PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Progression strategy

EggSuckingLeech
01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
This is a noob question for sure but when it comes to powerlifting, that's precisely what I am...

In a powerlifting meet, you get 3 attempts. What is a good strategy when trying to figure out how much weight to shoot for? Let's take a hypothetical (ok its actually real for me at this stage :)

At my last (and only) meet I started the bench with 315. I got it. Then I jumped to 335 and missed. Of course, I can't go back so my third attempt was also 335 and missed :(

Is it better if my first attempt was alot lower (so I kept more in the tank)? Was starting out so close to my max a mistake?

Thanks guys.

TonyElTigre
01-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Okay when it comes to power lifting its all about going for you maximum reps
try to put up as much weight as you can on the first attempt because you will
be worn out by trying over and over so try to put up your best first that's my take

EggSuckingLeech
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
but you sure dont want to fail either right? I can be pretty ambitious! But I'm with you which is why I started out so close to my max. However I was watching some beast doing some lifts (http://www.rxmuscle.com/video/strength-video/6911-eric-lilliebridge-totals-2-121-270-raw-with-a-pec-tear.html#.UQnTgL-SRyI) and the weight difference in his three attempts were huge.

TheRage93
03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
but you sure dont want to fail either right? I can be pretty ambitious! But I'm with you which is why I started out so close to my max. However I was watching some beast doing some lifts (http://www.rxmuscle.com/video/strength-video/6911-eric-lilliebridge-totals-2-121-270-raw-with-a-pec-tear.html#.UQnTgL-SRyI) and the weight difference in his three attempts were huge.
Always get a light first attempt in. If my max on bench is 405 from a previous meet, I'd open with 365, second attempt would be 405, then third attempt would be a PR.. So maybe 410-450. Depends how the 405 felt.