PDA

View Full Version : squatting last in the workout

irishmuscle
06-24-2009, 11:15 AM
has anyone done squats last in the workout after pre-exhausting the legs and would it have any benifits?

bringingthehuge
06-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I've done it before just to mix it up. But prefer to do them earlier in the workout when i have more energy and ambition to go heavy.

ironwarrior22
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been doing DC training for a while and squats are always last. It's different but it really lets you take every last bit of energy out.

Mudpro69
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Occasionaly I'll do some warmup sets of leg extentions before hitting the squat rack. But most of the time I'll go right for the squat racks and get it over with....

jeff_hardy
06-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I have tried it once or twice. for me its not that bad. I can still hit around the same weights as I did doing it first I like doing deads, bench and squats in the middle b/c it makes it a true exercise and not an ego lift. It less you focus more and less on the weights.

Now superseting squats and leg press is a whole another thread LOL

Ronnie Rowland
06-28-2009, 07:13 PM
A couple of sets of high rep leg extensions is good before squats because it warms up the knees but I am a firm believer in doing squats before hamstring exercise. Keep in mind that squats work the hams indirectly and you are basically finishing off the hams with leg curls. You wouldn't do rows before bench press would you? Of course not!!! So why would you want to do hams before squats? You wouldn't !

If you do not have enough energy left to train hams after squats then do them on a different day.;)

dublin-lifter
07-05-2009, 09:44 PM
once or twice to mix it up
never go in cold and do squats always do leg extensions or a bike for 5 mins just to get the blood flowing

dropshot001
07-06-2009, 01:14 PM
seeing as i do dc, i do squats last. the heavy set and the widowmaker really take all the energy out of you and leave you with no energy to do anythign else. i don't think i woudl squat as hard as i do if i did it first in the workout as i'd be trying to save energy/strength to get through the rest of my workout

Shadow
07-06-2009, 01:36 PM
It's a good practice if squats bother you for whatever reason, like a knee injury.

Nelford
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I start off with a 5 min bike ride then do a couple sets of leg extensions to warm up the knees. After that I move to the leg press machine for a couple of sets. Lastly, is squats and my quads have started to grow. I use to do squats first and was out for 6 months for knee problems. Now my knees don't hurt at all after leg day

Ronnie Rowland
10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I start off with a 5 min bike ride then do a couple sets of leg extensions to warm up the knees. After that I move to the leg press machine for a couple of sets. Lastly, is squats and my quads have started to grow. I use to do squats first and was out for 6 months for knee problems. Now my knees don't hurt at all after leg dayThis tells me you might not be warming up properly before squats. Some need to warm up on leg ext, leg presses and then do even more warm ups on squats before actually starting to do work sets with squats.

It could also be from doing the squats using wrong form or trying to use too much weight.

If you warming up properly and still haveing knees pain then performing work sets with leg presses before squats will keep you from squatting as much weight-hence less strain on your knees if squats are hurting them.

Nelford
10-15-2009, 12:46 PM
This tells me you might not be warming up properly before squats. Some need to warm up on leg ext, leg presses and then do even more warm ups on squats before actually starting to do work sets with squats.

It could also be from doing the squats using wrong form or trying to use too much weight.

If you warming up properly and still haveing knees pain then performing work sets with leg presses before squats will keep you from squatting as much weight-hence less strain on your knees if squats are hurting them.

You got it bro, that was the problem. Even if I did light warm-up sets with squats they would still hurt later. Now that I do leg extensions, leg press, then squats I have not had any problems.

Northman
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
has anyone done squats last in the workout after pre-exhausting the legs and would it have any benifits?

Defintely put them last, Dorian did it this way.

For example I did 5 sets of 1 leg presses up too 5 plates a side, then proceeded to squat for 225 315 and 405. Tore my legs up~

lilarnold
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
i have 2 bulging discs in my back so i tend to use this approach

larryvonramrock
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I always stretch earlier in the day on quad days.By the time I start my workout I'm still really loose.Then 1st in my workout I do leg extentions for really high reps to get my legs good-n-pumped up before I squat.I always wear my knee bracess to keep my knee's warm as well.Then I squat but I never do them last unless I'm doing like 8 sets of 10 to 15 reps to the floor and then they are last by default because im out of gas.

Mr Incredible
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I've squatted last and it can be good if your prepared to rep out

Gerb
10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I got some bum discs in my low back so squating last works well for me as the muscles are tired and I can get away with lighter weight.

MichaelWayne
10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Only time I don't do them first is if I do Extensions before just to burn them out a little. Never tried doing them last, I'd be too afraid of having a muscle give out and then I'm really screwed.