PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry question

DR.BB
01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Not sure if this should be posted here or if it can be answered without pics:

I plan to enter a Masters Mens over 45 show, but my calves are small compared to the rest of my body. How much would it matter in judging? I am told by some people who compete that it will kill me on stage; others say it is part of "symmetry" that also includes overall balance (V-shape, arms to quads, etc.) and is not a such a big deal. Hopefully, some of you judges can answer. How much would small calves hurt a competitor?

I have been training for 25 years and calves have always been a problem. Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question.

tammyp
01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
well at a local show its not a huge deal. masters nationals it would be. i think calves you have them or you dont. i have never trained them and they are my best body part. unless you are competing at the emerald cup or the ronnie coleman, 2 of the biggest regional shows in the country, i wouldnt stress over it.

Jude2
01-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Don't worry about it. Look at Dexter, JOJ and Dennis Wolf.

IslandGirl
01-22-2013, 03:34 AM
I agree with Tammy and Jude. Plus who's to say that you wouldn't do well at this show you are thinking of doing. Judges can only judge what is on stage. Ex: If you have 5 guys in your class and all of them do not have well developed calves...

Plus it's not "only" a calves contest, it's who has the Total Package that day.

DR.BB
01-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks TammyP, Jude2 and IslandGirl for the helpful replies.

Quadsweep
02-01-2013, 10:42 PM
I agree with all above answers. I think poor conditioning is what kills most competitors.