PDA

View Full Version : ABP's Cheaper-than-Therapy, More-Fun-than-an-AA-Meeting run at 2013 NPC Great Lakes Ironman

AnglicanBeachParty
03-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Remember way back in 2010, when I said that I'd be competing at Master's Nationals in 2013 (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?32825-ABP-s-1200-day-road-to-Pittsburgh-(2013))? Yeah, well that's not happening.

Even in that old thread, you could see my on-again, off-again dalliance with competitive bodybuilding. First I was going to do the 2013 NPC Novice Michigan contest, which is the last weekend of March. Then, I made the decision that I would rather go out and drink with my friends. I did that from late summer through the end of 2012, pretty much. Several times during that period, I ended up drinking way too much, to the point where I had to conclude that I am an alcoholic.

I had promised my wife Cindy that I would quit competitive bodybuilding. But, really, it is the strongest weapon I have against drinking right at the moment. Like alcohol addiction, the bodybuilding addiction is a "totalizing" thing; it commandeers one's entire life and gives it drive, purpose, and meaning. And, coincidentally, bodybuilding contest prep is completely at odds with the way I was using alcohol. So, it is a great addiction for me. After a confabulation with my wife, we decided that I would compete on the bodybuilding stage again.

By the time I made this decision, my window of opportunity for getting in shape for the Novice Michigan was gone. So, now I am setting my sights on the 2013 NPC Great Lakes Ironman contest on September 28, in Flint, Michigan.

This is my new Journal. Today's weight: 189 pounds. First (Before) pics next weekend.

Onward and upward!

masterschamp
03-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Paul.....
Took me my whole lunch break to read your new thread title!! Behind you aoll the way, bro.......let it rip

mrky03
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Awesome Paul! I will be following your thread!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Let's go Paul we are all behind you! Get your ass ready!

I'm excited! It's good to be back! Though I never really took time off from the gym, it will be exciting to strip off enough fat to make the progress visible.

Paul.....
Took me my whole lunch break to read your new thread title!! Behind you aoll the way, bro.......let it rip

LOL! Yeah, sorry about that.

Awesome Paul! I will be following your thread!

Thanks!

Weight today is back down to 186 pounds (my pre-Arnold weight). I ate kind of freely at the Arnold, and paid for it a bit. I am back on track now.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-15-2013, 06:14 AM
Still at 186 pounds today, so I guess that is my new equilibrium point. Had to skip my section's monthly Chinese buffet gorge-fest yesterday to keep it at this level, though!

mrky03
03-15-2013, 10:20 AM
Yep! It takes disapline doesn't it? Are you cutting body fat at this point?

Baldiewonkanobi
03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Paul I went from waking up in a drinking buddys kid's tiny bed (he was in bed with parents) in a fog. I staggered down stairs right to the frige at 5am to grab a beer then said "I'm a fucking alcoholic." I never took that beer. 33 years ago. That evening I was sitting in front of Bill Pearl joining his gym.

Proud of you. Keep up got the good work.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-15-2013, 11:19 PM
Yep! It takes disapline doesn't it? Are you cutting body fat at this point?

Yes, I'm doing a first-level cut between now and July. I want to get lean enough for long enough that the loose skin on my belly has time to tighten up.

Paul I went from waking up in a drinking buddys kid's tiny bed (he was in bed with parents) in a fog. I staggered down stairs right to the frige at 5am to grab a beer then said "I'm a fucking alcoholic." I never took that beer. 33 years ago. That evening I was sitting in front of Bill Pearl joining his gym.

Proud of you. Keep up got the good work.

Baldie

Thank you, sir. You are an inspiration!

mrky03
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Good plan! It's smart to do it in stages.

bcapprentice
03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Paul:
It's been awhile since I've been here. Good for you in doing a contest. It'll give you a focus and a purpose. Will follow along while I do my own prep for a show in June.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Paul. Take it one day at a time. Set those smaller goals and hit your marks. The rest will fall into place over time.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-22-2013, 06:23 AM
Paul:
It's been awhile since I've been here. Good for you in doing a contest. It'll give you a focus and a purpose. Will follow along while I do my own prep for a show in June.

Thanks! Good luck at your show!

Paul. Take it one day at a time. Set those smaller goals and hit your marks. The rest will fall into place over time.

I know you are right. It is hard to remember sometimes.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Well, some things are progressing well. I've sent in my registration for the contest in September. I've mailed off for my NPC card.

Body fat seems to be clinging stubbornly onto my midsection and lower body, though. I don't really want to go crazy on cardio this far out, so I'm thinking of dropping carbs a bit.

What IS going well is the not drinking thing. My friends mostly seem cool with it. On St. Patrick's Day, I went for a "test drive" with the new, non-drinking me. I went to hear my friends' band (Me vs the Zombie Attack) play at a nearby bar. It proved to me that I can have fun sober! (See attached pics, taken at the concert.)

mrky03
03-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Good stuff! Yes you just have to be patient and stick to your plan when it comes to fat loss. I always get impatient during the initial stages when I'm in that in between area of not being very lean and my strength is not so good either!

Great to hear about the sobriety!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Good stuff! Yes you just have to be patient and stick to your plan when it comes to fat loss. I always get impatient during the initial stages when I'm in that in between area of not being very lean and my strength is not so good either!

Great to hear about the sobriety!

Thanks. Yes, the sobriety thing is starting to feel more natural. I think less and less about drinking.

This morning's weight: 186 pounds. Time for cardio!

Baldiewonkanobi
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
In addition to the gym time I found that the Bodybuilding diet of smaller multiple meals light on the carbs, high on protein....regulated my bloodsugar. Fewer peaks and valleys. I'd sware many times when my bloodsugar crashed I would grab a beer.

Keep posting.

Baldie

AnglicanBeachParty
03-27-2013, 06:21 AM
In addition to the gym time I found that the Bodybuilding diet of smaller multiple meals light on the carbs, high on protein....regulated my bloodsugar. Fewer peaks and valleys. I'd sware many times when my bloodsugar crashed I would grab a beer.

True. Also, once I have started to lean out, which seems difficult at my age, I don't want to give any of that back by taking in the calories associated with beer or other alcoholic beverages. Still doing great on this score; not even thinking about drinking.

mrky03
03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Great to hear you are doing well! We all want to see you succeed!

by the way, fasted cardio really ramped up my fat loss this year! Just in case you want to try.

AnglicanBeachParty
03-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Great to hear you are doing well! We all want to see you succeed!

by the way, fasted cardio really ramped up my fat loss this year! Just in case you want to try.

I have tried fasted cardio, and I'm fine with doing it. I don't personally have enough data on myself to prove that it is helpful, but I may try it again. Thanks.

mrky03
03-28-2013, 07:49 AM
I have tried fasted cardio, and I'm fine with doing it. I don't personally have enough data on myself to prove that it is helpful, but I may try it again. Thanks.

Its funny because in the past I was always opposed to it . I always thought it would lead to muscle loss. It has really expedited my fat loss this year.

mrky03
03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
To put some more zing into it, add some BCAAs prior to starting your fasted cardio.

Most definitely! I use a preworkout supp that has BCAA's as well as a hefty dose of caffeine. Got to have something to get me going!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Its funny because in the past I was always opposed to it . I always thought it would lead to muscle loss. It has really expedited my fat loss this year.

To put some more zing into it, add some BCAAs prior to starting your fasted cardio.

Thanks, guys. I will try this!

AnglicanBeachParty
03-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm sitting at 185 pounds this morning. It's funny how body composition changes, and how much an "act of faith" bodybuilding is. At least with me, my body stubbornly resists any changes, and looks the same in the mirror for maybe ten days in a row. Then, suddenly (seemingly overnight) it loses the will to resist and one morning I look in the mirror and see that positive changes have been made.

I have a long way to go to get into stage shape, but I'm on a good path. I will post current pics this weekend if I have time.

mrky03
03-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Awesome! I understand, it's tough to be patient! I have to diet for at least 8 weeks before I start to see the results I'm looking for.

masterschamp
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
you said it exactly.....you ARE on the right path!....keep it up

Keith

AnglicanBeachParty
04-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Awesome! I understand, it's tough to be patient! I have to diet for at least 8 weeks before I start to see the results I'm looking for.

you said it exactly.....you ARE on the right path!....keep it up

Keith

Thanks, guys! I plateaued for a long time at 185 pounds, then just woke up one morning recently at 181 ... and it's stuck for 3 days. I could already feel the change in body composition; just no movement on the scale. I have to have a bit more faith in the program.

I'm feeling good about where I am at this point. 13 weeks away from my high school reunion, 24 weeks out from my contest. I still haven't taken recent pics; hopefully this weekend I will have time!

mrky03
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds good, I'm the same way. For weeks it seems like nthings happening and then Bam! I lose several pounds of fat. You are on the right track!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Good stuff! I have had the same type of experience as you and Joel. After 6 weeks of losing only a little,-5 lbs, I suddenly dropped 11 lbs! Keep up the good work!

AnglicanBeachParty
04-17-2013, 06:38 AM
I'm at 180 pounds this morning, and can see the difference in the mirror. I have a lot of time left before my show, so I'm feeling good about this.

Regardless of the title of this thread, I have been attending some AA meetings, and have been doing well on my sobriety.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Well, the 180 day must have been a slight dehydration thing, I guess, 'cause I shot back up to 183 the next day. But I was 181 and hydrated this morning.

FANTASTIC chest/shoulders/triceps workout this morning. Best workout in recent memory.

mrky03
04-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Awesome! Good to hear. Stay away from that scale! Lol

masterschamp
04-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Paul....same for me with the weight...always have some minor sticking points along the way

Keith

AnglicanBeachParty
04-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I do need to be careful about treating the scale as my main metric of success. I'm at 180 pounds today.

Now that I'm not way fat, I can start to judge much better in the mirror, because even small changes are now visible. Whereas, when I was fatter, small changes in body composition got overlooked because of the fat.

mrky03
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I do need to be careful about treating the scale as my main metric of success. I'm at 180 pounds today.

Now that I'm not way fat, I can start to judge much better in the mirror, because even small changes are now visible. Whereas, when I was fatter, small changes in body composition got overlooked because of the fat.

Absolutely! You will start seeing changes week to week no doubt!

AnglicanBeachParty
05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
I am going to try to post in here more often. I think most of my facebook friends are tired of hearing about my training and contest prep. LOL

AnglicanBeachParty
05-04-2013, 07:42 AM
I need to find a better "metric" than body weight to assess my progress, because I think I am still gaining some muscle, and that counts on the scale, too, of course. I think I'd better get serious and start taking these weekly progress pics!

AnglicanBeachParty
05-05-2013, 06:09 AM
It's really quite simple.

Lose the scale Paul.

Simple, yes. Easy, no. I'm addicted to weighing myself, like some anorexic teenage girl.

But, you're right; I just need to follow the plan and trust that my body will do the same things it did before.