PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control pills and fat loss

desibaba
06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
The girl im seeing right now is trying to lose a bit of fat but she is on birth control pills. I know these things are basically estrogen so im sure they dont help in terms of fat loss. Is it possible to keep taking them and still continue to lose fat? What have your experience been like with them when trying to get into shape?

GirlyMuscle
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Just regular fat loss? Not contest prep? Yes...I lost 70 pounds while on Birth Control. It only becomes a problem when you get to really low bodyfat of a competitor. For everyday women do not sacrifice birth control just to lose a few pounds. It really won;t make a difference.

desibaba
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Just regular fat loss? Not contest prep? Yes...I lost 70 pounds while on Birth Control. It only becomes a problem when you get to really low bodyfat of a competitor. For everyday women do not sacrifice birth control just to lose a few pounds. It really won;t make a difference.
Oh yeah. Shes not competing or anything. Just trying to get into shape but i wasnt sure so i told her id ask around. Plus im taking gear right now and im probably shooting blanks anyway lol.

GirlyMuscle
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't trust that for birth control. She needs to stay on whatever she's using.

prettymuscles
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I lost my first 50lbs on Birth Control and my other 25lbs lost it quicker without the BC.. I've been off for 4yrs now and feel much better now (mood wise) :)

LainaJ
06-17-2009, 01:18 PM
I have a huge problem with estrogen.. Nausia, emotional etc.. so I am on lo estrin.. which has the lowest estrogen .. I believe and I do great on that with fat loss

so depending what kind of pill she is taking , she may want to switch to a lower estrogen birth control.

Oh yeah. Shes not competing or anything. Just trying to get into shape but i wasnt sure so i told her id ask around. Plus im taking gear right now and im probably shooting blanks anyway lol.

sassy69
06-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a huge problem with estrogen.. Nausia, emotional etc.. so I am on lo estrin.. which has the lowest estrogen .. I believe and I do great on that with fat loss

so depending what kind of pill she is taking , she may want to switch to a lower estrogen birth control.

Start by asking the OB/GYN about the estrogen / progest dose in the pill she's on. If its higher, is there another option that is lower dose? Then you can explore switching pills. It may take a few months as you really can't determine "good" w/ pills except on 1 month intervals (i.e. 1 complete menstrual cycle).

Otherwise I'm not a big fan of people blaming estrogen for not being able to lose weight. Your pill is a 'maintenance' state, so you'd want your fat loss program to work with it and not just stop using the pills. Better to first confirm if your pill is a potential issue, and then go from there.

And no, do not consider the guy being on AAS to be a reliable birth control method. Just don't unless he doesn't mind the idea of being a dad.