PDA

View Full Version : Help my lagging chest!

Sliced N Diced
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Im currently KILLING the chest now on mondays. Im considering maybe on friday with arms doing 4 sets of a pec deck or a incline fly. Think this would help or what? Just to break it down a bit, get some flood in there and stretch it out. My ches is obviously lagging so. I was considering doing my intense, heavy day on monday. Then doing a moderatly light day on friday with arms of just a hammer strength press and a fly. 3-4 sets each. Thoughts????

the mighty stu
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I've always had a lagging chest, my delts and tris just overpower it. My current attempt at bringing it up involve a monday session that focuses more on upper, and a fri session that focuses more on lower/mid. In the past I've always just done once a week, so hopefully this will be a nice shock. My calves never grew until I did a similar 'divide and conquor' approach, so I've got my fingers crossed that the next 6-9 months will see some progress.

S

Chmbrspns3
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Have you tried to do a pre-exhaust doing flyes or crossovers before bench, I did that and it helped alot

elpolicia
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey man try this:

Incline barbel or manchine press. 5 x 10.
Dips 5 x max

Another exelent routine:

Decline press 5x10
Flys 5x10

Sliced N Diced
06-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I've always had a lagging chest, my delts and tris just overpower it. My current attempt at bringing it up involve a monday session that focuses more on upper, and a fri session that focuses more on lower/mid. In the past I've always just done once a week, so hopefully this will be a nice shock. My calves never grew until I did a similar 'divide and conquor' approach, so I've got my fingers crossed that the next 6-9 months will see some progress.

S
Yeah this is what sounds good to me right here. Today I may roll with a incline movement like hammer strength press and a pec deck. Hit it just enough then hit the arms. Because I blast chest on monday.

Sliced N Diced
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Alright im going to hit chest 2x a week. Monday will be the most intense, pressing. Friday ill hit it along with arms. However it will be a few assorted incline movements. Im only doing this because im able to get proper REST,RECOVERY,NUTRIENTS,SLEEP so I can be ready and healed for monday. If I did not, I would not be doing this so.

the mighty stu
06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Believe me, I've never been one to hit bodyparts more than once a week. In fact, I pretty much 'wasted' my first year training everyday, and didn't see any growth until I backed off a bit. It's just that even though everything has improved considerably over the years, obviously I have a structural situation where my delts and arms are just on a different level as far as development, and possibly even recovery ability, so I have to try different things. Due to some joint issues, I also can't press as heavy as I used to, so I try to make use of pre-exhaust, as well as a higher volume than I would recommend to anyone else. I've always maintained that you have to give the body something it's unaccostomed to in order for any adpatation attempt to occur, so occassionally, you try something that sounds a little nuts -lol (yesterday I did 10 sets of cable crossovers followed by 10 sets of flat BB presses,.. Ouch!)

S

Sliced N Diced
06-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Believe me, I've never been one to hit bodyparts more than once a week. In fact, I pretty much 'wasted' my first year training everyday, and didn't see any growth until I backed off a bit. It's just that even though everything has improved considerably over the years, obviously I have a structural situation where my delts and arms are just on a different level as far as development, and possibly even recovery ability, so I have to try different things. Due to some joint issues, I also can't press as heavy as I used to, so I try to make use of pre-exhaust, as well as a higher volume than I would recommend to anyone else. I've always maintained that you have to give the body something it's unaccostomed to in order for any adpatation attempt to occur, so occassionally, you try something that sounds a little nuts -lol (yesterday I did 10 sets of cable crossovers followed by 10 sets of flat BB presses,.. Ouch!)

S
Haha, yeah im only doing it with chest. Simple fact I only did 4 sets hammer strength incline and 3 sets of Incline Flyes. Nothing huge, enough to get pumped up and feel it. Now ill just take in proper nutrients, sleep alot and ill be good for monday. Im competing in November so this is the long stretch.

Ronnie Rowland
06-21-2009, 10:52 PM

S

I've seen this work:)

Ronnie Rowland
06-21-2009, 10:59 PM
IMO the 10-15 decline press is the best overall mass builder for the chest. Try it on a smith machine for added growth! Second is incline press on 10-15 degree incline. Also works well on a smith! Hit the nipples with declines and stop an inch or two shy of touching upper chest with inclines.

The Fly machine with hands ending at lower chest is also good as is cable crossovers because they allow for constant tension on the mass of the chest. Incline flyes are okay for upper chest but the pec deck machine can be better.

You'll need to reload and deload accordingly!

the mighty stu
06-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm curious about doing dec DB presses and dec DB flyes in the same session. I know Flex Lewis makes use of both, rationalizing that his lower pec line is weak when dieted down. While I think my mid chest is certainly coming up (I've got a post contest rebound on my side -lol), my lower chest looked like crap in some of the pics from my last show. Not always noticable, but obviously I'm going to scrutinize my weak points to death. I think just my front relaxed was my weakest pose, and I really need to thicken things up overall.

S

Ronnie Rowland
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm curious about doing dec DB presses and dec DB flyes in the same session. I know Flex Lewis makes use of both, rationalizing that his lower pec line is weak when dieted down. While I think my mid chest is certainly coming up (I've got a post contest rebound on my side -lol), my lower chest looked like crap in some of the pics from my last show. Not always noticable, but obviously I'm going to scrutinize my weak points to death. I think just my front relaxed was my weakest pose, and I really need to thicken things up overall.

S For what you are trying to achieve I would go with 10-15 degree decline presses using a smith machine and follow up with flat flyes machine and/or cable crossovers.

the mighty stu
07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I actually don't ever make use of the decline bench, I think the angle is too steep, and just feel awkward. I usually pile three 45lb plates under one end of a flat bench and do DB presses. I have been using the cables, actually I've been doing them 1st, in an attempt to pre-exhaust the pecs a bit, then moving to Dec DBs, and finally to flat BB presses (which I haven't done in years, so it's giving me a great pump, especially after the other 2 exercises). My delts have just always been overpowering in relation to my chest, and although Idid very well at my last show, I know the chest was a huge weak point that ony looked worse dieted down.

S

Ronnie Rowland
07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I actually don't ever make use of the decline bench, I think the angle is too steep, and just feel awkward. I usually pile three 45lb plates under one end of a flat bench and do DB presses. I have been using the cables, actually I've been doing them 1st, in an attempt to pre-exhaust the pecs a bit, then moving to Dec DBs, and finally to flat BB presses (which I haven't done in years, so it's giving me a great pump, especially after the other 2 exercises). My delts have just always been overpowering in relation to my chest, and although Idid very well at my last show, I know the chest was a huge weak point that ony looked worse dieted down.

S3-45 lb plates under a flat bench should be enough of a decline to put more emphasis on the chest when pressing. I also do not like the standard decline bench because of the steep angle. I take one of those reebok-step ups blocks used in aerobics class and place it under an adjustable, movable bench and use a smith machine. For inclines I only move it up one notch.