PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old Bryce Harper leaves high school 2 yrs early. Eligible for the 2010 draft!

Mike the Ripper
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:13 pm EDT

Why I mostly support Bryce Harper's decision to skip high school
By 'Duk
When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.

It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters.

From the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

"There are going to be critics. I can't worry about what people think," Ron Harper said. "People are going to see what they want to see and say what they want to say. I think this prepares him for life, playing the game of baseball.

"People question your parenting and what you're doing. Honestly, we don't think it's that big a deal. He's not leaving school to go work in a fast-food restaurant. Bryce is a good kid. He's smart, and he's going to get his education."

From my viewpoint, I'm not going to act like a truant officer on Harper's decision when viewed in a vacuum. It's quite clear that Harper has loads of talent, lives to play baseball and has been groomed to play professional baseball ever since he and his family realized that he was much better than everyone else. It's obvious he has that physical attributes to succeed and he'd be drafted in two years anyway, so why delay the inevitable? Is an 18-year-old really that much better equipped to handle the pressures of grand expectations than a 16-year-old? As much as people will want to say that Harper should stay in school like a normal kid, the truth is that whatever normal life he had disappeared the minute he showed up on the cover of a magazine at homes across the country.

Plus, in an age when tennis and golf prodigies leave their families for top-flight academies before the age of 10 and future basketball studs are identified in the sixth grade, what's the problem with Harper setting out on a very defined career path? Being the top pick in the draft could net him $20 million or more, so making a play while the chips are on his side is just simply a smart move — especially in the volatile world of baseball talent.

The problem I do have with it, though, is that there are no doubt thousands of delusional parents who will see this news and think that maybe it's a viable path for their nowhere-near-as-talented sons and daughters. While the Harpers can't make their decision based on what other lemmings might do, I hope the door closes behind them.

What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------

This kid is a fucking stud.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Good luck to him!

Tu Holmes
06-15-2009, 06:45 PM
If he's that good... REALLY that good.

He'll be 18... He should go for it.

Make your money and live your life.

Mike the Ripper
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
If he's that good... REALLY that good.

He'll be 18... He should go for it.

Make your money and live your life.

Bro, he really is that good.

96mpg fastball and he can hit the ball 570+feet (aluminum/composite bat of course). Kid is a prototypical baseball player. Seriously, if George Steinbrenner had a wet dream it would be this kid.

Tu Holmes
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Bro, he really is that good.

96mpg fastball and he can hit the ball 570+feet (aluminum/composite bat of course). Kid is a prototypical baseball player. Seriously, if George Steinbrenner had a wet dream it would be this kid.

Then more power to him... Anyone who says he shouldn't is pretty plainly a hater... They are haters of the worst kind.

Sugan
06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I read up on this kid last night. He is a freak. MAY make Wayne Gretzky , Pele , Tiger , Jordan et al look like they were mildly dominant in their sport.
The only thing I dislike about him is that he is religous. Talks about ripping the heads off of his opponents. Typical Christian bullshit.

Mike the Ripper
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I read up on this kid last night. He is a freak. MAY make Wayne Gretzky , Pele , Tiger , Jordan et al look like they were mildly dominant in their sport.
The only thing I dislike about him is that he is religous. Talks about ripping the heads off of his opponents. Typical Christian bullshit.

Yup, as long as he has a solid group of people to advise him he will be just fine. Cut this guy's talent in half and he would still be better than Alex Rodriguez.

We'll see how religious he is when he signs that $350 million dollar contract lol.

BigJD69
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I say Go For It!

Sugan
06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Yup, as long as he has a solid group of people to advise him he will be just fine. Cut this guy's talent in half and he would still be better than Alex Rodriguez.

We'll see how religious he is when he signs that $350 million dollar contract lol.

I hope he isn't anything like A Roid is. A self centered cunt who yells at third basemen trying to make an out. God damn I hate him.