PDA

View Full Version : Life by the Book ~ Pocket Sponsor

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

Even when it hurts like hell, hold fast. The pain is the arrow coming out, not the arrow going in. Faith is not about trusting a God who will rescue you from arrows but trusting in the process. Faith will center you, not rescue you.

As the pain and fear pass, I hold fast.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:07 AM
There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Whatever you were thinking of doing, you can not rationalize it into "right" action by saying, "yes but this" or "no but that." You know what's right and you know what's wrong-that gut feeling guides you.

When things go wrong, I don't go with them.

Excerpt from the Pocket Sponsor, By The
Hazelden author of ' Day By Day' & other Meditation Books

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:08 AM

If people don't agree with you, so what? If people do agree with you, so what? Our program is one of suggestions, not conformity.

I do not need to conform to be comfortable. 'Comfortable' is conscious contact, not conscious copycat.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:09 AM

All of us chemical dependents have come from the same place, no where. We all enter the world of recovery by changing our place to now here. No Where to Now Here. It works.

NOW is the working unit of my life.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Are we remembering the so-called 'good times' right now? How nice a 'high' would be? We use this hour to REALLY think about what got us to this fight for sobriety. It wasn't because we were having a lot of fun!

Thank you, God, for the beautiful day I'm going to have if I can just get rid of my attitude.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:11 AM

He who laughs, lasts! 'But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered. (P 132, AA Big Book)

My laughter is good medicine.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:12 AM

You certainly are not good at every aspect of service to your group. You may be good at opening meetings, emptying ash trays, remembering to contact people, or going out on Twelve Step calls. Maybe you are lousy at greeting people at the door, holding office, getting birthday cakes, or paying the rent. Whatever you lack skills for, others can pick up; whatever you are good at, recognize!

For my shortcomings, I delegate; for my strengths, I congratulate.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:13 AM

'Being angry at God won't hurt God, and neither will it provoke Him to take measures against us. If it makes us feel better to vent our anger at Him over a painful situation, we are free to do it. The only thing wrong with doing it is that what happened to us was not really God's fault. -Harold S. Kushner, When Bad Things Happen to Good People

Usually, things don't happen TO make me angry; things happen THAT make me angry.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:14 AM

Life begins right outside your comfort zone. Start changing.

If I fail to change the person I was when I came in, that person will take me out!

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:15 AM

If you are not happy with what you have, what makes you think you would be happy with more?

Happiness is not having what I want but wanting what I have.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Get a sponsor; get a program; get into service; get a Higher Power in your life; get a life; get it right. Wake up and smell the recovery.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:17 AM

One way to tell how well you are practicing the principles in all your affairs is to notice how you treat people who can be of no service to you.

I go out of my way to be kind to the very next person I encounter, regardless of what they can or cannot do for me.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:18 AM

It is our experience in recovery that a Power greater then ourselves places the answers before us that we need to hear when we need to hear them. Often we don't like the answers and practice self-will by trying to force our solution. Forcing solutions is the same as ignoring Step Three.

When I force the solution, the solution becomes the problem.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:19 AM

Whatever spiritual values you adopt are unique to you. You may adopt a strong religious stance or a more intimate spiritual philosophy from within. In any case, the spiritual path you seek is up to you and not those around you. Be comfortable with your spiritual choices and don't try to please others.

The more I have on the inside, the less I need on the outside.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:21 AM
When working with others don't think you haven't got what it takes. If you have one more day without a drink or a drug, then you have that one more day to give away.

I can't give away what I don't have, but even one More day sober is worth sharing.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:21 AM

Prayer does not change what you are praying about. Prayer changes you.

I learn to 'hit' it with a prayer, not a chair and I change!

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:23 AM

All our suggestions are free. The ones you don't take are the ones you end up paying for.

When all else fails, I take the suggestions.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:23 AM

We find that the winners do what they have to do and the losers do what they want to do.

The winners are stuck with me.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:25 AM

There are two times when you need to go to a meeting, when you think you need one and when you know you don't.

Rather than thinking about going to a meeting, I go to the meeting, and then think about it.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Sanskrit saying "God sleeps in the mineral, awakens in the plants, walks in the animals, and thinks in you." The Universal Source of life actually thinks in you. Use this well.

Every bad choice I ever made began with a single
Thought. Every good choice I ever made began with a
Single thought. I choose my thoughts carefully.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:27 AM

Grateful addicts don't drink and drug and drinking and drugging addicts aren't grateful.

My gratitude is not the word but my desire to say the word. My desire to say the word is a corner stone of my recovery.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:28 AM

If you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.

The state of my world is a reflection of the state of my mind.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:29 AM
"We could never learn to be brave and patient, if there were only joy in the world." ~Helen Keller

My adversities are opportunities in disguise.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:30 AM

Many people think that the Twelve Steps are the work. But they are not. The Twelve Steps are the preparation for doing the real work. The real work is in reaching out to the still suffering alcoholic and addict.'God has no hands but yours.' (attributed to Mother Theresa).

I become the hands of my Higher Power.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:30 AM
We not only attempt geo-graphical "cures" while drinking, but often while sober too. When you make a move "for the better," unless you can honestly say you are running to something positive, then you are running from something that you haven't faced.

No matter how fast or how far I go, I can't outrun myself.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:31 AM

We came here for our drugging and stay in part for hugging.

Hugs are one way the fellowship demonstrates to me that it isn't 'me' and 'you' anymore, it's 'we' and 'us.'

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:33 AM

The best remedy for anger is delay.

I don't use my 'claws when agitated,' I learn to 'pause when agitated.' (P 87, AA Big Book)

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:34 AM

Some people quote the Bible, Qur'an, Torah, or some other holy text claiming that it is your only road to recovery. You may or may not find that comforting. Whether or not it is comforting you, remember it is comforting them. Be tolerant and gracious.

I may not find something personally helpful, but I find it helpful to be personable.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:35 AM

In our fellowship, there are always those who feel they have the ultimate wisdom to impart to you. These highly verbose people may set your nerves on edge with incredibly self-serving 'words of wisdom.' They may be full of themselves, but they are probably not trying to hurt you.

If I judge people, I have no time to love them

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:36 AM

In order to grasp recovery we must learn, not accumulate knowledge, but really learn. Accumulating knowledge is moving from the known to the known, but learning is moving from the known to the unknown.

Each time I say, 'Thy will, not mine, be done,' I move from the known to the unknown and I can learn.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:37 AM

Sobriety is a grant, not a gift. A gift is something we get to keep forever. A grant is contingent on us doing something to keep it.

I work steps because my recovery is 'contingent on the maintenance of {my} spiritual program. (P 85, AA Book)

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:38 AM

'You can't laugh and think at the same time! So every time you laugh you're getting a break from you.' ~Ken D. (P 153, Alkiespeak)

I take my program seriously, not myself.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:39 AM
Don’t get ‘seeking serenity’ con-fused with ‘seeking utopia.’ The Twelve-Step programs do not open the gates of heaven to let us in, they open the gates of hell to let us out.

I feel lighter and better about myself when I don’t expect
a perfect world simply because I am clean and sober.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:40 AM

You must learn to pick up a program, not just set down a drink! They call this foot work. Your Higher Power wants to make a deal with you. You do the foot work and He'll take care of the results.

If I have one hand in the fellowship and one hand in God's, I can't pick up today.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:41 AM

Don't allow anger, bitterness, and other character defects to affect your family, friends, and fellowship. It is all too easy to lash out at ones close to you who will 'understand' your hostility and give you room because you are in recovery. Treat them as you would a newcomer for they deserve as much.

Harsh words break no bones but they do break hearts.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:42 AM

Although romance and relationships are an important aspect of balance in our lives--it is never the solution to drinking and other drug taking. It is sometimes easier to focus on passion, rather than trudge through the steps!

I practice these principles in all my affairs, (pun intended).

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:42 AM

Seven days without a meeting, makes one weak.

Just as I am not independently wealthy and need to work to stay solvent, I am not independently healthy and need meetings to stay soulvent.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:43 AM

Sobriety often brings us effects we never expected, like becoming the person we used to resent!

I used to resent people whose standards I could not live up to. Now, by the Grace of God, I am one!

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:44 AM

Being lonely gets in the way of learning how to live alone. You are not alone even though you may have felt alone in a crowd in the past. The remedy for loneliness is service. Show up to a meeting 30 minutes early tonight and help set up. We promise you will not be lonely!

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:45 AM

Having a God of our own under-standing does not mean we have to withhold saying 'God' around non-believers. People who try to get the word 'God' out of the Twelve Steps in order not to offend others, are missing the point. The point is, no one has to say 'God' in order to recover, it does not mean others can't call their Higher Power 'God.'

God is the answer. Now what is my problem?

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:46 AM

It is not your duty to solve other people's problems, arbitrate their disputes and raise their children. If you believe this is Twelve Step work, you will only be hurt when they reject your advice and shocked when they blame you for their troubles.

My job is to carry the message, not deliver the drunk.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:48 AM

Although thoughts are things, they are not actions; although feelings are real, they are not facts. They only have the power we give them through our actions.

When I act kindly, I give power to loving thoughts and feelings; when I use harsh words and 'get even', I give power to angry thoughts and feelings.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:49 AM

Although there are no Twelve Step gurus, and God knows we are not saints, there are times when the words and actions of some members touch us so much that we practically consider them saints. We never forget though, that they are human and still suffer. So we reach out to them as they reach out to others.

I remember that the 'alcoholic that still suffers' could just as well be an old-timer as it is a newcomer, my sponsor as my sponsee.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:50 AM
Today you are leading a life. When you were drinking and drugging, you were a life being led.

It is God’s job to make miracles and I am one of them.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:54 AM

Don't ever think you have nothing left to learn in the fellowship and that everyone wants to hear you talk incessantly because you are so wise. You can not have an open mouth and an open mind at the same time.

When I do all the talking, I can only hear what I already know

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:58 AM
You take them to meetings, but can’t make them listen; you give them a basic text but you can’t make them read it; you set a good example but you can’t stop them from picking up.

I pick them up, as long as they don’t pick up.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 03:58 AM

We are now learning to keep our thoughts in recovery and not in the insanity of the past. The program fixes it so we don't have to suffer from insanity anymore. Now we can enjoy it!

Crazy-making is what I make of it.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:01 AM

Few of us realize that God is all we need until God is all we have.

If I can't find God, I know who moved.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:02 AM

If you rely on meetings alone to keep you sober, then you must find a 24 hour meeting. Meetings are for identifying and sharing. People in the meetings will tell you what they did and suggest what you can do, but they can't do it for you.

I can pray for a good harvest, but I still have to plow.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:03 AM

Don't let your starting point in recovery ever discourage you. Don't let your starting point today put a frown on your face. Anyone who gets to be an old-timer had to be a newcomer first. Smile and start.

My journey of a thousand smiles begins with the First Step.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:04 AM
"Living life on life's terms," just what does this mean to us? It doesn't mean we will get a brownie button for every day we stay abstinent. It simply means life can be tough and we can stay sober if we chose to live by principle.

"Don't you worry none, just take it like it comes,

One day at a time." Song, One Day at a Time

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:05 AM

If you don't deal with your feelings, they'll deal with you. Whatever you are thinking right now is creating how you feel. One of the best ways to deal with the way you feel is to create positive thoughts.

I create positive feelings by thinking positive thoughts.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:05 AM

Now and then with a little time, we stop working one through nine. The price of recovery is eternal vigilance. Steps Ten, Eleven, and Twelve insure that we keep working One through Nine.

No matter how much time I have from my last drink or drug, I am only Twelve Steps away from the next.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:06 AM

Whatever our problems, when we dwell on the problem, the problem gets bigger. When we dwell on the solution, the solution gets bigger.

I don't tell my Higher Power how big my problem is, I tell my problem how big my Higher Power is.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:07 AM

'If you are humble, nothing can touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know who you are.' ~Mother Theresa

Humility is that virtue which reduces me to the proper size without degrading me, and increases me in statue without inflating me.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:09 AM

You may not always know what is right but you sure know what is wrong. Anytime you have to give excuses for why you do what you do, it's wrong.

If I have to explain or excuse it, then I can do without it.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:10 AM

If you meet more than three assholes in one day, you need a meeting. If you meet more than four, you need a meeting and to call your sponsor. Any more than that and you better be reviewing Steps One, Two and Three real hard.

When too many assholes get in my way, it means I need a check-up from the neck up.

lol

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:11 AM
“Nothing contributes more to the peace of the soul than having no opinion at all." ~George Christopher Lichtenberg

When I have no opinion on outside issues, I cannot be
Drawn into controversy. (Tradition Ten)

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:12 AM

Humility is not so much thinking less of yourself as it is thinking of yourself less.

True humility is accepting myself without embellishment and without embarrassment.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Alcoholics use the word “confusion” as a smokescreen so they can stay in self-will. The truth is, you are not really confused, most of the time. If you give up your confusion, you can’t do what you want, you have to do what is right.

I take the “con” out of confusion, and fuse my
Will to that of my Higher Power.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:13 AM

Progress, not perfection No matter how long you have been in recovery, no matter how long you have worked the steps, you will never raise above the level of human being.

I claim spiritual progress today, not spiritual perfection.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:15 AM

Many problems will be averted with a very simple code for behavior. This is called 'kindness.' Kindness is more then politeness; it means a warm concern for the other person's feelings.

I let my kindness be a gift to another and the tag reads, 'Please handle with tender loving care.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:15 AM

If there is someone weaker than you, be kind to them. If there is someone stronger than you, be kind to yourself.

What kind of person am I? The kind, kind.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:16 AM

This too shall pass. Sometimes it passes like a gentle breeze and sometimes it passes kinda like a kidney stone. Whichever, we can promise that whatever vexes you now, shall pass.

I give time, time because I know that when God made time, He/She made plenty of it.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:17 AM
We have been taught that the little white lie is OK because it keeps others from being hurt. We really don't know what will hurt another. Being dishonest with other people deprives them of the information they need to run their own lives.

Honesty is honesty. I understand that "little" dishonesties
Are a disservice to others as well as myself.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:18 AM

There are many times when crying is the appropriate thing to do. Tears let us know that you need to be supported and consoled. Do not be afraid to cry. Do not be afraid to support others when they cry.

Tears are liquid prayers.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:19 AM

Ramana Marhrshi talks about life's journey and likens it to a train trip. He says that you can carry your baggage on your head or set it on the floor beside you. Either way, both you and your baggage arrive at your destination. This is because the train carries your baggage, not you. If you prefer to carry your burdens on your head, it doesn't change the destination, it simply gives you a head ache.

I chose to let my Higher Power carry my baggage and my burdens.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Recovery takes place with every breath. And like your breath, you don’t really notice the progress. It goes on in the background of your life, but your life depends on it. Stop breathing and you notice immediately you need air; stop recovering and you notice immediately you need a program.

I inhale light, exhale dark. I inhale recovery,
Exhale despair.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:21 AM

There is a difference between sharing our experience and imposing our opinions on someone. A sure way to set yourself up for a 'slip' is to be convinced that others will slip if they don't listen to your opinion.

When my opinion means more to me than my sobriety, I set myself up for a SLIP (Sobriety Loses Its Priority).

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:21 AM
“We need courage to meet what comes and know that whatever it is, it will not last forever." ~Leo F. Buscaglia.

My problems are guidelines, not stop signs.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:22 AM

It really is a daily program. Think about it, if you only quit one day at a time, every day that you don't pick up will be an accomplishment. If you quit forever, you won't have accomplished anything until you're dead.

Today, my one day.

Sistersteel
06-29-2009, 04:23 AM

Safety is not something freely granted by the world. More people are hungry, homeless, sick, and in violent situations, than we care to admit. There are more lives ruined by chemical dependency that we care to admit. Yet the impermanence and insecurity of the earth plane is matched equally with the permanence and safety of the Divine Realm.

My Higher Power gave me a kit of spiritual tools; I use them to build a durable shelter.

thaAtrain
06-29-2009, 07:19 AM

Even when it hurts like hell, hold fast. The pain is the arrow coming out, not the arrow going in. Faith is not about trusting a God who will rescue you from arrows but trusting in the process. Faith will center you, not rescue you.

As the pain and fear pass, I hold fast.

Awesome...thatll certainly keep me level headed, under the squat bar, and in life.

Thanks.