PDA

View Full Version : Knee replacement

Rocco1943
07-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi guys, I have a question for all of you. It looks like I will probably have to have my left knee replaced in the next few months. I just had meniscus repair done about 4 weeks ago and a lot of cartilage fragments removed and was hoping to be ok for several months. But, this past Friday I got dragged out on the dance floor by my wife's cousin (lol) and now I can hardly walk. So, if the surgery is sooner than I expected I was wondering if any of you either have or know any lifters with knee replacement and if so, what can I expect as far as leg work after the surgery heals. Any squatting or what can I expect. Thanks in advance for your input.

Hammerfit
07-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Hi guys, I have a question for all of you. It looks like I will probably have to have my left knee replaced in the next few months. I just had meniscus repair done about 4 weeks ago and a lot of cartilage fragments removed and was hoping to be ok for several months. But, this past Friday I got dragged out on the dance floor by my wife's cousin (lol) and now I can hardly walk. So, if the surgery is sooner than I expected I was wondering if any of you either have or know any lifters with knee replacement and if so, what can I expect as far as leg work after the surgery heals. Any squatting or what can I expect. Thanks in advance for your input.

Good news for you. If you have a successful surgery it will be much stronger than before. I had mine done 12 years ago. It takes a good year of smart training but the knee will be able to handle alot more work than before. Pick your surgeon carefully. Talk to some of his patients. Make sure you specify Quad sparing procedure.

I have squatted over 400lbs and leg pressed over 1000 lbs with good form and full ROM with this replacement.

Rocco1943
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I am happy with the doc. I have used him for years with both knee's. I have severe arthritis in both. I'll check on the quad sparing procedure, I haven't heard about that yet. I'm not sure how long I can postpone it and he and I haven't discussed the surgery in detail yet. I'll have to get your input on the training after the surgery. I always strive for form over weight. So I'm looking forward to your tips. Thanks again.

TonyElTigre
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
I think he is right. You def want to choose your doc carefully when it comes to this surgery. I really think that you will bounce back and be ready to fully take on everything that comes your way very soon. Good luck with your surgery and are you dieting at all right now?

Rocco1943
07-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Yeah Tony, I have dropped about 20 lbs over the past 3 months. I would like to get another 15-20 off. I was reading some info on my Doc's website and he does the quad sparing procedure and teaches it twice a year in Europe. thanks for your input