PDA

View Full Version : Contest Diet

meatheadio
02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
I am currently in my 3rd year of a Bachelor of Applied Science/Bachelor of Business Management. My formal studies combined with alot more informal study has formed the foundation of knowledge for this cutting cycle.
I started my cutting cycle a little over 4 weeks ago. Unfortunatley due to Univristy exams and other excuses I let my body fat drift up a little higher than I would've liked. I am naturally quite endomorphic so started cutting at 85 kg (187 pounds) @ 18% body fat. (I do not recommend letting body fat het this high and will be closely monitoring my next bulk cycle to ensure this doesn't happen again.
After 4 weeks of dieting and no cardio I am 82 kg (180.4 pounds) @ 14% body fat. This weight and body fat level indicates a 1.8 pound gain in LBM (lean body mass). This is quite normal for many people due to the more regimented nutrient intake and training plan. However I would be foolish to think that any further gains could be made whilst in such a caloric deficit.
Diet is as follows. 200 gm protein (800 Cal.), 240 gm carbohydrate (960 Cal) and 85 gm of fat (765 Cal.) for a total of 2525 Calories per day. With my weight and starting body fat levels this puts me at a 475 calorie deficit per day. This is just slightly under my 500 Cal target but shouldn't impede progress too much in the starting weeks.
Once per week (Sunday) I have my high carb day. On this day I take in 180gm protein (720 Cal.), 360 gm Carbs, (1440 Cal.) and 50 gm fat (450 Cal.) for a total of 2610 Calories. Protein and fat intake are dropped slightly for 2 reasons: 1-to keep the calories in check 2- A high protein intake is not required do to carbohydrates protein sparing properties.
This coincides with my back training day. I also take a day off from all training before back/high carb day to ensure I am well rested. Back is my priority body part and is one of the more demanding workouts (along with quads/hams). This strategies are employed to give my body every opportunity to have adequete nutrients to train well and recover from the workout.
I will stick with this diet until my fat loss stalls.
At that stage I will likely add one cardio session per week and drop the calories a small amount.
Apologies for the lengthy post but wanted to give you all my starting info/stats and logic behind all decisions.

eschlick19
02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you got it down, just be patient and I think you will do great! Maybe contact Dave about his ketogenic diet, trust me when I say this from one natural to another, it is so much easier to follow.

Good luck,

Erik

meatheadio
02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Thankyou for the kind words. Funny you should mention Dave's diet because I just recently decided to follow it. I have gone very low carb in the past for many weeks at a time, and it was agony. Constent cravings and mood swings etc. The switchover period where you deplete glycogen until your body starts producing ketones which everyone said was hell, was actually not all that bad. I was a little tired and lethargic, but nothing too dramatic.
And yes, it is definetly easier to follow. There reallt isnt any guess work and the fact that all meals are basically interchangeable is very convenient for people with a busy life.
I also like the fact that you get a cheat meal once per week. Not only does it give you a great metabolic boost but gives you something to look forward to.
Ill post my results so far in another week.
Thanx again for the support.

thepump
03-21-2009, 05:58 AM
for sure if any one man can help with the game of bodybuilding its dave.