PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Question

USMC 1371
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Question about cardio. Being a Marine, all I've ever done is run. So when I got out 3 years ago, the last thing I wanted to do was run. So, I got fat. I've decided to reenlist as soon as I get rid of the fat so I started running again along with regular weight training. I go to the gym 4 days a week. I hit 2 body parts hard and then go straight to the treadmill and run 5 miles(45 minutes) twice a week and it seems to be working ok since I started 2 months ago. I see good improvements even though my weight hasn't gone down much (I must be gaining a good amount of muscle) and the fat seems to be coming of slowly everywhere but my gut. I've decided my body is ready for a third day of running but wondering about other forms of cardio. I remember once someone talking about keeping heart rate at a certian number or something and that distance running isn't always the best. I'm just wanting to make sure that I am maximising the potential of my workouts. Would I be better of mixing in some stationary bike or something instead of a third run?

BigJD69
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Boxing!!!! Best cardio workout!!!!

chucksm00th
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Question about cardio. Being a Marine, all I've ever done is run. So when I got out 3 years ago, the last thing I wanted to do was run. So, I got fat. I've decided to reenlist as soon as I get rid of the fat so I started running again along with regular weight training. I go to the gym 4 days a week. I hit 2 body parts hard and then go straight to the treadmill and run 5 miles(45 minutes) twice a week and it seems to be working ok since I started 2 months ago. I see good improvements even though my weight hasn't gone down much (I must be gaining a good amount of muscle) and the fat seems to be coming of slowly everywhere but my gut. I've decided my body is ready for a third day of running but wondering about other forms of cardio. I remember once someone talking about keeping heart rate at a certian number or something and that distance running isn't always the best. I'm just wanting to make sure that I am maximising the potential of my workouts. Would I be better of mixing in some stationary bike or something instead of a third run?

Running is catabolic!!! You already depleted your glycogen(stored carbs) with your lifting so the next fuel source is fat. if you elevate heart rate above 130bpm, you will burn more calories but more muscle is lost since the lack of glycogen. your body will catabolize muscle tissue in order to make glycogen to perfom instense cardio such as running. Stick to walking after weight training. i know it sounds crazy but if you do that and eat healthier, more muscel is psared and your BMR remains higher ence you will burn more calories and lees chance of a rebound like what happened when you got out of the service.

USMC 1371
02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would it be better to run on an off day or will it still be catobolic. I would like to keep up the endurance. The physical fitness test is 3 miles and I'm currently running a 22 minute and would like to get to 21 minute. I'm currently 260lb, 24%bf according the to the Marine Corps calculations (don't get me started). I haven't been under the weight limit since boot camp (203) but I get by with the bf allowance (18% max). I'll give fast walking a go. How long should go? 45min, hour? I could do it everyday. With running I need a few days off. Thank you again for the info.
Semper Fi.

chucksm00th
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Would it be better to run on an off day or will it still be catobolic. I would like to keep up the endurance. The physical fitness test is 3 miles and I'm currently running a 22 minute and would like to get to 21 minute. I'm currently 260lb, 24%bf according the to the Marine Corps calculations (don't get me started). I haven't been under the weight limit since boot camp (203) but I get by with the bf allowance (18% max). I'll give fast walking a go. How long should go? 45min, hour? I could do it everyday. With running I need a few days off. Thank you again for the info.
Semper Fi.

If you want to run make sure you eat carbs b4 your do so otherwise youll burn up muscle (since you sill be in a depleted state from not eating them)

I would stick to intervals for cardio vascular and endurance...walk for 3 min and sprint for 1min..its less taxing on muscle.

Dont FAST Walk...im 5'11 and 3.8-3.9 mph is plenty with and incline on the treadmill...remember heart rate should eb under 130bpm.

Since your running is makin you rest more try doing intervals on the elliptical...no impact whatsoever and it will save your knees and joints for sure!!:D

You can always perform cardio on off days from training just walking...

when i diet for shows i start at 25min and increase the time by 5 min every 2 wks...after two weeks i add night sessions starting at 25 min also and increase the time as i do Above...by the time im at 50-60 min both sessions it show time and im Diced at 3% BF...then again im eating super clean also

Good Luck