PDA

View Full Version : Inspirations and Heroes as a Strength Athlete

Squid
06-14-2009, 05:47 AM
I missed a thread like this if there was a previous one

Who inspired you to become a strength athlete or start to train as one?

For me,I look at Scott Cartwright, Kirk Karwoski and Mark Bell

robert da strongman
06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
wasnt necessarily a person...well a real one anyway. i was that fay kid with the comic books in school. i wanted to be thor or the hulk...plain and simple. once i discovered bb'ing and powerlifting then i saw people i wanted to emulate...ed coan being the foremost. then i got to see him train in person and thats all it took to hook me.

HammerStrength12
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Marius Pujunowski(sp?), Dave Tate, Andy Bolton just to name a few

Actually, it was the video of Ronnie Coleman deadlifting 800lbs a few years back that inspired me to take up powerlifting. Also, the fact that a lot of the top bodybuilders in the world started out doing strength training/powerlifting.

crashcrew56
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Most of you might not know him, but Jason Patrick is motivation for me, he's a world champ powerlifter, I train with the guy and he's a 1000lb squatter, pulls in the 8s and benchs in the 7s. Watching him lift and spotting for him provides soo much motivation for me to keep busting my ass

powerbeast
10-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Watching the classic Strongmen. Kaz, John Paul, Geoff Capes, Viking Power Svend Karlson, Magnus Samuelsson

BrotherIron
10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
What made me want to strength train was watching the Oly lifters at John's gym pump out insane numbers on a daily basis while maintaining their bodyweight. The took a scientific approach and drugged very little if any to accomplish the unimagineable. They didn't drug till their eye's bled out like bbers do to accomplish a nice lil trophy and health issues down the road, while not getting any stronger really.

What made me switch over 100% was listening to John tell me stories about Anatoly Pisarenko. John Coffee watched this phenom jerk 600+lbs off the blocks. He met him on several occasions and had come to know this man of few words well. He was all buisness and his lifts spoke volumes.

I can't fathom how someone could jerk so much weight. It's super human to say the very lest and the more I learn about Oly Lifting the more engrossed I get in it.

BrotherIron
10-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Here he is Clean & Jerking 265kg which is 583lbs.

YouTube - Pisarenko 265kg Varna 1984

smj091977
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
wasnt necessarily a person...well a real one anyway. i was that fay kid with the comic books in school. i wanted to be thor or the hulk...plain and simple. once i discovered bb'ing and powerlifting then i saw people i wanted to emulate...ed coan being the foremost. then i got to see him train in person and thats all it took to hook me.
Ditto for me on the comics. Wrestling and the wrestlers appearing to be super human to my child like mind. Seeing Big Lou play the Hulk. Watching Strongman on ESPN at 12 am while I was in High School.