PDA

View Full Version : Support system

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Is your family on board for your bodybuilding endeavors, or are you alone in this? If anyone should "get it" and understand you and why you do this, family should... right?

BadAssBarbie
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think anyone completely "gets it" until they are the one doing it.

Angela123
02-17-2009, 02:21 PM
no one ever really gets it...as often as you explain it to them and even those who live with us...no one ever fully, fully gets it.

at first my family was worried. i had anoreixia in the past and for my first show, since i didnt have much muscle, i got very, very tiny and ripped. they were worried i would stay like that and get back into my anorexic mode. but then they saw i rebounded lol and in a few wks i was back to normal.

they became more supportive of it over the last years but now lately they have backtracked a bit, but for good reason. i let many other important priorities go by the wayside this last year bc i focused yoo much on competing and training...so they really want to see me take a break from it and get my life back on track. which they are right. im not bothereed by them not liking it so much, they are just being parents lol. and besides im old enough too not get upset if people dont like or understand what i do.

i had a very scary health scare recently...put me in the hospital for a few days. they assumed it was from my dieting and eatign low carb. that did bother me. its not from my damn diet. lol

my ex...we ended bc of it. though there were other reasons for our break up. but if you ask him...he will always say it was because i put too much time and effort into my training for my shows and never had time for him. and he just couldnt be with someone whose goals and interests were to excel in the bb anf fitness world. when really...yes i did neglect him too much...but i guess i did bc we had just grown apart bc of other reasons. ive matured a bit since that relationship though. i can now prioritize better. ive realized i dont have to stop my life when im training. my new bf..it was kind of rough for him too... but unlike my ex, he is so, so supportive and proud of me and as much as he complained about not seeing me as much when i was prepping, he always has stated he never wants me to quit...until im ready to.

cheddar cheese
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm extremely blessed to have the support of my family, husband and my fitbody team members, as stated above my team is the only ones that really "get it"

Gunz
02-17-2009, 03:39 PM
My family supports bb but they don't get it. It is easier having a husband that is a BB'er than one who is not. Though the first one was very supporative, attended all my shows, etc., I think he too had a little bit of "you have time to train, but not time for us" syndrome.

Kelly Baker
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Mine sort of get it and that includes my hubby. Most of my support comes from my training partners.

Damn Ondrea! Hope you're ok after your health scare!

GirlyMuscle
02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
My family understands and supports but I keep my life quite distant from them. Mainly, it's because I don't want to live the type of life they all do....not exercising, eating crap food, smoking, etc. They totally undestand when I bring my own food or exercise on a holiday, whatever. They will all be thee when I compete, too, as long as it's in my hometown. ;)

For real support I look to my online friends, real life friends, the people who are both and my sweetheart. These are my kindred spirits.

cheddar cheese
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
My family understands and supports but I keep my life quite distant from them. Mainly, it's because I don't want to live the type of life they all do....not exercising, eating crap food, smoking, etc. They totally undestand when I bring my own food or exercise on a holiday, whatever. They will all be thee when I compete, too, as long as it's in my hometown. ;)

For real support I look to my online friends, real life friends, the people who are both and my sweetheart. These are my kindred spirits.

Who knows maybe with the great example you are setting they will turn things around. My parents and my sister are very unhealthy, I'm hoping that maybe my lifestyle may rub off on them some day, not the competing part but exercise and diet.

Allifit
02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
My family is amazing and would support me if I chose to shovel shit for the rest of my life... BUT that doesnt mean they understand it or get it. They don't. They are as supportive as they can be given that they really don't know much about the whole process other then it makes me tired and hungry:)

My friends are terrible sometimes. Most 24 year olds are out drinking and partying and I'm in bed by 10pm. Tells you about my social life.

I'd say my biggest support lies in my friends who compete, others in the industry and Randy, my trainer/friend/more then friend whatever. :) He is a 38 year old retired national level bb and he is 24/7 supportive of me, down to rubbing my neck when I'm sore and cooking for me so I dont have to make all my meals. I'd be nowhere without him.

GirlyMuscle
02-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Who knows maybe with the great example you are setting they will turn things around. My parents and my sister are very unhealthy, I'm hoping that maybe my lifestyle may rub off on them some day, not the competing part but exercise and diet.They still ask me all the stupid "diet" questions just like every one else. That tells me righ tthere, they don't really get it.

My family is amazing and would support me if I chose to shovel shit for the rest of my life... BUT that doesnt mean they understand it or get it. They don't. They are as supportive as they can be given that they really don't know much about the whole process other then it makes me tired and hungry:)

My friends are terrible sometimes. Most 24 year olds are out drinking and partying and I'm in bed by 10pm. Tells you about my social life.

I'd say my biggest support lies in my friends who compete, others in the industry and Randy, my trainer/friend/more then friend whatever. :) He is a 38 year old retired national level bb and he is 24/7 supportive of me, down to rubbing my neck when I'm sore and cooking for me so I dont have to make all my meals. I'd be nowhere without him.Like I said above....they don't get it but they support me. Just like you said and thats why I spend so much time online....I spend my time with like-minded people....the people of rxmuscle.

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
My mom trained before all her surgeries and arthritis slowed her down, so she's behind me 100%. And she's the reason I do a birthday challenge every year. I'm carrying on her tradition.

My three kids all train and stay fit.

Their father and his family...*sigh* No...

Allifit
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
They still ask me all the stupid "diet" questions just like every one else. That tells me righ tthere, they don't really get it.

Like I said above....they don't get it but they support me. Just like you said and thats why I spend so much time online....I spend my time with like-minded people....the people of rxmuscle.
Yeah its hard, I think. I spend a lot of my day by myself so I tend to feel isolated in my lifestyle and way of thinking if it weren't for the positive feedback I get online and the internet forums (when they arent riddled with trash talking morons...and I dont mean here)....

kiMbergman
02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
My husband is 400% supportive of what ever I decide to do (or not to do).

musclegoddess65
02-18-2009, 10:12 PM
OMG my family is NOT supportive at all... ugh the stories I could tell about what my mother thinks of all this... my brother's, supportive, but don't get it and neither of them have ever shown up when I competed and I don't expect they will this time..

Work peeps, I am so sick of having every meal I eat be picked about... I try to be ok with it most days but sometimes it just bugs me to death...

guess that is why I spend a lot of time on here, where people do get it... and are supportive..

tammyp
02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
parents and friends are great..hubby can be 10000% supportive and do a 180 and not be.

Allifit
02-19-2009, 09:39 AM
parents and friends are great..hubby can be 10000% supportive and do a 180 and not be.
I think sometimes thats just men :) lol.

GirlyMuscle
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah its hard, I think. I spend a lot of my day by myself so I tend to feel isolated in my lifestyle and way of thinking if it weren't for the positive feedback I get online and the internet forums (when they arent riddled with trash talking morons...and I dont mean here)....I do the same thing. I spend a LOT of time alone. I like my life that way. I like my solitude. Not to sound conceited but I guess I like my own company. I'm ok on my own. I don't need people to entertain me. That being said, I also think I get carried away with it. I spend more time alone than I need to just because I don't feel like dealing with others. I don't pretend well. If I don't want to be somewhere or do something you'll know it and I have no feelings that I should. I can become quite the hermit if left to my own for too long.

fitbody
02-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Is your family on board for your bodybuilding endeavors, or are you alone in this? If anyone should "get it" and understand you and why you do this, family should... right?

as far as my family's concerned
other than my 7 yr old son Storm...
i'm alone on this one
that's why i created my own fitness family
it's called "Fit Body"
it still hurts a bit though...
ie: when i made a comeback after 9 yrs competitive layoff
last yr and i asked my mom,
if her and my dad would come to my show...
she wrinkled up her nose and said:
"Can I let you know?"
arggggggggghhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
but...
all my friends, clients and coworkers were out in force
when i came out for my routine
they were screaming so loud
i couldn't hear my music, it was awesome !!!!:cool:

SUPPORT, LIKE LOVE
IS WHERE YOU FIND IT
DON'T WASTE TIME TRYING
TO MAKE OTHERS UNDERSTAND,
CUZ ONLY SOMEONE WITH THE SAME PASSION
COULD UNDERSTAND...:)

dvsness
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
My bf gets it, especially since he finally got on stage last year.

My family doesn't get it, but some of them are just happy to see me follow through on my goals... even if to them it is weird to deprive yourself and exert physically.

BILLY GUNS
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
My bf gets it, especially since he finally got on stage last year.

My family doesn't get it, but some of them are just happy to see me follow through on my goals... even if to them it is weird to deprive yourself and exert physically.

Hmmmmm interesting thought:eek: