PDA

View Full Version : seasonings

Shadow
06-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Name your favorite seasoning. And for the love of God, please don't say "Mrs. Dash". I have every single one of them, and if I never taste it again, it'll be too soon.

Thinking of mainly chicken and beef here. Thanks! :popcorn:

Chmbrspns3
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Cajun Seasoning and if your lucky enought to find it Caribean Jerk Seasoning, used to use when I was a cook the stuff is phenomenal

Shadow
06-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Cajun Seasoning and if your lucky enought to find it Caribean Jerk Seasoning, used to use when I was a cook the stuff is phenomenal

Any particular brand of cajun seasoning that you think is best?

SoxFan11
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Sea salt.

Chmbrspns3
06-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Any particular brand of cajun seasoning that you think is best?

Philips Blackening Seasoning, I guess its technically not cajun but its good

Shadow
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Sea salt.

LOL. I've been using that with the Mrs. Dash. Kinda defeats its purpose, but whatever!

SoxFan11
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Sea salt is good for you. Especially if you get the kind that has not been processed, thus ensuring beneficial mineral content.

Shadow
06-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Sea salt is good for you. Especially if you get the kind that has not been processed, thus ensuring beneficial mineral content.

I've got this one: http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Sea_Salt.htm

SoxFan11
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I've got this one: http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Sea_Salt.htm

I wonder whether it's been processed. Is the color really white? Most unprocessed sea salts will have an off-white to gray color.

Shadow
06-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I wonder whether it's been processed. Is the color really white? Most unprocessed sea salts will have an off-white to gray color.

It's really white. What do you use? And where do you usually get it?

SoxFan11
06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I get it at the local earthy-crunchy store. Don't recall the name off the top of my head. But it's from France and it's gray. I've also read very good things about Himalayan pink salt.

Shadow
06-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Hmm. I'll have to get a different brand when I run out of the Morton's.

Legend
06-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Sea salt.

Agreed

Legend
06-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Name your favorite seasoning.

There are so many herbs and spices to pick from.

Even just sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper is great.

Here is a small list of some of my favorite culinary herbs and spices.

Sea salt/Kosher salt
Black Pepper (Fresh Cracked)

Basil
Cayenne pepper
Chives
Chopped dried onion
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Cloves
Cumin
Dill
Fennel
Garlic Powder
Nutmeg
Oregano
Onion powder
Paprika
Parsley
Ginger
Rosemary
Sage
Smoked Paprika
Tarragon
Thyme

Ninja Loco
06-20-2009, 01:06 AM
There are so many herbs and spices to pick from.

Even just sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper is great.

Here is a small list of some of my favorite culinary herbs and spices.

Sea salt/Kosher salt
Black Pepper (Fresh Cracked)

Basil
Cayenne pepper
Chives
Chopped dried onion
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Cloves
Cumin
Dill
Fennel
Garlic Powder
Nutmeg
Oregano
Onion powder
Paprika
Parsley
Ginger
Rosemary
Sage
Smoked Paprika
Tarragon
Thyme
Agreed. I have everything here in my personal kitchen arsenal, except for Rosemary. Bad, bad memories associated with that name.

In any case, seasonings are easy. They're just herbs. Smell them, picture the base taste of the meal that you're thinking of cooking and see if they either go together or the seasoning could possibly expand or bring out the flavor. Sure it's trial and error but unless you really fuck up and go overboard it's still edible trial and error.

But when crunch time comes, I really dont think there's anything that the variety of Louisiana Hot Sauces cant cure. Every company makes one, they all taste a little different is all. Then there's the various other Mexican sauces, you just have to be careful because some are hotter than hell itself. The Habanero is great, just super, super hot, so I use it in pinches and dabs. The Valentino is great on eggs.... and dont ever forget plain, good ol' salsa. Rotell makes some very good canned ones, my favorite is the one with green chilis and tomatoes. Get out there and look around, you're bound to find something.

dajossel
06-20-2009, 10:23 AM
"steak seasoning" from costco

freak
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
club house greek seasoning. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm good

B7emm
06-21-2009, 12:44 AM
sugar free ketchup!!

Diabetic Muscle
06-22-2009, 12:27 AM
bacon salt, don't know the brand right off the top of my head. actually really little sodium.

B7emm
06-22-2009, 01:53 AM
the guy who came up with bacon salt was on lura ingram the other day. he has all kinds of bacon stuff.

Shadow
06-22-2009, 02:10 AM
What the hell is this "bacon salt" stuff? The name alone makes me not want to consume it.

dropshot001
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
the guy who came up with bacon salt was on lura ingram the other day. he has all kinds of bacon stuff.

i use bacon salt on everything because its awesome

Legend
06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Agreed. I have everything here in my personal kitchen arsenal, except for Rosemary. Bad, bad memories associated with that name.

...LOL

In any case, seasonings are easy. They're just herbs. Smell them, picture the base taste of the meal that you're thinking of cooking and see if they either go together or the seasoning could possibly expand or bring out the flavor. Sure it's trial and error but unless you really fuck up and go overboard it's still edible trial and error.

But when crunch time comes, I really dont think there's anything that the variety of Louisiana Hot Sauces cant cure. Every company makes one, they all taste a little different is all. Then there's the various other Mexican sauces, you just have to be careful because some are hotter than hell itself. The Habanero is great, just super, super hot, so I use it in pinches and dabs. The Valentino is great on eggs.... and dont ever forget plain, good ol' salsa. Rotell makes some very good canned ones, my favorite is the one with green chilis and tomatoes. Get out there and look around, you're bound to find something.

Agreed, Hot sauce is great.....http://forums.rxmuscle.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Shadow
06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
bumpity

gman
06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
lawry's seasoned salt, the flavor that has cracked black pepper in it.

SoxFan11
06-27-2009, 12:24 AM
What about marinades? Are you on a keto diet? If not, here is a good one for chicken breasts-- orange juice, olive oil, thyme, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

SoxFan11
06-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Also, you might get some other answers in the Muscle Meals section. If you want me to, I can move the thread over there.

Shadow
06-27-2009, 09:25 AM
What about marinades? Are you on a keto diet? If not, here is a good one for chicken breasts-- orange juice, olive oil, thyme, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

I'm not on a keto diet. That actually sounds really good.

Also, you might get some other answers in the Muscle Meals section. If you want me to, I can move the thread over there.

That would be awesome.

Biggie973
06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I like to use all seasonings. Some are just better than others.