PDA

View Full Version : What's the 1 Exercise that you shouldnt do?

andyb101
02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Some people say behind the neck presses or pulldowns,what is the worst is it either of these or is it something else,discuss?

bigtimektz
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Barbell bench press.

flipper
02-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Behind the neck shoulder press

MuscleAddict83
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
ditto on flat bench, don't need, kills shoulders, most people don't stimulate chest enough with it. Behind back presses can be rough on shoulders if you drop the weight too low, but I wouldn't worry too much about behind the neck pulldowns. As long as your using good control and not rocking your body you'll pull the weight in a straight, safe axis.

buster12
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
behind the neck shoulder press.

Mouse
02-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Nonsense with all this hating on the BB Bench Press. Been doing them for years and years and my shoulders are just fine. You all are probably using too wide a grip which IMO is a mistake whether benching or doing a pull-up. Shoulder width or just slightly outside of that is just fine.

So with that I'd say wide grip anything is one of the worst things you can do. X2 on the BTN stuff as well.

orhochris
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
flat barbell bench press.

buster12
02-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Nonsense with all this hating on the BB Bench Press. Been doing them for years and years and my shoulders are just fine. You all are probably using too wide a grip which IMO is a mistake whether benching or doing a pull-up. Shoulder width or just slightly outside of that is just fine.

So with that I'd say wide grip anything is one of the worst things you can do. X2 on the BTN stuff as well.
Agree! wide grip is what usually causes shoulder pain.

Sledge
02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Anything on a fitball. exept fucking.

buckimscl
02-16-2009, 09:47 PM
BB Bench. Used to do them years ago and with elbow and shoulder prob's I don't go very heavy any longer. Mostly db's and inclines.

MASKOAA
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Goodmornings.

Hardly Krishna
02-17-2009, 12:03 AM
WIDE GRIP BB Bench Press.

I've always had Flat Bench in my routine and I always will. But it always seems like guys are hurting their shoulders or tearing their pecs by doing Wide Grip Benching.

greuceanu
02-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Squats on stability ball.

kraken
02-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Bringing your ego to the gym.

Stavman
02-17-2009, 02:18 AM

The only one I agree with.

.DP
02-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Does behind-neck-pressing really hurt you guys that much? It feels more comfortable than front pressing for me. My right shoulder clicks during warm-up of front presses but I'm 100% smooth on BNP's.

To each their own.

Random Letters
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
It's completely dependant on the individual, but you'll never see me flat BB benching or doing any exercise behind the neck. IMO, and for my body, the risk:reward ratio is just not favourable.

JYD
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
side bends with a 100lb dumbell, while groaning in pain like a douche bag. yup... i got a couple of those guys in my gym

desibaba
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Anything on a fitball. exept fucking.
God i fucking hate those exercise balls. I wish i could one day take a needle and stab all of them in my gym. So annoying and they move all over the place and get in your way. I have actually tripped over one lol

Orca
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Definitely true. Behind Neck stuff (and the excessive wide grip bench) IS bad for most people, but everyone is different so banning any one exercise is not the solution.

Know your own body and do what works for it (and specifically for your joints!)

chasebny
02-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Depends. No problem with BTN presses, but I cant dead in a smith safely, or underhand barbell row.

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM

I concur

aaronthegreat34
02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
barbell bench presses have caused me to spend a ton of money of ART. I did use proper form to.

indianamonster1986
02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
If you're at planet fitness....deadlifts.

militantmuscle
02-18-2009, 03:23 AM
behind the neck press, extremely precarious position.

KEVDIESEL
02-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I guess BB Bench but only if you're trying to impress yourself and the idiots wasting their time watching instead of concentrating on their on training.

BigJD69
02-19-2009, 09:46 AM
BUMP to Behind the neck shoulder presses, puts to much stress on your shoulder joint

BigVanDiesel54
02-19-2009, 12:18 PM
God i fucking hate those exercise balls. I wish i could one day take a needle and stab all of them in my gym. So annoying and they move all over the place and get in your way. I have actually tripped over one lol

THATS FUNNY BRO!! I got pissed one day at the gym cuz some a hole kept doing shit on one... and when he would get up after doing whatever ridiculous thing he was doing on it...the damn ball would roll by me as i was doing cable crossover's. So after the 2nd time he did it and walked away i kicked the damn thing across the whole gym...funny thing was it whizzed by some chicks head and almost knocked her ass down like a fat kid playing dodgeball...lol. Needless to say the guy was confused when he walked back in and saw me give him a dirty look and he stayed away from me for the rest of his mens health "workout"...god i hate those damn things...

CATSLSMAN
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
THATS FUNNY BRO!! I got pissed one day at the gym cuz some a hole kept doing shit on one... and when he would get up after doing whatever ridiculous thing he was doing on it...the damn ball would roll by me as i was doing cable crossover's. So after the 2nd time he did it and walked away i kicked the damn thing across the whole gym...funny thing was it whizzed by some chicks head and almost knocked her ass down like a fat kid playing dodgeball...lol. Needless to say the guy was confused when he walked back in and saw me give him a dirty look and he stayed away from me for the rest of his mens health "workout"...god i hate those damn things...

I just laughed my ass off after I read that story cause it is something I have always wanted to do to somebody using those damn exercise balls in the middle of the gym floor!!

Mouse
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Does behind-neck-pressing really hurt you guys that much? It feels more comfortable than front pressing for me. My right shoulder clicks during warm-up of front presses but I'm 100% smooth on BNP's.

To each their own.

While doing them, no. But over time back in the day I developed a lot of pain in my rotator cuffs. I eventually stopped doing BTN anything and the pain went away. That's just me although I know a lot of people with similar problems. If it doesn't hurt you, don't stop.

Wheels
02-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Imo, it's rather ridiculous to cite specific exercises and brand them with, "This exercise will fuck you up."

Many people don't understand that due to the way certain people are built, certain exercises will just not work as effectively for them. Many people aren't 'built' for the bench press, it tears up their shoulders and offers little development. Some people can't do behind the neck presses because of the way they are built. However, I know of several people who absolutely love the exercise and experience zero pain/difficulty with it.

Would it be fair to say that you need to be a tad more careful on certain exercises than others, I would give a definitive yes.

I think as long as you lift with proper form and leave your ego @ the door you can do all the exercises that your body was 'built' for. I think with all the emphasis on getting a big bench and shit like that a lot of the uneducated guys who go into the gym will just bang away on it; regardless of whether or not they're feeling stimulation, with proper form. Their shoulders ache and yet they don't stop because a big bench makes a big man, yano.

greuceanu
02-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Imo, it's rather ridiculous to cite specific exercises and brand them with, "This exercise will fuck you up."

Squatting on a stability ball will fuck you up,sooner or later:).

Nelford
02-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Ball work...I can't help but watch this guy in my gym do his whole workout on the Ball. Those things are all over the gym. Who ever invented those things made a killing...

PowerAdder
02-21-2009, 07:57 PM
BB flat bench since it locks everything into place with heavy weight and there's no free range of motion. behind the neck press doesn't seem to exciting either.. but i never see anyone doing it anymore.

MichaelWayne
02-22-2009, 01:41 AM
This should be changed to, "What's the 1 Exercise you WON'T do?" LOL. I love behind the neck presses and bench! Every piece has a home in the gym..besides the old school straight up and down leg press machine. You're just asking to blow out your lower back in one of those.

jkmatthews
02-22-2009, 03:09 AM
Definitely true. Behind Neck stuff (and the excessive wide grip bench) IS bad for most people, but everyone is different so banning any one exercise is not the solution.

Know your own body and do what works for it (and specifically for your joints!)

Agreed! I enjoy behind the neck military press. I think it all depends on how your body is built.

Zetawill
02-23-2009, 08:58 PM

You owe me a keyboard and about 3 grams of protein shake.:D

greuceanu
02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
You owe me a keyboard and about 3 grams of protein shake.:D

I hope it didn't go through your nose.If it did, i'll mail you an used tissue:)

Wheels
02-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Squatting on a stability ball will fuck you up,sooner or later:).

Touche' :p

flexingtonsteele
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
narrow grip upright rows!

a great way to wreck your shoulder.

anthony1992
02-26-2009, 11:15 PM
flat barbell bench press

SoxFan11
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I agree with the others who've said that there is no one specific exercise to avoid. It's all about knowing your own body, utilizing good/proper form, and leaving your ego at the door. For example, I have a surgically repaired shoulder, yet I still do behind the neck presses. But, because of the stress that exercise places on the shoulder, I do them last in my workout and use the Smith machine. Doing them this way allows me to go much lighter and keeps me in a fixed plane of motion.

Pryme
02-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I agree with not bringing your ego to the gym. I have been lifting heavy for 14 years with only a couple minor strains and pulls, nothing serious at all. but I know my body and know when I can push a little and when to back off some.

also, the ball can be a great excersize tool, try doing dumbbell flys on the ball, they will burn you if done slowly and controlled.

Bennny
03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Behind the neck shoulder presses kill my left shouder. So do btn lat pull-downs. since I've quit doing both exercises, the pain has cleared up.

InkedSwed
03-12-2009, 05:14 PM

haha, agreed!

ChunkyThunder
03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
I have rotator cuff problems to begin with, so anything behind the neck will have me out of the gym for about a week.