PDA

View Full Version : TUF 19 - Huerta vs. Maynard

Plates
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
- UFC FIGHT NIGHT 19: HUERTA VS. MAYNARD
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/9047-HuertaMaynard.jpg
A lightweight match-up between Roger Huerta and Gray Maynard has been agreed to for UFC Fight Night 19, MMAWeekly.com has learned.

The bout was first reported as a possibility by Sherdog.com, and subsequently confirmed by sources close to the fight. The event is scheduled for Sept. 16, at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.

Huerta has been inactive since a loss to Kenny Florian at UFC 87 took him off the title contender list at 155-pounds. In the pre-fight buildup, Huerta made waves with an interview where he openly questioned the payout practices of the promotion.

The 26-year-old Hispanic fighter had been promoted heavily by the UFC, gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated in May 2007.

Following the Florian fight, his first loss in seven UFC appearances, he softened his stance, saying his views were a matter of sound business practices.

The layoff, however, lead many to believe he had lost the UFC's good graces.

Huerta in January announced he was taking a hiatus from MMA to pursue acting opportunities, including a development deal with Lions Gate Pictures.

Maynard, 30, has been on his way towards a title shot since a dominating performance over Jim Miller at UFC 96. Since a freak occurrence at the finale of "The Ultimate Fighter" season 5, where Maynard first came into the UFC fold, he has notched five straight victories. The Las Vegas wrestling standout trains at Xtreme Couture alongside Randy Couture, Tyson Griffin, Jay Hieron, and Forrest Griffin, among others.

Plates
06-26-2009, 10:55 AM
-I like this match up. Its going to be a battle of the chest tats. Hopefully Huerta doesnt have too much ring rust. Also, I hope we dont see another boring ass Maynard fight that goes to a decision. zzzzzzzzz

bringingthehuge
06-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I hope its a good fight but Maynard is a dominant wrestler and if he can't finish his opponent or get finished, its going to be long and boring

Sensei
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
This could be a bad style match up for huerta, but if he proves himself he is instantly back in the lightweight title hunt. Could be boring fight though if gray plays it safe with lay & pray