PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense for Women

Frosty
06-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey I have a female friend that is interested in learning self defense. Are there any websites that can start off with basic stuff?

schullax
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
you should see if wing chun, mma or muay thai classes are available in your area... and/or jujitsu. i don't know of any classes online, though. oh.. krav maga is also good! and if you can find anyone that teaches jeet kun do (bruce lee's fighting style), then definitely sign up for that! i used to take wing chun and loved it. :)

one thing that you could show her right away, that's fairly simple to do, is how to use your thumbs to gouge someone's eyes out... i had a trainer that took a belt and made a loop the size of an eye and made me practice shoving my thumb through the little hole.. he'd hold it at different heights and angles to make sure i was accurate.. and once you get the accurate part down, you can work on speed. :) he also showed me simple stuff like how to get out of a head lock, which direction to twist your arm if someone grabs you, what to do if someone comes up behind you (rake your foot across the shin and foot).. then what to do after they let me go... like kick the knee/face/balls/whatever... all of that, is pretty basic stuff, that i'm sure you could show her. :)

Ninja Loco
07-21-2009, 12:05 AM
There IS no such thing as "self defense", sorry. A good jui-jitsu class would be her best option. Anything on the internet can be countered, I promise you that.

dropshot001
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
basic jiu jitsu is often good enough, especially triangles and armbars and some simple sweeps. i'd also go with some boxing/kick boxing so that they know what to do when punches and stuff like that are coming at them

B7emm
07-28-2009, 03:18 PM
krav maga is very basic and easy to learn. you need a good instructor watch out for videos its hard to learn of a DVD or out of a book when push comes to shove we all revert back to the basics. the key is practice practice and good solid instruction. some basic ju-jitsu and some good proper striking techniques is a great place to start.

B7emm
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
There IS no such thing as "self defense", sorry. A good jui-jitsu class would be her best option. Anything on the internet can be countered, I promise you that.
a good friend told me that once. i thought it was bs until he schooled me when i tried some stupid trick i saw on the net.

p.s. my friend is a black belt in Alan Goez bjj and Joe lewis fighting systems.

exit2010
07-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Buy her a gun. Anything she tries to learn from the internet is going to get her hurt. She needs proper instruction.

Allifit
07-28-2009, 11:45 PM
My gf wanted to learn self defense and her bf bought her a tazzer.....lol.