PDA

View Full Version : Bloating after contest - rookie mistake

DR.BB
06-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Anyone experience massive bloating post-contest? I have a tendency to binge but did NOT do so after my show last week. 4 slices of pizza after pre-judging and a couple later that night. 3 Doughnuts the next day, but fit into 2500kcal for the day, then did 5 days of 2100 Kcal of "clean" eating. I was also careful with water intake and continued my regular training. On days 6, 7, 8 after show I broke down: box of cookies, 7 slices of pizza, Italian pastries, linguine in clam sauce and some Italian cheesecake over three days. It was also the first time I guzzled water since the show.
I weighed 173 on show day, 180 up to the sixth day after. Now I am 195 (started 12 week contest diet around 204-205lbs) and ankles super swollen, quads swollen and lower abs feel like a water bed. Breathing is labored, etc.
I know it was a mistake to overeat, but it was my first show, a great experience and I won the Masters overall.

Is bloating something that happens and clears on its own post show? Advice or ideas are appreciated.

Hoss06
06-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Just ease back into ur diet and you'll be fine...ur body is soaking up everything like a sponge right now.

nsp
06-09-2013, 11:33 PM
I just had a show June 1s myself. Weighed in at 185 fully depleted averaged a 6lb gain every day until the Thursday afterwards. By that time just 5 days post show I was 225, about the same weight I started the diet with. I didn't do anything crazy either. Only thing out of the ordinary I had was a firehouse sub and baked lays the Sunday after. From then on it was my same old clean foods but really eat a lot of it. About 20% more calories but still the same clean macros. I do, however , like to hit the seasonings and condiments, but I was doing that through out my diet anyhow. I ended up with some pretty nice ankle edema and swollen feet with tightness all over.

So for the last 2 days I just scaled back on my sodium and cut my carbs out of my last 2 or 3 meals and today I was already back down 12lb and feel much more comfortable. I have also been hitting my regular weight training and even did a few sessions of cardio this week too. So its nothing out of the ordinary. You didn't gain nearly as much as I did so dont feel bad lol. Just try and elevate your feet as much as possible and scale back on your carbs and sodium until you're back to feeling comfortable, then start gradually bringing you regular sodium and carb consumption back to normal.

Big Baldwin
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
A lot of it is water retention from all the high sodium foods you ate. Returning to your diet and easing your way out will help you drop that excess water.

I had a horrible experience like this and went from 205 on stage to 252 like 1.5 month later. I was so bloated and swollen. Couldn't even walk down the street without my calfs cramping. My body was shutting down and forcing me to sleep every 3 hours or so. On top of that, the days following me show I lost my vision for 2 days.

Provo warned me not to do this, but I fucked up lol. Jump back to your diet asap and let it ride out. You'll be much happier in the long run

AnglicanBeachParty
06-10-2013, 06:09 AM
A lot of it is water retention from all the high sodium foods you ate. Returning to your diet and easing your way out will help you drop that excess water.

I believe this is true, and I think use of diuretics before the contest play into this as well.

DR.BB
06-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. I am back on my diet, staying just under maintenance with chicken, tilapia, veggies...