PDA

View Full Version : Fortissimus 2009

robert da strongman
06-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Derek Poundstone to Lead Off Fortissimus 2009
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

Montmagny, Quebec - This is one of those drawings where you’d prefer to be at the top of the list, but 2008 Fortissimus winner Derek Poundstone was drawn for the leadoff position in this year’s contest.

The opening today included bestowing a Fortissimus Lifetime Achievement Award on four-time World’s Strongest Man winner Magnus Ver Magnusson, who in expressing his thanks, graciously saluted the organizing committee, since he said that he knew firsthand how difficult it is to organize a strongman contest.

Here’s the starting order for Fortissimus 2009:

Derek Poundstone
Brian Shaw
Derek Boyer
Andrus Murumets
Mark Felix
Agris Kazelniks
Mikhail Koklyaev
Zydrunas Savickas
Louis-Philippe Jean
Christian Savoie
Travis Ortmayer
Phil Pfister
Jimmy Marku
Terry Hollands

robert da strongman
06-26-2009, 06:08 PM
i have to get the link but someone will be live blogging it.

robert da strongman
06-26-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.fortissimus.ca/pages/index_e.aspx?ArticleID=108

http://www.fortissimus.ca/app/ImageRepository/1/galerie/cover_2.jpg

events (http://www.fortissimus.ca/pages/index_e.aspx?DetailID=183)

The LOG LIFT

Zydrunas Savickas

- The DEADLIFT (modified version from Powerlifting)

Mariusz Pudzianowski

- The YOKE

Ervin Katona

- The FARMER (FERGUS) POWER WALK

Phil Pfister

- The ATLAS (McGLASHEN) STONES LIFT

Travis Ortmayer

- The NATURAL STONES OF STRENGTH LIFT

Derek Poundstone

- The HUSAFELL STONE CARRY (and related)

Ervin Katona

- The APOLLON AXLE LIFT

Zydrunas Savickas

- The ONE-ARM DUMBBELL LIFT (Louis Cyr style)

Derek Poundstone

- The PYRAMID WEIGHT LIFT (Power stairs)

Mikhaïl Koklyaev

lilfella
06-26-2009, 06:16 PM
That line up is STACKED!

robert da strongman
06-26-2009, 06:17 PM
they need to televise this!

tjoe
06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
unfortunately not this year :(
going to be quite the battle...

robert da strongman
06-26-2009, 06:28 PM
unfortunately not this year :(
going to be quite the battle...

yeah...

rolling thunder tonight.

i cant imagine 10 events in 2 days.

lilfella
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
they need to televise this!
With all the crap on tv how can they not televise this!

Thad
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
This is going to be a hell of a contest.

tjoe
06-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Mark Felix Wins the 2009 IronMind Rolling® Thunder World Championships

It came down to duel between a past world record holder and the current world record holder in the Rolling Thunder, and when the dust settled, Mark Felix - the current world record holder - prevailed.

He made it fly: Mark Felix blew up this 271-pound lift, defending his Rolling Thunder World Championship crown. Randall J. Strossen photo.

But give Andrus Murumets his due, because tonight Mark Felix and he were the class of a very tough field: At 115.5 kg, the field had been cut to Mark Felix and Andrus Murumets, as Phil Pfister didn’t quite have the steam to make this weight and Odd Haugen completed the lift, but he hadn’t waited for Magnus Ver Magnusson’s down signal, so it was no lift.

After Mark Felix and Andrus Murmets made the 115.5-kg weight look easy, they jumped to 123 kg, and once again, Mark Felix made it look simple. When Andrus Murumets couldn’t complete the lift, Mark Felix - 2009 Rolling Thunder World Championship in hand - attacked his world record, taking 302 pounds, but it was a little too heavy even for him tonight.

Paul Ohl called the action - in French and in English - for a crowd of about 500 spectators, and lest anyone question the name of this event, the thunderstorm that broke out part way through the contest provided a level of theater beyond anything that might have been scripted.

tjoe
06-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Just a quick rundown of how I see things so far and what is going on. This post will be longer then posts I make at the contest, because at the contest I will be uploading texts to the forum via my BlackBerry. Also, please feel free to visit this link to see pictures via my phone http://www.itookthisonmyphone.com/ga...ortissimus2009 The picture uploaded so far are of Zydrunas sitting at the banquet table awaiting the athletes first event starting order selection. The lady pictured in the red dress is Zydrunas's fiance'. He just asked her to marry him a couple months ago and they have been together for many years dating. With her watching the contest from the sidelines, I'm am sure Zydrunas is more determined then ever to win. This is his first contest since asking her to be his wife.

Zydrunas Savickas had a small problem with his visa and was stuck in the airport in Lithuania for an extra day... luckily he had a friend at some embassy who helped him get everything straightened out. So he is here now, and I've never seen him look better! He is about 385lbs and looking very fit, smaller waist, very very thick shoulder and trap area. He says that he in the best shape of his life and is in a very good mood. He was selected as the 8th athlete to start tomorrow.

Derek Poundstone seems to always have to fight against adversity. To start with, he became very sick his first day in Canada. Caught some kind of stomach virus and could not eat or keep anything down and in. He lost about 10-15 lbs. The next day he was looking better but still seemed a little under the weather, but at least he could eat. Today, he looks fantastic, but still has not been able to keep his weight up. He weighed in at 309 today. He is in great spirits though and loves the challenge of fighting through the hardest challenges life throws at you. Another challenge came today... he was selected first to go tomorrow. So he must go up against Brian Shaw tomorrow and both together must set a blistering pace which they hope holds up while the remaining 12 athletes go. Derek smiled when he heard his name though, actually enjoying the fact that he will set the starting pace.

Travis Ortmayer is in great shape mentally and physically. He's weighing in at about 325 to 330, looking very solid and walking around with a constant grin on his face and a very serious look in his eyes. Travis will be cranking up the intensity tomorrow more the he ever has I think. With his wife Lucy at home pregnant, I'm sure that Travis has a little extra fuel to add when needed to his psycho fire. Expect big things from Travis at Fortissimus this year. Travis was selected to go 11th, and he will be up against Phil Pfister in the power stairs, his long time friend/ arch nemesis...haha. Pfister loves to pick on Travis and calls him Trevor just to mess with him... It will be a good starting event battle for sure, and Pfister is very good in power stairs so that will help Travis keep up a good pace in an event that he is still trying to bring up his performance levels in.

Phil Pfister just arrived today, is looking very massive and chilled out. Pfister always looks cool headed though, and it is hard to tell what is lurking beneath the surface. I expect him to bring out the Wolfman tomorrow and put on an incredible performance.. Like I said before... he was selected 12th to go, and seems very happy about that, especially since he goes up against Travis...haha

Brian Shaw is weighing in at 390 and said he can't wait to start competing. He seems very relaxed and his analyzing the events and trying to figure out the best way to execute his performances. Even with such massive athletes from around the world walking around, Brian is still the biggest guy here. He was joking around a good bit with Mikhail Koklyaev earlier, so I'm sure he will have some fun experiences to tell everyone when he gets back. This is his first time competing against Zydrunas Savickas, and he is looking forward to the challenge and learning experience.

Mikhail Koklyaev is looking much bigger then he did at Mohegan. He has Katerina from the PLSE here to help him out and is in the best spirits. Joking around at times, listening to headphones and getting amped up at others. He was selected seventh to go during the Power Stairs event. Mikhail is known for having great power stairs technique and for being one of the best in the world at this event... many think his only rival in the event is Mariusz Pudzianowski. Mikhail should do a great job in Fortissimus this year.

Andrus Murumets is walking around like a bull and seems very inwardly focused. I'm a big fan of Andrus and he is a favorite European athlete of mine. Andrus just does his thing when he competes and walks aways like it was nothing. Amazing strength all around with a quiet intensity. Andrus is one of the nicest guys around and I hope he does well. I think he was chosen to go 4th in the starting event. Andrus is looking big and solid, seems healthy with no problems... so expect him to be pushing a good pace this weekend.

Terry Hollands, what can you say, looks bigger then Mohegan, seems relaxed and confident. I think I saw him smoking again... so we all need to give him hell on this forum when he gets back... Other then that, everything is fine and lady luck was on his side tonight because he was chosen last to go in the first event. Hit or miss with the power stairs, so this gives him a great chance to try to set a good starting place and keep it going with the next 2 events which suit him very well... Yoke and Deadlift. Terry could very well have a huge lead midday through tomorrow if he keeps everything together.

LP Jean is the hometown hero. He is in great shape and everything seems to be coming together for him to have a great contest. He says that he is in great shape and has peaked perfectly for this contest. I can't remember what starting place LPJ got, but I know is was mid pack... These Fortissimus events are good for LPJ, especially the dumbbell pressing eventing. We will see what happens tomorrow, but LPJ looks in the shape to deliver on his prediction of a top 5 placement.

I need to get moving and get some other stuff done. Hopefully I can type another update after the contest tomorrow. I will try to sent updates as things happen too.

Hope everyone is excited as I am for this contest. Paul Ohl and the Fortissimus organizers really have put together a first class event here... the way everything is being handled is above and beyond with a true touch of class. This town of Montmagny has been hit very hard by the global recession, yet despite the challenges, Fortissimus is going on bigger and better then the previous year with more money for the athletes and respect for the athletes is seen in all the details that all go into making this contest. Paul Ohl and Fortissimus are non-profit... everything that goes in goes out, the athletes are this top priority, and it is truly a blessing to be able to watch Fortissimus.

robert da strongman
06-27-2009, 11:47 AM
great info.

tjoe
06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
1 - Z
2 - Misha
3 - Derek
4 - Travis

robert da strongman
06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Z can move. what were the weights?

tjoe
06-27-2009, 04:03 PM
1 - Z
2 - Terry
3 - Derek

tjoe
06-27-2009, 04:37 PM
after two events: Savickas 28, Poundstone 24, Shaw 19, Ortmayer 18

robert da strongman
06-27-2009, 05:10 PM
dang!!
Z is on a roll!

tjoe
06-27-2009, 06:19 PM
After three events at Fortissimus: Savickas 41, Poundstone 36, Ortmayer 28, Shaw 27.5

Zydrunas Savickas just won part one of the IronMind Overhead World Challenge, extending his lead over Derek Poundstone.

Fortissimus after four events: Savickas 55, Poundstone 46, Ortmayer 41, Shaw 38.5

Derek had trouble with the overhead pressing... not sure why yet (usually his strong point)

tjoe
06-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Fortissimus end of first day: Savickas 64, Poundstone 58, Shaw 52.5, Ortmayer 49, Koklyaev 43

that's it for day 1. Thanks to Garrick Daft and IronMindEnt on Twitter for all the updates! More to come tomorrow!

Little Bear
06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Poundstone likes being a little behind going into the later events so hopefully he pulls this one out and gets the triple crown at WSM this year :)

tjoe
06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope so. He was in almost the same spot last year. Remember he won it on the final event by hoisting the 530lbs. feild stone! I am sure that big Z came a little more prepared this year though. What's funny is Derek has nothing higher than a third place finish in all events so far yet he stands in SECOND overall and only by a few points...

robert da strongman
06-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Montmagny, Quebec - Making it look like it was just another day on the job for him, Zydrunas Savickas had an impressive first day at Fortissimus.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/export/sites/default/ironmind/zydrunas-sig_lg.jpg
Zydrunas Savickas pounded out 11 reps on the Sigmarsson Wheels Deadlift at Fortissimus 2009 today. Only Mark Felix did better on this event and Zydrunas Savickas ended the day with a strong lead. Randall J. Strossen photo.

He won the Power Stairs (Pyamid of Strength) and the Super Yoke, came in second in the Sigmarsson Deadlift, won the first round of the IronMind Overhead World Challenge and even though he dipped to fifth place in the first round of the Slater King of Stones World Challenge, Zydrunas Savickas ended the first day of Fortissimus with a strong lead.

Heavy was the word today, and nowhere was this more apparent than in the first round of the IronMind Overhead World Challenge, where nobody got beyond the third of the five lifts in the medley. The first round of the Slater King of Stones World Challenge also proved defiant, as only Brian Shaw loaded all six stones.

At the end of the first day, Zydrunas Savickas had established himself as the man to beat. Here are the top ten:

1. Zydrunas Savickas 64 points
2. Derek Poundstone 58
3. Brian Shaw 52.5
4. Travis Ortmayer 49
5. Mikhail Koklyaev 43
6. Andrus Murumets 38
7. Phil Pfister 37
8. Terry Hollands 32.5
9. Louis Philippe Jean 30
10.Agris Kazelniks 27

tjoe
06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ciajack2008

this guys got day 1 events uploaded!

tjoe
06-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Savickas 77, Poundstone 72, Shaw 64.5, Ortmayer 56, Koklyaev 54

tjoe
06-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Derek LPJ and Z all successful with 2750 in the back lift...

Tied in points for that event.

tjoe
06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
With 3 events to go at Fortissimus: Savickas 90.5, Poundstone 83, Shaw 75.5, Ortmayer 67, Koklyaev 62

tjoe
06-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Sorry. Mistake earlier. Only lpj and z got 2750.

tjoe
06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
:eek:Derek is in the lead by half point now!! Zydrunas could not finish the farmers.

Little Bear
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeaaaahhhh buddy!!!!! Go poundstone!!!

tjoe
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
With 2 events to go at Fortissimus, it's Poundstone 97, Savickas 96.5, Shaw 84.5, Ortmayer 77, Koklyaev 66

Thad
06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
:eek:Derek is in the lead by half point now!! Zydrunas could not finish the farmers.
Hell yeah, go DP! I've been keeping track of this, looks like I can't go too far now.

BrotherIron
06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
With 2 events to go at Fortissimus, it's Poundstone 97, Savickas 96.5, Shaw 84.5, Ortmayer 77, Koklyaev 66

What are the 2 events left?

tjoe
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
not positive but I think the 1 hand overhead press and field stones.

Little Bear
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
If Poundstone can keep his lead and extend in in the 1 hand overhead press he can probably take it. Hopefully the same goes for the field stones.

tjoe
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Travis and z only athletes to finish dumbbell medley!!!! Derek is behind z by 5.5 points now.

Dereks shoulder is bothering him.

Last event coming up next!! 4 natural stones!!!

tjoe
06-28-2009, 06:28 PM
One to go at Fortissimus: Savickas 110.5, Poundstone 105, Shaw 94.5, Ortmayer 90, Koklyaev 77

tjoe
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Zydrunas Savickas just won Fortissimus. Derek Poundstone was second and Brian Shaw was third.

tjoe
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
No triple crown this year but Z and Derek had one helluva good battle!

HITstrongman
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Fortissimus 2009: Bigger and Better

Bigger, heavier and more potent in every way, Fortissimus 2009 built on its base and improved - delivering a strongman contest that has no peer.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/export/sites/default/ironmind/zydrunas-fort09_lg.jpg
Life imitates art: Zydrunas Savickas lifts the symbol of Fortissimus. Randall J. Strossen photo.

With its overall goal of testing the strength of the world’s top professional strongmen, Fortissimus might seem to have much in common with other strongman contests, but what separates Fortissimus is its 10-event structure, heavy weights, ties to history and community support. Here, passion rules the day and while dreams are nice, at Fortissimus, the dreams become reality.

The infrastructure of the contest evolved since last year, as new implements were developed, top international referees Marcel Mostert and Ilkka Kinnunen were added, a larger venue housed the event and prize money increased substantially. In addition, a certification board was formed to oversee event and equipment standards, and Dione Wessels managed the all-important scorekeeping operation. What remained unchanged was the commitment to the contest itself, its competitors and the traditions from which all of this sprang, so the net effect is that what had already been very good just got even better.

Coming into this year’s contest, strongman fans eagerly anticipated a rematch between 2008 winner Derek Poundstone and 2008 runner-up Zydrunas Savickas. With so much being said about how this battle would shape up, it could easily have fizzled, but it didn’t, as one man’s advantage waxed and then waned, with their relative positions changing throughout the contest.

In the end, though, Zydrunas Savickas was the man who stood at the top of the heap - not just winning Fortissimus but also the IronMind Overhead World Challenge and the Sigmarsson overall total poundage award as well. Derek Poundstone showed once again that the word quit does not exist in his vocabulary. Brian Shaw did himself proud, finishing third overall and winning the Slater King of Stones World Challenge, with such contest highlights as being the only man to load all the Atlas stones.

Here are the final results:

Zydrunas Savickas 124.5
Derek Poundstone 118
Brian Shaw 106.5
Travis Ortmayer 94
Mikhail Koklyaev 87
Phil Pfister 82
Andrus Murumets 74
Louis-Philippe Jean 73.5
Terry Hollands 55.5
Mark Felix 54
Christian Savoie 49
Agris Kazelniks 47
Jimmy Marku 32
Derek Boyer 24

Little Bear
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Well I gotta hand it to Poundstone, he was sick and lost some weight and still competed even when his shoulder was killing him. A true competitor. Reminds a lot of people of the days of Kaz.

tjoe
06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
His shoulder is fine. Due to the drop in body weight his overhead pressing suffered... but no injury.

HITstrongman
06-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know if this was filmed for dvd like last year?

lilfella
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
What were the payouts?

BrotherIron
06-29-2009, 06:43 PM

I would def buy a DVD if they made one.

tjoe
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM

What were the payouts?

I can't help on either of these. Ironmind said the payout was increased this year but did not go into numbers. I know they filmed last years and sold a dvd but I am not sure about this year. Even if they did it won't be ready for a while yet.

Kev
06-29-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ciajack2008

this guys got day 1 events uploaded!

Awesome.

It would be great if Derek came back on the radio show and gave his thoughts on the competition. It just didn't go his way, but 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of considering Savickas gave such an amazing performance.

tjoe
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Awesome.

It would be great if Derek came back on the radio show and gave his thoughts on the competition. It just didn't go his way, but 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of considering Savickas gave such an amazing performance.PM Dave and see if he'll set it up. I did, but the more people that show interest the better!

Kev
06-30-2009, 10:50 AM
PM Dave and see if he'll set it up. I did, but the more people that show interest the better!

I will do.

Here's Derek's girlfriend's youtube page, she has all his events up and labelled. It looked like an awesome competition.
http://www.youtube.com/user/knelly19

HITstrongman
06-30-2009, 11:28 AM
PM Dave and see if he'll set it up. I did, but the more people that show interest the better!

I just PM'ed him as well, hope to hear from Derek. I would like to hear about Mohegan Sun as well, he owned that show.

tjoe
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Many thanks for the huge interest you all showed for FORTISSIMUS.

Now it is done. And it will belong to the history of the sport of Strongman.

Why ? Because what makes history is the simple matter of a bunch of exceptional human beings standing up to an uncommon challenge.

We were all blessed to have witnessed just that.

Derek mentioned to me that he "felt like David facing Goliath." To me Derek looked like one heck of a Giant doing what no strongman had done before him : get Zydrunas to dig for the best he had in himself . Which he did.

Fortissimus started on a dramatic note: Zydrunas lost a day getting the new biometric passport and Derek lost two days as he was so sick that it could have cost him the entire competition.

But then it happened. To beat one another world records were needed. As Derek blew the 30-meter course in 38 secs in the Farmer's , Zydrunas blew the Overhead One-arm Challenge in exactly the same 38 secs. What could we ask for more ?

On that day, with no doubt in anyone's mind, Zydrunas Savickas stood as the Strongest Man on Earth. And Derek Pondstone proved, without a doubt either, that he was a crown jewel for the sport of Strongman.

But what was also very clearly said by the experts on location, that including Magnus Ver Magnusson, Odd Haugen, Dione Wessels, Ekaterina Mayorskaya, Dr William Crawford, Dr Samuel Dubé, and other notables, let aside the medias, was that the sport of Strongman was brought to another level.

I have lived a unique experience with 14 true gentlemen ( the 14 warriors that proudly stood up to FORTISSIMUS 2009 ).

My very special thanks to Garrick Daft. He made special things happen. Quite an asset to MM Forum. And thank you Chris for doing all that camera work !

One last note: Brian Shaw is one gentle giant and the future of the sport. Need I to say more !

Hail to the ONE !