PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy raw fish...(salmon,tuna etc) from fish markets and make your own sushi?

NPCKnight
06-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Just wondering if any and how many of you guys and gals might buy stuff from a local fish market or wholesaler(fresh quality) and take it home and eat it raw like sushi. I imagine the fish would have to be sashimi grade.
Wondering because I love salmon so much and going to sushi places will cost me $1 a piece on happy hour specials..(which i eat 40-60 pieces of salmon alone). Normal price would be double that. 2 pieces for 3.95.
Looking for more economical ways to eat my raw fish.:beerbang:

crashcrew56
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
I've never bought it and made my own, but I have caught tuna and made my own sashimi, I think the fish can be only 4 days old at the maximuim for you to eat it raw and you can't eat it raw if its been frozen

NPCKnight
06-14-2009, 06:31 PM
i thought sushi is always flash frozen?

i dont mean making your own artistic sushi....i just mean eating raw fish. like buy an 8 oz piece of salmon and eat it! LOL.

bringingthehuge
06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
i buy it from a local grocery store. make sure it is sashimi grade and is flash frozen to kill any bacteria. u will definitely save some dough

azn-beef
06-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Find an all you can eat sushi place for 20$..

But I know what you mean.. Sushi is awesome bodybuilder food, but going out one night to eat it gets super expensive

Sliced N Diced
06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I have a 20 dollar all you can eat place by house...By the time I leave its almost 100 dollars worth in sushi sitting in me.

indianamonster1986
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
I do, but I buy the sashimi grade, a little more expensive but well worth it...

GREENMACHINE23
06-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I do, but I buy the sashimi grade, a little more expensive but well worth it...

Always buy the sashimi grade for tuna . Also, the place you buy from should not have a overpowering "fishy" odor. If you smell bleach, leave asap.:cool:

NPCKnight
06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
My soft spot is for salmon. I dont like it that much when cooked, but raw...I fucking love it.

Ya I have a sushi buffet or two in the DC area....but thats it. Not many and they are alright...not great.

indianamonster1986
06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Have you ever tried yellow tail or scallops...OMG fucking amazing brother!!! Salmon is pretty damn good to. But like you said one dinner with a significant other and the check is as much as a weeks worth of groceries.

My soft spot is for salmon. I dont like it that much when cooked, but raw...I fucking love it.

Ya I have a sushi buffet or two in the DC area....but thats it. Not many and they are alright...not great.

NPCKnight
06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Ya, it fucking sucks. Sometimes I wish I could just go in and talk to the owner and be like "Look....can I just eat as much salmon as I want for a flat and fair fee? Ill pay alacarte for the random rolls, tuna and eel. " LOL

Sometimes my mind weeps at the fact that it is inevitable they throw out plenty of fish they didnt sell in time. If I was only called the night before to help finish it off for free or cheap. Ah, fantasies.

BigBilly
06-14-2009, 10:34 PM
isnt sushi rice have added sugar?

JWolfe
06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
There is a place by me that sells sashimi grade tuna so I get that sometimes. Can't find anywere that sells sashimi grade salmon though.

azn-beef
06-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Have you ever tried yellow tail or scallops...OMG fucking amazing brother!!! Salmon is pretty damn good to. But like you said one dinner with a significant other and the check is as much as a weeks worth of groceries.

have you guys ever tried albacore? that shit is awesome!!!

salmon and albarcore are my favorites

doubleogordo
06-15-2009, 04:41 AM
i have done it. i bought salmon and krab(fake crab) and made some typical california rolls and salmon nigiri(or whatever raw salmon is called) i even got bored and put some raw beef on some sushi rice. it was good. its fun,you can make your own rolls. i crushed some almonds and added some avacado to the salmon and called it the mediteranian roll. be brave. remember ecoli usually only kills the very young or the very old.