PDA

View Full Version : What role does working out play in recovery?

Big Sky Guy
06-22-2009, 12:31 AM
In general alcoholics/addicts tend to have addictive personalities. Not all, but certainly an overwhelming % will seek to replace alcohol/drugs with some other activity/obsession whether it be gambling/sex/work/food/working out/even partcipation in AA/NA can become obsessive. Many of us shift the focus of our lives onto something else in order to not feel our true feelings. Those of you who have spent some time in recovery know what I am talking about through your own experience or by watching others journey in recovery. I initially did a ton of AA almost to the detriment of my family and have worked to find some balance between program, family, and started working out again 12 years ago.

So- there is a bit of background for my basic question. How much does missing workouts affect your serenity? How dependent on getting a good workout/endorphin hit have you become?

I ask as I tore an adductor 3 weeks ago and cannot get any decent lower body work in and some of your typical upper body work has been compromised. Looks like it will be several months before I will be squatting and pulling in the 5's which is really throwing me for more of a loop that I would like to admit. I was hoping to do my first PL meet this fall and am pretty sure that will be postponed. I am fairly shocked at how much like the concept of HALT- hungry, angry, lonely, tired is also true with working out. If I do not get a workout in every couple days I get a bit irritable as tension builds up.

I know this was a long read, but believe all the background is worth it. Where are you at with dependence on working out? What have you found effective in keeping balance? Any healthy substitutes when you cannot workout heavy?

Sistersteel
06-22-2009, 01:40 AM
In general alcoholics/addicts tend to have addictive personalities. Not all, but certainly an overwhelming % will seek to replace alcohol/drugs with some other activity/obsession whether it be gambling/sex/work/food/working out/even partcipation in AA/NA can become obsessive. Many of us shift the focus of our lives onto something else in order to not feel our true feelings. Those of you who have spent some time in recovery know what I am talking about through your own experience or by watching others journey in recovery. I initially did a ton of AA almost to the detriment of my family and have worked to find some balance between program, family, and started working out again 12 years ago.

So- there is a bit of background for my basic question. How much does missing workouts affect your serenity? How dependent on getting a good workout/endorphin hit have you become?

I ask as I tore an adductor 3 weeks ago and cannot get any decent lower body work in and some of your typical upper body work has been compromised. Looks like it will be several months before I will be squatting and pulling in the 5's which is really throwing me for more of a loop that I would like to admit. I was hoping to do my first PL meet this fall and am pretty sure that will be postponed. I am fairly shocked at how much like the concept of HALT- hungry, angry, lonely, tired is also true with working out. If I do not get a workout in every couple days I get a bit irritable as tension builds up.

I know this was a long read, but believe all the background is worth it. Where are you at with dependence on working out? What have you found effective in keeping balance? Any healthy substitutes when you cannot workout heavy?

Awesome thread BSG. Should make for an interesting discussion!
I, for one, will tell you that my mental wellbeing is highly dependent on my training. I have had instances in the past where my training took precedence over everything and everyone. Though I have made big changes to my lifestyle to avoid such destructive behavior, I still fall prey to my obsessions most of the time. But at least I am conscious of it today though and can keep myself in check. If I am sick or injured, I will take time off and not allow my mind to guilt me into pushing through when my body is clearly telling me to stop. Now if I am forced to take time away from my training for whatever reason, I will notice a significant change in my moods and energy levels. I find myself sinking into a depressive state which is highly detrimental to my sanity. We have no control over things that could potentially happen, but I will make a big effort to minimize the possibility of getting injured so as to avoid finding myself in such a situation. My urge to use intensifies when I am sitting around unable to train. The book said it best:

An idle mind is a devil's playground.

SS

quadzilla33
06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
what helps me find in keeping a balance is a plan/program. I have my training program all mapped out for the year, with breaks every so often in the year. I know pretty well exactly how much weight, sets reps i will be doing everyworkout. I find this helps me from doing too much and having structure in my training.Having a program in training is like having a program in recovery in my opinion

Sistersteel
06-22-2009, 03:27 AM
what helps me find in keeping a balance is a plan/program. I have my training program all mapped out for the year, with breaks every so often in the year. I know pretty well exactly how much weight, sets reps i will be doing everyworkout. I find this helps me from doing too much and having structure in my training.Having a program in training is like having a program in recovery in my opinion

Excellent post my friend. Very healthy approach as well. I must say I am guilty of not adhering to my training regimen most of the time despite my knowing how important structure is for a person with my struggles.

Tatyana
06-22-2009, 04:18 AM
I am starting to think that humans, for the most part, are extreme creatures of habit and we are hard-wired to have some sort of compulsive or addictive behaviour.

My own addictive personality has emerged recently as I am giving up the last of my addictive behaviours, compulsive shopping when I really don't need to buy anything.

All of a sudden after years and years of being smoke free, I am having the most bizarre cravings for cigarettes.

I think they have emerged as I don't have anything addictive right now, for example, my training and cardio have been intermittent as best with the amount of travelling I have done this year and I am only studying part-time and on a wee bit of academic burn-out.

As we are all going to have this quirk, I think it is about choosing your addictions and compulsions wisely.

I have choosen healthy diet, training, education and travelling as my addictions.

:)

Big Sky Guy
06-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Lotta good thoughts here. Holding ourselves back for fear of how we will cope if we get injured...and how much of that may be rooted in common sense as we get older? I know I am not near as risk taking in certain activites in life...something about having kids and others being dependent on me vs. doing whatever I need to do to ensure I get to do the activity I want to do.

I applaud your dedication quadzilla! I am not that organized by nature and even find programs like the more agressive 5x5 hard for me to follow for long periods of time as often times working out is almost more theraputic (to gather my thoughts) than just a simple event of putting weight on a bar and squatting, pulling or pressing it. Those don't make for the best training days, but they sure help keep my life in order.

Tat- I am curious about why everything has to be an addiction/compulsion? Are not some things just an emotional outlet? Are they sometimes good outlets as you describe eating right and working out? Or are you saying that your eating right, working out, education is obsessive/compulsive? I just want to understand the context of your statement. One way of looking at it is just a good focused life, the other is a life of running away from something....generally we are running away from overwhelming feelings of inadequacy, shame, fear of failure, etc.

You certainly describe what many of us go through when we have to lay down a compulsive behavior and look at our feelings, what drives us, which makes us uncomfortable and of course we don't like that and anxiety or other feelings come in and we start looking for other ways to cope, to cover up our feelings....really classic for most of us to go back to the one that brung us.

Admitting and knowing we are using people, places, things to make us feel a certain way is the beginning of working towards balance. That is part of the reason I posted. I am somewhat suprised by how dependent I have become on heavy training. Something that was a place of solace and to gather my thoughts (working out) has now become a necessity in my mind and to my body.

Sistersteel
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Doesn't anyone care to partake in this important discussion? BigAl?
I find it surprising that no one has an opinion on the matter.

Tat, I think that the behavior you've described is more an outlet, as BSG mentioned, rather than an addiction. If it were that easy to pick and choose our addictions or compulsions then NA would not exist. Many people tend to use the words "I am addicted to" very loosely as a way of expressing a strong passion or affinity towards a hobby or behavior, that does not necessarily have to be unhealthy or detrimental to ones wellbeing. For example, how many times have you heard women say: "I am addicted to chocolate", or a man say "drag racing is addictive!", or "I am addicted to shopping".

The addictions that BSG makes reference to, are the life threatening behaviors and the lifetime of consequences that some of us recovered addicts have to battle on daily basis. Taking away the drug of choice, or the object of the addict's affection, leaves a void that the addict ultimately seeks to fulfill by developing other habits that mimic the thrill of recreational drug use. Statistically, the majority of recovered heroin addicts end up developing an eating disorder or develop obsessive exercise habits. That is because the disease is the same at the root only manifests itself differently in different individuals. When an anorexic is starving, their body produces an endorphin rush that sends the sufferer on a chase for more. Similarly, obsessive exercise is the addict trying to intensify that endorphin rush by working himself to death.

So what we are trying to discuss here is the extent of our dependency on our training having been stripped of "the object of our affection" or "our drug of choice". And what are the coping skills some of us in recovery have developed to dealing with injury or sickness which forces us to take time off. That deprives us from fulfilling that "need" to get that daily endorphin fix that we depend on to stay clean. Sometimes the mental withdrawals can send an addict on a downward spiral that could potentially lead to a disaster.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

SS

dublin-lifter
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM

you could try walking maybe anywhere scenic near where you live might make it a bit better my lung collapsed a few years back and i couldnt lift weights for 3 months after but after 4 weeks i was allowed to moderate cardio so i used to jog a few nights a week now im not mad about cardio but it kept me goin and i at least felt like i was doing sumthing

also swimming is another great exercise and the water should support your leg pretty well even if not you can just use your upper body ive never had that injury so i dont really now what you can and can not do

dublin-lifter
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
and yes i have a huge dependence on working out as i was a bit of a fat kid in my teens i find myself paranoid about my weight if i miss out on say a week i start to convince myself that im after gettin fat and stuff

Sistersteel
06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Swimming is a great idea for that injury BSG! I love to swim. Just as long as you can get your heart rate up and get a good sweat going, you will not feel as unproductive.

Big Sky Guy
06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks d-l and SS. I have been biking quite a bit as it is really the only thing that I can do that is low enough impact while getting the heart rate up.

And there is no doubt swimming will get the heart rate up for me! I swear I am allergic to swimming as it is sooooo much work! Maybe this is the time to give it some effort.

dublin-lifter
06-25-2009, 09:17 AM
yea maybe if you joined some classes it might be good as you would be forced a bit more as to put in the effort to keep up with the classes you can get classes for everything from beginning to expert level so you can find a level that suits you
yea the biking sounds pretty good also a great exercise once your getting out there and making a sweat you will feel much better

cobra
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
wow, it's pretty fuckin cool that there is a thread for NA. I've been clean for a little over 2 years now, went to rehab in 06, if that tells ya anything lol. It's all good though! Anyway, I find that I can be just as addicted to workin out (AMONG MANY OTHER THINGS) and eat as I was about drugs. It's hard for me to find a balance w/anything in life.

Question: Does anyone else kinda hate the fact they can't do juice b/c of our addiction? Damn, I kinda even feel bad sayin that..

Sistersteel
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
wow, it's pretty fuckin cool that there is a thread for NA. I've been clean for a little over 2 years now, went to rehab in 06, if that tells ya anything lol. It's all good though! Anyway, I find that I can be just as addicted to workin out (AMONG MANY OTHER THINGS) and eat as I was about drugs. It's hard for me to find a balance w/anything in life.

Question: Does anyone else kinda hate the fact they can't do juice b/c of our addiction? Damn, I kinda even feel bad sayin that..

Hello cobra! Yes, we've had the NA forums up for quite some time now. Its not very busy in here because most people prefer to lurk and read and refrain from sharing. But a few of us regulars are here on a daily basis sharing our experiences and our feelings. We lean on each other and find hope in each other's stories. So welcome home brother, keep coming back!

Now to answer your question, are you saying you feel bad because you are in recovery and are using AAS or were you implying you feel bad for having mentioned wanting to use AAS while in recovery but have not done so? Please clarify!

Welcome to the forum!

SS

cobra
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
No no! I meant want to, just sometimes. It's just, you know bein an addict, and being so obsessive, and BBing fallin into one of my many obsessions, sometimes I wish I could use AAS to take myself to the next level physique wise. You know what I mean? LOL BUT, it's really just a random or 'fleeting' thought.

Sistersteel
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
No no! I meant want to, just sometimes. It's just, you know bein an addict, and being so obsessive, and BBing fallin into one of my many obsessions, sometimes I wish I could use AAS to take myself to the next level physique wise. You know what I mean? LOL BUT, it's really just a random or 'fleeting' thought.

Oh I understand totally. We all develop our own coping skills to help keep ourselves in check. Fleeting thoughts will come and go, its what you do about them that matters.

Glad to heave you with us :)

SS

SonOfPluto
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Through my experience, I have found that intense work-outs are the most effective means of stimulating the production and release of our own endorphins, the harder one works out the better. When one becomes addicted, the body no longer produces these endorphins. That's one of the reaons why there is little incentive to workout when you're a junkie, you're no longer receiving that 'natural high' as a reward for your efforts.

SonOfPluto
07-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I am starting to think that humans, for the most part, are extreme creatures of habit and we are hard-wired to have some sort of compulsive or addictive behaviour.

My own addictive personality has emerged recently as I am giving up the last of my addictive behaviours, compulsive shopping when I really don't need to buy anything.

All of a sudden after years and years of being smoke free, I am having the most bizarre cravings for cigarettes.

I think they have emerged as I don't have anything addictive right now, for example, my training and cardio have been intermittent as best with the amount of travelling I have done this year and I am only studying part-time and on a wee bit of academic burn-out.

As we are all going to have this quirk, I think it is about choosing your addictions and compulsions wisely.

I have choosen healthy diet, training, education and travelling as my addictions.

:)

I hear you, for several years I had a severe addiction to tramadol, averaging around 30 pills a day. My liver counts were so high, that the doctor insisted that I had hepatitis until a test cleared me. I'm hoping I can tell my story on 'off topic' sometime. I think it would therapeutic for me to take a risk and just put it all out there for people to hear.

Sistersteel
07-04-2009, 04:46 AM
I hear you, for several years I had a severe addiction to tramadol, averaging around 30 pills a day. My liver counts were so high, that the doctor insisted that I had hepatitis until a test cleared me. I'm hoping I can tell my story on 'off topic' sometime. I think it would therapeutic for me to take a risk and just put it all out there for people to hear.

Why not start by sharing it here?? Quite a few readers in the NA Forums need to hear stories like yours. I, for one, would love to hear it. Your contributions to this forum would be very appreciated!

SS

Bryan Hildebrand
07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
as SS knows, for me, taking a risk, sharing privately with her my misadventures in addiction, has come with an unforseen benefit; serenity. I attempt to apply it to as many portions of my life as possible, every day. my children see a difference. my girlfriend sees a difference. my wife on the other hand has fallen into a chasem of self-pity that even by me being a better person, i can not fix alone. thats another stpry for another day.

back to the subject at hand...

my addictive personality, except for one vice, is a light switch. on and off with utter ease. however, when it comes to training, my OCD comes out. I relegate X amount of time, each day to my training. everyone in my life see and accepts it. it is who I am. my muscle, strength, size and power are foremost on my mind when I train. I am by myself, much as I like when I use my one and only addiction. I stare at the floor, conscious of no one. music blaring. (by day I am a miles davis, mat kearney, Sirius Channel 30 kinda guy) when I train its god smack, ac/dc, mudvayne, dr dre, metallica. a mindset not far from that of addict. its my high. pain, strain, breathless, attention to specificity. when I am done, I am usually more mentally exhausted from training than physically.

SonOfPluto
07-05-2009, 01:03 AM
Why not start by sharing it here?? Quite a few readers in the NA Forums need to hear stories like yours. I, for one, would love to hear it. Your contributions to this forum would be very appreciated!

SS

Yes, I will do that soon.

LookImDancinCrazy!
07-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Where are you at with dependence on working out? What have you found effective in keeping balance? Any healthy substitutes when you cannot workout heavy?

I've never developed a psychologically unhealthy dependence on pumping iron. It definitely provides me with a sense of productivity and working towards a longterm personal goal. However, if I must miss a workout I can live with it. I cant say I have any problem moving past it psychologically.

I did notice that running got me high though, literally. For a while I'd run until I got the shits, pardon my language. Runners know what I'm talking about. It truly is a high in the literal sense of the term. Now when I'd miss a run, I would get truly pissy with everyone, and be preoccupied with getting a run somehow. If it meant sleeping 3 hours before having to be at work in the morning to get a missed run, fine. Fuck sleep. Must run. I only went on that road for about 4 months before I realized it wasn't healthy and stopped altogether.

Now running is a no-starter. Don't do it at all.

R.I.P.
08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
i think any thing you put ahead of life in general can be devastating. no matter what. i have missed meetings cuz i became obsessed withother things. i have missed family stuff cuz i was obsessed with meetings. working the steps and applying what i found there into my life has helped a great deal. i don't know how people in other fellowships or even in other NA areas work steps. i work steps by writing things out then going over the material with my sponsor. that is not to say that i live a perfect life. i still have defects of character, but after working a sixth and seventh step, hopefully ,i'm not acting out on them as often.balance can be tricky, some days are better than others. working out is a big part of my program cuz the disease of addiction effects me physically,mentally and spiritually. if one thing is missing i feel it. when i can't train due to injury or whatever i try to work around it or increase cardio. just doing something helps.

cobra
08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
This is somethin I def have been strugglin w/as of late. I know I'm totally obsessed w/all this BBing shit. I talk w/my sponsor about it quite a bit. Kinda hate it sometimes, like wish I didn;t knw and care so much about it now, ya know. I have some great friends in NA, my best friends, alot of us got clean together, met em in treatment, lived w/em in the half way house ect ect. Are things always been goin out to eat, well since summers hit I've been so strict on my diet (been doin Keto) and I mean I weigh and measure all my food, you know the whole deal, and have been skippin out on eatin w/them and shit and it sux you know, like that it somethin I love to do, THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT! Recovery to me is in that fellowship w/other recovering addicts, not so much in meeting, that's just my opinion. Anyway, I've atleast been goin here and there and just sittin there, drooling watching them eat LOL. And on Saturday night sometimes I've been fitting my cheat meals in for when we go out after the meeting. Soooooooo, just needed to throw that out there, thanx.

R.I.P.
08-17-2009, 08:00 PM
This is somethin I def have been strugglin w/as of late. I know I'm totally obsessed w/all this BBing shit. I talk w/my sponsor about it quite a bit. Kinda hate it sometimes, like wish I didn;t knw and care so much about it now, ya know. I have some great friends in NA, my best friends, alot of us got clean together, met em in treatment, lived w/em in the half way house ect ect. Are things always been goin out to eat, well since summers hit I've been so strict on my diet (been doin Keto) and I mean I weigh and measure all my food, you know the whole deal, and have been skippin out on eatin w/them and shit and it sux you know, like that it somethin I love to do, THAT'S WHERE IT'S AT! Recovery to me is in that fellowship w/other recovering addicts, not so much in meeting, that's just my opinion. Anyway, I've atleast been goin here and there and just sittin there, drooling watching them eat LOL. And on Saturday night sometimes I've been fitting my cheat meals in for when we go out after the meeting. Soooooooo, just needed to throw that out there, thanx.

gym rat , i feel ya brother. going out after the meeting is where the bonding happens for sure. there are times i get more otta that than the meeting too. suggest going somewhere different . unless they are like my peeps, they go to the same place evry friggin week. i am so sick of vietnamese food and bbq. thats what we eat.