PDA

View Full Version : Strengthrehab's Switch from PL to BB

Strengthrehab
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
A little background--I'm 39. I began lifting at the age of 13. Always wanted to be a bodybuilder. I read all of the mags in the 80's and 90's. I parlayed this passion into undergrad and graduate degrees in exercise physiology and physical therapy. Later, I got married, got lazy and fat, got divorced and decided I was tired of being fat and out of shape.

Two-and a half years ago I started training to get strong but still wanted a good deal of size. I would hit my main lifts for powerlifting training and then all of my accessory lifts were done with higher volume.

I recently had a setback because of injury so I've decided to change my focus back to bodybuilding. I've been playing with the idea for about 6 months anyway.

So I decided I will take the next year and 2 months and prepare for my first BB show scheduled for next May here in Ohio.

Starting stats:
5-10
255lbs (15-17% bodyfat)

Strengths:
Structure--natural broad shoulders, smaller waist (when lean).
Back width and thickness
Legs (28" at this point)
Biceps

Weaknesses (at least in my mind)
Shoulders
Triceps
Chest
calves

Training split is kinda up in the air at this point. Since I just started this higher volume training and new focus, I'm still playing around. I used to do 4 days per week focusing on Bench, Squat, Deadlift and then an "anything goes" (usually upper body volume) days.

So far, the current split is
Chest/Triceps
Back
Legs/Biceps
Shoulders

Training days are Sunday-Tues and Friday. Focus on compound exercises primarily, but adding machines as needed.

So here was trainign so far this week.

2/24/13 Chest/Triceps
BB bench @ 4x10
DB bench @ 4x10
Smith Incline At 12,10,8,8
Machine flye @ 4x15

Smith OHP @ 4x12

Smith JM Press @ 4x10
OH extension @ 4x10
Pushdowns @ 4x10

2/25/12 Back
Bent over Rows @ 4x8-12
Hammer Row @ 4x12
Low Machine Row @ 4x12
Lat Pulldown @ 4x12

This is going to be a work in progress as is typical for training, but the best part is that I'm excited about training again and have a goal to set my mind to.

I appreciate any suggestions regarding training splits--I haven't done bodpart splits for a long ass time. Becuase of my time-limits, I have to be limited to no more than 90 mins per session at most 5 days per week and wednesdays are pretty much out.

Thanks

Curt James
02-26-2013, 12:02 AM
Welcome to Rx Muscle!

Jordan Coburn
02-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Welcome dude! All kinds of knowledge here and in the contest prep section. Feel free to throw up some pics and current diet.

Strengthrehab
02-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks. Pics will be up at some point. I need to get in a little better shape first. Ha.

Jordan Coburn
03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
so hows it going?

Strengthrehab
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
I forgot about this thread. I started one in the Masters section. Check it out

Strengthrehab's Training log
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=112100