PDA

View Full Version : T3/ Clen and synthroid

devil's_daughter
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a friend who is currently on synthroid for hyothyroidism. She is currently overweight (mid 200's) and would like to incorporate T3 and/or Clen into her training program for the boost to her metabolism and the obvious fat loss component of each.

Is this something intellectual for her to do? If so what could be sides? What dosages would you recommend?

Thanks

sassy69
06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Is the synthroid currently dosed correctly to address her thyroid issues? And has she adjusted a diet & training program to produce results already? I think you probably know my opinion of people looking to self-medicate because they heard about stuff, but their basic programs suck.... or put more eloquently, are not currently designed and applied consistently in order to creat an environment in which the body could support & maintain bodyfat loss.

Big Sky Guy
06-22-2009, 04:02 PM
dd- my wife takes synthroid or the old school armour, I can't remember which. Either case, it takes 6 weeks for levels to even out once you make a change. So if she has just started or just modified her dosing, it will take awhile for her body to adjust.

She also needs to be taking it 1st thing in the AM on an empty stomach and not eat or take any supplements for 45-60 minutes after (straight from the doc and manufacturer).

Check with her to see if she is getting those things done spot on as it will affect how well her body uses her current dosing.

devil's_daughter
06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
She sees her doc often and she supposes her dosage is right. I'll get it and see what you think. She trains but trains heavy. I've been trying to switch her over to a more cardio/endurance type workout and along with others she's finally commited to switch.
Her diet is ok but not the greatest. She's decided that cheat days are not an option for her. She's been trying this 'plan' for 2 months with sllllooowww results. Thought that maybe an additional additive might be helpful.

devil's_daughter
06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
BSG- thanks and I will ask.

I believe she's been on this med for awhile now (~5 years...???).

Tatyana
06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
BSG- thanks and I will ask.

I believe she's been on this med for awhile now (~5 years...???).

Ask her if she has had a TSH recently. Really, she should be tested minimum once a year.

If she is having issues with weigh, he doctor may prescribe Armour or additional T3.

T3 is dosed quite low, typically around 10-20 micrograms/day, often starting at 5 micrograms/day initially and checking bloods once a month to ensure the dose is correct.

T4 (synthroid) dose is reduced when taking T3.

I personally think Clen is over-rated and the short term effects and rebound when coming off it are not really worth it for anyone who is working on having a normal bodyweight. It is more of a competition prep drug IMHO.

As she is carrying a fair amount of extra weight (and obviously fat), she can tolerate a more severe calorie reduction for a short period of time for the little jump start she needs.

Big Sky Guy
06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
That is quite a long time so she should be pretty well sorted out, but check and see when her last TSH panel was done.

I know my wife has gone to an endocrinologist as even with the proper dosing she can often feel worn out and lethargic which isn't conducive to getting in good workouts!

sassy69
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
And review the diet -- IMO 1 cheat / week is important and its more about getting your mind around a consistent diet w/ a scheduled refeed / week. I get she wants results faster but, seriously unless you've got all the other stuff working, looking for a quicky short cut usually blows up in your face. Its a lifestyle, not a diet. And all the hardest training in the world won't produce the results you think it should if your diet isn't spot on. I can attest to that having trained balls to the wall since I was in my early 20s but never got the whole thing to come together until I did the diet w/ it. I did it the first time for a trip to Mexico and the next where I finally figured it all out was at my first show prep at age 35. So, fantastic she's got the bug for the training, but even that won't be the whole enchilada until the diet is tight & consistent too. And really, IMO better to just lose the idea of looking around for supplements to help jumpstart things if the diet isn't tight already. I just can't emphasize that enough. People spend way too much time & money looking for the short cut when they are sabotaging themselves regularly by not focusing on the diet. It doens't have to be miserable & restricitve - it just has to be tight & consistent.

devil's_daughter
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks to all who posted...

Got some more answers today and realized that the diet is the best thing... need to rework that before any additives are thrown into the mix.

Thanks again... and all suggestions were passed on