PDA

View Full Version : Low carb off season

Mr. Hyde
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
I was thinking of keeping carbs lower durning my gaining phase. Something like 40%pro, 20%carbs, 40%fats. Has anybody ever messed around with something like this? Im about 205 so i was gonna start it at 300/150-200/120-135. Im doing this in hopes to stay leaner, thoughts??

Frosty
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a good idea! I mean if you ate more carbs before and got fatter than you wanted, then it makes sense to cut back on carbs (maybe calories, too!). I still think timing carb intake so more is in the post-workout period than the rest of the day is a great idea to help keep gains lean. Off days could contain less carbs than training days.

bringingthehuge
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I was thinking of doing a similar off season diet so its good to hear some advice

Mr. Hyde
06-19-2009, 08:59 PM
My BF% in higher then i would like right now. Frosty do you think i should go keto untill the abs come back then start adding the carbs back in really slow. Maybe just PWO till the end of the summer?

Frosty
06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
My BF% in higher then i would like right now. Frosty do you think i should go keto untill the abs come back then start adding the carbs back in really slow. Maybe just PWO till the end of the summer?

That sounds like a very good idea to me. Bulking when already chubby never seems to go the way you think it will. You usually just get fatter more than anything.

Mr. Hyde
06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Frosty have you ever tried carb cycling? I torn weather i want to go keto or try carb cycling.

dtay1990
06-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I plan on doing my nutrition similar after my shows this year. I am planning on doing about 50g carb daily (modify if needed by instinct), protein anywhere from 300g-350g, and put fats in about 14g per non-carb meals. Carbs will be used peri-training, and off-days I think I will try doing carb-loads as the last meal before my back and leg workouts. So similiar to my prep diet, but with a little extra lipids, about 25 mor grams of carbs, and only cardio 3x/week.

MDur8
06-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Theres a thread about low carb offseasons at intensemuscle...good read IMO

Frosty
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Frosty have you ever tried carb cycling? I torn weather i want to go keto or try carb cycling.

Here's my opinion:

For the people that aren't carb types, it's always best to start with the LOWEST amount of carbs possible and gradually increase them to see what works.

Why?

Because you're a fat burning type. Your body thrives on fat like a carb burner thrives on carbs. It's what your body is designed to run best on. This means most of your diet should be protein and fat, and starting LOW on carbs because your body isn't so great at handling them will give you a baseline. Then you can gradually increase to see what results you get. Hey who knows, you might progress to the point where you're using so many carbs with good results that carb cycling might be what works best. But the whole idea was that you started low, experimented, got feedback, and found out the MINIMUM amount of carbs you need to make good lean gains. It's easier to do it this way because you're fat adapted. If you go backwards you run into adaptation issues. But also keep in mind that you should be able to handle carbs better when you're 6%, so this is a big reason to get lean FIRST.

So summary - get lean, gradually increase calories from fat and protein, then gradually start adding carbs PWO and extra carb meals once a week and assess results. Increase as needed for performance in the gym and lean gains. If you step up in carbs and you notice 2 weeks later you're gaining some fat, go back to the previous amount that didn't and that's your "sweet spot." This sweet spot I cannot tell you what it is; you have to discover it yourself.

ghij087
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I am agree with you.http://www.oilpaintingscn.com/images/chr04.jpgoil paintings (http://www.oilpaintingscn.com),

Mr. Hyde
07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I found this a while back and thought i would post it here. Alot of good information on the topic.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/22190-offseason-low-carb-diets-3.html?highlight=fat+loss