PDA

View Full Version : Shopping

SallyAnne
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I find myself getting tighter about my spending habits as time passes. I needed new running shoes and bought them new on Ebay for $60 (nike) rather than spend the $120 for them new.

I seriously have a hard time paying full price for anything anymore. I used to be in retail and know what the markup is, so maybe that's part of it. What are your shopping habits like?

~gymdiva~
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I never pay full price for anything if I can help it...regardless of the economy...I like to bargain hunt...

Kelly Baker
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
If it's not on sale, and REALLY on sale at that, I don't buy it.

Tu Holmes
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
If I see something that I REALLY like... I buy it.

I don't go shopping at a whim really... I'll go look, but if I don't REALLY fall in love with whatever it is, it's just not gonna happen.

When I do buy what I really want, I don't care what it costs... I'll do whatever I can to buy it.

Suzy Brown
06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I hate shopping. I go maybe every 3 months and just buy whatever I like, just to get it over with. I usually spend a ton on very high quality or almost nothing on "disposable" clothing that's trendy, so I have a good mix. I think the suit I'm wearing today is 5, maybe 7 years old. I try to do it right in my neighborhood too, or at least on the subway line, I'm just that lazy.

Suzy Brown
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
O but there is a sneaker warehouse in my hood, K-swiss are usually $30ish.

LainaJ
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
the amount of money I spend on a shopping trip entirely depends on how pissed off I am at ALR ;)

SallyAnne
06-19-2009, 08:37 PM
the amount of money I spend on a shopping trip entirely depends on how pissed off I am at ALR ;)

lol

Call me the next time he really makes you mad. :D

Ninja Loco
06-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Having grown up poor (sleeping on the floor poor, two pants and two shirts a year for school) I became a total clothes whore and a shoppaholic. Im talking once I bought the exact same suit twice because I forgot I already had one like it. But it's true, after owning my own businesses and seeing the markups, plus seeing all the clothes I never wore and all the books and materials I never used go out the door to goodwill or other donations, I just cant see paying retail anymore. Now it's garage sales and thrift/consignment stores for my home decor... goodwill for any and all workout needs.... Amazon for anything else they have - always used....... No more DVDs because I can see movies for free online...... and (laugh it up, yall) I signed on with Amway so I can get kickbacks and discounts on every other thing I buy.... All you can eat buffets unless Im with a special someone (which is never)...... and I hire hookers instead of doing the dating thing. But the main thing is now I think extra hard before I buy anything or I wait until i really, really, really need it. For instance I was making my own lifting straps before I had to buy the real ones. Yeah, fuck retail. Never again.

Suzy Brown
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
I don't people should complain about mark ups. Owners have rent, payroll, bills, insurance etc to pay before they get their own paychecks and that all costs big time... its not just about the cost of the item itself you know.

dublin-lifter
06-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I find myself getting tighter about my spending habits as time passes. I needed new running shoes and bought them new on Ebay for $60 (nike) rather than spend the $120 for them new.

I seriously have a hard time paying full price for anything anymore. I used to be in retail and know what the markup is, so maybe that's part of it. What are your shopping habits like?

if you can get them cheapier on ebay then it only makes sense to buy them off that
i hate payin that much for runners or clothes especialy when you know it cost the like $ 2 to make them

Tatyana
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM

I can relate.

Shopping is the last of my addictive behaviours. I haven't bought anything in the last two months, so I am quite pleased.

Know I have to figure out what to do with the retarded amount of clothing, shoes, trainers, jewellery and boots I have.

Suzy Brown
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Know I have to figure out what to do with the retarded amount of clothing, shoes, trainers, jewellery and boots I have.

My address is...

~gymdiva~
06-20-2009, 11:22 AM
now I have to figure out what to do with the retarded amount of clothing, shoes, trainers, jewellery and boots I have.

what size do you wear? :D

SallyAnne
06-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't people should complain about mark ups. Owners have rent, payroll, bills, insurance etc to pay before they get their own paychecks and that all costs big time... its not just about the cost of the item itself you know.

I don't complain about it - I just shop around to make sure someone else doesn't have it cheaper. :D lol Of course, that's only with internet purchases, which I have to say is 80% of my shopping. I live in a small town that thinks JC Penney's is high fashion.

Like Tu said - if it's something I really want, I'll just buy it - but for designer clothes and shoes, I try my best to bargain shop.

Sistersteel
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Today, the only things I shop for are things I need. I have everything that I want, which isn't much. Back in the day when I went shopping I came home with a new car or a small island. I've bought new cars 3 times in five years. That has changed since I been married with a family to support...thank God.

baby gorilla
06-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I get my Jordans directly from the 5 year old that makes them in China. $7 a pair including shipping. I save a ton and the kid quadruples his yearly salary. EVERYBODY WINS!!

Gunz
06-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I hate shopping of any kind!

tight booty
06-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Last year I did too much shopping and have since tightened up on my spending! I have recently discovered ebay for purchasing my "Jan marini" skinare products. I am saving at least 50%, if not more in some cases on purchasing from the USA, rather than Australia!

SallyAnne
06-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Last year I did too much shopping and have since tightened up on my spending! I have recently discovered ebay for purchasing my "Jan marini" skinare products. I am saving at least 50%, if not more in some cases on purchasing from the USA, rather than Australia!

Ebay rocks.

Ninja Loco
06-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry, Ebay sucks now. Everything is pretty near retail price for the Buy It Now and it's 99% businesses. The individual seller is almost long gone.

SallyAnne
06-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Depends on what you're buying. Makeup and skin care is still a pretty good deal - as are designer clothes.

ryu-soma
06-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm a bodybuilder and a college student. So it should come to no surprise that I have bought cloths from the goodwill next to the hospital-and have gone back even after being informed that a few of the shirts used to belong to dead guys. >.>

tight booty
06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Ebay rocks.
Yes it does. I will give an example.....bought a anti aging moisturizer on ebay from the USA and including postage I paid $91 aussie dollars for it. To purchase this product in Australia I would pay $160 aussie dollars for it! That is a big saving for me. I can purchase a pack of 5 items which I use for $250 aussie dollars. If I purchase them in Australia, I will pay $545 aussie dollars.
So from now on I will get my skincare directly from the USA! I already purchase my fragrance from strawberry.net which is hong kong based!

SallyAnne
06-21-2009, 12:09 AM
You should try shoe shopping. I've bought everything from Nike to Prada at a HUGE discount.

tight booty
06-21-2009, 12:16 AM
You should try shoe shopping. I've bought everything from Nike to Prada at a HUGE discount.
I think I will. I really need some new shoes for gym, my ones have got holes in the big toes. I am really getting into internet shopping. The other day I tried to purchase groceries from one of the supermarkets here, but they didn't deliver to my area. I was highly disappointed. I figured if I could make a shopping list, then it's almost impossible to forget items and purchase things on the spur of the moment.

SallyAnne
06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I think I will. I really need some new shoes for gym, my ones have got holes in the big toes. I am really getting into internet shopping. The other day I tried to purchase groceries from one of the supermarkets here, but they didn't deliver to my area. I was highly disappointed. I figured if I could make a shopping list, then it's almost impossible to forget items and purchase things on the spur of the moment.

Kind of dangerous, though. We'd never have to leave home again. lol

IslandGirl
06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I am in need of some new running shoes too. I just gave up my pair to my daughter for her mission trip in Alaska. I think I'll check e-bay. Thanks SA.

Tatyana
06-21-2009, 04:16 PM
My address is...

what size do you wear? :D

LOL! Most are a UK 5, which is a US 7 or 7.5 I think.

I am sending quite a few things to the charity shops, I will give some things away, and some things, like my Thierry Muglier catsuit and Vivienne Westwood suit I am going to ebay, maybe ebay in Japan as they are bonkers for that sort of thing.

SallyAnne
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL! Most are a UK 5, which is a US 7 or 7.5 I think.

I am sending quite a few things to the charity shops, I will give some things away, and some things, like my Thierry Muglier catsuit and Vivienne Westwood suit I am going to ebay, maybe ebay in Japan as they are bonkers for that sort of thing.

Give me the link to your ebay listings when you do it. :)

We wear the same size shoe, btw. ;)

Tatyana
06-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Give me the link to your ebay listings when you do it. :)

We wear the same size shoe, btw. ;)

It is going to be tough parting with some of the knee boots.

If I am doing it as the calves are too tight, I will let you know.

I have a few pairs like that now.