a natural fish oil or synthetic/made from chemicals? I want to look up the info myself but nothing comes up if I type in Olmecor or Almecor...

thanks so much Dave!

delphene

hes179
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
google Omacor

Delphene
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
google Omacor

THANK-YOU SOOOOO much! great information

delphene

fitbody
04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks so much, Dave. As usual you are absolutely right! no easy way, or everyone would look great, right?

this is my 2nd yr doing keto
last yr it hit me day 3
this yr it hit me day 4
after that one day of feelin weird, emotional, tired, irritible etc
then i'm fine

if you focus on what you are not gettin like CARBS and wanting them
of course "that you think about you bring about"
and you are making it hard on yourself cuz you feel like you're denying yourself
but if you instead focus on that you want to be lean and this is what you gotta eat to be lean
then you will enjoy the journey instead of making it torture
so much of BB is mental

btw i'm 11 days into keto 100 % perfect

Delphene
04-20-2010, 09:43 PM
this is my 2nd yr doing keto
last yr it hit me day 3
this yr it hit me day 4
after that one day of feelin weird, emotional, tired, irritible etc
then i'm fine

if you focus on what you are not gettin like CARBS and wanting them
of course "that you think about you bring about"
and you are making it hard on yourself cuz you feel like you're denying yourself
but if you instead focus on that you want to be lean and this is what you gotta eat to be lean
then you will enjoy the journey instead of making it torture
so much of BB is mental

btw i'm 11 days into keto 100 % perfect

Great information! and I do truly believe so much of this is "mental attitude" though like you spoke of above, it is somewhat physiological and there are side-effects though they can be made worse by our attiutde toward our prep.

huge285
05-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Can a woman that is Type 1 diabetic follow your Keto diet or does she need to adapt it?

DP: My diet is perfect for diabetics (type 1 and type 2). However, you will find that your insulin requirements decrease significantly.
____
In your seminar dvd (absolutely a great great substitute if a person can't get to your seminar live)!!! anyway, in your seminar dvd, you mentioned a person can get fish oil by prescription and it is called "olmecor". I don't know how it is spelled to google it. We have an amazing prescription coverage plan at work and i was going to get one for fish oil however, is it a natural fish oil or synthetic/made from chemicals? I want to look up the info myself but nothing comes up if I type in Olmecor or Almecor...

DP: It's called LOVAZA now........ask your doctor!

nicoledominique
05-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for providing some great information!

1. Are the EFA requirements while on your diet the same for both men and women (Fish oil 3x per day & evening primrose oil 2x per day)?

2. And, what is your opinion on supplementing with Chia Seed, in addition to Metamucil, while on your diet?

Thanks again!

nicoledominique
05-22-2010, 07:53 PM
^^ #1 should say "Fish oil 3 capsules (1000mg), 3x per day & Evening Primrose Oil (1300mg) 2x per day.

Rick Prince
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Dave there has been some talk on the forum about fat loading women for a show and not using carbs.

How much fat do you typically use to fat load a figure girl or female bodybuilder for a show?

Thanks for a great site and column.

~gymdiva~
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I follow Pauline Nordin's Fighter Diet on facebook and some of the stuff she posts I question....what's your opinion on this? wouldn't you want to absorb more fat anyway? isn't that kind of the point if you're taking it in?

Fighter Diet Nuts are better choice than nut butters. I believe more calories get lost and undigested in nuts. Nut butters are almost predigested due to the smooth texture, meaning you should absorb way more fat from those than from whole nuts. The intestine spits some out when you give it some hard to chew on nuts;-)

figure11
07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Dave...I am 1.5 wks out from a figure show. I've had problems with constipation throughout my prep, but have it taken care of. For my previous shows I've dropped veggies and sugar free metamucil starting 4 days before the show. I'm a little nervous about this with my previous problems. Do you think it would be harmful to leave them in the last 4 days or would it be better to go with a colon cleanse?

Julez32
08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
hello dave .. i have ben on the isageneixs cleans and looking to get off the pills n junk ! i am looking to start this diet tomorrow so i am a lil concerned since i am a vegan ... first i weigh 135 lbs at 5'6 and want to get to my 120 lb goal ;-) so i plan on starting asap! first . can i iuse unsweetend spur-itien shakes instead of whey ? second can i use tofu instead of meat ? and third what goals do you set for carbs/protien.fats a day ? and foruth what supplements do you reccomend ? i am taking now apothe cherry 1 tbplsn a day for sleep ;-) and 2 fiber cleanse pills a day also i take c alcuim n mag and amulti thats all ,,, i am trying to to d thi natural and as clean naturally as possible .. any advice would be great and please let know as soon as you can since i want to start asap ... funny one of my co workers turned me on to this n now i want to start today ! haha also i do work out 5-7 days a week.. run 2-3 days and do a boot camp class 3 days a week wich is pretty intense .. i also am going to go back to yoga n place of running 2-3 days a week ... nd on my off days i walk ... thanx i anxiously await your reply

julia

Julez32
08-31-2010, 10:58 PM
also how many grams protein ? calories? fats? carbs? a day
i listed all my foods it came to 1292 calories.. 46 fat ...61 carbs ...161 prtien ... i am 1333 lbs n 5'6 n wanting to get to my 120 goal ;-)

karladoll
09-04-2010, 09:00 PM
i've been a lurker for some time now, but decided to go ahead and post. i've recently gotten very serious about competing but i have a long way to go. i've recently dropped about 20lbs (in about 8 weeks) following a low carb/little to no fat diet. and that worked really well, but i've sort of stalled out, and decided to finally bite the bullet and try dave's keto diet for women. i have a few questions. first, i've looked for the suggestions on supps on this diet but i can't find it (as the earlier poster posted is it fish oil 3 caps 3x day and epo 1 cap 2x?) are there other recommended supps? also, how do you feel about casein protein? would this be a suitable substitute for the meal 5 shake? also, i've been drinking jacked for a preworkout kick, and sciviations xtend during workouts, are these acceptable on the diet or no?

fitange
09-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi dave and lovely to se u on here.

I am new here and and this is my first post. I wanted to try out your diet to lose a bit more BF. Eating Low carb now and would like to change things as I have come to a plateau.
The diet is based on 130 lb female, but how can i adjust it for me being at 116 lbs.
I am new to this, so sorry if I sound uneducated, It's cause I am and would like to learn.. LOL.

thanks so much

Angie

fitnessghurl
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey there! I'm new to your site and your diet and am excited to see changes! I'm not a competitor just wanna have a hot bod!

A couple questions. Does my weekly cheat meal have to be meal 5? Can it be meal 3 (lunch) or 4? Should it be on an off gym day?

I have recently switched my workouts to bootcamp style class, spinning, yoga, crossfit and kettlebells doing each once per week, 1 hr each. (sometimes I double up on two classes in an evening or will do 2 crossfits in a week). Should I add carbs prior to any of these workouts or just wait and see how I will feel?

I love all the information on here! Thank you!
fg <3

fitnessghurl
09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Will Dave come back to reply our questions???:dunno:

karladoll
09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
hey fitnessghurl, i'm sure he will come back. it's been a really busy past couple of weeks for him. LOTS of shows and of course this week is leading up to the big show, the olympia. i'm sure it's just that his plate is overflowing right now.

fitnessghurl
09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
hey fitnessghurl, i'm sure he will come back. it's been a really busy past couple of weeks for him. LOTS of shows and of course this week is leading up to the big show, the olympia. i'm sure it's just that his plate is overflowing right now.

Oh yea that's right! :Hand smacking forehead smilie here:

Thanks for the reminder/heads up!

fitange
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Is Dave back yet?

Delphene
09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Dave, is there a picture or video anywhere of Vince's Smart Ball attachment? I checked out his facebook page but there wasn't anything there. I messaged him and he said he may be changing the name of the attachment to Smart Grips (for obvious reasons..the internet being what it is) I love working with cables as well and have some tendon issues and this may be the answer.

mekabryant
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm borderline diabetic/hypoglycemic . . . I have issues maintaining my blood sugar and have the shakes a lot. I'm starting to train for my first show; are there any diet dos or don'ts that I need to follow or know of that would be special for my blood sugar issues or should I be a-ok following a fairly normal eating plan like everyone else?

huge285
11-18-2010, 03:22 AM
I'm back!

QUESTION: I follow Pauline Nordin's Fighter Diet on Facebook and some of the stuff she posts I question....what's your opinion on this? Wouldn’t you want to absorb more fat anyway? Isn’t that kind of the point if you're taking it in?

Quote:

Fighter Diet Nuts are better choice than nut butters. I believe more calories get lost and undigested in nuts. Nut butters are almost predigested due to the smooth texture, meaning you should absorb way more fat from those than from whole nuts. The intestine spits some out when you give it some hard to chew on nuts;-)

DP: If you chew your nuts like a human being, the nuts essentially become nut butters in your intestines, so this analogy is not very accurate. I would have to say that NUT BUTTER and WHOLE NUTS are both absorbed at the same rate.

QUESTION: Dave...I am 1.5 wks out from a figure show. I've had problems with constipation throughout my prep, but have it taken care of. For my previous shows I've dropped veggies and sugar free metamucil starting 4 days before the show. I'm a little nervous about this with my previous problems. Do you think it would be harmful to leave them in the last 4 days or would it be better to go with a colon cleanse?

DP: Why are you dropping your veggies and fiber supplement? I have my athletes take their fiber supplement 3x per day on the day before the show to ensure that they don’t get constipated once carbs or additional fats are adding into the diet. Never stop your fiber supplement! If you look great a week out from your show, the less you change the better!

QUESTION: Hello dave .. i have been on the isageneixs cleanse and looking to get off the pills n junk ! i am looking to start this diet tomorrow so i am a lil concerned since i am a vegan ... first i weigh 135 lbs at 5'6 and want to get to my 120 lb goal ;-) so i plan on starting asap!
First. can i use unsweetened spur-itien shakes instead of whey ?
Second can i use tofu instead of meat?
Third what goals do you set for carbs/protein/fats a day ? And
Fourth, what supplements do you recommend? I am taking now apothe cherry 1 tbplsn a day for sleep ;-) and 2 fiber cleanse pills a day also i take calcium n mag and amulti thats all ,,, i am trying to to d thi natural and as clean naturally as possible .. any advice would be great and please let know as soon as you can since i want to start asap ... funny one of my co workers turned me on to this n now i want to start today ! haha also i do work out 5-7 days a week.. run 2-3 days and do a boot camp class 3 days a week wich is pretty intense .. i also am going to go back to yoga n place of running 2-3 days a week ... nd on my off days i walk ... thanx i anxiously await your reply

also how many grams protein ? calories? fats? carbs? a day
i listed all my foods it came to 1292 calories.. 46 fat ...61 carbs ...161 prtien ... i am 1333 lbs n 5'6 n wanting to get to my 120 goal ;-)

DP: Being an vegan, you’ll have to use alternative protein powder sources (soy protein will probably be your obvious choice) and you’ll have to use stuff like tofu in place of meats. In my estimation, you should keep protein high (1 to 1.5g per lb of bodyweight) and fat moderate (.5g per lb) and carbs as low as possible given your vegetarian sources of protein.

QUESTION: I’ve been a lurker for some time now, but decided to go ahead and post. I’ve recently gotten very serious about competing but i have a long way to go. I’ve recently dropped about 20lbs (in about 8 weeks) following a low carb/little to no fat diet and that worked really well, but I’ve sort of stalled out, and decided to finally bite the bullet and try Dave’s keto diet for women. i have a few questions. First, I’ve looked for the suggestions on supps on this diet but i can't find it (as the earlier poster posted is it fish oil 3 caps 3x day and epo 1 cap 2x?) are there other recommended supps? Also, how do you feel about casein protein? Would this be a suitable substitute for the meal 5 shake? Also, I’ve been drinking jacked for a preworkout kick, and sciviations xtend during workouts, are these acceptable on the diet or no?

DP: I send this list of recommended supplements to all my clients. I feel they’re exactly what we need to complement the foods we consume. Every suggestion is in this list for a definitive reason. As you’ll see, over the years I’ve had SPECIES NUTRITION, little by little I’ve created a supplement to perfectly cater to my supplemental recommendations. Remember, these are only nutritional supplements. Sports performance supplements are another whole beast. They’re not essential but many people like to use them in the regimens. Just to comment on CASEIN protein, don’t waste your money! Why put crappy gas in a Ferrari?
SUPPLEMENTS: (take with meals)

(1) JUICE PLUS+ (2 pills of the GARDEN BLEND in morning and 2 pills of the ORCHARD BLEND at night).
*****Juice Plus+ contains all the valuable nutrients of whole fruits and vegetables-- without the sugar. Just four pills provide the equivalent of 12 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. I take it just for the health benefits since as bodybuilders we don’t eat enough fruits and veggies (too much sugar and too time consuming). Since I’ve been using the product, I haven’t gotten sick once. Plus I feel that it increases my recovery time significantly (lots of phytonutrients). The link appears below. I like this company since this is their only product: https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/Home.soa?site=dp02724 (https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/pages/Home.soa?site=dp02724)

(2) Calcium (with magnesium) 1500mg per day (as well as other essential minerals)
(3) Vitamin D: 2000IU 2x per day

*** Try my MINERALYZE formula: It contains high levels of chelated (amino acid bound) calcium, magnesium, and other essential minerals such as iron (studies show that most athletes-- men and women-- are iron deficient which can lead to low RBC counts), zinc (helps raise testosterone levels), selenium (great antioxidant), iodide (important for proper thyroid function), copper, manganese, chromium (necessary for proper insulin sensitivity), molybdenum, potassium (necessary to maintain proper intramuscular fluid balance), boron, silica (great for the joints), Plus VITAMIN D (essential to pretty much every organ in your body).

(4) Evening Primrose oil (1300mg 2x per day)—essential GOOD OMEGA-6 fats
(5) Omega-3 Fish oil pills (Omega 3 fatty acids) 1000mg 3x per day

*** Try my Essential Fatty Acid Formula: OMEGALYZE (it contains 2600mg Evening Primrose Oil and 3000mg Omega-3 Fish Oil per day—30 day supply in one bottle).

(6) JOINT STRENGTH and REPAIR:
1. Glucosamine Sulfate 2000mg 2x per day (joints)
2. MSM 2000mg 2x per day (joints and tissue regeneration)

****Try my Joint Repair Formula: ARTHROLYZE (it contains 2000mg Glucosamine Sulfate, 2000mg MSM, 500mg Chondroitin sulfate, and 3mg Boron per serving with 60 servings per bottle. That’s enough for 2 servings per day for 30 days). This is the most potent joint repair product on the market.

(7) FIBERLYZE: One of the only fiber supplements on the market to contain SOLUBLE as well as INSOLUBLE fiber…..and it tastes outrageously good! Take 1 serving 2x per day

Hi dave and lovely to se u on here.

QUESTION: I am new here and this is my first post. I wanted to try out your diet to lose a bit more BF. Eating Low carb now and would like to change things as I have come to a plateau.
The diet is based on 130 lb female, but how can i adjust it for me being at 116 lbs.
I am new to this, so sorry if I sound uneducated, It's cause I am and would like to learn.

DP: Without knowing more about you, I’d first recommend upping your cardio (time-wise) if you’re even doing any. Second, you might need to cut back your protein portions about a ½ an ounce per meal.

QUESTION: Hey there! I'm new to your site and your diet and am excited to see changes! I'm not a competitor just wanna have a hot bod!

A couple questions. Does my weekly cheat meal have to be meal 5? Can it be meal 3 (lunch) or 4? Should it be on an off gym day?

I have recently switched my workouts to bootcamp style class, spinning, yoga, crossfit and kettlebells doing each once per week, 1 hr each. (Sometimes I double up on two classes in an evening or will do 2 cross fits in a week). Should I add carbs prior to any of these workouts or just wait and see how I will feel?

DP: When you cheat in the middle of the day, usually one of two things happens: (1) You continue to cheat all day or (2) You miss meals because you’re so stuffed from the earlier cheat. If you can control these two pitfalls, enjoy your cheat meal any time!

QUESTION: Dave, is there a picture or video anywhere of Vince's Smart Ball attachment? I checked out his facebook page but there wasn't anything there. I messaged him and he said he may be changing the name of the attachment to Smart Grips (for obvious reasons..the internet being what it is) I love working with cables as well and have some tendon issues and this may be the answer.

DP: Here’s a video interview where Vince Taylor demonstrates his SMART GRIPS (http://www.rxmuscle.com/videos/lifestyle/2162-vince-taylor-demonstrates-his-innovative-new-smart-grips-at-the-2010-npc-nationals.html):

QUESTION: I'm borderline diabetic/hypoglycemic . . . I have issues maintaining my blood sugar and have the shakes a lot. I'm starting to train for my first show; are there any diet dos or don'ts that I need to follow or know of that would be special for my blood sugar issues or should I be a-ok following a fairly normal eating plan like everyone else?

DP: When you follow a high protein/moderate fat/low carb diet, your blood sugars will never fall too low (go hypo) because your brain will be using ketones (fat) for fuel rather than carbs (glucose)

ZenFit
04-01-2011, 02:41 PM
dave what is your favorite meal to chow down on??

fitange
05-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Girls I'm very confused about dave's diet 1 and diet 2.
I've been on this diet for a while, but never done the 1 and 2 diet. I have looked it up on different we Oates and the portions are different on all 3 sites. I am 116lbs or 53 kilos and so I guess I fit into the category of the 120lb diet. I've looked for his diet on here, but can't seem to find both diet 1 and 2 on here.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks

Melissa
05-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Girls I'm very confused about dave's diet 1 and diet 2.
I've been on this diet for a while, but never done the 1 and 2 diet. I have looked it up on different we Oates and the portions are different on all 3 sites. I am 116lbs or 53 kilos and so I guess I fit into the category of the 120lb diet. I've looked for his diet on here, but can't seem to find both diet 1 and 2 on here.

Can someone please help me out? Thanks

Protein/Fat Diet:

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

Protein/Veggie Diet:

MEAL #1
10 egg whites

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4
5oz white fish (fluke, flounder, sole, cod, ect.) with a green salad with vinegar & mustard (no olive or macadamia nut oil)

MEAL #5

With regard to the rotation, typically Dave will start his females off with 2 days on P/F and one day on P/V. No cheat meal until 14 days into the diet. Hope this helps!

fitange
05-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Protein/Fat Diet:

MEAL #1

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

Protein/Veggie Diet:

MEAL #1
10 egg whites

MEAL #2

MEAL #3

MEAL #4

MEAL #5

With regard to the rotation, typically Dave will start his females off with 2 days on P/F and one day on P/V. No cheat meal until 14 days into the diet. Hope this helps!

thanks so much girl! it helps me out a hell of a lot. I appreciate it.

thanks again:hmn:

fitange
05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
I was wondering how often you all do cardio? Do you think doing low intensity morning cardio every morning for 50mins to 1 hr is way too much?

It's just become routine for to to do it. How much should I cut back?
I just feel like I'm stalling....

The Prodigy
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I was wondering how often you all do cardio? Do you think doing low intensity morning cardio every morning for 50mins to 1 hr is way too much?

It's just become routine for to to do it. How much should I cut back?
I just feel like I'm stalling....

What is your goal? Are you prepping for a show? Just trying to lose weight? How long have you been stalling for? (I assume you mean the scale stalling?)

fitange
05-25-2011, 09:36 AM
What is your goal? Are you prepping for a show? Just trying to lose weight? How long have you been stalling for? (I assume you mean the scale stalling?)

Hi and thanks for replying.

I am wanting to lower my BF some more. my trainer and I are training for me to compete towards October this year if all goes well. Since 2008 I lost 68lbs and so I have problem areas to correct and I know you cant spot reduce so I am wanting to shed my BF as I continue to lift heavy.

Ive been stalling for about 2 weeks now, and I am now starting (since 4 days ago) the diet 1 and diet 2 alternate days on dave's diet, so see if that helps some. I have a while to go if I enter comp, but I figure that the more time I have the better it will be for me in the long run..

sassy69
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi and thanks for replying.

I am wanting to lower my BF some more. my trainer and I are training for me to compete towards October this year if all goes well. Since 2008 I lost 68lbs and so I have problem areas to correct and I know you cant spot reduce so I am wanting to shed my BF as I continue to lift heavy.

Ive been stalling for about 2 weeks now, and I am now starting (since 4 days ago) the diet 1 and diet 2 alternate days on dave's diet, so see if that helps some. I have a while to go if I enter comp, but I figure that the more time I have the better it will be for me in the long run..

One thing when you're doing on the order of 1 hr or more of cardio on a regular basis, it limits where you can go during your actual prep. Before adding more cardio try tweaking your diet first. I was goign to suggest a carb rotation or something but sounds like you found a way to tweak things. You might also look at some HIIT cardio to change things up and re-initialize your fat loss.

fitange
05-25-2011, 03:36 PM
One thing when you're doing on the order of 1 hr or more of cardio on a regular basis, it limits where you can go during your actual prep. Before adding more cardio try tweaking your diet first. I was goign to suggest a carb rotation or something but sounds like you found a way to tweak things. You might also look at some HIIT cardio to change things up and re-initialize your fat loss.

Thank you I used to do a lot of interval training previously with great success, but wouldn't HIIT on this diet cause you to burn muscle? I've heard that it can. If not, how often do you recommend it and what's the best way please.
Thanks much appreciated

The Prodigy
05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Thank you I used to do a lot of interval training previously with great success, but wouldn't HIIT on this diet cause you to burn muscle? I've heard that it can. If not, how often do you recommend it and what's the best way please.
Thanks much appreciated

You can interval train on the keto and not lose muscle as long as your calories are not severely reduced and you are not maintaining the high intensity for to long.

fitange
05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
You can interval train on the keto and not lose muscle as long as your calories are not severely reduced and you are not maintaining the high intensity for to long.

I'm just following dave's diet 1 and 2 to a T. With 5 oz of protein sources with my meals. I
How long should I do intervals for?

The Prodigy
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm just following dave's diet 1 and 2 to a T. With 5 oz of protein sources with my meals. I
How long should I do intervals for?

How long do you do cardio for?