PDA

View Full Version : B 12 Injection

Damien23
01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Has anyone heard of the B12 injection for weight loss and if so, does it work?:dunno:

Big Barry
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
I don't see how it can possible help for weightloss. B12 makes me ravenous! LOL

Big Barry
01-16-2013, 11:55 PM
It helps me gain weight though.

ToddinWC
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
cyanocobalamin (B12) also makes me hungry as FUCK.

Damien23
01-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Ok thank, I guess it's some new-age weight loss program.

sassy69
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
^^ I recently saw a promotion for weightloss program based on B12 injections, and that was exactly the same thing I thought - people use those to increase hunger, not lose weight. WTF?

So, with the help of Dr. Google:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-b12-injections/AN01400

QuestionVitamin B-12 injections for weight loss: Do they work?Are vitamin B-12 injections helpful for weight loss?Answerfrom Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.There's no solid evidence that vitamin B-12 injections aid weight loss.
Vitamin B-12 is a water-soluble B complex vitamin found naturally in a variety of foods, including meat, fish and dairy products. Vitamin B-12 is also added to some foods and is available as a dietary supplement. Vitamin B-12 injections are commonly prescribed to help prevent or treat pernicious anemia and B-12 deficiency.
Some weight-loss clinics offer vitamin B-12 injections as part of their weight-loss programs. Proponents of vitamin B-12 injections say the shots give you more energy and boost your metabolism, helping you shed unwanted pounds. But unless you have a vitamin B-12 deficiency, vitamin B-12 injections aren't likely to give you an energy boost.
Getting large amounts of vitamin B-12 through vitamin B-12 injections isn't likely to harm your health. But vitamin B-12 can interfere with the effectiveness of some medications, so if you receive vitamin B-12 injections, be sure to let your doctor know.
If you're hoping to lose weight, resist the lure of quick and easy solutions. What counts is a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy healthier foods and include physical activity in your daily routine.

sassy69
01-31-2013, 05:09 PM
Here's some of the crap that is being advertised:

http://www.trimnutrition.com/b12-injections.html

Vitamin B12 is an essential component for proper body functions. B12 aids in proper digestion and maintaining a normal metabolism. It also aids in maintaining healthy nerves and red blood cell production. B12 injections have also aided in weight loss in many of our patients. It contributes to an increased metabolism and helps diminish hunger cravings. B12 shots offer a unique weight loss method that utilizes the natural properties of a vitamin rather than the harsh side effects of pharmaceutical stimulants.

I found B12 shots for weight loss discussed in various blogs going back at least 5 years. This "Dr. Bernstein" clinic was referenced a few times - apparently promoting B12 shots at ridiculous cost + 800 cal diet. Apparently doctor or nurse supervised. On the couple blogs I read, some of the people who said they were on it and got "great results", also said "its very strict, you have to be committed". Yea, smells like HCG.

I dunno - it fucking scares me what people will do to lose 20 lb.

What other non- controlled substances can you sell as injections, along w/ starvation diet to get desperate fat people to give you a lot of their money?

sassy69
01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Also thought this was a decent description of what exactly a B12 shot does: http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Do_Vitamin_B12_Injections_Help_for_Weight_Loss__a1 076.html (from 2009)

n theory, although not actually proven, vitamin B12 injections should help promote weight loss in individuals but many experts don’t feel there is a significant link to weight loss and the use of vitamin B12 vitamins in injection form.

How Vitamin B12 WorksVitamin B12 is known as an energy enhancing vitamin and is proven to speed up the metabolism. Individuals who complain of lethargy (lack of energy) are generally the patients who are good candidates for vitamin B12 injections. It has also been noted that patients who take supplements that include vitamin B12 gain weight slower over a period of years compared to those who aren’t taking supplements.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/115954/Image/vitamin_B12_injection.jpgVitamin B12 is often given to patients who have a decline in energy and who find it hard to function properly in everyday life. A deficiency in Vitamin B12 can cause this type of lethargic feeling as the cells in the body are not getting the full blast of oxygen. Vitamin B12 is injected directly into the muscle which absorbs quickly into the blood stream and begins to speed up the metabolism and seems to give a real boost of energy to the patient.

Vitamin B12 alone, as a weight loss enhancer does not work. The vitamin helps to boost energy making it possible for the patient to feel energized and able to exercise. It also tends to help relieve symptoms of depression and stress which can also be a factor in gaining weight. But the vitamin is not a wonder drug and is not considered a weight loss type of drug.

Advantages of Vitamin B12As stated above, Vitamin B12 is an excellent vitamin to help give an individual an energy boost to help them get the energy to exercise and begin losing weight. It helps to oxygenate the cells of the body and speed up a slow metabolism. The wonderful thing about Vitamin B12 is once you get that first dose and begin exercising your body begins to respond positively. When you get positive results from exercise your body naturally begins to function better as long as you continue an exercise program and a healthy diet.

Individuals can get Vitamin B12 in supplements and in foods they eat. A patient might get a starter dose from an injection at the doctor’s office, but subsequent doses can be easily attained through diet and supplements. The domino effect takes place as your energy level improves which leads to more effective exercise and your overall health improves which includes healthy weight loss. With that weight loss you feel more able to exercise longer which continues the weight loss. Vitamin B12 is an excellent supplement to add to your diet and weigh loss program but alone, it will not yield the results you desire. The following are a few dietary sources that Vitamin B12 is found in:
• Fish
• Milk and dairy products
• Meat
• Eggs
• Poultry
The only dietary source of Vitamin B12 are from animals, those individuals who practice veganism or are vegetarians will most likely have to use supplements to get enough Vitamin B12.

Disadvantages of Vitamin B12As with anything in life, moderation is the key. Taking too much Vitamin B12 when there is not a deficiency can cause serious health problems. There are also risks to those who might have other pre-existing conditions and individuals should always discuss the use of Vitamin B12 with their physician.

Overdose of Vitamin B12 is very rare. It is almost impossible to overdose purely by the diet you eat but it is possible to take too many supplements which would result in an overdose and cause serious health problems. Likewise, deficiencies are rare because the human body generally stores extra Vitamin B12 to be distributed later in life, such as in old age, when the individual is not getting enough of the vitamin through regular diet.

Generally the symptoms of a Vitamin B12 overdose are numbness in parts of the body, a feeling of burning type pain or a prickling effect, and itch. Individuals who don’t consume vegetable fat in the diet and the body is void of these fats and take a large dose of Vitamin B12 can cause the liver to become fatty. A fatty liver does not function properly and can cause serious health issues and even death. Also individuals with kidney problems should not consume large doses of Vitamin B12 as the kidneys are not capable of filtering the vitamin properly and can cause serious overdose symptoms. The body needs well functioning kidneys to filter vitamins, such as B12 and when the kidneys aren’t functioning properly, the body can not eliminate the excess vitamin or store it properly, which causes an over-dose situation.

It is reasonable to think that an injection of Vitamin B12 is just what you need to get your weight under control. It certainly is a good start but it is not the entire answer. An injection of Vitamin B12 is like putting gas in your car. Once you put the gas in the car you have to get in the car, turn the key, and physically drive the car to where you want to go. The car will not drive there on its own just because you put gas in the tank. Getting a Vitamin B12 injection is exactly the same scenario. You can get the injection but unless you change your eating habits and begin a regular exercise program you will not lose weight.

The fact of the matter is there are no real miracle cures for obesity or being overweight. There are many supporting elements to help you lose weight and become a healthier person but the effort is on you as the individual. You have to work to lose weight and allow these supporting factors to help you accomplish that goal. Certainly there are benefits to Vitamin B12; the fact that it enhances your energy which in turn helps you to exercise more is the biggest benefit. But an individual should not rely on Vitamin B12 as the solution for being overweight. Adding Vitamin B12 is just one of the many things you can add to your lifestyle to improve your health and to help you lose the weight you need to lose.

apex23
02-03-2013, 09:00 AM
I have used the various B-12 injectable products and I didn't notice any increase in hunger or weight loss. Not to mention, I didn't notice any increase in energy.